PDA

View Full Version : I just re-watched the Rams game...

Mahdi
10-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I made it a point to focus on why the run game is struggling so much and I confirmed what most of us already know. But now I know it with a 1000% surety.

Melvin Fowler is the WORST run blocker in the NFL.

I watched Fowler on every run play..... Its actually incredible how many times he gets pushed back into Lynch and Jackson. I counted 5 runs where his rear-end actually bumps our RB at or before the LOS because he is getting thrown back 3-4 yards, no exaggeration, if anyone else TIVOed it you'll see what I mean. On top of that he misses his assignment on most running plays.

On the 27 yard Lynch run in the last 2 minutes of the first half Fowler was called for a "Tripping" penalty. The reason he got that penalty was because he wiffed so bad on the block that he fell on his face and his legs were extended causing the LB to trip over them.

In pass blocking he got abused several times right up the middle and got Trent killed.

I wonder if the coaching staff is considering a change. At this point he has actually become a liability. On the rare occasion that he does make his block in the run game it goes for a nice gain. That tells me that if we can just get someone at C who can perform at a consistent level, not even a great level, then that will allow the rest of our OL to open holes.

I hope he gets pulled before this season ends.

Saratoga Slim
10-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm with ya. But any suggestions as to who we put in there?

njsue
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I made it a point to focus on why the run game is struggling so much and I confirmed what most of us already know. But now I know it with a 1000% surety.

Melvin Fowler is the WORST run blocker in the NFL.

I watched Fowler on every run play..... Its actually incredible how many times he gets pushed back into Lynch and Jackson. I counted 5 runs where his rear-end actually bumps our RB at or before the LOS because he is getting thrown back 3-4 yards, no exaggeration, if anyone else TIVOed it you'll see what I mean. On top of that he misses his assignment on most running plays.

On the 27 yard Lynch run in the last 2 minutes of the first half Fowler was called for a "Tripping" penalty. The reason he got that penalty was because he wiffed so bad on the block that he fell on his face and his legs were extended causing the LB to trip over them.

In pass blocking he got abused several times right up the middle and got Trent killed.

I wonder if the coaching staff is considering a change. At this point he has actually become a liability. On the rare occasion that he does make his block in the run game it goes for a nice gain. That tells me that if we can just get someone at C who can perform at a consistent level, not even a great level, then that will allow the rest of our OL to open holes.

I hope he gets pulled before this season ends.

Absolutely! :bf1:

Mahdi
10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Preston? Whittle? Mckaskill?

It cant get any worse than Fowler.

It looks like he physically cant handle the NFL.

Night Train
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Butler isn't much better.

I want a talented Guard & Center in the next draft.

trapezeus
10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
melvin's weakness haven't even started to show up yet. wait til we lose a game and have these things to point back to. Fowler will universally become every fan's whipping boy. to have 2 running backs who are so hard to bring down, it's annoying we arent getting them the holes they need for the second layer in the secondary.

Captain gameboy
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
For all of the abuse Peters has taken this week, we didn't hear a thing from Long in the second half, did we?

yordad
10-03-2008, 12:32 PM
On the 27 yard Lynch run in the last 2 minutes of the first half Fowler was called for a "Tripping" penalty. The reason he got that penalty was because he wiffed so bad on the block that he fell on his face and his legs were extended causing the LB to trip over them. I agree with everything. And, I rewound this play to watch the trip, so I know exactly what you mean. My question is: Since when is lying on your face while a LB trips OVER YOU considered a tripping penalty?

yordad
10-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm with ya. But any suggestions as to who we put in there?Well, I have been suggesting, for quite some time now, that we look for an upgrade. Seems the Bills just haven't noticed how horrible he is, or they think "Ah, he'll be better next year". :wtf:

Griff
10-03-2008, 01:02 PM

a one legged cat with a sinus infection would be an upgrade.

I have a crazy idea... really its insane and I realize this, so its the idea not me that's crazy. Put JP at center, move Walker to LT and have Chambers start at RT.

justasportsfan
10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Parrish might be an upgrade over Fowler.

Mitchy moo
10-03-2008, 01:07 PM
We have a center??

mayotm
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
a one legged cat with a sinus infection would be an upgrade.

I have a crazy idea... really its insane and I realize this, so its the idea not me that's crazy. Put JP at center, move Walker to LT and have Chambers start at RT.You're right. It is a crazy idea.

Ebenezer
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't have to re-watch the Rams game to understand this...the only reason the Rams were even in the game is because they pulled out all the tricks and stops in the first half and kept the game close. Except for S. Jackson they were outclassed all day.

Goobylal
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm expecting to see someone else at center during the bye week. My first choice would be Preston, and then Whittle.

Goobylal
10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't have to re-watch the Rams game to understand this...the only reason the Rams were even in the game is because they pulled out all the tricks and stops in the first half and kept the game close. Except for S. Jackson they were outclassed all day.
I missed the Rams' first series, but I heard that the refs missed a fumble by Green (on the 3rd play) that was recovered by the Bills and returned for a TD, but they blew the whistle too early thinking it was a forward pass.

Ingtar33
10-03-2008, 01:14 PM
i could live (barely) with his awful blocking if his line calls didn't lead directly to two sacks.

it couldn't be worse right now.... he's not even getting the calls right.

Mahdi
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree with everything. And, I rewound this play to watch the trip, so I know exactly what you mean. My question is: Since when is lying on your face while a LB trips OVER YOU considered a tripping penalty?
I was going to add that point in ,,,, I cant believe it was called a penalty... but I guess the refs are aware of how bad Fowler is and figured he probably fell on purpose cuz he cant make the block otherwise....

But seriously,,, thats a horrible call...

yordad
10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I missed the Rams' first series, but I heard that the refs missed a fumble by Green (on the 3rd play) that was recovered by the Bills and returned for a TD, but they blew the whistle too early thinking it was a forward pass.I rewound that too. It was close, but I don't think it was a fumble.

Philagape
10-03-2008, 02:55 PM
In other news, the sky is blue ....

homeslice5484
10-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Duke Preston when playing center with the starting unit in pre season was opening holes.