PDA

View Full Version : The Edwards Hit Play

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I think we all agree the following:

1. Edwards saw Wilson came.
2. He's just biting for enough time to get the ball to his hot receiver - in this case Hardy.

So there is nothing wrong there. It's a pretty standard QB play.

But I think he still needs to learn something there.

1. Adrian Wilson is about as good as they come in SS. So maybe he should not allow himself to be hit like that unprotected at all.
2. Royal lined up on that side outside of Walker. Maybe he should ask Royal to pick Wilson up instead of going out full speed?
3. Step forward trying to avoid the rush first - I think if it were Losman, that's what he'd do in that situation.

Personally, I'd like Royal bumping on Wilson on his way out. After all it's a hot read so he could just go to the spot where Wilson is before the play.

On a more deeper level, I think both Butler and Walker picked up the same guy on that play. It must be something messed up. Walker could just peel back and push Wilson side ways. But then again, Royal is on his right so he may think the blitzing SS is taken care of.

I know McNally was the one figuring out blocking scheme on a game by game basis last year, preparing for all possibilities. Do you guys think we may be missing something else since his retirement?

RedEyE
10-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Stepping into the pocket would have resulted in a sack as Wilson had the angle on him and was moving fast. He made the best play possible and moved his team forward. This has to be picked up in blocking, IMO.

Forward_Lateral
10-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Either way, he's going to get creamed. The only possible thing he could've done is eaten the football and dive out of the way, which would've been ridiculous.

justasportsfan
10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
What should Trent learn from this?

Keep your chin down and fix the OL.

Forward_Lateral
10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
What should Trent learn from this?

Keep your chin down and fix the OL.

Get a bigger helmet.

Dujek
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Edwards did exactly the right thing, it just had an unfortunate outcome. You complete the pass and take the hit, and hope you can get up to give the oline the bollocking they deserve.

TheBrownBear
10-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Duck and cover!!!

I know that sounds ridiculous, but a veteran qb knows when to take the sack and protect yourself from a devastating hit. You stand in there and take that hit if you absolutely must hit the play (end of game or big situations). Otherwise, it is prudent for the qb to save himself. And I think this should only apply to the quarterback since he is the one player that is irreplaceable (well, if he's any good).

Tatonka
10-06-2008, 11:08 AM
brett farve would have done the chuck and duck and it would have been completed for a 70 yard td after it bounced off of 2 defenders hands first.

guy
10-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I think we all agree the following:

1. Edwards saw Wilson came.
2. He's just biting for enough time to get the ball to his hot receiver - in this case Hardy.

So there is nothing wrong there. It's a pretty standard QB play.

But I think he still needs to learn something there.

1. Adrian Wilson is about as good as they come in SS. So maybe he should not allow himself to be hit like that unprotected at all.
2. Royal lined up on that side outside of Walker. Maybe he should ask Royal to pick Wilson up instead of going out full speed?
3. Step forward trying to avoid the rush first - I think if it were Losman, that's what he'd do in that situation.

Personally, I'd like Royal bumping on Wilson on his way out. After all it's a hot read so he could just go to the spot where Wilson is before the play.

On a more deeper level, I think both Butler and Walker picked up the same guy on that play. It must be something messed up. Walker could just peel back and push Wilson side ways. But then again, Royal is on his right so he may think the blitzing SS is taken care of.

I know McNally was the one figuring out blocking scheme on a game by game basis last year, preparing for all possibilities. Do you guys think we may be missing something else since his retirement?

he did what a good qb is supposed to do , MAKE THE PLAY, something losman will never figure out!

Philagape
10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
He got hammered on the TD pass to Parrish against Oakland too. The downside of poise is that sometimes you put your body in harm's way. It's the job of the line and other blockers to protect the QB so can do that and make the play.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
he did what a good qb is supposed to do , MAKE THE PLAY, something losman will never figure out!

I probably have given Losman more than my fair share of criticism in the past, but I'd say you are wrong on this account. Plenty of time in the past I've seen Losman hang-in there throw a bomb and take a hit. In fact I think Edwards may have picked that part - waiting a bit longer for the play to develop for bigger plays - from him.

The problem, as evident yesterday, is that Losman is simply too slow to read the play. After watching Edwards for awhile and then back to Losman, I saw that as clear as day light.

Mitchy moo
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
The problem, as evident yesterday, is that Losman is simply too slow to read the play. After watching Edwards for awhile and then back to Losman, I saw that as clear as day light.

Trent looks like he's been playing QB for 5 years in the NFL.

Mad Bomber
10-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Get a bigger helmet.
He needs a gazoo helmet like Kelso used to wear.
http://machinedesign.com/Content/Site305/Articles/11_21_2007/71739headgear3j_00000049672.jpg

Ingtar33
10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Trent looks like he's been playing QB for 5 years in the NFL.

yes he does

Trent did the right thing.
the 100% right thing.
it was 3rd down, and we needed the first. he got us the 1st by sacrificing his body.
That man has the stones of a leader.

Ronald Hinckleberry
10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Trent is a porcelyn ragdoll, at least Losman can take a hit despite his homeless demeanor.