PDA

View Full Version : Edwards "best deep ball in nfl"

billser
10-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Listening to espn radio in morning, Schelereth came on and said that Edwards had "the best deep ball in the league"....thought it was interesting, best no one here wouldve thought that

TrentLeeLynch
10-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Didnt think I would hear anyone saying that

djjimkelly
10-02-2008, 12:30 PM
ridiculous

hes played well but that statement is ludicris or however u spell that.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Dumb.

Griff
10-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Dumb.

why don't you expand on that statement?

Stewie
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
just cause he can't throw it as far as JP doesn't mean Trent doesn't have a good deep ball.

sqad5
10-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Man his deep balls are nice

Mudflap1
He's been accurate on his longer passes, and they have been tight spirals. So far, the Bills and Edwards have done a very good job of "picking their spots" to go deep. So while he doesn't have Brett Favre's pure arm strength, Trent is showing good accuracy and definitely a solid delivery so far on his longer throws.

Jon

Sjohnson4Roty
Did you see how accurate that throw was to Evans. That was right on the money there as no way the defender was getting to that ball. Edwards has a great deep ball and I think we will see allot of that this weekend!

justasportsfan
Anyone who ever said Trent doesn't have an arm is being proven wrong. We'll see what Trent can do in bad weather before he can even be thought of as having the best deep ball.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 12:40 PM
just cause he can't throw it as far as JP doesn't mean Trent doesn't have a good deep ball.
Why does everyone have to bring up Losman every time someone brings up Edwards? Losman is dead to the Buffalo Bills unless Edwards goes down. Edwards average-good deep ball? Absolutely, and getting better. But the best in the NFL? That's flat out false and destroys his credibility; though I don't know how much he had to begin with working for ESPN.

Edwards can help himself out by leading his WR's on deep routes. Right now the WR's are having to almost come to a complete stop, turn around, and catch. A GREAT deep thrower leads his WR's; this is where the question of limits on arm strength might come into question. Time will tell...

Philagape
10-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Yup, it's timing and accuracy that matters

JD
10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Why does everyone have to bring up Losman every time someone brings up Edwards? Losman is dead to the Buffalo Bills unless Edwards goes down. Edwards average-good deep ball? Absolutely, and getting better. But the best in the NFL? That's flat out false and destroys his credibility; though I don't know how much he had to begin with working for ESPN.

:poop:

Edited for TOS Violation
BMN

justasportsfan
10-02-2008, 12:43 PM
who said he doesn't have a good deep ball? :idunno:

BlackMetalNinja
I would say he's very accurate with his deep passes and doesn't frequently leave receivers waiting for the ball like some others have. However, we haven't seen him really unleash any bombs yet either. His long passes are in the 30-40 yard range generally...

gr8slayer
:poop:
Edited for TOS Violation
BMN Wow, what a novel idea, people who support the team starting QB. Get a life kid.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
he's all yours g8t
Hardly worth the time; just another troll with no knowledge of the game so he chooses to attack other posters for their opinions. He should really stick to hockey and calling people **** there for liking the new Sabres logo.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
With out actually hearing the clip it's nearly impossible to know what he actually meant by that statement. He could mean that Edwards has the best percentage of completions when throwing deep? That might be factual.

OpIv37
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I think we all know that the notion of Edwards having a weak arm is false.

However, best deep ball in the league? Please. He's getting better, but several times this season he's underthrown Evans. If he really had the best deep ball in the league, that wouldn't happen.

JD
10-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Get a life?

Quite ironic coming from a guy who averages 14 posts a day on an internet forum. It does suck to be proven wrong man, don't get too upset. Just like its OK to admit you were wrong about Trent, you can admit you were wrong about his arm strength, too.

yordad
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I guess who ever is throwing to LEE has the best deep ball. Maybe it's LEE. :idunno:

Captain gameboy
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
This is more of a physics question.

Getting anything to a target can be done with speed or trajectory.

Schonert talked about Trent's ability to "drop it down the chimney," and it is obvious that they have worked on that.
If you watch the long balls he has thrown, he puts a lot of air under them and they have a much steeper trajectory in the last few seconds.

I think that's what Schlereth was alluding to.

Back to the physics.

The other option is to not "drop it down the chimney," but get it there with more velocity, less time of flight.

The problem is this: The more time of flight, the more the wind will effect it.

I have no problem with Trent's ability to throw any pass, but going deep in the wind requires more velocity and less air than throwing passes that come "down the chimney."
In other words, to lessen the wind effect, you have to lessen the time of flight, as time of flight = exposure to wind.

I expect he will need to go to a higher velocity throw when the weather demands it.

Mr. Miyagi
10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Did you see how accurate that throw was to Evans. That was right on the money there as no way the defender was getting to that ball. Edwards has a great deep ball and I think we will see allot of that this weekend!
Except for the last Evans TD deep throw, most of Trent's deep balls are short, where Evans most times had to slow down to get it from behind him. Had he hit Evans in stride, Lee would've had at least 2 more TDs in the last two weeks.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Get a life?

Quite ironic coming from a guy who averages 14 posts a day on an internet forum. It does suck to be proven wrong man, don't get too upset. Just like its OK to admit you were wrong about Trent, you can admit you were wrong about his arm strength, too.
Hi pot, I'm kettle. You're posting on the same message board but you choose not to add anything of substance, instead you insist on attacking other posters for their opinions even though you don't have one because you don't know what you're talking about. Get a life kid.

When did I say that Edwards was a bum? All I said last year was that I felt that Losman gave the team a better chance to win right now, and I still stand behind that statement.

Edwards has yet to prove anything in relation to arm strength. He's proven that his arm is adequate enough to be an average-good NFL QB. He's proven that he has the ability to lead the team to come from behind wins. He's proven that he does not crack under pressure, and he's proven that he is not the average second year QB from a mental stand point. He's proven that he has the potential to be one of the better QB's in the not so distant future, but you know what potential is worth? The jury is still very much out on him, four games into his first year as a full time starter he looks good, but a career is not made on four games.

trapezeus
TE has put a lot of arm strength issues to bed. the last one we won't get to until the weather turns. but i think on passes over 25 yards this season, most have been caught. most have lead to points and most have hit receivers in stride letting them make a play after the catch.

He also gets the deep throw out quicker. i know the JP comparisons drive people nuts, but i felt like JP scrambles out and threw long passes on broken routes more often than making the long pass on a designed play. Since this is such a touchy subject, i'm not saying all the time, i'm saying a lot of times. So that being said, it's interesting to see a long pass occur in that 3-4 second range in the pocket, than the 5-6 second rollout. I think that keeps the secondary guessing.

JD
Hardly worth the time; just another troll with no knowledge of the game so he chooses to attack other posters for their opinions. He should really stick to hockey and calling people **** there for liking the new Sabres logo.

No knowledge of the game..

So, how exactly do you know this? Have we met? Or does my user name make it seem like all I follow is hockey?

That's like saying you don't know dick about football because, based on your user name, I perceive you as a Slayer fan. Genius analogy right there!

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
No knowledge of the game..

So, how exactly do you know this? Have we met? Or does my user name make it seem like all I follow is hockey?

That's like saying you don't know dick about football because, based on your user name, I perceive you as a Slayer fan. Genius analogy right there!
No, your posting tells me all I need to know, and from what I hear you don't know what you're talking about in the hockey forums 3/4th's of the time.

Stewie
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Edwards can help himself out by leading his WR's on deep routes. Right now the WR's are having to almost come to a complete stop, turn around, and catch. A GREAT deep thrower leads his WR's; this is where the question of limits on arm strength might come into question. Time will tell...
A. thank you for calling me "everyone"

b. because people on this board are bills fans, and the whole point of this thread was that bills fans tend to think Trent doesn't even have the best deep ball on the team, let alone the NFL, which made Schlereth's argument interesting.

c. I'm sure you know more than a 10+ year vet and prowbowl OL who blocked for one of the most successful lines ever and protected John Elway, who never threw a deep ball, ever.

Griff
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Get a life?

really you're going to get on him for posting 14 times a day on a Bills board? That's about 1 post every 2 hours, I'm sure he has found something else to do with the other 100 minutes in between posts.

Stewie
10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
who said he doesn't have a good deep ball? :idunno:

Half the people on this board.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
A. thank you for calling me "everyone"

b. because people on this board are bills fans, and the whole point of this thread was that bills fans tend to think Trent doesn't even have the best deep ball on the team, let alone the NFL, which made Schlereth's argument interesting.

c. I'm sure you know more than a 10+ year vet and prowbowl OL who blocked for one of the most successful lines ever and protected John Elway, who never threw a deep ball, ever.
You were the one who brought up Losman for no reason considering he has nothing to do with this thread.

Edwards might be the better QB, but he does not have the better deep ball. But who seriously cares? People are so infatuated with the deep ball, that is a pass thrown less than 5% of the time and is hardly what makes a QB. There's a point where objectivity has to come into play, saying that Edwards has the stronger arm is not being objective and is simply false, any scout in America would tell you the same thing.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Half the people on this board.
Half the people on this board questioned his arm strength. Arm strength is not measured on 40-50 yard balls, every QB in the NFL can throw a ball 50 yards. It's measured on the 10-15 yard routes. The question of arm strength is still one of legitimacy, but again, who the hell cares? The guy wins games.

Stewie
10-02-2008, 01:08 PM
You were the one who brought up Losman for no reason considering he has nothing to do with this thread.

Edwards might be the better QB, but he does not have the better deep ball. But who seriously cares? People are so infatuated with the deep ball, that is a pass thrown less than 5% of the time and is hardly what makes a QB. There's a point where objectivity has to come into play, saying that Edwards has the stronger arm is not being objective and is simply false, any scout in America would tell you the same thing.

So that makes me "everyone." Got it.

And also, having a stronger arm makes you throw a better deep ball. Got it.

Thank you for proving my point.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
So that makes me "everyone." Got it.

And also, having a stronger arm makes you throw a better deep ball. Got it.

Thank you for proving my point.Your point hasn't been proven and your statement is false.

JD
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM
No, your posting tells me all I need to know, and from what I hear you don't know what you're talking about in the hockey forums 3/4th's of the time.

Lmao. I've played hockey for the past 9 years but I guess you're right, I haven't a clue about the game!

Because you and djjim have been "loving" JP for over a year now and it feels great to rub in the fact that you were WRONG

Not exactly sure how I "attacked" you, It just seemed like you were hesitant to give Trent the credit he deserves on his long ball.

Anyway, Edwards does have a good arm but it is far too early to call it the best. Maybe the guy was just referring to the TD to Evans vs the Rams. Its not just arm strength that makes a qb look good, its their receivers.. and at times it just could be that Evans was streaking too hard on the play, Edwards not expecting it, so its under thrown.

Griff
10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I guess who ever is throwing to LEE has the best deep ball. Maybe it's LEE. :idunno:

his speed and fight sure do help.

JD
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Exactly. The deep ball CATCH has more to do with communication and vision than pure arm strength alone

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Ever since I started watching him in college one thing has stood out about Evans. His ability to get his body between the ball and the defender. That's something that you usually associate with the taller, much larger WR's in the NFL. Evans may only be 6'0 197 but he can make himself seem much larger because of his positioning. Steve Smith is another smallish WR that does this well.

Lexwhat
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I really don't think Edwards has the best deep ball in the league, but he will get better.

I think Donovan McNabb has a great combination of arm strength and accuracy. Carson Palmer is good too, although I admit I haven't seen him in that many games. Brady and P. Manning are very accurate.

Edwards is not in that class, yet.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I really don't think Edwards has the best deep ball in the league, but he will get better.

I think Donovan McNabb has a great combination of arm strength and accuracy. Carson Palmer is good too, although I admit I haven't seen him in that many games. Brady and P. Manning are very accurate.

Edwards is not in that class, yet.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, few QB's have EVER been in that category and Edwards doesn't need to be in that class to be a good QB.

Oaf
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm going to be very objective with this post to avoid child-like responses.

Can Edwards capably throw the deep ball in this league? Yes.

Has Edwards missed on several deep throws this season (Out of bounds, underthrown, overthrown)? Yes.

Has Edwards hit on several deep throws this season? Yes.

Are there other QBs in the league that are more efficient and more effective at the deep ball than Edwards? Yes.

Is JP better in terms of mechanics and productivity with the deep ball than Edwards? Yes.

Is this the only significant attribute JP has over Edwards? Yes.

After these Yes/No statements, I have come to the conclusion that Schelereth is a flip-flopping idiot who is incorrect in his statement. Also, we are undefeated and Edwards deserves MVP consideration.

patmoran2006
10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
F him.

I dont want that ESPN *** on our bandwagon now.

yordad
10-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I have come to the conclusion that Schelereth is a flip-flopping idiot who is incorrect in his statement. Yeppers. I think he sucks.

Griff
10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Ever since I started watching him in college one thing has stood out about Evans. His ability to get his body between the ball and the defender. That's something that you usually associate with the taller, much larger WR's in the NFL. Evans may only be 6'0 197 but he can make himself seem much larger because of his positioning. Steve Smith is another smallish WR that does this well.

I always thought they were pretty much cut with the same cookie cutter, except that Steve had Jake who had a good line.

Griff
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I'm going to be very objective with this post to avoid child-like responses.

Can Edwards capably throw the deep ball in this league? Yes.

Has Edwards missed on several deep throws this season (Out of bounds, underthrown, overthrown)? Yes.

Has Edwards hit on several deep throws this season? Yes.

Are there other QBs in the league that are more efficient and more effective at the deep ball than Edwards? Yes.

Is JP better in terms of mechanics and productivity with the deep ball than Edwards? Yes.

Is this the only significant attribute JP has over Edwards? Yes.

After these Yes/No statements, I have come to the conclusion that Schelereth is a flip-flopping idiot who is incorrect in his statement. Also, we are undefeated and Edwards deserves MVP consideration.

at this point in the season, that is very hard to argue against

billser
10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
To put it into context, they were picking which team would win this week and Schelereth began to break down the bills and said "Boy, Edwards throws the best deep ball in the league"....honestly, i think it was one of those generic comments an analyst can make without being blatantly wrong or right...howerver, he shouldve done his research...

Captain gameboy
10-02-2008, 04:00 PM
To put it into context, they were picking which team would win this week and Schelereth began to break down the bills and said "Boy, Edwards throws the best deep ball in the league"....honestly, i think it was one of those generic comments an analyst can make without being blatantly wrong or right...howerver, he shouldve done his research...

He throws a very catch-able deep ball, because he drops it in.

He'll need a different technique when the wind is blowing.

bills_7
10-02-2008, 04:22 PM
lol this thread is funny,, this schelereth obv knows nothing about buffalo bills football,, he sees us at 4-0 and is like oh i should say somehting about them now

PECKERWOOD
10-02-2008, 05:16 PM
The way his balls hang in the air, it just makes it so easy for Lee to come up and grab them. :snicker:

VeggieMan14
10-02-2008, 06:23 PM
you gusy say this is dumb but he does lay it right there for evans each time right over the corner... besides his miscue to atogwe