PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Caved

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I was thinking more on the line of $8 per year tops.

I think Randy Moss makes $9 million a year. To me I want someone who is a complete package to get that kind of money. Evans is not a redzone threat and he knows it, too.

The good thing is that it is a 4 year deal (by which time he'll be 32). So we don't have to cut him like most of these contract runs at the end, costing signing bonuses. And I do expect the Bills, with the current core group of players, to contend seriously in the next 4 years window.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 06:24 PM
He got what he was worth on the market. He only got 18.7 up front, the rest he'll have to earn. If he plays well enough to earn the rest then he was worth every penny.

Mitchy moo
10-02-2008, 06:27 PM
If he helps get us to the big game is he worth it??

Patrick76777
10-02-2008, 06:27 PM

I think Randy Moss makes $9 million a year. To me I want someone who is a complete package to get that kind of money. Evans is not a redzone threat and he knows it, too.

The good thing is that it is a 4 year deal (by which time he'll be 32). So we don't have to cut him like most of these contract runs at the end, costing signing bonuses. And I do expect the Bills, with the current core group of players, to contend seriously in the next 4 years window.

Fans are so funny!

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 06:28 PM
If he helps get us to the big game is he worth it??
No, we've been there before. If he helps us win it then he's worth his weight in gold.

circlethewagons
10-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Honestly i could careless if he was "overpayed" or not. I'm just happy this got done. How much were we under the cap before this deal anyway? 20- 30 million? It's nice to see someone stay here what should be the majority of his career as well

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Fans are so funny!
Fopa or haha?

billser
10-02-2008, 06:30 PM
We're playing well and hes our only legitimate receiving threat...Arizona paid Fitzergald more and they have the likes of Boldin on the team...I think hes worth it because hes huge part of the bills

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Something to take into consideration:

When you are dealing with your own homegrown players there's nothing wrong with overpaying them a little. The teams nobody wants to go to are the teams who screw over their own players, especially the ones the team drafted.

Trust me, free agents take notice of teams who take care of their own. I've heard it from the mouths of several players who were former free agents.

Mitchy moo
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
No, we've been there before. If he helps us win it then he's worth his weight in gold.

That would go along with us getting there as well, so yeah good as gold.

yordad
10-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I wonder how much counts toward this year's cap?

Oh, and I think it's a fair deal. If it didn't get done, Ralph would have kept that money.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Doesn't really matter, we have enough to go around.

yordad
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, I'm hoping we can, and do, count his entire signing bonus + a year.

MikeInRoch
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Doesn't really matter, we have enough to go around.

I think that's what he's saying. The more of it that is this year, the better - that way we won't have as much of a burden in follow on years.

Philagape
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Probably a little above his pay grade in general, but it's worth what his value is to this offense. Without him, it's dead in the water.

DANMAN
10-02-2008, 07:26 PM
This deal makes Lee the third highest paid receiver in the league, per ESPN

As a FA he could have definitely got more.

He would have been the best available at his position, they always get overpaid (ie Jonas Jennings, NateClements). Several teams would have wanted Lee and at least one would have been very willing to offer a bigger money deal.
But the Bills paid up pretty big here, shows how much they think of Evans.

I think in cash to cap the whole signing bonus($18.7 mil) and the this years salary(?) is accounted for on this years cap.

DMBcrew36
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Penny pinch much?

Pay the man what he deserves. He's proven and consistent despite terrible surroundings.

gr8slayer
10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Penny pinch much?

Pay the man what he deserves. He's proven and consistent despite terrible surroundings.
To me that's the key, we like to talk about how Losman got screwed around with the different systems and different coaches, etc..... But we tend to forget that Evans has been through the same thing and has been relatively quiet about it and hasn't made any excuses for himself when he has a down game or year.

Bulldog
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
To me that's the key, we like to talk about how Losman got screwed around with the different systems and different coaches, etc..... But we tend to forget that Evans has been through the same thing and has been relatively quiet about it and hasn't made any excuses for himself when he has a down game or year.

The thing I love about Evans, is at the end of the day, it's all about wins and losses. When Leavy said Evans is more concerned with team goals than his personal goals, I believe it. The guy is a humble as they come and in a league full of "me" players, I find it rather refreshing. Job well done on the Bills and Evan's part. And by the way, he would have gotten as much if not more had he hit the open market.

BidsJr
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
RALPH IS CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dasaybz
10-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Who ****ing cares if the Bills caved.

They just sent a message that they pay their best players. They are so far under the cap it doesn't matter.

Any other stupid ****ing posts?

Tatonka
10-02-2008, 10:00 PM
He got what he was worth on the market. He only got 18.7 up front, the rest he'll have to earn. If he plays well enough to earn the rest then he was worth every penny.

god, i cant believe i am saying this, but i agree with you 100%.

the market determines evans value. you're nuts if you think evans wouldnt have gotten that much or more on the open market.. i would be willing to bet even more.. guys like bernard berrian are getting this kind of money, and evans is 2 x the receiver he is.

not to mention.. every offseason we have seen the prices go up and up.. look at the deal that kelsay got now.. it looks effing CHEAP!.. when he got it, it looked like the biggest deal in history.. but prices the next year are always inflated.

Bunnerjk
10-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Bottom line is that we need this guy. At least he didn't get Javon Walker money, lmao.

THATHURMANATOR
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Are people now complaining the Bills finally paid one of their best players.... WOW.... :ill:

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 12:52 AM
People are complaining we actually signed our best WR to an extension? These same people would have complained if we let him go.:shakeno:

thenry20
10-03-2008, 01:16 AM

So you'd rather he go on the market and get a Clements' type deal? WTF! That would pretty much screw us and we'd have no chance to re-sign him. Yes, there are stupid crazy teams out there who'd be willing to overpay.

No way. With TE playing like he is, do you doubt that Evans will be going to PB now???!!!

Night Train
10-03-2008, 02:20 AM
OMG ! We're all out of Cap space !

Wait a second..

DMBcrew36
10-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Please delete this thread - it's a joke.

Jan Reimers
10-03-2008, 04:18 AM
We locked up a key component in our offense. Who cares about contract numbers?

jmb1099
10-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Let's Recap how this Evans thing has played out over the past few weeks on As The Bills Zone Turns:
1) Complain how cheap Ralph is before Evans is signed
2) Complain what a poor job the front office is doing in their efforts to sign Evans
3) Complain afterwards once Evans is signed that the front office caved in to Evan's demands
That about cover it?

New Ro's Greatest
10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
You guys are funny! You call Ralph cheap he pays people now. Now your saying he is overpaying? He can never win it seems. Evans is going to the Pro-bowl this year so trust me this contract will look worth it when we are in the AFC championship game this year! GO BILLS:D:

Mr. Pink
10-03-2008, 06:24 AM
He is being paid the 3rd highest salary at WR in the league...problem is he's nowhere near the 3rd best WR in the league. In fact, if he was on the team we're playing Sunday, he'd be the 3rd best on their squad.

Problem is it doesn't matter what you're actually worth, and how good you truly are...salaries escalate yearly.

If I'm guys like Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, TJ Housz, etc...I'm feeling very very excited right now about the prospects of my next contract.

njsue
10-03-2008, 06:41 AM
About time they signed Evans.

Ebenezer
10-03-2008, 06:46 AM

I'm sure Clump will get all the numbers as soon as he can but I hope they dumped a pile into this year.

madness
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Please delete this thread - it's a joke.

Only if it's merged with the "Marshawn Sucks Rant" thread.

Lee is more underated by Bills fans then anyone else. The simple fact that he put up the numbers he did with inconsistant QB talent for this long is simply amazing.

He finally gets a consistant QB and he has stats comparable to a top 10 receiver already through 4 games. The guy could make Derek Anderson look good.

Griff
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Damn we have one of the best deep threats locked up for four years? That sucks, yeah we really caved. :rolleyes:

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Where's the thread starter in all this?:rofl:

justasportsfan
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Some team would've paid him more than 9 million next year with owners like Jerry Jones and Snyder lurking around. Clements case and point.