PDA

View Full Version : Be careful...

jamze132
10-01-2008, 07:40 AM
I have read a lot of comments on this board and abroad over the past couple of days from people trying argue that we will have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I would like to point out that we should worry about our next opponent and next opponent only. We shouldn't be looking forward, especially that far considering not many players on our team have even sniffed the playoffs before. Who knows how our players are going to handle that pressure in a few weeks, if we are still kicking ass.

Basically, lets keep things in perspective, not get too giddy about what we are currently doing, and enjoy the ride. Karma is a mother ****er.

Carry on... :rockon:

SABURZFAN
10-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I have read a lot of comments on this board and abroad over the past couple of days from people trying argue that we will have home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

we have to make the playoffs first.

gil
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
while you're right that it's probably early to start those expectations...

...these threads where people are so concerned about what other fans think (i.e. WHY IS NO ONE CONCERNED THAT... WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE) are a bit weird to me at least.

I mean we're fans, we're not playing the games - what does it matter to you if people want to believe we're going to get homefield advantage or whatever - do you think the team is going to absorb their attitudes by osmosis?

TacklingDummy
10-01-2008, 07:56 AM

This is the first I've heard of them.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Just the playoffs would be nice.

Mitchy moo
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM
The only victory or playoff berth is the one in hand, thinking anything else & you're just kidding yourself.

don137
10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Players should only worry about the upcoming game. Fans can look into the future. As fans they can look into the future worry first about making the playoffs, then division, then bye week and then home field advantage.
This team is as good as any in the AFC. Enjoy the ride.

Griff
10-01-2008, 08:50 AM

I would like to point out that we should worry about our next opponent and next opponent only. We shouldn't be looking forward, especially that far considering not many players on our team have even sniffed the playoffs before. Who knows how our players are going to handle that pressure in a few weeks, if we are still kicking ass.

Basically, lets keep things in perspective, not get too giddy about what we are currently doing, and enjoy the ride. Karma is a mother ****er.

#1 This is not My Name is Earl, karma, doesn't really exist
#2 We are fans, not players, we don't play games, we just cheer our team on. While they are on the practice field we are on message boards talking about the things they can't talk about because they have to focus on their next opponent.

Why do so many people on message boards act like we are members of the team, and we have to take each game a seriously as the players? Outside of the fans in the stadium, we have no impact on the games.

madness
10-01-2008, 09:30 AM

Dick, is that you? Can't be. You're too smart to believe in Karma.

jamze132
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I totally agree. That is why I am wondering why all the comments about the post season and how it's a given we are in.

jamze132
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM
#1 This is not My Name is Earl, karma, doesn't really exist
#2 We are fans, not players, we don't play games, we just cheer our team on. While they are on the practice field we are on message boards talking about the things they can't talk about because they have to focus on their next opponent.

Why do so many people on message boards act like we are members of the team, and we have to take each game a seriously as the players? Outside of the fans in the stadium, we have no impact on the games.
I don't know about you "Griff", but I breathe Bills football. My week is ruined when the Bills lose.

when my Mets just blew it AGAIN, it pretty much ruined Christmas. I have a problem.

justasportsfan
10-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I agree. People should not talk about homefield advantage througout playoffs. That's just getting too ahead of ourselves.

I would rather talk about our sb win vs. the cobowys in tampa this season. I have my tickets already.

TacklingDummy
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree. People should not talk about homefield advantage througout playoffs. That's just getting too ahead of ourselves.

I haven't seen anyone post about homefield advantage in the playoff besides in this thread.

syracuse76
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM

much agreed. but it is a nice thought to keep in the back of your mind.

yordad
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm not playing. I'm not preparing.

I am excited. I am projecting.

Home field baby! Home field!

syracuse76
10-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm not playing. I'm not preparing.

I am excited. I am projecting.

Home field baby! Home field!

i like it.....i like your thinking..........
LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAM
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
"Right now we're cautiously optimistic about it..." - Dick Jauron

ALL D
10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Playoffs are a big step for us...

Anything else is a bonus..

Griff
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't know about you "Griff", but I breathe Bills football. My week is ruined when the Bills lose.

when my Mets just blew it AGAIN, it pretty much ruined Christmas. I have a problem.

I'm the same way "Jamze132" but if you think that you have any impact on how the games are played when you're sitting at home watching the game, then you're delusional.

Bravo82
10-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Playoffs are a big step for us...

Anything else is a bonus..

agreed D, as long as the bills make the playoffs, anything that happens after that point is gravy :cool:

CUHATIN
10-02-2008, 03:20 AM
I agree 1 game at a time!!!!

jamze132
10-02-2008, 04:14 AM
I haven't seen anyone post about homefield advantage in the playoff besides in this thread.
I'm not going to post links. Take a look through some threads, you can see for yourself.

jamze132
10-02-2008, 04:17 AM
I'm the same way "Jamze132" but if you think that you have any impact on how the games are played when you're sitting at home watching the game, then you're delusional.
I don't think I have any impact on the games guy.

This is a message board. When I posted my opinion about not looking further than the next game, it was simply that, my opinion. It was in response to other people who have their opinion.

There are plenty of people on this board that attack other's opinions. I am not one of them.

shelby
10-02-2008, 04:21 AM

I would rather talk about our sb win vs. the cobowys in tampa this season. I have my tickets already.

Come on down! We have a guest room and live about 5 minutes north of RayJay.
:D

Cntrygal
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Come on down! We have a guest room and live about 5 minutes north of RayJay.
:D

Room for me too?

:biggrin:

SABURZFAN
10-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I totally agree. That is why I am wondering why all the comments about the post season and how it's a given we are in.

i don't know. it's a long season and anything can happen. i'll take it one game at a time. here's hoping the Bills go 5-0. :beers:

Griff
10-03-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think I have any impact on the games guy.

This is a message board. When I posted my opinion about not looking further than the next game, it was simply that, my opinion. It was in response to other people who have their opinion.

There are plenty of people on this board that attack other's opinions. I am not one of them.

so why do we have to be careful and take one game at a time? I don't see how us being the fans looking forward has any impact on how the team plays. But since you're so fearful of this phantom impact on the Bills play, please tell me how this will occur.

jamze132
10-04-2008, 12:03 AM
so why do we have to be careful and take one game at a time? I don't see how us being the fans looking forward has any impact on how the team plays. But since you're so fearful of this phantom impact on the Bills play, please tell me how this will occur.
You can take 645 games at a time for all I care. You can do voodoo tricks and **** to get the Bills to win or you can say right now without a shadow of a doubt, the Bills will go undefeated for 3 years in a row. You can be as optimistic as you want and you ca do whatever you want, it's a free country.

Billz_fan
10-04-2008, 02:29 AM
What's that? Uh -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game!

;)

LifetimeBillsFan
10-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Anyone can think or believe anything they want (unless you write certain things in an email or a post on the internet or talk about it on your phone--Big Brother IS listening, you know!). That still is your right (and far be it from me to want to ever see that taken away from you!).

However, I would like to remind those Bills fans who are rightfully giddy about the start to the Bills season thus far that the team's schedule gets considerably tougher from here on to the end of the season.

The Bills have the talent to beat Arizona, but winning back to back road games--with the second being a long trip--is very difficult to do in the NFL. Winning any game on the road in the NFL is tough, especially for a young team like the Bills. And, even without Boldin, Arizona has a pretty good offense. After giving up 56 points last week, their defense is likely to be pretty ticked off and could come into this game looking to prove that they are not as bad as they looked last week. So, this game is no "gimme" for the Bills.

Then, after the bye week (which should help the Bills a lot), the team takes on a pretty good San Diego team that may be missing Merriman, but still has a ton of talent.

Then, there is that stretch of three consecutive division games. No matter what you think of the other teams in the division, AFC East division games have usually been tough hard games, even when the top team has met the last team in the division. The Bills, who are the only team in the NFL not to play a division game yet, are going to have all six of their division games crammed into the last half of the season. Those games are not going to be easy. The Bills will have to go at least 3-3 in the division, if not better. And all three teams in the division will figure to be better in the second half of the season than they have been in the first half, with Cassel getting more experience at QB for the Pats, Favre getting more and more familiar with his new teammates in New York, and the young kids and free agents in Miami having had some time to gel and get used to playing in the "Parcells' system".

Cleveland may not be playing as well as they did last season, but they still have a lot of the talent that just missed making them a playoff team last year.

And, Denver may be fighting to grab a playoff berth or division title when the Bills meet them. I know Denver doesn't have much of a defense, but they can score a lot of points, especially at home. And, it is not easy to win a game in Denver.

So, realistically, even if the Bills continue to improve and play well--which I absolutely believe that they will--there is still a lot of tough sledding ahead for the team. It is still going to take a minimum of 10 wins to get a playoff berth in the AFC and at least 11 or, likely, more to win the division. And, as good as the Bills have played so far this season, with the schedule that the team has ahead of them, it isn't going to be easy for them to get those 10 wins or more that they are going to need to get this season. I predicted that they would win 11 games this season, but, even so, doing that isn't going to be a cake-walk.

So, enjoy the team's great start. Revel in the improvement, the excitement, the winning. Feel the passion and the exhilaration. And, go off the end if you want. But, in those quiet moments when you want to some back, ever so slightly, to reality, you might want to keep in a corner of your mind that there is still a long way to go in the season and some potentially very tough games ahead for the Bills.

Personally, I just want to see the Bills stay focused and keep putting the Ws in the bank one at a time until they have accumulated enough to make the playoffs. Then, if they are able to get enough to win the division or do even better than that, it will just be "gravy"!

The goal that most people talked about wanting to see the team achieve this season was to just make the playoffs...and hopefully not get embarrassed in the first round. Based on their start this season, that is now definitely a reasonable and achievable goal. If they can achieve that goal, we should all be delighted. If they can surpass it, well, even better.

But, let's also keep in mind that the ultimate goal is for the Bills to become a good enough team to be able to challenge for a Super Bowl title. And, they still have a ways to go to become that kind of team. They certainly look to be moving in that direction, but, to steal Marv Levy's metaphor from 1990, there are still some rivers ahead for them to cross...and more than just one or two.

It has already been an exhilarating ride, but it is going to get a lot more interesting and difficult going forward and, hopefully, even more exciting!

Night Train
10-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Thank You.

Our fortunes could change quickly with 1-2 injuries so lets quit counting the chickens before they hatch.

After 9 years of NO playoffs, appreciate our good start and take it one week at a time. The goal is still to MAKE the playoffs.

Griff
10-04-2008, 07:58 AM
You can take 645 games at a time for all I care. You can do voodoo tricks and **** to get the Bills to win or you can say right now without a shadow of a doubt, the Bills will go undefeated for 3 years in a row. You can be as optimistic as you want and you ca do whatever you want, it's a free country.

no answer my question senator why do we the fans have to take one game at a time? Why can't we look ahead and go if we do this or that we'll have homefield through out? I really want to know how us talking about future games has an effect on the team.

Griff
10-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Anyone can think or believe anything they want (unless you write certain things in an email or a post on the internet or talk about it on your phone--Big Brother IS listening, you know!). That still is your right (and far be it from me to want to ever see that taken away from you!).

However, I would like to remind those Bills fans who are rightfully giddy about the start to the Bills season thus far that the team's schedule gets considerably tougher from here on to the end of the season.

The Bills have the talent to beat Arizona, but winning back to back road games--with the second being a long trip--is very difficult to do in the NFL. Winning any game on the road in the NFL is tough, especially for a young team like the Bills. And, even without Boldin, Arizona has a pretty good offense. After giving up 56 points last week, their defense is likely to be pretty ticked off and could come into this game looking to prove that they are not as bad as they looked last week. So, this game is no "gimme" for the Bills.

Then, after the bye week (which should help the Bills a lot), the team takes on a pretty good San Diego team that may be missing Merriman, but still has a ton of talent.

Then, there is that stretch of three consecutive division games. No matter what you think of the other teams in the division, AFC East division games have usually been tough hard games, even when the top team has met the last team in the division. The Bills, who are the only team in the NFL not to play a division game yet, are going to have all six of their division games crammed into the last half of the season. Those games are not going to be easy. The Bills will have to go at least 3-3 in the division, if not better. And all three teams in the division will figure to be better in the second half of the season than they have been in the first half, with Cassel getting more experience at QB for the Pats, Favre getting more and more familiar with his new teammates in New York, and the young kids and free agents in Miami having had some time to gel and get used to playing in the "Parcells' system".

Cleveland may not be playing as well as they did last season, but they still have a lot of the talent that just missed making them a playoff team last year.

And, Denver may be fighting to grab a playoff berth or division title when the Bills meet them. I know Denver doesn't have much of a defense, but they can score a lot of points, especially at home. And, it is not easy to win a game in Denver.

So, realistically, even if the Bills continue to improve and play well--which I absolutely believe that they will--there is still a lot of tough sledding ahead for the team. It is still going to take a minimum of 10 wins to get a playoff berth in the AFC and at least 11 or, likely, more to win the division. And, as good as the Bills have played so far this season, with the schedule that the team has ahead of them, it isn't going to be easy for them to get those 10 wins or more that they are going to need to get this season. I predicted that they would win 11 games this season, but, even so, doing that isn't going to be a cake-walk.

So, enjoy the team's great start. Revel in the improvement, the excitement, the winning. Feel the passion and the exhilaration. And, go off the end if you want. But, in those quiet moments when you want to some back, ever so slightly, to reality, you might want to keep in a corner of your mind that there is still a long way to go in the season and some potentially very tough games ahead for the Bills.

Personally, I just want to see the Bills stay focused and keep putting the Ws in the bank one at a time until they have accumulated enough to make the playoffs. Then, if they are able to get enough to win the division or do even better than that, it will just be "gravy"!

The goal that most people talked about wanting to see the team achieve this season was to just make the playoffs...and hopefully not get embarrassed in the first round. Based on their start this season, that is now definitely a reasonable and achievable goal. If they can achieve that goal, we should all be delighted. If they can surpass it, well, even better.

But, let's also keep in mind that the ultimate goal is for the Bills to become a good enough team to be able to challenge for a Super Bowl title. And, they still have a ways to go to become that kind of team. They certainly look to be moving in that direction, but, to steal Marv Levy's metaphor from 1990, there are still some rivers ahead for them to cross...and more than just one or two.

It has already been an exhilarating ride, but it is going to get a lot more interesting and difficult going forward and, hopefully, even more exciting!

awesome but I'm not about to expect a loss until one happens. You all can live in fear, personally I'm looking forward to cheering my Bills on when they beat Arizona this Sunday. Can Arizona win? Sure, but I'm not going to count the Bills out until the game is over.

jamze132
10-05-2008, 01:33 AM
no answer my question senator why do we the fans have to take one game at a time? Why can't we look ahead and go if we do this or that we'll have homefield through out? I really want to know how us talking about future games has an effect on the team.
Do I need to break it down for you down syndrome style? The fans can do whatever they want, THEY DON"T HAVE TO TAKE IT ONE GAME AT A TIME.
Are you ML23's alter ego?