PDA

View Full Version : Williams might ask for No. 7 money

Gunzlingr
04-30-2003, 09:14 AM
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even as Minnesota Vikings officials attempt to move beyond the public relations implications of a second straight first-round fiasco, the club might still face some financial fallout from its latest draft snafu.

The agent for first-rounder Kevin Williams -- who was chosen with the ninth overall pick, but only after Minnesota and Baltimore botched a trade, and the Vikings were forced to make a rare "pass" -- hinted Tuesday morning that he will seek a contract commensurate with the seventh overall selection for the former Oklahoma State defensive tackle.

Providing fuel to agent Tom Condon's argument that Williams is entitled to the No. 7 slot, and not ninth-choice money, is the admission by club officials that they planned to select Williams anyway with the seventh pick.

"I'm pretty sure they're going to be allocated rookie pool money based on Kevin being the ninth pick," Condon said. "But I'm going to do my best to get him a deal as if he was the seventh choice. I mean, they're the ones who said they were going to take him at the seventh (spot), right?"

MORE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1546443)