Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Look Back At Bills Meant To Sting

From ESPN's Tim Graham..

Look back at 1990 Bills meant to sting
    October 2, 2008 8:15 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham Excuse the good people of Western New York if their television ratings for Thursday night's vice presidential debate don't match the national average.
    US Presswire
    Jim Kelly and the Bills went to four straight Super Bowls.
    Many of them will be reliving the most agonizing night of their sporting lives.
    Nearly two decades after Scott Norwood's kick soared outside the right upright in Super Bowl XXV, there wouldn't seem to be any new ground to cover. But NFL Network's compelling documentary series "America's Game: The Missing Rings" provides a glimpse of the 1990 Bills that will make the loss feel plenty raw. The episode debuts at 10 p.m.
    Alec Baldwin narrates the episode, which is anchored by stark interviews with head coach Marv Levy, quarterback Jim Kelly and linebacker Darryl Talley talking about their loss to the New York Giants.
    It was the closest the Bills came to winning one of their four straight Super Bowl appearances.
    Here are some of the excerpts:
    "Knock, knock. Who's there? Owen. Owen Who? Oh and 8." -- Talley, recalling a joke before Levy took over.
    "We would give up stupid plays. We missed tackles in that game, and we usually didn't miss tackles. I missed one that I think was one of the most crucial plays of the game. I went right over the top of [Giants quarterback Jeff Hostetler]. I take full responsibility for it. I wish I could take all of them back, but none more than that." -- Talley
    "It came down to everything I dreamt of as a little kid. Two minutes left in the game, the ball is in my hands and it's the Super Bowl. I knew the confidence we had in our kicker. My goal was to get inside the 30-yard line." -- Kelly
    "If there was any thought in my mind, believe it or not, was if [Norwood] makes this shot, there are still four seconds left. What do we do?" -- Levy
    "Don't worry about it. I missed tackles. The game should never have come down to that. We all had chances to make plays that would have made a difference." -- Talley, recalling what he said to Norwood after the miss
    "After we lost the second Super Bowl, I was on a call-in show and I had a fan on a call tell me, 'Coach, I can't take it anymore. I don't want to go back to the Super Bowl next year. It hurts too much.' I told him, 'I appreciate your anguish. I share it. But I'm glad you're not on my team.'" -- Levy
    "We all had to take the blame. We had four bites at that apple, but never swallowed." -- Talley

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: Look Back At Bills Meant To Sting

Comment

• Mercy
      • Jul 2005

At the time, I was just incredulous. I think I laughed. In that sick, OMG, kind of way.

But by the 10th anniversary, all the media reports literally brought tears to my eyes.
      Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
      Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Everytime I see the replay, I tell myself the kick will move to the left and go through.

But it never happens, so I release a string of vulgarity that would make Shelby blush.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mercy
          • Jul 2005

Do I go with entertaining tonight ala the vice presidential debate?

Or the heartbreaking?

Having a pretty GD bad day. I might as well keep with the theme of the day. I need to throw things anyway.
          Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
          Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mercyrule
            Do I go with entertaining tonight ala the vice presidential debate?

Or the heartbreaking?

Having a pretty GD bad day. I might as well keep with the theme of the day. I need to throw things anyway.
            I think both will be heartbreaking.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Griff
              • Jul 2008

Hey its old news, this year... Lindell makes it.

Not that he will have to because we'll be up 24-10 when he attempts it.

Comment

• gil
                • Mar 2005

most of the truly memorable moments in my life come from family and I am grateful for that

- then there's that kick

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                  • May 2004

At least that game wasn't stolen from us on a bad call...the Sabres "No Goal" was more painful for me personally.

Sounds like a great show though...I wish I could watch it, but Time Warner continues to screw football fans.
                  "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                  --Leo Durocher

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

why would any Bills fan want to watch that?
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BAM
                      • Sep 2003

Well they are at least giving us some props calling us one of the best teams to not win a ring.

Still sounds depressing to me though.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                        • Feb 2003

I was only 5 when it happened so I was spared some of the horrendous emotional pain the rest of you guys experienced.

That said, I'm REALLY glad I don't have NFL Network tonight.

VP debate here I come!
                        "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                        We are the Rockpile
                        We are the Rockpile
                        BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• BAM
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SABuffalo786
                          I was only 5 when it happened so I was spared some of the horrendous emotional pain the rest of you guys experienced.

That said, I'm REALLY glad I don't have NFL Network tonight.

VP debate here I come!
                          I was 10 and it was the year I became a Bills fan so it didn't really pain me too much either but I do remember being extremely upset over the next few years.

Ahh what the heck I guess I'll probably check it out anyway. It's one of those things you don't want to watch but pretty much have to. Like a fatal car crash or elephant crapping at the zoo.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                            Next Question!
                            • Nov 2004

I don't look at it that way at this point. Sure, we all wish the kick went through, and that they hung on after halftime of the fourth Super Bowl, etc. etc. But this was a great team, and they gave us a lot of great memories. These teams are the reason I am a Buffalo Bills fan. And they are the reason why I have been able to, as a sports fan, be mentally tough enough to get through all of those Super Bowl losses, and the lean times recently. Those teams were so much fun to watch. Bills fans suffering through all of this "sports fan adversity" will all pay off someday anyway.

In the meantime, enjoy the show tonight, just take a convenient bathroom break at the end!

Jon

Comment

• JD
                              Sabres Zone
                              • Sep 2003

Can somebody edit the video and make the kick go in? Please?
                              “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                              X