Clear All
  • syracuse76
    Knowing is half the battle......
    • Aug 2008

EDWARDS SEEMS TO BE FINE

For what it's worth

Today
    Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 11:03 AM ET | Link

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: By no means is this meant to influence anyone's hopes with respect to Trent Edwards concussion, but after the game Trent was smiling and conversing with family members that attended the game before boarding the team bus for the airport, and posed for a few pictures.
    Obviously, if he was in bad shape he would not have been doing that. But let's wait to hear from coach Jauron because speculating about the severity of his injury doesn't really serve a purpose.
    I'm just trying to give fans an idea on what he was capable of a few hours after suffering the injury, not whether they should be encouraged or discouraged. So take it for what it's worth.
    ---

Concussion grading scales

Today
    Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:10 AM ET | Link

CONCUSSION GRADING SCALES: There are a number of concussion grading scales out there, but medical consensus does not exist as to which is best. The three most widely used scales are those of the American Academy of Neurology, the Colorado Medical Society and the one developed by Dr. Robert Cantu.
    As far as the Bills are concerned they don't grade concussions. They simply label Trent Edwards' injury, for example, as a concussion, and follow their own standards with respect to symptoms and treatment.
    The three most widely used scales mentioned above don't vary all that much so simply for reference here is the American Academy of Neurology's grading scale.
    Grade 1 - Confusion, symptoms last less than 15 minutes, no loss of consciousness
    Recommendation - remove from contest, examine immediately and at 5-minute intervals.
    Grade 2 - Symptoms last more than 15 minutes, no loss of consciousness
    Recommendation - remove from contest for remainder of day, examine on site often, examine the next day by a doctor.
    Grade 3 - Any loss of consciousness, brief or prolonged
    Recommendation - transport athlete to nearest emergency department if still unconscious, have a thorough neurologic exam.
    Naturally professional athletes that suffer any kind of concussion are monitored closely by training staffs and examined daily and likely to be run through a battery of tests, which will be measured against a baseline test taken prior to the season to determine if there is any difference in brain function. An MRI is likely as well.
    As far as returning to action on the field is concerned, each case is different with respect to recovery.
    ---

Update on Edwards late this afternoon

Today
    Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:44 AM ET | Link

EDWARDS UPDATE LATE THIS AFTERNOON: Due to the long flight back last night, head coach Dick Jauron won't have his Monday wrapup press conference until approximately 3pm.
    He usually speaks closer to 12:30 or 1pm, so an update on Trent Edwards condition will be provided a bit later in the afternoon. We'll have full coverage on the home page and alert you via v-text as soon as the news comes down.
    2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
    POZ will lead us to the promise land
    "That which does not kill me,
    will only make me stronger"
    Nietzsche

• syracuse76
    Knowing is half the battle......
    • Aug 2008

Re: EDWARDS SEEMS TO BE FINE

just some news in case everyone was wondering. sorry if this was already posted
    2009 AFC East Division Champs 12-4
    POZ will lead us to the promise land
    "That which does not kill me,
    will only make me stronger"
    Nietzsche

Comment

• blackonyx89
      HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by syracuse76
      For what it's worth

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 11:03 AM ET | Link

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: By no means is this meant to influence anyone's hopes with respect to Trent Edwards concussion, but after the game Trent was smiling and conversing with family members that attended the game before boarding the team bus for the airport, and posed for a few pictures.
      Obviously, if he was in bad shape he would not have been doing that. But let's wait to hear from coach Jauron because speculating about the severity of his injury doesn't really serve a purpose.
      I'm just trying to give fans an idea on what he was capable of a few hours after suffering the injury, not whether they should be encouraged or discouraged. So take it for what it's worth.
      ---

Concussion grading scales

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 10:10 AM ET | Link

CONCUSSION GRADING SCALES: There are a number of concussion grading scales out there, but medical consensus does not exist as to which is best. The three most widely used scales are those of the American Academy of Neurology, the Colorado Medical Society and the one developed by Dr. Robert Cantu.
      As far as the Bills are concerned they don't grade concussions. They simply label Trent Edwards' injury, for example, as a concussion, and follow their own standards with respect to symptoms and treatment.
      The three most widely used scales mentioned above don't vary all that much so simply for reference here is the American Academy of Neurology's grading scale.
      Grade 1 - Confusion, symptoms last less than 15 minutes, no loss of consciousness
      Recommendation - remove from contest, examine immediately and at 5-minute intervals.
      Grade 2 - Symptoms last more than 15 minutes, no loss of consciousness
      Recommendation - remove from contest for remainder of day, examine on site often, examine the next day by a doctor.
      Grade 3 - Any loss of consciousness, brief or prolonged
      Recommendation - transport athlete to nearest emergency department if still unconscious, have a thorough neurologic exam.
      Naturally professional athletes that suffer any kind of concussion are monitored closely by training staffs and examined daily and likely to be run through a battery of tests, which will be measured against a baseline test taken prior to the season to determine if there is any difference in brain function. An MRI is likely as well.
      As far as returning to action on the field is concerned, each case is different with respect to recovery.
      ---

Update on Edwards late this afternoon

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:44 AM ET | Link

EDWARDS UPDATE LATE THIS AFTERNOON: Due to the long flight back last night, head coach Dick Jauron won't have his Monday wrapup press conference until approximately 3pm.
      He usually speaks closer to 12:30 or 1pm, so an update on Trent Edwards condition will be provided a bit later in the afternoon. We'll have full coverage on the home page and alert you via v-text as soon as the news comes down.

Thank God! Get him back in there because J.P. is a train wreck!
      Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

he will play against SD...lock it in.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

Sounds like he should be fine by the SD game. We'll have Roscoe & McGee back by then, as well. I'm not worried.
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

SD will test him early. Expect a Safety blitz on the first Bills offensive series.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

I'm pretty sure that if the concussion was serious, they wouldn't allow him to fly back to Buffalo. I could be wrong, but I don't think doctors recommend flying with serious concussions, do they? Maybe I'm talking out of my ass, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

I agree, F_L.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• cocamide
                  • Oct 2006

Edwards just wanted to finally put an end to the JP/Edwards debate.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

I think the concussion was that of a boxer getting punched in the chin and getting knocked out.
                    Last edited by justasportsfan; 10-06-2008, 12:05 PM.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Is it possible that Edwards got knocked out, but didn't suffer a concussion?

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

Unfortunately, F_L is right this time. Dudes with serious concussions usually don't fly. Case in point, Ryan Church from the New York Mets, recieved a couple of concussions this past season. He complained of headaches at 30,000ft. So they refused to let him travel with the team until the symptoms went away. He missed pretty much half of the season with "concussion related symptoms".

I have have been clocked a couple times upside my head during football, bar fights, barracks rumbles, etc., and they do not feel good and sometimes can take some time to get over.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

If he flew to Buffalo already, that is a very good sign.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Flying is a good sign. Bad concussions are usually left off planes due to the pressurization and the inability to get emergency care if needed.

BTW mybills, what are you basing the returns of Roscoe and McGee on? Both might still be out.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I do want to state though that this does not mean Edwards will play v. San Diego and I dont expect Jauron to say anything like that. Also Im not trying to be a downer at all, its no secret Im not in love with Trent like some fans here but Im just trying to stay open to the possibility that this team may not have him for a few weeks, BUT I do not want that to be the case. I want him back asap, but I want him back 100% healthy.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X