PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Schobel

patmoran2006
10-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Hearing a lot of talk about how much he's slowing down and hasn't been effective this year.

I couldnt disagree more.

I think he's still playing at a high level, and I also think he's playing the run so far this year as good as he has at any point in his career.

STop judging guys ONLY by their numbers. I'm aware he only has one sack this year. But he's still making plays and in my opinion at least, is playing the run a hell of a lot better.

patmoran2006
10-05-2008, 10:16 AM
BTW, does anyone know a site where you can find the stat for quarterback pressures?

I cant find any non-media site that tracts them right now.

OpIv37
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Numbers?

forget about numbers. Just watch the guy.

Schobel played the run well against Oakland, but other than that he's been a non factor. I do remember one game (can't remember which one) where he had pressure on two consecutive plays, but then he had to go to the bench and take a breather.

Other than that, he's almost always neutralized and never even close to the QB. He got completely manhandled against Seattle and was easily handled more often than not in the other 3 games.

Hell, in that NFL Network Mic'd up segment, he even said himself that he didn't have the speed.

People aren't just looking at Schobel's stat line and criticizing him. There's a real basis for it.

Scumbag College
10-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I think with Schobel's drop in statistics is that you see alot of talent now around him now. He won't be the only one pressuring the QB and getting the only stat that's glamorous to defensive lineman, the sack. Kelsay and Kyle Williams have improved. Stroud has been a huge pick up. Mitchell and Poz are always around the ball. Also, the Bills have put together a very good secondary.

I think it's a testament to the improved defense that the sacks and pressures are coming from other players. Schobel doesn't have to be a one man defensive line anymore.

jamze132
10-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Schobel is more than likely still being game-planned for by opposing offenses.

DMBcrew36
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Schobel is more than likely still being game-planned for by opposing offenses.

Yeah, but with Stroud, you'd think he'd be freed up more. But with the lack of performance we're seeing from him, compared to what we're used to, you'd wouldn't think Stroud had any impact whatsoever in freeing him up.

BillsOwnAll
10-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Op im pretty sure schobel was being sarcastic in that segment. He knew he was Mic'd up. He wouldnt seriously say that. Be realistic;)

Michael82
10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I still say that he needs to put the weight back on, especially his upper body. He's getting schooled by the OTs and never even smells the QBs. :ill:

Goobylal
10-05-2008, 10:43 AM
BTW, does anyone know a site where you can find the stat for quarterback pressures?

I cant find any non-media site that tracts them right now.
He had 2 QB hurries (and a sack) against the Seahawks and 1 QBH against the Rams. His play has definitely fallen-off. I'd like to see Ellis in there sooner rather than later. That is, not necesarily starting, but getting at least SOME playing time. Bryan isn't starting material.

OpIv37
10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I still say that he needs to put the weight back on, especially his upper body. He's getting schooled by the OTs and never even smells the QBs. :ill:

but according to that well respected beacon of journalistic integrity Chris Brown, Schobel never lost any weight.

Lexwhat
10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Hearing a lot of talk about how much he's slowing down and hasn't been effective this year.

I couldnt disagree more.

I think he's still playing at a high level, and I also think he's playing the run so far this year as good as he has at any point in his career.

STop judging guys ONLY by their numbers. I'm aware he only has one sack this year. But he's still making plays and in my opinion at least, is playing the run a hell of a lot better.

I'm happy with our 4-0 record, and don't wanna complain too much.

However, Schobel is NOT playing like a $49 million dollar man. If we wanted simply a good run-stopping DE, we could get one for a lot cheaper.

Michael82
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
but according to that well respected beacon of journalistic integrity Chris Brown, Schobel never lost any weight.
:rofl:

Griff
10-05-2008, 11:48 AM

I couldnt disagree more.

Aaron himself disagrees with you, he was talking with the guys about how he's not as fast as he used to be.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2008, 12:27 PM

I couldnt disagree more.

At 50 million dollars I expect him to get to the the QB. Williams, Johnson, and Stroud are the main reasons he's looking better against the run, not him.

I personally hope this is his last season as a Bill.

I'll take Mitchell's advice to Schobel on the subject.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2008, 12:29 PM
I have Justa on ignore but I told him and everyone here that Schobel was going to suck this year.

Michael82
10-05-2008, 07:00 PM
BUMP!!! :sigh:

Aaron Schobel was playing against Mike Gandy and still did nothing. He's having a horrible year! Until he puts the weight back on, he will get schooled by the OTs. :ill:

HHURRICANE
10-05-2008, 07:05 PM
BUMP!!! :sigh:

Aaron Schobel was playing against Mike Gandy and still did nothing. He's having a horrible year! Until he puts the weight back on, he will get schooled by the OTs. :ill:

Today it was important to stop the run and not get to the QB. Warner wasn't throwing the ball that well.:lmao:

Oaf
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
He looked absolutely pathetic apart from a few shoestring tackles against the run. IMO, it's clear he's no longer in the upper echelon of DEs. Can't believe we gave him that contract..

Michael82
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
He looked absolutely pathetic apart from a few shoestring tackles against the run. IMO, it's clear he's no longer in the upper echelon of DEs. Can't believe we gave him that contract..
Maybe we should move him to OLB. He can replace Keith Ellison, who blows. I like the way Schobel plays against the run, but he is horrid for pass rush and getting sacks. He can tackle though, so he might make a good LB.

ScottLawrence
10-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Schobel, Kelsay, and Denney are getting away with robery each and every game.

DynaPaul
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Schobel is NOT playing up to his contract. End of story.

Owen DeBoard
10-05-2008, 09:02 PM
You guys are forgetting that Schobel is the leading sacker in the AFC since 2003 and dont give me that bull**** excuse saying its garbage time sacks either.

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Schobel and Peters are both on my **** list right now.

Mahdi
10-05-2008, 09:27 PM

I couldnt disagree more.

Hey I'm a glass half full guy as much as anyone else but Schobel has been horrible. He has gotten very little pressure on opposing QBs. Today was a perfect example, Schobel didnt even get near Warner and against WRs like they have Warner having 3-4 seconds to throw is suicide. Not to mention the fact he was going up against All-World Mike Gandy.

Oaf
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Maybe we should move him to OLB. He can replace Keith Ellison, who blows. I like the way Schobel plays against the run, but he is horrid for pass rush and getting sacks. He can tackle though, so he might make a good LB.
Dude, I'm down. It's not like Ellis could play too much worse anyways.

Oaf
10-05-2008, 10:41 PM
You guys are forgetting that Schobel is the leading sacker in the AFC since 2003 and dont give me that bull**** excuse saying its garbage time sacks either.
True that. I actually liked his play last year, even with the 6.5. This year is different IMO.

jamze132
10-06-2008, 02:30 AM
It's not just Schobel playing like crap this year, especially yesteray in Arizona. We couldn't generate much of a pass rush and we rarely blitzed to put pressure on Warner. I know they had a lot of spread formations but our defense as a whole, looked like garbage yesterday.

Michael82
10-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey I'm a glass half full guy as much as anyone else but Schobel has been horrible. He has gotten very little pressure on opposing QBs. Today was a perfect example, Schobel didnt even get near Warner and against WRs like they have Warner having 3-4 seconds to throw is suicide. Not to mention the fact he was going up against All-World Mike Gandy.
Exactly! Good post! :hi5: