PDA

View Full Version : Hardy has a long road

ghz in pittsburgh
09-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Some may argue from the success of rookies like Eddie Royal that Hardy is behind in his learning curves. I'll disagree.

If you are a small receiver being quick and fast, you'll have a smaller learning curve in NFL. You just need to get open and you'll have space. If the QB can deliver the ball accurately, you catch it. End of story. Of course you'll need to learn how to run a route.

For players like Hardy, being tall and big, their game is quite different. They may not be able to shake out the smaller, nible CB of NFL like they have in college, but they have the size and strength to fight off them and catch the ball.

The key word here is "fight off." That means literally doing a little of hand fighting and getting your body AND you hands in better position to catch the ball. That's where the basketball rebound skills come into play, and porbably why hardy was successful in college because of his basketball background.

In NFL, the corners are in general of much higher caliber than most he faced in college. I saw a Hardy yesterday that did not know how to do some fighting work prior to the catching. He simply ran to a spot and jumped up, trying to out-leaping his cover guy. That may work when he's wide open, like his TD catch in Jacksonville. But it won't when people are draping all over him. He needs to use his body subtlely to sort of "bang the bodies" (in basketball term) before the arriving ball. That's a skill, and it may take some time to learn. I'd suggest him to take a look of some Burress' tape and if he wants to stay in Bills history, some Moulds' tapes.

Once again, running a good route helps. One ball he did not catch yesterday was a comebacker that he failed to come back on the ball. If he could bang on Bartell a second early and then come back on the route, it would've been an easy catch.

Mitchy moo
09-29-2008, 06:26 AM
Hardy needs to practice his 12' high catches, that is going to be his bread and butter until he gets his head into the game.

njsue
09-29-2008, 06:56 AM
The score would have been much higher had he caught those balls.

Jan Reimers
09-29-2008, 07:05 AM
I think getting some confidence will solve some of Hardy's problems. He just didn't look like a big, strong, confident receiver yesterday. He needs to play bigger, and tougher, and with some swagger.

njsue
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I think getting some confidence will solve some of Hardy's problems. He just didn't look like a big, strong, confident receiver yesterday. He needs to play bigger, and tougher, and with some swagger.

They will teach him. James Hardy will be a special WR with the knowledge and experience.

elltrain22
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM
James Hardy is doing fine. Yesterday, I saw how needs to be more aggressive at catching the ball. These db's are much stronger than in college, and I'm sure he'll make that adjustment. It should also be noted that 2 of his drops (or non-catches) it looked like the defender hit Hardy early, and should've been called for pass interference.

baalworship
09-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Agreed. Sure Eddie Royal is playing lights out but we needed a BIG WR. It is frustrating but it will be worth it once the light comes on.

madness
09-29-2008, 08:58 AM

I agree. I kept on saying(to the TV, like it'll talk back. :shakeno:) he looked like a boy playing among men.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 09:53 AM
2 catches, 12 yards, in 4 games. Enough said.

Calvin Johnson had 700 yards last year.

casdhf
09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Calvin Johnson was like the 3rd overall pick.

yordad
09-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Randy Moss took time to adjust too. Wait.....

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
until he learns to consistently catch with his hands outstretched, he won't be utilizing his height advantge. He needs to play like a big guy.

ALL D
09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Hardy single handedly messed up the Bills first few drives. He was given too many opportunities early in the game. The Bills should have a temporary mini camp for Hardy and Peters...

ALL D
09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
How many Balls has Hardy caught since he was a kid...thousands..

Just catch the Ball!!

EDS
09-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Some may argue from the success of rookies like Eddie Royal that Hardy is behind in his learning curves. I'll disagree.

If you are a small receiver being quick and fast, you'll have a smaller learning curve in NFL. You just need to get open and you'll have space. If the QB can deliver the ball accurately, you catch it. End of story. Of course you'll need to learn how to run a route.

For players like Hardy, being tall and big, their game is quite different. They may not be able to shake out the smaller, nible CB of NFL like they have in college, but they have the size and strength to fight off them and catch the ball.

The key word here is "fight off." That means literally doing a little of hand fighting and getting your body AND you hands in better position to catch the ball. That's where the basketball rebound skills come into play, and porbably why hardy was successful in college because of his basketball background.

In NFL, the corners are in general of much higher caliber than most he faced in college. I saw a Hardy yesterday that did not know how to do some fighting work prior to the catching. He simply ran to a spot and jumped up, trying to out-leaping his cover guy. That may work when he's wide open, like his TD catch in Jacksonville. But it won't when people are draping all over him. He needs to use his body subtlely to sort of "bang the bodies" (in basketball term) before the arriving ball. That's a skill, and it may take some time to learn. I'd suggest him to take a look of some Burress' tape and if he wants to stay in Bills history, some Moulds' tapes.

Once again, running a good route helps. One ball he did not catch yesterday was a comebacker that he failed to come back on the ball. If he could bang on Bartell a second early and then come back on the route, it would've been an easy catch.

I would argue that you can't stereotype when it comes to rookie receivers. some little guys do well early, like Royal and DeSean Jackson, and some big guys do well early, like Randy Moss, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, Anquan Boldin, etc. Similarly, some little guys take time to develop, like Ted Ginn and Santana Moss, and some big guys take time to develop, like Terrell Owens, James Hardy and any Jacksonville receiver drafted. Heck, some guys never pan out (see aforementioned Jacksonville receivers, J.J. Stokes, Charles Rogers and I think the guy drafted ahead of Moss).

In other words, it is all about the individual.

Oaf
09-29-2008, 02:40 PM
On the 2 pt conversion, the designated route was Hardy on the corner. Edwards was looking there, but Hardy easily got shoved off his route and Edwards went to his 2nd, then 3rd read and threw a tight spiral to Evans.

BillsOwnAll
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
How many Balls has Hardy caught since he was a kid...thousands..

Just catch the Ball!! he caught 4 against NFL D-backs . College And high school and had a clear physical advantage against the d-backs covering him. Now hes playing that best of the best. Hell get it don't worry. Rookie receivers generally don't do anything special in there first few years. But heck..we got a game winning TD out of him in his first 4 games. Go find how many of the "top" receivers in the NFL can say they did that?

JerseyBoofaloBills
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Calvin Johnson was like the 3rd overall pick.

can we please try not to compare hardy and johnson..

Johnson will be amazing, hes gotta get outta that WR GRAVEYARD in Detroit..i was sooo pissed to see my favorite player ever in college to go there..i knew he would struggle.

Ingtar33
09-29-2008, 05:10 PM
hardy needs to put on some upper body strength, and learn to be stronger on the ball.

he lets the ball come to him... he doesn't go to the ball; that's how those passes were knocked down.

Night Train
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
He wasn't concentrating on the ball at all. He was overly concerned with the DB instead of running his pattern

The bye week will do him a world of good.

Tatonka
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM

great write up. totally agree.