Am I the only one, or is anyone worried about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Am I the only one, or is anyone worried about...

... the Henry/McGahee situation. Hear me out please.

I'm operating under the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it scenario" here. Assuming that Henry corrects his fumbling issues, and I still say Bledsoe's INT issues are the greater of the two evils, then we have on our hands one of the top couple of RBs in the league. Right.

Also, keep in mind, that if he hadn't gotten fewer than 20 carries in half the games last year, and 15 or fewer in 6 games, Henry likely would have challenged for league rushing title.

My concern is this; aren't we getting a bit greedy here?

I assume that in his second full season starting, that Henry will continue to work out his issues. Suppose he does. Suppose he becomes #1, 2, or 3 in the league. Sure, he'll be worth a ton. Suppose we then rely on McGahee, we trade Henry, which seems to be the going preference. Then suppose Henry has 6 more outstanding seasons while McGahee goes down w/ yet another, his would-be 4th major injury over his football career.

Wouldn't we then be left out in the cold?

Sure, there's no question that McGahee is the better rusher assuming that he plays the same in the NFL that he did in college. We still have no clue how he'll be "on the field" all doctors' prognoses aside. We also have no clue as to whether or not he'll get hurt again.

In short, if Henry progresses at the rate he did last year, challenges for the NFL's rushing title, with no significant injury issues, wouldn't it be a tad bit greedy and much riskier to trade him and keep McGahee?

Sure, let's assume that McGahee really will be better than that? But how much better would we need? I mean really!

Anyway, I just think this entire thing is a bit greedy and that we could have addressed some holes/needs that would have helped us this season instead of maybe helping us in '04/'05.

I don't think the improvement in the marginal utility of McGahee over Henry is anywhere near worth the risk. If McGahee has even another moderate injury, it will likely make him nowhere near a RB that can compete for the NFL's best. If Henry becomes such a RB, then why trade him!

I realize that this season has yet to bear itself out, but I think these are valid concerns.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Pride
    • Jul 2002

I am with you!!! I have been saying this since Saturday. I just dont like the pick!

Not only for the reasons you spoke of, but there is a whole mental thing when you are looking over your shoulder all season waiting for that Number 1 draft pick to be "tested"

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

I agree but lets hope it doesn't go down like that!

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

I am just hoping that we are hanging on to McGahee, keep up the rehab, test him during training camp, and show to the league, maybe in preseason, what he can do.

Then trade his butt to a team that realizes they dont have a franchise back this season for their next 2 #1 draft picks.

Too good to be true?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

"I am with you!!! I have been saying this since Saturday. I just dont like the pick!"

Thats fine pride but who would you have picked at that point?

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

I think Henry will push to be the best that he can be. Not in a years time , 2 years time but now. The bills are hoping for him to run us to the SB.

It's obvious we are looking to run the ball this season and pinning huge hopes on Henry's shoulders. If indeed this move get's to Henry's head, hopefully it will be a positive one that could be a good one for us.

I think TD is sending Henry a message, we're banking on you and we're not joking about it. Prove to us you are a franchise RB who can carry this team all the way to the SB.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Dman
              Wagon Master
              • Jul 2002

Don't get me wrong...I think that Henry is a good back..that may or may not have some great years ahead of him...but this 3 yards and a cloud of dust and 20+ carries thing can and does get monotinous and dangerous especially to a back that has trouble holding on to the ball.
              But....when you have a back like McGahee sitting at the doorstep waiting to come in..you take him in..this guy is in the mold of OJ, Dickerson and Barry Sanders. Every time he touches the ball he has that gamebreaking ability. I sit and think about a 2nd and 3 from our own 15 and ...BOOM...there he goes...85 yds...TD..
              those guys are few and far between.

In my opinion this is a win/win situation..if WM doesn't pan out we still have Henry and if he does flourish then we have options for Henry..and if either of these guys can't cope with the heat of competition for this position..then they don't belong in this league.

Plus..I still think that NE had him targeted with the 4th pick in the second round...and if he does come around..I'm thankful that we don't have to face him 2 times a year.

But..I could be wrong
              "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???"

Comment

• HenryRules
                • Jul 2002

I think McGahee has the most potential at RB since Bo Jackson. No one since then has had the power and speed that Bo provided. McGahee also has the commitment to stick to one sport. He could really be something special.

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

I would have traded down in the draft and picked up 2 #2's and a later round pick.

That, or trade for a good FS/WR and picks

Comment

• HenryRules
                    • Jul 2002

Pride, who would you have made those trades with? No one wanted to move up.

Comment

• lordofgun
                      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Henry could blow his knee out right after we trade him too. There's always a risk in every move.

Hopefully this surgery has been extremely successful. Is it any wonder that the 4th ligament (which WM previously tore in high school) was the only one that didn't snap? Sometimes with good surgery, repair job is stronger than the original.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• TedMock
                        • Jul 2002

These are valid concerns and yes, I've thought about them as well. The thing is there was no 1st round DE talent left. If Kelsay had been taken before we got to him then there was Corey Redding and Rien Long still out there. There were no FS's worth taking at that pick either and I don't think you go with a TE at that spot. The only guy left would be William Joseph, DT Miami, whom I thought we'd take. McGahee is a gamble but not a stupid pick by any means. We did sign a few new starters on defense and they seem to be high on Bannon and Edwards as backups. There's also June 1 cuts and we're going to have about $4mil at that point. Even if McGahee only ends up marginally better, it's still better which never hurts. I personally think that IF he comes back he'll be amazing. If we're lucky Henry has another great year less the fumbles and we trade him for a player of equal value or 1st round picks. As a professional RB if he is negatively affected mentally because of the pick then frankly I don't want him here. Competitors thrive on this sort of thing and I think Henry has that characteristic. He's a tough guy physically and mentally. I like Henry a lot and would be happy with him here too. Either way we're in a good situation if WM heals properly.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

wys.. you hated henry just last season, and thought that bryson was the bomb.. you could/will change your opinion on McGahee too as soon as he has his first good game..

and if Wm doesnt have a good game.. then henry will continue to be the starter..
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

It has to happen 1st. I am not worried at all. Go Bills!

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

Games are won and lost in the trenches. That's where we should have concentrated. We don't need a glory-boy.....I also think TD got caught up with all the accolades he has been receiving.

Comment

Working...
                              X