PDA

View Full Version : CBS on Time Warner goes dark

patmoran2006
10-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Holy ****.. It actually happened.

****ing idiots.. Say goodbye to thousands of subscribers today... This one included.

Yasgur's Farm
10-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Not CBS... The dispute is with the station owners of WIVB.

Rochester is not affected!!

Night Train
10-03-2008, 06:28 AM
:rofl:

When I returned to the area in 1992 , I ordered the Primestar Dish and never looked back.

Cable blows. I only feel sorry for those who have no choice.

Dr. Lecter
10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
If anybody switches to DishNetwork, PM me. :D

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
If anybody switches to DishNetwork, PM me. :D:rofl: I'll refer you ALL to DirecTV :up:

SABURZFAN
10-03-2008, 06:36 AM
you can always go to a bar. :beers:

RedEyE
10-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Unbelievable! Turner sucks balls.

Michael82
10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
:rofl: Actually if you read about it, the company that owns WIVB is the one who cut off their signal to Time Warner. They are the real idiots.

trapezeus
10-03-2008, 07:41 AM
i don't think the average guy would realize that CBS is cutting the feed. they see a blank screen and they blame the cable company. i predict an 11th hour saving and the bills game will eb on.

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
People said this wouldn't happen...lol:rofl::lol:

Michael82
10-03-2008, 07:57 AM
i don't think the average guy would realize that CBS is cutting the feed. they see a blank screen and they blame the cable company. i predict an 11th hour saving and the bills game will eb on.
I agree. I still don't see how the hell that CBS company thinks that the people will live not getting to see the Bills game on Sunday. I see them coming to an agreement either today or tomorrow with Time Warner. Someone will cave, I'm not sure who yet.

Michael82
10-03-2008, 07:59 AM
People said this wouldn't happen...lol:rofl::lol:
I didn't think it would. Time Warner had a problem with our local Fox channel last year and they came to an agreement at the last minute. It was never taken off the air.

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 08:03 AM
If you don't have Directv break out your rabbit ears folks....lol

Michael82
10-03-2008, 08:05 AM
If you are looking for who to blame, here it is folks.....

http://www.lintv.com/contact/time_warner.html

Dear Time Warner Cable subscriber,

Time Warner’s contract to carry LIN TV’s television stations on its cable system has expired, and Time Warner no longer has the right to carry our programming.

Please know that we have tried for several months to reach an agreement, so that our viewers would not have to miss any of our stations’ around-the-clock reporting of news, politics, traffic, weather emergencies, and public service announcements.

We are disappointed in the outcome of our negotiations with Time Warner, especially since we have successfully reached deals with every major cable, satellite and telecommunications company who recognize our fair market value. Without fair and equitable treatment, local TV stations will not be able to continue to provide top quality news, sports, entertainment, and other local programming that is most important to you.

We will continue to negotiate with Time Warner. Unfortunately, we do not know if, or when, we will reach an agreement.

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 08:24 AM
If you are looking for who to blame, here it is folks.....

http://www.lintv.com/contact/time_warner.htmlThat doesn't tell you who to blame at all. All that says is they wanted more money and Time Warner didn't want to give it to them. Doesn't make one side right or wrong.

patmoran2006
10-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I switched.. I just dropped Time Warner cable and got a Verizon package with land line phone (I didn’t have one, was using only a cell) and Direct TV with the Sunday Ticket package..<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
F Time Warner, they did this last year with Fox. IM done with them.<o:p></o:p>

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I switched.. I just dropped Time Warner cable and got a Verizon package with land line phone (I didn’t have one, was using only a cell) and Direct TV with the Sunday Ticket package..<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
F Time Warner, they did this last year with Fox. IM done with them.<o:p></o:p>PM if you want to save $50 off your bill over the course of a year :up:

Michael82
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
That doesn't tell you who to blame at all. All that says is they wanted more money and Time Warner didn't want to give it to them. Doesn't make one side right or wrong.
I'm sorry, I always thought the basic local channels are supposed to be free (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC)

Philagape
10-03-2008, 08:30 AM
These companies are nuts ... TW will see a mass exodus to DirecTV (a good choice anyway which I did this year), and Ch. 4 will lose 59 percent of its viewers, according to the Buffalo News. Good luck with their advertisers! It's mutual suicide. Just plain whacked out, out of their skulls insane.

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry, I always thought the basic local channels are supposed to be free (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC)They are, get out an antenna and they are all yours.

Ebenezer
10-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I've said for years there is no reason for anybody to have cable. I get more programming and the same price. What I am missing? The local weather on TWC. Big deal. I have windows and can see outside.

Ebenezer
10-03-2008, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry, I always thought the basic local channels are supposed to be free (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC)
They are free to you...they are not free to the people who carry them to you.

Philagape
10-03-2008, 08:47 AM
They are, get out an antenna and they are all yours.

Not for much longer.

hydro
10-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Not for much longer.

How do you figure?

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 08:53 AM
How do you figure?

In case you haven't heard stations will all be broadcasting HD soon which means you will not be able to get the signal through rabbit ears.

THATHURMANATOR
10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I can't get dish :(

realdealryan
10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
In case you haven't heard stations will all be broadcasting HD soon which means you will not be able to get the signal through rabbit ears.

google ATSC & NTSC

THATHURMANATOR
10-03-2008, 08:58 AM
In case you haven't heard stations will all be broadcasting HD soon which means you will not be able to get the signal through rabbit ears.yeah in February

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't even live in WNY and I think Time Warner blows. As of yesterday they tried to raise my fees for absolutely no reason, and didn't care if they lost a $130/month customer for a $11/month increase.

So I'm calling DirectTV today. :up:

Dr. Lecter
10-03-2008, 09:02 AM

Not true at all.

They will be broadcasting in digital and you can buy digital atennas.

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
google ATSC & NTSC

Got it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC

The Spaz
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Not true at all.

They will be broadcasting in digital and you can buy digital atennas.

So it won't be through "regular" rabbit ears right?

trapezeus
10-03-2008, 09:07 AM
instead of a financial meltdown, i would have rather seen a cable meltdown. they are a bunch of crooks. Their monopoly allows them to gouge the channels, and then they pass it on to the customer either way. even if they get higher payments frmo the channel, they still say that they have to raise the bill. it's ridiculous.

Now DirecTV pisses me off because it's not like you can just switch over without issue. if you aren't in a sightline, you're out of luck. and somehow they have the NFL package exclusively. BAH!

And verizon seems to be taking their sweet time with fios. here in nyc, its really only available in staten island. Really? Statenisland was your testing ground. it should have been manhattan, but guess who's lobbyists slowed that down and made it impossible. TW.

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't even live in WNY and I think Time Warner blows. As of yesterday they tried to raise my fees for absolutely no reason, and didn't care if they lost a $130/month customer for a $11/month increase.

So I'm calling DirectTV today. :up:

PM if you want to save $50 off your bill over the course of a year :up:

Philagape
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
How do you figure?

All TV is going digital soon, I think early next year. Antennas will be obsolete

BlackMetalNinja
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
All TV is going digital soon, I think early next year. Antennas will be obsoleteQuite wrong...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.pdf

Dr. Lecter
10-03-2008, 09:30 AM
All TV is going digital soon, I think early next year. Antennas will be obsolete

No, no and no.

You can get a convertor box to take the antenna signal and make it work.

Dr. Lecter
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Another link. (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/news-electronics-computers/pulling-the-plug-on-analog-tv-206/)

Philagape
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Antennas as they are will be obsolete.

hydro
10-03-2008, 09:43 AM

All those commercials look to be a big waste of money. Still nobody knows what is going on...

hydro
10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Antennas as they are will be obsolete.
No, analog tvs by themselves will be. Well unless you get a converter box. Everything will work fine for everyone unless you have a old tv that is only analog. IN that case you would have to only get that converter box. Everything else will stay the same.

Philagape
10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
People who get their TV that way will have to do something! Sheesh

hydro
10-03-2008, 09:56 AM
People who get their TV that way will have to do something! Sheesh

That is a small percentage but yes they will have to decide whether or not to join us in the 21st century or by a $40 box.

Mr. Miyagi
10-03-2008, 09:57 AM
PM if you want to save $50 off your bill over the course of a year :up:
I'll keep that in mind. :up:

realdealryan
10-03-2008, 10:14 AM
They are doing this in Indy, too - our local carrier with the problem is Bright House networks. No Colts games in 1/4 of the households in Indy.

Clarification-

Ditching/avoiding cable or satellite with an old tv? Buy a digital tuner at Walmart. $60 I think. Oh, and you get $40 back (see below). During '01-'04 when I sold TVs, they told us this analog bandwidth was going to be used by emergency services or something. I'm sure. :rolleyes: Antenna? Use a regular television antenna, one you can buy for $10 at Walmart. MacGyver a fork, clothes hanger and aluminum foil if you want.

But-

1) Digital is NOT HD, but it can be, and it almost always IS when we are referring to a sporting event or a primetime show.

2) Digital standard-def looks worse on a analog set than analog standard-def.

Converter Box Coupon Program

Between Jan. 1, 2008, and March 31, 2009, all U.S. households will be eligible to request up to two coupons, worth $40 each, to be used toward the purchase of up to two, digital-to-analog converter boxes. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has responsibility for administering the coupon program. (Please note that these coupons will expire 90 days after mailing). More information can be found at www.DTV2009.gov (http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/bye?https://www.dtv2009.gov).

bigbub2352
10-03-2008, 10:21 AM
i just switched to Fios, thank god but dont get install until NOV, TW blows i hope they completely get ****ed by this and everyone chooses alternative TV
Gonna watch the game on rabbit ears till then

kinigirly
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
i already have a migraine when i saw some crappy college sports thing on instead of channel 4. i live in a complex, so we don't get to choose our utilities, we have to go with time warner. :ill: i know the other local channels were watching cause they are gonna have to deal with this next. my mom texted me and said in the niagara gazette that other channels like showtime and scifi are on the block for some reason. i'm writing a not so nice letter to the complex tonite. we have verizon for internet, why can't we just drop time warner and switch to verizon fios? if not i'm gonna have to move. that's so gay, having to move over tv!

AG75
10-03-2008, 10:51 AM
i already have a migraine when i saw some crappy college sports thing on instead of channel 4. i live in a complex, so we don't get to choose our utilities, we have to go with time warner. :ill: i know the other local channels were watching cause they are gonna have to deal with this next. my mom texted me and said in the niagara gazette that other channels like showtime and scifi are on the block for some reason. i'm writing a not so nice letter to the complex tonite. we have verizon for internet, why can't we just drop time warner and switch to verizon fios? if not i'm gonna have to move. that's so gay, having to move over tv!

I'm in the same situation. I live in an apartment and we only get TW and I cannot do anything about this, aside from move and that is not an option right now. Freaking sucks.

hydro
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM

There is a verizon dsl and verizon fios. If you complex has verizon dsl internet that doesn't automatically mean your area has fios.

sba
10-03-2008, 11:17 AM
I just called Sat Solutions...seems like DTV with the NFL Ticket is cheaper than what I'm paying for TW anyway.

Just gotta hope I get a good signal where I am.

hydro
10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I just called Sat Solutions...seems like DTV with the NFL Ticket is cheaper than what I'm paying for TW anyway.

Just gotta hope I get a good signal where I am.

This right here is where TW screwed up. They are losing customers by the minute. I hope it was all worth it for them...

Bulldog
10-03-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope TW takes in the ASS in a big way.

Mski
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
way back during the otcober storm i purchased an HD all digital over-the-air antenna.... just hooked it up and still get chanel 4 in HD.... going to wait for fios to become available to switch to anything

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I still have CBS coming out of Rochester since my official TW cable comes from Rochester but the weird thing is that my check goes to Buffalo TW...go figure :idunno: and I watch WGRZ Ch2 News a Granite broadcasting station as you all know. Take this Jackie Walker, Don Postels, Don Paul (Kevin O'Connel and doppler2000 :up:) is better than you! and Ed Kilgore. After this you won't be the #1 newscast in WNY anymore "which you claim" but we all know WGRZ is #1 Ch2 is on your side they stay with the stories until it's resolved they also put people in power accountable and they listen to their viewers" Not like Ch4 does" Plus I only watch CBS for the Bills, TPiR, Criminal Minds and Cold Case.

Dr. Pepper
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
ill start eating crow if it's still out at 4pm Sunday.

im4bflo
10-03-2008, 06:32 PM
TW took over our old cable company, and the first thing they did was
drop the NFL Network, and it's been downhill from there.
TW is a POS!

TrEd FTW
10-03-2008, 06:45 PM
It takes two to **** things up in this scenario, but I tend to fault LIN more than TW. Either way, it's absolutely awful for the customer; let's just hope somebody caves at some point tomorrow. I have a hunch that'll be the case, because I can't believe a corporation would be moronic enough to cost people NFL games.

Meathead
10-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I see them coming to an agreement either today or tomorrow with Time Warner.
idk i said the same thing about empire sports and nfl network. granted this is much bigger for us, but that dont mean it wont end up just like the others. in fact i bet it will :sad:

i will probably give them this game to not be on, but if the next one isnt on cable im switching to dish

btw- i know nothing about the dish options, what are they? i mean what companies provide dish-received service?

hydro
10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
You have directv and dishnetwork. I would look them up online and see what you like for programming and pricing. People on here prefer Directv but I wan't able to get that as I didn't have a line of sight to their satellite. I went with dishnetwork and haven't had any problems with it.

DGreg
10-04-2008, 09:06 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/454499.html

Meathead
10-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Please Give to SLOP

mybills
10-04-2008, 09:13 AM
As of Feb rabbit ears won't even work around here. "It's the digital age"..tho I don't know anyone who even uses them. But that sucks big time for that area. They'll all be at the bar.

Night Train
10-04-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=162387

Novacane
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Who are you calling greedy bastards? TW or CBS?

yordad
10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I blame TWC

Griff
10-04-2008, 09:31 AM
guess its time for you local cats to find a sports the bar like us out of towners.

Confused
10-04-2008, 10:46 AM
that sux balls. I hate twc.

gr8slayer
10-04-2008, 11:06 AM
My Slingbox just got more popular :snicker:

superbills
10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
As of Feb rabbit ears won't even work around here. "It's the digital age"..tho I don't know anyone who even uses them. But that sucks big time for that area. They'll all be at the bar.

Rabbit ears will work, they just won't be pulling in analog stations. Digital and HD stations broadcast "over the air" will still be picked up by antenna's, which will work fo people who have televisions capable of handling a digital or HD signal.

Jan Reimers
10-04-2008, 11:36 AM
The long term answer is DirecTV. The short term answer is a sports bar, friend, neighbor, or home invasion of someone with DirecTV.

MikeInRoch
10-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Why would anyone blame TWC? Are they offering that station less money than EVERY OTHER ONE?

Michael82
10-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Why would anyone blame TWC? Are they offering that station less money than EVERY OTHER ONE?
EXACTLY! I'm sorry, but it was LIN TV that stopped offering WIVB to Time Warner because TW said no to paying extra cash for a station that is supposed to be free.

DynaPaul
10-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Buffalo people, there's never been a better time to switch over to Verizon FiOS. (Yes, I work for them and even helped install some equipment out there.)

casdhf
10-04-2008, 01:30 PM
What the hell is a sling box?

I'm going to have to watch it at the in-laws :ill:

Michael82
10-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I wonder who's going to blink first. Looks like LIN TV is doing this to the Buffalo, Green Bay, Indianapolis, and a Dallas Cowboys market. :ill:

mybills
10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Rabbit ears will work, they just won't be pulling in analog stations. Digital and HD stations broadcast "over the air" will still be picked up by antenna's, which will work fo people who have televisions capable of handling a digital or HD signal.
Obviously they will work in NY.
They will not work in RI as of February 09.

Bufftp
10-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Remember if you get hi-def rabbit ears to have the tv search for signals, so it finds the hi-def broadcast.

My high def cbs is better on the rabbit ears than on TW. O.o

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
ill start eating crow if it's still out at 4pm Sunday.

http://wivb.images.worldnow.com/images/244174_G.jpg

bills_7
10-04-2008, 04:22 PM
does this affect people in canada?

LtFinFan66
10-04-2008, 04:43 PM
EXACTLY! I'm sorry, but it was LIN TV that stopped offering WIVB to Time Warner because TW said no to paying extra cash for a station that is supposed to be free.Please Mikey with the TW bashing.:rolleyes:....they had issues with the NFLN, Big 10 Network, and now this?? Sure seems THEY are the problem and not everyone else:

LtFinFan66
10-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Obviously they will work in NY.
They will not work in RI as of February 09.Digital rabbit ears won't work in RI? Link??

THATHURMANATOR
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM
They won't work anywhere in the country as of Feb 09. It is a national thing.

THATHURMANATOR
10-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Remember if you get hi-def rabbit ears to have the tv search for signals, so it finds the hi-def broadcast.

My high def cbs is better on the rabbit ears than on TW. O.o
HOw much are high def rabbit ears?

SquishDaFish
10-04-2008, 06:17 PM
:rofl:

When I returned to the area in 1992 , I ordered the Primestar Dish and never looked back.

Cable blows. I only feel sorry for those who have no choice.

Thats what I did Primestar which then was bought out by Direct TV and would never go anywhere else. Direct Tv all the way

casdhf
10-04-2008, 06:27 PM
HOw much are high def rabbit ears? Usually about the same price, Thurm. Under $20.

superbills
10-04-2008, 06:51 PM
A couple of things...

Rabbit ears will not pick up ANALOG signals. Digital signals that are broadcast over the air WILL STILL COME IN even after the February deadline.

You do NOT need an "HD" antenna. There really is no such thing. HD signals are broadcast on either a VHF or UHF signal which all standard "rabbit ears" antennas will pick up. Some of the so-called "HD" antennas have amplifiers to boost signal pickup, but they do not pick up any different signals than an old set of rabbit ears would.

mybills...Road Island should be no different than any locality in the country. If someone told you differently, they are wrong. Actually, there is no way that anyone could prevent you from picking up digital or high def signals, unless they stop broadcasting them, which would be asinine on their part.

Here is a link to back up my story...
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq12

TigerJ
10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
:rofl: Actually if you read about it, the company that owns WIVB is the one who cut off their signal to Time Warner. They are the real idiots.

Lin Corporation, the owners of WIVB were seeking one cent per month per subscriber to carry the signals of WIVB and WNLO (the CW network station. Time Warner balked, arguing that viewers shouldn't have to pay for a signal that they can get free with a roof antenna. Lin Corporation counters that every other pay service that carries their signal agreed to the new charge.

They had a temporary agreement in place. Lin Corporation declined to renew it. I might be more sympathetic to Time Warner's argument had they not pulled the NFL Network because they wanted to package the NFL Network with several junk sports networks and charge a premium package price for it. I don't believe for an instant that Time Warner is capable of an ethical thought. Personally, 12 cents a year won't break me. I can understand that in these tough economic times, advertizing revenue is probably down and Lin Corporation is trying to find some other revenue streams. I don't hate many things, but Tiome Warner is one of them.

Bufftp
10-04-2008, 07:37 PM
HOw much are high def rabbit ears?
22-35 bucks

DMBcrew36
10-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Looks like I'll be watching the game at the Buffalo Brew Pub tomorrow!

I hope Time Warner's nat'l headquarters burns down.

realdealryan
10-04-2008, 08:53 PM
You do NOT need an "HD" antenna. There really is no such thing. HD signals are broadcast on either a VHF or UHF signal which all standard "rabbit ears" antennas will pick up.

TRUF!

Some of the so-called "HD" antennas have amplifiers to boost signal pickup, but they do not pick up any different signals than an old set of rabbit ears would.

...WHICH DOESN'T EVEN HELP. HD IS "ALL OR NOTHING" CHOPPY. A WEAK SIGNAL DOESN'T COME IN; AMPLIFYING NOTHING IS STILL NOTHING.

Typ0
10-04-2008, 08:57 PM
22-35 bucks

you got suckered man there is no such thing as a high def antenna.

Meathead
10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
can you get internet access through the dish companies?

clumping platelets
10-04-2008, 10:55 PM
:mad:

Philagape
10-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Lin Corporation counters that every other pay service that carries their signal agreed to the new charge.

And every other network affiliate doesn't charge for their signal.

LtFinFan66
10-04-2008, 11:07 PM
They won't work anywhere in the country as of Feb 09. It is a national thing.Uhhh....DIGITAL ones WILL work sir

Michael82
10-05-2008, 12:48 AM
And every other network affiliate doesn't charge for their signal.
Exactly!

Michael82
10-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Looks like Time Warner and LIN TV were trying to do you guys a favor. Who actually enjoyed watching that mess? :ill:

Bert102176
10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I signed up with dish F*** Time Warner they can kiss my A** and I sent them an email saying so

blackonyx89
10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I signed up with dish F*** Time Warner they can kiss my A** and I sent them an email saying so

Too bad we can't run Time Warner out of town!!!