PDA

View Full Version : PFW: McGahee will reward bold Bills for making him a first-round pick

lordofgun
04-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Here it is two days after the NFL’s 68th annual selection meeting and people can’t stop talking about Willis McGahee. Think about it. How much have you heard about No. 1 pick Carson Palmer? Or No. 2 pick Charles Rogers? Or any of the other 22 picks that went before McGahee for that matter? Without question, McGahee is the lasting story of this draft. And no one will have more attention focused on him in the coming months. Not Palmer, not Rogers, no one. Words like “miraculous” and “amazing” have been used to describe McGahee’s rehabilitation from the potentially career-threatening knee injury he suffered in early January in the Fiesta Bowl ad nauseum. But, the fact of the matter is, no football player has ever come so far so fast.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2003/holbrook042903.htm

Gunzlingr
04-30-2003, 10:51 AM
You stealin' my articles LOG? :D

:jk:

lordofgun
04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
yes :snicker:

EDS
04-30-2003, 11:05 AM
I like this guys big picture assessment. Sure McGahee is a risky pick because of the injury, but so was Thurman Thomas, not to mention Sam Cowart (sure he got hurt latter but be was a great 2d round pick). Signing a guy like James Lofton was a risk (age), trading for Cornelius Bennett was a risk (high price to pay), etc. The Bills have a storied history - which was built on taking risks from time to time. We would never have gotten to four super bowls without taking risks on TT, CB and JL. Maybe MaGahee doesn't workout, but there is a chance that he can put the Bills over the top (he was better in college than either Edgerin James or Clinton Portis and they have achieved success in the NFL). This is especially true if you look at what was available in the draft. It will be interesting to see in the coming years whether guys like William Joseph, Rashean Mathis and Dallas Clark have greater impacts in the NFL than MaGagee.

WG
04-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Defense wins championships!

Our D is vastly improved, but nowhere near perfect. Posey, Fletcher, PP, Wire, Reese (whomever), one DE position are HUGE question marks heading into this season!

We didn't address one single one of those needs adequately unless Kelsay works out, but his strengths indicate to me that we should be happy if he's another Schobel/Hanson type.

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Fletcher? 3rd in the NFL in tackles, pro bowl alternate and you have quaestions? Wire? First year on the team, second with tackles, tremndous promise and you have questions? I agree that one DE and FS and SLB spot may be weak (well have to see, I dont think any will be near as bad as you suspect) Looks like a great defense to me.

* And your grouping of Schobel and Hanson together is incorrect. You put them together cuz they're both white or something? Cuz they are different players, Schobel is a speed pass rusher while Hanson was a stay at home play the run DE with a high motor.

WG
04-30-2003, 09:37 PM
Fletcher was 6th in the league in solo tackles and given all the opportunities he had with Mr. Jukes next to him on one side and no one next to him on the other often, he should have logged a LOT more than 108 solos with no DL in front of him. Heck, that many could have fallen into his lap.

Are you counting the times where defenders bounced off of him or where he was simply too slow to meet even moderately skilled RBs around the corners???

You'll see. He's not bad, but he's nowhere near a true pro bowl MLB. He should have logged quite a bit more than he did last year w/ that horrendous line in front of him.

Second on the team in tackles for a team that couldn't tackle? Big deal! "Promise"! Come on! The man's gotta have more than promise, he's been in the league 5 or 6 years.

We'll see. If he's as good as you say, it'll be quite evident this year. If he's not, then that will be evident too. Obviously you believe he's great. I'm not gonna change your mind, so we'll have to wait 6 months to see, eh. ;)

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Uhhhh, I dont know what youve been smokin but this was Wire's 1st year... 5 or 6? Where did you get that one? And Fletcher being slow? LOL, hes one of the fastest MLB's in the league!!!!!!!!!! I mean, cmon....

*Fletchers a probowl alternate and you're upset? lol, you know, we cant have probowlers at every position, we have to settle for alterantes once in a while.

Michael82
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Here's a good one. :rofl:

SquishDaFish
03-08-2007, 05:24 PM
lol