X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Hardy has a long road

Some may argue from the success of rookies like Eddie Royal that Hardy is behind in his learning curves. I'll disagree.

If you are a small receiver being quick and fast, you'll have a smaller learning curve in NFL. You just need to get open and you'll have space. If the QB can deliver the ball accurately, you catch it. End of story. Of course you'll need to learn how to run a route.

For players like Hardy, being tall and big, their game is quite different. They may not be able to shake out the smaller, nible CB of NFL like they have in college, but they have the size and strength to fight off them and catch the ball.

The key word here is "fight off." That means literally doing a little of hand fighting and getting your body AND you hands in better position to catch the ball. That's where the basketball rebound skills come into play, and porbably why hardy was successful in college because of his basketball background.

In NFL, the corners are in general of much higher caliber than most he faced in college. I saw a Hardy yesterday that did not know how to do some fighting work prior to the catching. He simply ran to a spot and jumped up, trying to out-leaping his cover guy. That may work when he's wide open, like his TD catch in Jacksonville. But it won't when people are draping all over him. He needs to use his body subtlely to sort of "bang the bodies" (in basketball term) before the arriving ball. That's a skill, and it may take some time to learn. I'd suggest him to take a look of some Burress' tape and if he wants to stay in Bills history, some Moulds' tapes.

Once again, running a good route helps. One ball he did not catch yesterday was a comebacker that he failed to come back on the ball. If he could bang on Bartell a second early and then come back on the route, it would've been an easy catch.
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Hardy has a long road

Hardy needs to practice his 12' high catches, that is going to be his bread and butter until he gets his head into the game.

Comment

• njsue
      Jersey Girl!!!!!!
      • Sep 2003

The score would have been much higher had he caught those balls.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I think getting some confidence will solve some of Hardy's problems. He just didn't look like a big, strong, confident receiver yesterday. He needs to play bigger, and tougher, and with some swagger.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• njsue
          Jersey Girl!!!!!!
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          I think getting some confidence will solve some of Hardy's problems. He just didn't look like a big, strong, confident receiver yesterday. He needs to play bigger, and tougher, and with some swagger.
          They will teach him. James Hardy will be a special WR with the knowledge and experience.

Comment

• elltrain22
            • Sep 2003

James Hardy is doing fine. Yesterday, I saw how needs to be more aggressive at catching the ball. These db's are much stronger than in college, and I'm sure he'll make that adjustment. It should also be noted that 2 of his drops (or non-catches) it looked like the defender hit Hardy early, and should've been called for pass interference.
            If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• baalworship
              • May 2003

Agreed. Sure Eddie Royal is playing lights out but we needed a BIG WR. It is frustrating but it will be worth it once the light comes on.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                I agree. I kept on saying(to the TV, like it'll talk back. ) he looked like a boy playing among men.
                Last edited by madness; 09-29-2008, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

2 catches, 12 yards, in 4 games. Enough said.

Calvin Johnson had 700 yards last year.

Comment

• casdhf
                    • Jul 2002

Calvin Johnson was like the 3rd overall pick.
                    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Yeah, Randy Moss took time to adjust too. Wait.....
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

until he learns to consistently catch with his hands outstretched, he won't be utilizing his height advantge. He needs to play like a big guy.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ALL D
                          • Aug 2008

Hardy single handedly messed up the Bills first few drives. He was given too many opportunities early in the game. The Bills should have a temporary mini camp for Hardy and Peters...

Comment

• ALL D
                            • Aug 2008

How many Balls has Hardy caught since he was a kid...thousands..

Just catch the Ball!!

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                              Some may argue from the success of rookies like Eddie Royal that Hardy is behind in his learning curves. I'll disagree.

If you are a small receiver being quick and fast, you'll have a smaller learning curve in NFL. You just need to get open and you'll have space. If the QB can deliver the ball accurately, you catch it. End of story. Of course you'll need to learn how to run a route.

For players like Hardy, being tall and big, their game is quite different. They may not be able to shake out the smaller, nible CB of NFL like they have in college, but they have the size and strength to fight off them and catch the ball.

The key word here is "fight off." That means literally doing a little of hand fighting and getting your body AND you hands in better position to catch the ball. That's where the basketball rebound skills come into play, and porbably why hardy was successful in college because of his basketball background.

In NFL, the corners are in general of much higher caliber than most he faced in college. I saw a Hardy yesterday that did not know how to do some fighting work prior to the catching. He simply ran to a spot and jumped up, trying to out-leaping his cover guy. That may work when he's wide open, like his TD catch in Jacksonville. But it won't when people are draping all over him. He needs to use his body subtlely to sort of "bang the bodies" (in basketball term) before the arriving ball. That's a skill, and it may take some time to learn. I'd suggest him to take a look of some Burress' tape and if he wants to stay in Bills history, some Moulds' tapes.

Once again, running a good route helps. One ball he did not catch yesterday was a comebacker that he failed to come back on the ball. If he could bang on Bartell a second early and then come back on the route, it would've been an easy catch.
                              I would argue that you can't stereotype when it comes to rookie receivers. some little guys do well early, like Royal and DeSean Jackson, and some big guys do well early, like Randy Moss, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Anquan Boldin, etc. Similarly, some little guys take time to develop, like Ted Ginn and Santana Moss, and some big guys take time to develop, like Terrell Owens, James Hardy and any Jacksonville receiver drafted. Heck, some guys never pan out (see aforementioned Jacksonville receivers, J.J. Stokes, Charles Rogers and I think the guy drafted ahead of Moss).

In other words, it is all about the individual.

Comment

Working...
                              X