PDA

View Full Version : The Interior run game must improve

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
What can be done to improve this aside from getting a new Center and RG.

madness
09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Scrap the zone blocking scheme... again.

hydro
09-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Yes! One of the biggest lines in the NFL shouldn't be using the zone blocking scheme. One of the teams that had the most success with it was the Broncos and they were noted to always have one of the smallest lines.

mchurchfie
09-29-2008, 10:32 AM
We have the third biggest OLine in the NFL, we need to start moving some bodies off the ball. I agree, scrap the zone blocking and lets start smashmouthing it.:punk:

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 10:35 AM
We have the third biggest OLine in the NFL, we need to start moving some bodies off the ball. I agree, scrap the zone blocking and lets start smashmouthing it.:punk:
I am for this however while our line is big overall the center and RG are tiny and get blown up virtually every run between the tackles(especially Fowler)

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Let Jackson start or give him more carriers.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Great idea TD. Bench our best RB. Just brilliant.

I would also say that Butler has been better than Dockery, so LG is a bigger problem and that Butler is not tiny.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 10:41 AM

This is going to be unpopular on this site, and very hard to pull off at OBD. There is some merit if Jackson wasn't so good in the passing game.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 10:42 AM
The scheme is the problem. The running game should be better and it's not all on Fowler.

Fowler is small and the weakest link but the running game shouldn't still have the problems we are having.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Great idea TD. Bench our best RB. Just brilliant.

What do you mean, Jackson is already the backup.

mchurchfie
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
"Fred really has a knack for being able to move north and south," said Bills guard Brad Butler

homeslice5484
09-29-2008, 10:48 AM
put Preston at center....whenever he played against the starters in pre season our running game up the middle was so much better!

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
This is going to be unpopular on this site, and very hard to pull off at OBD. There is some merit if Jackson wasn't so good in the passing game.
It just wouldn't be true either. Lynch is clearly better than Jackson.

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Lynch softens up the D for Jackson to come in and make plays.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Not to mention Jackson gets to run on 3rd down when the defense is more often in pass defense mode and there will be more room to run.

Jan Reimers
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
What can be done to improve this aside from getting a new Center and RG.
We definitely need a Center, but I think Butler is coming along nicely at RG and may end being a stud there.

THATHURMANATOR
Not to mention Jackson gets to run on 3rd down when the defense is more often in pass defense mode and there will be more room to run.
Exactly! Jacksons big runs are always in obvious passing situations. This isnt meant to be a shot at Jackson either as he is very good in his own right. I am happy the team has that kind of depth.

HHURRICANE
It just wouldn't be true either. Lynch is clearly better than Jackson.

Actually it's not a question of better but of what you are trying to accomplish. I think Fred Jackson is a quicker, more ellusive back, and might actually do more for this team as the starter. Than Lynch could come in and just pound it down the opposing teams throat by wearing them down later in the game.

A bunch of Bills fans I was with yesterday thought this was a good idea but the problem that I see is that you would be eliminating Jackson as one of your passing threats. I think Trent needs all the targets he can get right now.

Plus there is no way Lynch would ever be happy with this so I really don't ever see this as a real option anyway.

gr8slayer
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Quit zone blocking, more smash mouth football.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Actually it's not a question of better but of what you are trying to accomplish. I think Fred Jackson is a quicker, more ellusive back, and might actually do more for this team as the starter. Than Lynch could come in and just pound it down the opposing teams throat by wearing them down later in the game.

A bunch of Bills fans I was with yesterday thought this was a good idea but the problem that I see is that you would be eliminating Jackson as one of your passing threats. I think Trent needs all the targets he can get right now.

Plus there is no way Lynch would ever be happy with this so I really don't ever see this as a real option anyway.
It is a ridiculous idea IMO.

mchurchfie
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Lynch is a our "Take it to Da hause" back on any given play.:punk:

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM

What do you expect from HH?

Two back sets, fine. 1-2 punch, fine. Jackson before LYnch . Nah. Just fix the OL and we won'thave to call back Lynch's runs for 1st down.

mchurchfie
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
. I think Fred Jackson is a quicker, more ellusive back, and might actually do more for this team as the starter.
I totally disagree, Lynch is in another class ability wise, he just needs to use his blocks a little better.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
What do you expect from HH?

Two back sets, fine. 1-2 punch, fine. Jackson before LYnch . Nah. Just fix the OL and we won'r have to call back Lynch's runs for 1st down.
:shakeno:

I am with you here. It is obvious that Jackson is an intregal part of the offense and I don't mind that he gets in so often becuase the guy can play and is a better receiver out of the backfield.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I totally disagree, Lynch is in another class ability wise, he just needs to use his blocks a little better.
Its not even that they just need to open a freaking hole for the guy or stop continuing to run up the middle.

gr8slayer
09-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Jackson over Lynch? Now I've heard it all :lmao:

Now people are just trying to be stupid and say things to get people going.

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
:shakeno:

I am with you here. It is obvious that Jackson is an intregal part of the offense and I don't mind that he gets in so often becuase the guy can play and is a better receiver out of the backfield.
When Lynch is on the bench, D's expect a pass which enables Jackson to make plays.

mchurchfie
Its not even that they just need to open a freaking hole for the guy or stop continuing to run up the middle.
Very true.

madness
Jackson speed is his only asset over Lynch until this line's run blocking gets better. He's just making it through 5 sec. hole faster then Lynch can.

Jackson's not going to do much once he gets into the second level unless he has room. Lynch just makes room.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:06 AM
How did Jackson do last year when Lynch was injuried?

Washington: 16 Att, 82 yards, 5.1 YPC, 4 Rec, 69 yards.

Miami: 15 Att, 115 yards, 7.7 YPC, 1 Rec, 6 yards

Jackson may be the better back.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Right he is a good player. No one is going to argue with that. However Lynch is a better player and there is no doubt about it.

Dr. Lecter
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Stats rarely tell the entire story TD.

Watch the two run. Watch the damn game and it is clear that Lynch is a better back.

BlackMetalNinja
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Right he is a good player. No one is going to argue with that. However Lynch is a better player and there is no doubt about it.This has poll written all over it :biggrin:

hydro
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
TD never fails to ruffle feathers. It's a gift...

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:11 AM

Wasn't miami ranked at the bottom last year in rush D? That usually works for you when you talk about JP beating weak teams. You might want to be consistent with your way of thinking.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 11:15 AM

The idea isn't ridiculous and it's not the first time I've heard it either. It's just not going to happen.

Justa want's to block any thoughts that might actually allow people to talk about other ideas that he doesn't like or agree with.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:17 AM
The idea isn't ridiculous and it's not the first time I've heard it either. It's just not going to happen.

Justa want's to block any thoughts that might actually allow people to talk about other ideas that he doesn't like or agree with.
It really is ridiculous.

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:18 AM
It really is ridiculous.
I only block ridiculous ideas. Don't want to scare lurkers away with HH posts and threads. I'm doing it for the good of BZ.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Wasn't miami ranked at the bottom last year in rush D? That usually works for you when you talk about JP beating weak teams. You might want to be consistent with your way of thinking.

Lynch against Miami was:

Away:19 A, 61 yards, 3.2 YPC, 1 TD, 3 Rec, 24 yards

Home: 23 A ,107 yards 4.7 YPC, 0 Rec, 1 fumble

It's clear by comparing Jackson/Lynch Miami games that Jackson is the better overall back. Plus Jackson is the better runner, quicker, has more speed, more ellusive, better in passing game, better blocker, the only thing Lynch has that Jackson doesn't is power.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 11:23 AM

I'm not the one that proposed that Jackson should start and I don't think it's something we should do. I just said the idea had some merit.

With that said, if he's truly in another class ability than he better start improving his YPG because it's one of the worst in the league. He plays like a FB.

gr8slayer
09-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Stat people :shakeno:

Watch the damn game.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Watch the damn game.
Seriously!!!

Also Lynch had 2 nice runs called back on penalties that had nothing to do with the run.

gr8slayer
09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Seriously!!!

Also Lynch had 2 nice runs called back on penalties that had nothing to do with the run.
Jackson is a role player at best, Lynch is an every down back. There's not a person in the league that thinks otherwise.

THATHURMANATOR
Pretty much sums it up G8

TacklingDummy

That's part of football.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Watch the damn game.

I watch the games. Lynch needs to add a few extra long runs to his game. He's got great potential but he doesn't break many long ones to the house.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Jackson is a role player at best, Lynch is an every down back. There's not a person in the league that thinks otherwise.
I would venture to say that only the most novice of football fans could try to argue otherwise.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Jackson is a role player at best, Lynch is an every down back.

Every down back that gets replaced by Jackson on 3rd down. That's not really an "every down" back. :snicker:

gr8slayer
09-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I watch the games. Lynch needs to add a few extra long runs to his game. He's got great potential but he doesn't break many long ones to the house.
It's amazing that you notice Lynch's lack of statistics but you don't notice the lack of blocking in front of him. The guy is having to make his own holes because our sorry ass OL can't block their own shadows.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:33 AM

His style of running is spastic.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
It's amazing that you notice Lynch's lack of statistics but you don't notice the lack of blocking in front of him. The guy is having to make his own holes because our sorry ass OL can't block their own shadows.

Maybe his field vision is not that great. Jackson seems to have no problem finding the holes.

theanswer74
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
IMO I think Lynch has bad vision sometimes and the OL blocks bad sometimes, the combination of the two is the problem.

Zone blocking requires the RB to find the hole, meaning he must read the blocks. There are times I am screaming at Lynch wonder where he is going, other times I am yelling at the OL. We hardly get everyone blocking and reading well at the same time, that's our problem.

Just from watching Lynch, I think he is better off having a designated hole to run in instead of making him read the blocks.

Fred Jackson seems a little better at reading blocks then Lynch.

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Lynch against Miami was:

Away:19 A, 61 yards, 3.2 YPC, 1 TD, 3 Rec, 24 yards

Home: 23 A ,107 yards 4.7 YPC, 0 Rec, 1 fumble

It's clear by comparing Jackson/Lynch Miami games that Jackson is the better overall back. Plus Jackson is the better runner, quicker, has more speed, more ellusive, better in passing game, better blocker, the only thing Lynch has that Jackson doesn't is power.
Lynch makes things easier for Jackson by ounishing D's and softening them up for Jackson to make plays when Lynch is resting. Again teams don't think we're running wheh Lynch is one the bench which amkes it easier for Jackson to make plays.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:40 AM
IMO I think Lynch has bad vision sometimes and the OL blocks bad sometimes, the combination of the two is the problem.

Zone blocking requires the RB to find the hole, meaning he must read the blocks. There are times I am screaming at Lynch wonder where he is going, other times I am yelling at the OL. We hardly get everyone blocking and reading well at the same time, that's our problem.

Just from watching Lynch, I think he is better off having a designated hole to run in instead of making him read the blocks.

Pretty much sums it up 74

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM

Uh oh, your posts makes complete sense.

People will never understand that there are a few issues that might be contributing to some of the running problem with Lynch.

TacklingDummy
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Lynch makes things easier for Jackson by ounishing D's and softening them up for Jackson to make plays when Lynch is resting. Again teams don't think we're running wheh Lynch is one the bench which amkes it easier for Jackson to make plays.

I like how you took out the part by the time Miami came to town. Just figure out the Jackson/Lynch played in the same game? :snicker:

justasportsfan
09-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I like how you took out the part by the time Miami came to town. Just figure out the Jackson/Lynch played in the same game? :snicker:

I wasn't so sure where we played first but in the 2nd game miami was definitely injured and I remain that Jackson benefits from Lynch wearing down D's when he's running the ball.

HHURRICANE
09-29-2008, 11:45 AM

This site needs to lose the all or nothing attitude around here.

I never said that the o-line isn't part or most of the problem here. Hell I didn't even come up with the Jackson idea but I'm getting called out for it. But to say it has no merit is ridiculous because I've heard it a ton down here in Atlanta from fans that just "watch the games."

The blocking scheme doesn't work. Agreed. However it appears as though Jackson does a little better with it at times and is more of a threat to break some bigger runs.

You don't agree that Lynch has struggled to break some big runs?

Mahdi
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
We dont run a zone blocking scheme,,,, I dont know where that idea is coming from. The Bills are a man blocking scheme... just not good at it.

Denver, Oakland, Houston... those are zone blocking teams. They run stretch plays often and get their OL on the move and cut down defenders low to create cutback lanes. The Bills dont do that. The Bills are a man to man blocking team with pulling guards and tackles. That aint zone blocking.

Mahdi
09-29-2008, 11:49 AM

How good Lynch is is evidenced by how many times he gets hit in the backfield or at the LOS and either makes a man miss or plants him in the ground with a stiff arm. Jackson is good but if he got all Lynch's carries he would not be able to do what Lynch does.

njsue
09-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Replace Melvin Fowler.

***** Slap Jason Peter's.