PDA

View Full Version : An early look at 2009 UFA QBs

The Jokeman
10-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Don't get me wrong I like Trent Edwards but his inability to stay healthy is a slight concern so here's a list (I'm not sure how accurate it is) of 2009 courtesy of KFFL free agent QBs following this year.

QB Charlie Batch UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
QB Brock Berlin RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
QB Kyle Boller UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent
QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
QB Kerry Collins UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
QB Bruce Eugene RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Charlie Frye UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
QB Jeff Garcia UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Rex Grossman UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Gibran Hamdan UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
QB J.P. Losman UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
QB Luke McCown UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB J.T. O'Sullivan UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
QB Kyle Orton UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Patrick Ramsey UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
QB Kurt Warner UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent
QB Anthony Wright UFA New York Giants Free Agent

The list will likely change especially with Cassell, Collins, O'Sullivan, Orton and Warner all starting and possibly getting extensions before the year finishes. There aren't many options I like as some like Garcia and Batch looking retirement ready and of course there's always the lists disappointments like Grossman, Boller and Losman. All and all an ugly lot with Luke McCown being the best all around option. Thoughts?

hydro
10-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, not much to pick from there :down:

zone
10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Looks like a list of crap.

The fact is the hit Trent took yesterday would have put a hurting on most QB's. I think he did a good job of bulking up this year as he has taken some good shots and gotten up without injury. He was only concussed, it could have been a lot worse like a shoulder or knee.

Night Train
10-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Looks like a list of crap.

That's why they're called " Backups "

zone
10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I actually like Hamdan and I hope we hang on to him.

DraftBoy
10-06-2008, 06:26 PM
BRING BACK BAKER!

Yasgur's Farm
10-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Looks like we'll get our #2 either thru the draft or re-signing JP... Say what you will about JP, but #2's don't come much better than him. And who knows when (or if) the light comes on.

VeggieMan14
10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
QB Charlie Batch UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
QB Brock Berlin RFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
QB Kyle Boller UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent
QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
QB Kerry Collins UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
QB Bruce Eugene RFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Charlie Frye UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent
QB Jeff Garcia UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB Rex Grossman UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Gibran Hamdan UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent<NEEDS TO BE RESIGNED
QB J.P. Losman UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
QB Luke McCown UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent
QB J.T. O'Sullivan UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent
QB Kyle Orton UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent
QB Patrick Ramsey UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
QB Kurt Warner UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent
QB Anthony Wright UFA New York Giants Free Agent

Bold is the ones worth looking at

Bone
10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Inability to stay healthy? pshhh I would like to see any qb to withstand that hit. All those qb's blow on that list besides Collins.

New Ro's Greatest
10-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Chase Daniel-Missouri GO BILLS:D:

Albany,n.y.
10-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Looks like we'll get our #2 either thru the draft or re-signing JP... Say what you will about JP, but #2's don't come much better than him. And who knows when (or if) the light comes on.
The only light that will ever come on for JP is the one in his foyer.

dmosher12
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Trent looks like he has the potential to do great things, but injuries are a concern. I don't like any of those options except keeping Hamdan. That doesn't seem like it would hurt. Here is what scares me about Trent:

2003 Stanford - Shoulder Injury knocks him out for season
2004 Stanford - Hurt in 2 games, misses 2 complete games
2005 Stanford - Played whole year!
2006 Stanford - Breaks foot after 7 games
2007 Bills - Hurts wrist
2008 Bills - Concussion

I hope he overcomes this, but you have to admit its scary. Not that he had any chance of stopping that hit on Sunday though. I love the way he plays in the pocket and that is the way it should be played this has nothing to do with that his injury history is frightening to me.

TigerJ
10-06-2008, 09:59 PM
I like Trent and I think he's the Bills starter for the foreseeable future, but JP Losman is gone after the season. Either Buffalo signs a veteran or the eam resigns itself to having Gibran Hamdan back up Trent. That may not be a bad thing. Hamdan is bright, ans a good arm and plenty of size. However, while he's got NFL Europe experience he's got zero NFL experience. There are some serviceable backups on that list. I think at least a few of them are going to be re-signed by their respective teams. We'll see.

DraftBoy
10-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Id sign Grossman to be the backup. Should be cheap, put him on a short term deal and then draft a late round project QB.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
BRING BACK BAKER!

What would you do if there was ever a Baker-DRC match-up?

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Id sign Grossman to be the backup. Should be cheap, put him on a short term deal and then draft a late round project QB.

I would 100% like Rex as the back-up.

DraftBoy
10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
What would you do if there was ever a Baker-DRC match-up?

I don't know, Id be so confused!

zone
10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Isn't that the same as having Losman? Jim Kelly missed games over the years due to injury, but we had a smart, capable QB behind him. JP is not the answer, he still believes he can start in this league we need someone that is comfortable in the backup role and can come in and take care of the football if Trent goes down.

pintonick96
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Id take a shot with Charlie Frye. He looked pretty decent in the preseason this year an would prob come cheap.

DraftBoy
10-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Isn't that the same as having Losman? Jim Kelly missed games over the years due to injury, but we had a smart, capable QB behind him. JP is not the answer, he still believes he can start in this league we need someone that is comfortable in the backup role and can come in and take care of the football if Trent goes down.

I dont think Grossman's issue is that he doesn't get it, its that he just doesnt have the tools to be an NFL QB physically. Im not 100% positive about his mental abilities though.

casdhf
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I like Batch.

Do any of the guys on this list know the offense we run, other than Hamdan and Losman?

DraftBoy
10-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I like Batch.

Do any of the guys on this list know the offense we run, other than Hamdan and Losman?

Grossman was drafted by Jauron so one would assume he'd have a decent grasp of our offense.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Rex Grossman in a Bills jersey next year.

That list though is a who's who of crap basically.