PDA

View Full Version : The 5-0 Bills go on the road and get slaughtered

Bufftp
10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
and get slaughtered by the KC Chiefs, 33-6 1991. Jimbo sacke 6 times.
later in the year in the divisional round we beat KC at home 37-14.

It's a long year. Relax.

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 10:28 AM
well it's not like we played all that well in the games we won (except the Seattle game). There are a lot of reasons for concern.

RockStar36
10-06-2008, 10:30 AM
well it's not like we played all that well in the games we won (except the Seattle game). There are a lot of reasons for concern.

I'm pretty calm. It's the first loss of the season, I saw it coming (unlike others who wanted to argue with me) and the Sabres start on Friday night.

blackonyx89
10-06-2008, 10:32 AM
and get slaughtered by the KC Chiefs, 33-6 1991. Jimbo sacke 6 times.
later in the year in the divisional round we beat KC at home 37-14.

It's a long year. Relax.

History repeating itself!

hydro
10-06-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty calm. It's the first loss of the season, I saw it coming (unlike others who wanted to argue with me) and the Sabres start on Friday night.

Can't wait for the sabres to start!

Ebenezer
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
logical loss....it was out of conference, move on.

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM

why?

The team was humiliated and exposed.

In the grand scheme of things, this loss isn't a big deal. But what this loss showed about our team and showed other teams is going to haunt us for the rest of this season.

mybills
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Exactly! We needed to get the ugly loss out of the way. It's full steam ahead from now on. Just like the 90's Bills. :up:

Ebenezer
10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
why?

In the grand scheme of things, this loss isn't a big deal. But what this loss showed about our team and showed other teams is going to haunt us for the rest of this season.
exposed in what way??

1. That a team with a QB used to 3 or fewer step drops with big WRs can make quick passes? :check:

2. That losing McGee is a huge setback against teams with three quality receivers? :check:

3. That losing TE on the fourth play of the game makes for a long day when the other team is determined to blitz over 40% of the time? :check:

4. That once bad things start happening the wheels just naturally fall off? :check:

5. That playing back to back road games against non-conference foes in different timezones can test your meddle? :check:

6. That Melvin Fowler is great at line calls but sucks at blocking? :check:

7. That sometimes good teams lose bad games on the road? :check:

8. That only two teams since 1940 have gone undefeated in the regular season? :check:

9. That losing your best PR and KR men will be detrimental to your field position and special teams? :check:

10. That Op will overfreak and break both ankles jumping? :check:

What did we learn new this week? Not much if you ask me.

Take the bye and get ready to come out against SD. No reason to get as low after this as there was to get high after the first four.

blackonyx89
10-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Exactly! We needed to get the ugly loss out of the way. It's full steam ahead from now on. Just like the 90's Bills. :up:

Let's hope they don't have a meltdown if they make it to SB if they make it back there.

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 10:53 AM
exposed in what way??

1. That a team with a QB used to 3 or fewer step drops with big WRs can make quick passes? :check:

2. That losing McGee is a huge setback against teams with three quality receivers? :check:

3. That losing TE on the fourth play of the game makes for a long day when the other team is determined to blitz over 40% of the time? :check:

4. That once bad things start happening the wheels just naturally fall off? :check:

5. That playing back to back road games against non-conference foes in different timezones can test your meddle? :check:

6. That Melvin Fowler is great at line calls but sucks at blocking? :check:

7. That sometimes good teams lose bad games on the road? :check:

8. That only two teams since 1940 have gone undefeated in the regular season? :check:

9. That most fans have a relative grasp on the meaning of the game? :check:

10. That Op will overfreak and break both ankles jumping? :check:

What did we learn new this week? Not much if you ask me.

Take the bye and get ready to come out against SD. No reason to get as low after this as there was to get high after the first four.

In case you didn't notice, New England (you know, that team we have to beat to win the division) runs quick slants and has big receivers. In case you didn't notice, Melvin Fowler sucks almost every week and will continue to suck in two weeks when we play again. In case you didn't notice, this was an opponent that had back to back HORRIBLE performances and just isn't that good. In case you didn't notice, we lost the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's why it wasn't even close.

So, the overall meaning of this game is downright scary. All the problems that showed themselves in our wins manifested themselves again and we weren't able to overcome them. This team has some SERIOUS flaws. No one wanted to pay attention because we were winning anyway. Yesterday was a dose of reality but you're choosing to remain in denial.

Night Train
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
This roster isn't half as good as that 1991 roster.

Mitchy moo
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
This roster isn't half as good as that 1991 roster.

That roster also had multiple years together of growing up, so if you look back at the late 80's teams you'll see just about where we are at now.

Griff
10-06-2008, 11:27 AM
considering we have the same record I thought we would have at this point in the season, just beating and losing to different opponents, I'm okay with this loss. I thought we would win, at least keep it close but when number 5 went down I knew the game was over before our defense even stunk up the field.

Patrick76777
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
It’s no surprise that Op is freaking out. That’s what he does. But whatever.

We ran into the perfect storm yesterday.

Arizona had lost 2 road games in a row, one late and the other in an embarrassing fashion. They were coming home to play a game that they HAD to win. And they played like it. We got their absolute best yesterday.

You can only move forward.

Did they expose some things? Sure they did. But in the same respect the Jets exposed a lot about them the week before. It doesn’t mean they were doomed. They went home, made some changes, worked on some things and looked great. I expect us to do the same thing.

The new love for Power Rankings makes too many people think that this is college football and one loss is damning. But it’s just not. We could conceivably lose 4 more games (7-4) and still win the division. Long way to go baby.

And the best part. Road games against the NFC carry the least amount of weight when it comes to tie-breakers. If you’re going to lose a game, do it on the road against an NFC team and not at home against a division team.

mybills
10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
:bf1: Well said, Patrick!

Mr. Pink
10-06-2008, 01:11 PM
why?

It's logical because number 7 was behind center.

I fully expected an L once he started playing, I mean, didn't everyone?

Patrick76777
10-06-2008, 01:15 PM

I did. He came out and I said, "Game over".

Dude suprised me for the first half, but the second half was all him.

Every JP game.

1 delay of game
1 fumble
1 pick
1 50+ yard TD
and a bunch of "GET RID OF THE BALL" sacks.

Cntrygal
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
History better not repeat itself. :mad:

I'm going to the KC game. The only slaughter I want to see is Buffalo tromping all over the Chiefs!!!!

**and of course, over every other team the Bills play :D

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM

True, but I can't put this one entirely on Losman. The OL sucked. The entire D sucked.

That's not to make excuses for him. He played like he always has- sloppy with the ball, no internal clock, etc. But he would have had to be perfect to win that cluster****. I bet we would have gotten killed even if Edwards played.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
True, but I can't put this one entirely on Losman. The OL sucked. The entire D sucked.

That's not to make excuses for him. He played like he always has- sloppy with the ball, no internal clock, etc. But he would have had to be perfect to win that cluster****. I bet we would have gotten killed even if Edwards played.

Nah not killed...without JP's turnovers the game's 20-17 Arizona. JP simply pissed the game away. Reminded me of the Jags game last year.

Do we win with Edwards? I dunno. But we sure as hell don't lose by 24.

The only worry I have about the rest of this season is if Trent can stay healthy.

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Nah not killed...without JP's turnovers the game's 20-17 Arizona. JP simply pissed the game away. Reminded me of the Jags game last year.

Do we win with Edwards? I dunno. But we sure as hell don't lose by 24.

The only worry I have about the rest of this season is if Trent can stay healthy.

With Fowler and Butler sucking up the joint, that's a big "if"

Patrick76777
10-06-2008, 01:27 PM

Honest question Op.

I tend to put a lot of stock into momentum and other human emotions playing into a football game.

In my opinion, I could almost see the whole team deflate after the Edwards injury. Now I’m not arguing whether or not good or great teams would let something like that happen, only that I think it can and does happen. Edwards had us to about midfield in a few plays when he went down. Then they went from a spread shotgun formation to max protect with JP under center. 2 plays later fumble, a few minutes later it’s 14-0.

And look at NE week one, they should have beat KC by 100 points. But Brady goes down early and it took a last second defensive stand to hold off KC. And this is supposed to be one of the most mentally tough teams in the history of the league.

Do you put any stock do you put into the fact that a big QB injury can affect the mental state of a team and change the outcome of a game?

Again, I’m just asking, trying not to be confrontational, I’m actually agreeing with you more and more these days.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2008, 01:28 PM
With Fowler and Butler sucking up the joint, that's a big "if"

They honestly looked no different yesterday than the first three weeks though.

Historian
10-06-2008, 01:31 PM
That roster also had multiple years together of growing up, so if you look back at the late 80's teams you'll see just about where we are at now.

Correct.

We're in 1988.

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Honest question Op.

I tend to put a lot of stock into momentum and other human emotions playing into a football game.

In my opinion, I could almost see the whole team deflate after the Edwards injury. Now I’m not arguing whether or not good or great teams would let something like that happen, only that I think it can and does happen. Edwards had us to about midfield in a few plays when he went down. Then they went from a spread shotgun formation to max protect with JP under center. 2 plays later fumble, a few minutes later it’s 14-0.

And look at NE week one, they should have beat KC by 100 points. But Brady goes down early and it took a last second defensive stand to hold off KC. And this is supposed to be one of the most mentally tough teams in the history of the league.

Do you put any stock do you put into the fact that a big QB injury can affect the mental state of a team and change the outcome of a game?

Again, I’m just asking, trying not to be confrontational, I’m actually agreeing with you more and more these days.

Could it change the outcome? Sure. Could it change it by a 24 point blowout? I doubt it. The biggest problem yesterday was the D being completely outclassed. If anything, when Edwards went down, the D should have known they had to do more and rose to the occasion, but the exact opposite happened.

Last year, after Taylor's death, it was clear that the Redskins were flat and we barely beat them- if they were in the right mental state, they probably could have pulled that game out. But in a game like this, it just wasn't even close. I don't think the mental stress of losing Edwards early was so profound that it allowed them to completely dominate us. They're just a better team, or at least they were yesterday.

Ebenezer
10-06-2008, 04:54 PM
In case you didn't notice, New England (you know, that team we have to beat to win the division) runs quick slants and has big receivers. In case you didn't notice, Melvin Fowler sucks almost every week and will continue to suck in two weeks when we play again. In case you didn't notice, this was an opponent that had back to back HORRIBLE performances and just isn't that good. In case you didn't notice, we lost the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's why it wasn't even close.

So, the overall meaning of this game is downright scary. All the problems that showed themselves in our wins manifested themselves again and we weren't able to overcome them. This team has some SERIOUS flaws. No one wanted to pay attention because we were winning anyway. Yesterday was a dose of reality but you're choosing to remain in denial.

(((In a zombie like trance)))

This team is God. They never do anything wrong. I believe everything they ever say hook, line and sinker because I am just an idiot who sees only the good in everything the front office ever does. I willingly turn all my money over to the team because I am a brainless moron who only lives to serve and worship everything about the Bills.....

so much for at least enjoying the 4-1 start a little bit....

trapezeus
10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
why?

your assuming that the bills don't go back and fix these issues. i think the defense comes back. they stopped the cardinals, just not on 3rd down...ever. They get a couple better tackles and don't sit on the field the entire game with a dead offense, and they had a chance.

I think the offense got dumbed down for our backup. It looked like we were going to run and gun with quick passes, then losman came in and we went right to the run. and then abandoned it when it was down 14 points. i think we write this one off and see how it responds to the chargers.