PDA

View Full Version : So, we know the record, but what are the issues?

X-Era
09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
1) Running game- its #1 on my list but not because its a root cause of other problems (actually I think other issues cause this one), but because its key to any post season run or even sustained winning. Actually, I think having Trent at QB is the prime reason that our running game is a weaker point on this squad. Note I used the word "weaker"; any team that is 4-0 cant complain. Why is Trent the problem here? because hes young. Just that simple. Teams don't trust him as a threat yet. They think they can stack the line, prevent the run, and win. And as long as we dont light up the field by throwing it, it will continue, and the additional "folks" in the box will hamper the running game. The fix: get back to dink and dunk. The past two games I saw two versions of our pass, long throws or throws in the flat. Get back to the 5-15 yard quick routes. It keeps the chains moving, ticks off the pass rush, and makes the defense back off ultimately. Trent IS young, he gets better every week, but we ought to be using a bit better to open up the run.

2) 2nd wave D-line. The long run by Steven Jackson was because McCargo got blown off the line and out of the way. Rewatch the tape and you will see that #97 began by filling that hole and then was moved out of the way. Unfortunately there is no big fix for this until the offseason when we can upgrade. Or, of course, if McCargo and sometimes Johnson step up and play more stout. Maybe we could change the alternation of when Stroud and Williams come out. We are giving up yards on the ground, it needs improvement.

Thats really the main ones I see.

Thoughts?

Griff
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Copeland is the suck. Our Oline can't open a hole.

BADTHINGSMAN
09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
blocking
tackling
Hardys drops
1st half

yordad
09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Tight end production.

Griff
09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
actually its real simple, do what we do in the second half in the first half too.

trapezeus
09-30-2008, 09:51 PM
i am not so worried about the run game. the reason being is that it gets stronger as the game goes on. and if people want to let our accurate passer pick them apart methodically or through a bomb, that's their choice.

if the run game didn't work in its entirety, i would really be afraid. i am concerned that these slow starts will put us in a situation where we won't be able to run at all. i also noticed when the OL pulls around, their big size and mobility, creates more lanes and our backs are good at seeing those holes.

i think they'll fix this OL problem in the next 2 weeks.

we just need consistency from the team as a whole at this point.