PDA

View Full Version : Could We See Some Lineup Changes Coming Out Of The Bye Week ?

Night Train
10-06-2008, 05:33 AM
I fully realize The Bills are 4-1 but a few positions could use a switch in the depth chart.

1. Preston replacing Fowler - Preston looked terrible (footwork) in his attempt to play Guard but he played Center for 4 years at Illinois. He is FAR bigger/stronger than Fowler. A priority in next springs draft.

2. Whittle replacing Butler - Butler gets faked out of his shoes far too often and isn't helping Fowler inside at all. Just look at the pressure up the middle and the lack of a pocket on many plays. Another priority in next springs draft.

3. Schouman replacing Royal - Every 4-5 games, he'll catch a couple TD's and fool us into thinking he's OK but the bobbles, fumbles and ability to get open consistently doesn't help the QB.

4. Spencer/McCargo getting more reps at Williams expense - Williams still takes bad angles inside against the run which results in him being pushed sideways with ease. The result is a huge hole up the middle for many RB's.

Players that should start seeing some reps. Chris Ellis & Steve Johnson.

Players that should start seeing far more reps. Hardy & McKelvin.
Hardy made 2-3 nice catches yesterday, showing he may be slowly coming around. McKelvin won't become a better CB sitting and Greers' contract is running out at a position where we have lots of bodies.

dannyek71
10-06-2008, 05:54 AM
I fully realize The Bills are 4-1 but a few positions could use a switch in the depth chart.

1. Preston replacing Fowler - Preston looked terrible (footwork) in his attempt to play Guard but he played Center for 4 years at Illinois. He is FAR bigger/stronger than Fowler. A priority in next springs draft.

2. Whittle replacing Butler - Butler gets faked out of his shoes far too often and isn't helping Fowler inside at all. Just look at the pressure up the middle and the lack of a pocket on many plays. Another priority in next springs draft.

3. Schouman replacing Royal - Every 4-5 games, he'll catch a couple TD's and fool us into thinking he's OK but the bobbles, fumbles and ability to get open consistently doesn't help the QB.

4. Spencer/McCargo getting more reps at Williams expense - Williams still takes bad angles inside against the run which results in him being pushed sideways with ease. The result is a huge hole up the middle for many RB's.

Hardy made 2-3 nice catches yesterday, showing he may be slowly coming around. McKelvin won't become a better CB sitting and Greers' contract is running out at a position where we have lots of bodies.

1) You already said Preston has looked nothing but terrible. Why play him?

2) Ok, so what has Whittle shown to say that he could be better than Butler?

3) What has Shouman shown us?

4) Maybe I imaged a couple nice tackles for loss/short or no game by Wiliams yesterday and in previous weeks?

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2008, 05:59 AM
Why would they make wholesale line-up changes on a team that is 4-1? What is so great about Steve Johnson? Kyle Williams, except for yesterday, was in consideration for 2nd best player on defense.

The only one that makes some sense is Preston in for Fowler. Other than that it is a post of over-reaction.

Night Train
10-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Why would they make wholesale line-up changes on a team that is 4-1? What is so great about Steve Johnson? Kyle Williams, except for yesterday, was in consideration for 2nd best player on defense.

The only one that makes some sense is Preston in for Fowler. Other than that it is a post of over-reaction.
It's a post of watching the positions closely from the stands over a period of time.

There is no emotional reaction to one bad game in this. Just an opinion.

X-Era
10-06-2008, 06:04 AM

1) No

2) No

3) Yes

4) No

:2cents:

X-Era
10-06-2008, 06:10 AM

:clap:

I don't know why people are still down on Kyle Williams, hes one of our most consistent performer on D, a lunch pail type, and one of our best D-lineman second only to Stroud.

I look at this differently.

If players arent playing up to snuff after we extended them, we should ride them hard to play better, not replace them.

I feel like we need to add DT back into the mix of needs. McCargo is useless. Id love to land Senderrick Marks (auburn). :drool:

Truth be known, I dont feel we got gashed on the ground as much as we did the air. And that the Crads just took advatntage of our weak spot, the seem.

jamze132
10-06-2008, 06:46 AM
I would love to see someone other than Fowler in the middle of the O-line.

I would also like to see Ellis dress and start to get into the rotation to keep Schobel fresh. Schobel is obviously much better in the 1st half of the game.

I don't see a need for Steve Johnson at this point. Parish will be back after the bye week, I believe.

Whittle? No.

Historian
10-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Why would they make wholesale line-up changes on a team that is 4-1?

I agree.

I think everyone is thrown, not by the loss, but by how they lost.

This was a total team failure.

Just keep in mind that it was a loss to a team that had been embarrassed the week before, so they were playing for pride more than anything else, and it showed.

Traditionally, the Bills don't do well on trips out west either, even though they had not lost to the Cardinals since they were in St. Louis. (1984)

If they come flat out of the Bye week and stink it up against the Chargers, or god forbid the hapless fish, then maybe it would be time to panic, but right now I say go back to fundamentals and work on blocking and tackling.

RedEyE
10-06-2008, 07:03 AM
I don't think that the Bills are going to change their lineup because of one game. It worked well in 4 others. Jauron isn't going to panic and move the roster around. The players need to do more to execute, plain and simple.

Beside, this game has a different outcome with Edwards, McGee, Parrish and Simpson playing.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
10-06-2008, 07:12 AM
What concerns me most was not any individual performance, but the team being flat from the kickoff.

This has become a theme for this team, and it is potentially the biggest detriment to season long success.

DraftBoy
10-06-2008, 07:27 AM
1. I dont know that its an improvement...
2. See #1, but if I had my way we would of taken an OG early last draft to push Butler but I was ridiculed by many posters about actually wanting to work to improve the OG position, my mistake obviously...
3. Schouman has shown nothing, just like the rest of our TE's so see #1.
4. I disagree, Williams has looked good and so has Johnson but McCargo hasn't why should he get more reps?

Ellis has even dressed, yet he deserves more time? For what reason?? Same with Steve Johnson, one catch does not mean he should see more time either.

Change for the sake of change is not a good idea, if we were 1-4 instead of 4-1 then your ideas make more sense, but the fact is that you are advocating completely messing with this team that won 4 straight games and these changes could result in multiple losses and losing the season.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Butler has regressed this year (except for Seattle where he played great).

As a Butler supporter I am disappointed in him.

FinFaninBuffalo
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
god forbid the hapless fish

I hope the Bills think they are hapless.....

patmoran2006
10-06-2008, 08:27 AM
There wont be any changes on the OL, barring injury.

Michael82
10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
And that's a shame. Fowler is by far our weak link and when Preston did get a chance this year in TC and Pre-season, he did a nice job at OC.

Michael82
10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
And that's a shame. Fowler is by far our weak link and when Preston did get a chance this year in TC and Pre-season, he did a nice job at OC.

Michael82
10-06-2008, 10:04 AM

justasportsfan
10-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Move Digi to Ellisons position

Michael82
10-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Move Digi to Ellisons position
I could definitely go for that one. Ellison SUCKS!