PDA

View Full Version : Why can't teams stop the Wildcat formation?

Michael82
10-06-2008, 01:36 PM
It's a freaking college play. It's pretty damn obvious what the Dolphins are going to do when they set up in that formation. So why the hell is it working? Against the Patriots, Miami used the play about 6 times. Yesterday, they used it 11 times. :shocked: I don't understand why it's working so well. At the very least, if you want to get the Dolphins to cut it out....put your big, tough LB or DB lined up against the QB. Rough Pennington up, it's legal. Hit him hard within the cushion and make sure he knows that he's fair game. Then maybe the team will stop doing it continuously.

Static
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Someone will eventually stop it, but until then...Enjoy. :wave:

OpIv37
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I think the problem is the potential for trick plays- end arounds, reverses, options, lateral to the QB for a dowfield pass, etc.

The D doesn't know what to expect so they're back on their heals from the very beginning.

The more they use it, the more the D will get used to the look and be prepared for it.

finfan34
10-06-2008, 03:55 PM
its not a play they can do 30 times a game, but i think it will be a play they can do 5-10 time a game. there are a few reasons why they are succeding

1) the wrinkles, there are so many things they can do with that play to keep it honest

2) personal, say what you want, but miami has two excellent runnings backs, also, jake long moves over to the right side and can play there too

this play worked on two of the stronger defenses, teams will learn to play it better. but its no fluke that its worked

LtFinFan66
10-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Most times, Pennington just stands there. Sparano basically told him to get the hell out of harms way

Bling
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Rough Pennington up when he's being a decoy, and see what happens to your QB. I can't believe people were whinning about Edwards getting ****ed up while passing, but they want to lay out a dummie?

Bling
10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
To counteract it, I would blitz the outside and have a LB wait for Brown to decide. If they hand it off to Pennington, the blitz from the outside will get to him before he can decide who he wants to throw to.

LtFinFan66
10-06-2008, 09:32 PM
To counteract it, I would blitz the outside and have a LB wait for Brown to decide. If they hand it off to Pennington, the blitz from the outside will get to him before he can decide who he wants to throw to.Hand it to pennington? :wtf:

He is nowhere near to get handed the ball

Bling
10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Hand it to pennington? :wtf:

He is nowhere near to get handed the ball

I'm well aware of that. I'm saying that eventually there's going to be an added element to the player where Chad gets the ball. Why else would he be on the field instead of a big physical WR?

LtFinFan66
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
NO WAY Pennington ever runs the ball in that formation. I can see a pass to him though

LtFinFan66
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm well aware of that. I'm saying that eventually there's going to be an added element to the player where Chad gets the ball. Why else would he be on the field instead of a big physical WR?Because if Pennington isn't in the huddle, the defense KNOWS what's coming and can swap people to their advantage

Bling
10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
NO WAY Pennington ever runs the ball in that formation. I can see a pass to him though

I must have some articulation problems today. I don't want Pennington running either. I want him passing.

Bling
10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Because if Pennington isn't in the huddle, the defense KNOWS what's coming and can swap people to their advantage

Good point.

Mike13
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
2 reasons:

1) This team just executes it exceptionally well

2) There are so many options and wrinkles involved, it causes the D to ovethink things.

BlackMetalNinja
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Rough Pennington up when he's being a decoy, and see what happens to your QB. I can't believe people were whinning about Edwards getting ****ed up while passing, but they want to lay out a dummie?Mikey is not the entire Bills fan base, in case you were curious.

Michael82
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Rough Pennington up when he's being a decoy, and see what happens to your QB. I can't believe people were whinning about Edwards getting ****ed up while passing, but they want to lay out a dummie?
I'm just saying....if you really want it to end, Pennington becomes fairgame if he's lined up at WR continuously. One of the things that will put an end to it, is if the opponent lines up against him with their big LB or safety and hits him hard at the line.

Patti120
10-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I think they should have Pennington get the ball on an end around, just to throw a new wrinkle in there.

dplus47
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm just saying....if you really want it to end, Pennington becomes fairgame if he's lined up at WR continuously. One of the things that will put an end to it, is if the opponent lines up against him with their big LB or safety and hits him hard at the line.

one problem with this strategy is this: do you really want to take a big hitter out of the box against ronnie? the direct snap already gives him an advantage, and putting somebody really physical outside to attempt to rough up chad would give him another advantage.

the phins could also have an eligible receiver at the end of the line (a TE like fasano), thus giving pennington the ability to line up behind the line of scrimmage, making it harder to "rough him up" at the snap AND taking your hard hitter out of the box.

dplus47
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
that said, the wildcat formation only averaged about 4 yards per play against the chargers. it is being overplayed by the networks as a reason for miami's success lately. it's a good formation and ronnie brown is a great guy to have receiving those snaps--because of his intelligence and athleticism--but it's not the team's bread and butter.

Bling
10-07-2008, 04:06 PM
that said, the wildcat formation only averaged about 4 yards per play against the chargers. it is being overplayed by the networks as a reason for miami's success lately. it's a good formation and ronnie brown is a great guy to have receiving those snaps--because of his intelligence and athleticism--but it's not the team's bread and butter.

Very overrated. Miami's success has to do a lot to their reemergence as a good team. They're no longer a pushover. I could see where we sweep the Bills. We'll at least split.

Night Train
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I think it's freakin' brilliant.

It destroyed the Pats on their own field. The Chargers D isn't all that great so I wasn't surprised there.

It can go in so many directions and sets off a confused fire drill on D.

HughC
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
As mentioned by several others in this thread, I'm really surprised that nobody has hit Pennington out of this formation. He turns and faces Brown as if he's waiting for a pass at the snap, I'm shocked nobody has laid him out yet. It's as if everybody on defense thinks they'll still get a roughing penalty called on him, even though Pennington's no longer a QB but is now a WR on a running play.

The other thing is that it didn't work as great on Sunday as some in the media would have you believe. Against New England it was used six times for 119 yards and four touchdowns, but against the Chargers it was used twelve times for 48 yards and one TD. I couldn't find the stats but I read somewhere that something like 8 or 9 of the plays from that formation went for two yards or less, so maybe teams are already figuring it out.

LtFinFan66
10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
As mentioned by several others in this thread, I'm really surprised that nobody has hit Pennington out of this formation. He turns and faces Brown as if he's waiting for a pass at the snap, I'm shocked nobody has laid him out yet. It's as if everybody on defense thinks they'll still get a roughing penalty called on him, even though Pennington's no longer a QB but is now a WR on a running play.

The other thing is that it didn't work as great on Sunday as some in the media would have you believe. Against New England it was used six times for 119 yards and four touchdowns, but against the Chargers it was used twelve times for 48 yards and one TD. I couldn't find the stats but I read somewhere that something like 8 or 9 of the plays from that formation went for two yards or less, so maybe teams are already figuring it out.I don't think that is correct but will have to review the games films and get back to you

gr8slayer
10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Honestly, I don't understand why teams are having so much trouble with it. It's really not all that complex.

LtFinFan66
10-07-2008, 10:06 PM

The other thing is that it didn't work as great on Sunday as some in the media would have you believe. Against New England it was used six times for 119 yards and four touchdowns, but against the Chargers it was used twelve times for 48 yards and one TD. I couldn't find the stats but I read somewhere that something like 8 or 9 of the plays from that formation went for two yards or less, so maybe teams are already figuring it out.

Versus New England (6 plays)

1. 2 yards, TD Ronnie
2. 28 yards Ricky
3. 3 yards, Ricky (fell down rounding corner)
4. 5 yards, TD Ronnie
5. 19 yard pass, TD thrown by Ronnie
6. 62 yards, TD Ronnie

versus SD (10 plays)

1. 2 yards- Ronnie
2. 1 Yard-Ricky
3. 12 yards- Ronnie
4. 1 yard Ronnie
5. 4 yards Ronnie
6. 9 yards Ronnie
7. 5 yards, TD Ronnie
8. 11 yards Ricky
9. No gain Ricky(was looking to pass to Pennington but pulled it down and ran)
10. 3 yards Ricky

So 5 were 2 yards or less but one was a TD so I don't count it so 4 is my number. Clearly it didn't work as good against SD but it still worked enough to gain some running yards

Mike13
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
used twelve times for 48 yards and one TD. I couldn't find the stats but I read somewhere that something like 8 or 9 of the plays from that formation went for two yards or less, so maybe teams are already figuring it out.

11 plays for 49 yards actually.

LtFinFan66
10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
11 plays for 49 yards actually.I went though the entire game both on TV and NFL.com play-by-play and only found 10 direct snaps

CuseJetsFan83
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
i'll give 1000 ZB's to the first person that can private message me as to why the dolphins call it the wildcat formation...... i'll give you a hint think central ny state

LtFinFan66
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I am not sure the Dolphins actually call it that. The media does

CuseJetsFan83
10-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I am not sure the Dolphins actually call it that. The media does

well since no one got the answer to me..... one of the offensive quality control coaches steve bush (qb coach/db coach at su a few years back, under pasqualoni) was a head coach for the west genesee wildcats here in syracuse.... they won the state championship in 2007 using this not so unique style of offensive play that used alot of direct snaps as well.

Bling
10-10-2008, 10:05 AM
well since no one got the answer to me..... one of the offensive quality control coaches steve bush (qb coach/db coach at su a few years back, under pasqualoni) was a head coach for the west genesee wildcats here in syracuse.... they won the state championship in 2007 using this not so unique style of offensive play that used alot of direct snaps as well.

The wildcat offense has been around longer than 2007.

Meathead
10-12-2008, 09:19 PM
i'll give 1000 ZB's to the first person that can private message me as to why the dolphins call it the wildcat formation...... i'll give you a hint think central ny state
because dolphelon coaches couldnt spell the subterfuge formation

Mike13
10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
because dolphelon

*Cough James Hardy, Cough Marshawn Lynch Cough*

Griff
10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
its all about tape, the more they use it the more tape will be gathered and the easier defenses will be able to react to it. Be thankful they were able to pull a fast one on teams that matter.

Pride
10-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Have a safety cover the QB and take his ass out... I bet the team doesn't run the wildcat formation the rest of the game!

Michael82
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Have a safety cover the QB and take his ass out... I bet the team doesn't run the wildcat formation the rest of the game!
I've been saying that.... :hi5:

njsue
10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
:squish: