PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z's draft grades

Gunzlingr
04-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Do you want to know how I rate the teams on their 2003 drafts? See me in five years. Then we'll know who did what. Too long to wait? Everyone else is rating them now? OK, I'll give you my early impressions. The Redskins and Falcons, each of whom used their first-round choice for a veteran, will receive two grades, with and without their vet.

THE ELITE

A) Cincinnati -- Another top grade for the Bengals, but they always draft well. It's when those guys put on the uniform that the bad things happen. This is a big-name draft with very few unknowns. We'll find out about Carson Palmer, of course. In the second round they landed the player many people felt was the second best offensive lineman in the draft, Eric Steinbach. But for all his athleticism and technical brilliance, he plays an unpopular position, guard, which kept him off the board for a round. Kelley Washington (third round) is a big-league receiver with a neck injury. The pick is a bit of a gamble. More of the same lower down, as Dennis Weathersby (fourth round), a talented cornerback, dropped a couple of rounds because of a recent gunshot wound and fell to Cincy. I like Cincinnati's fifth-round pick, too -- Khalid Abdullah, a sleeper linebacker who had a great combine workout, and from a college so obscure that I figured the name must be a typo and changed it. The school is Mars Hill. When I first read it in one of those draft books, I thought they had substituted an "i" for an "a" and I changed it to Marshall.

MORE (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/04/29/drz_insider/)

shelby
04-30-2003, 04:26 PM
C-) Buffalo -- McGahee, a terrific runner who might not be ready to play this year, was the top choice. Coach Gregg Williams has one year left on his contract. So you just know that this was an organizational pick. They got lucky in the second round, though, and found DE Chris Kelsay, a pass rusher they so desperately need; otherwise this draft would be pretty grim looking. And where's the wideout to take the place of Peerless Price, who's frolicking on the Atlanta pastures these days? At Round 4, and his name is Sam Aiken. At the combine he ran a 4.64, which is what some DEs run. But he can catch, and he could be productive because Eric Moulds gets all the coverage anyway. But don't look for him to run away from anyone.

Kind of harsh....i thought we deserved a B-.

Is is blind loyalty for me to believe that TD knows exactly what he's doing?

Ebenezer
04-30-2003, 04:29 PM
I'll say it again...we won't know about this draft, for any team, for 3 years.

Earthquake Enyart
04-30-2003, 04:55 PM
It would be fun to see what putzes like Dr. Z and Pete Prisco said about the draft 3-4 years ago.

These guys are :puke:

TypicalBill
04-30-2003, 05:15 PM
did he totally forget about J.Reed?

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Draft Grades Are pointless ...its a guess there fun but pointless. There A bust and Surprises in every draft so lets ask this question at a later date

DraftBoy
05-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Party Pooper!!

TigerJ
05-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Draft pundits are a little like the psychics whose predictions for the year are written up every January in the supermarket rags (National Enquirer etc.). If anyone bothered to keep score they'd discover the score card on predictions that came true isn't very good. However the people that buy the rags never bother to keep score. Three years from now, no one will bother to check back to see how accurate the draft ratings done now turn out to be. Everyone will be caught up in the 2006 draft then.