PDA

View Full Version : Early 2009 NFL Mock Draft

Sportsuser101
10-06-2008, 10:47 PM
This is based on the projected rankings before the season started. I didn't feel going by current records because I doubt they'll be the same.

1 Kansas City - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia

May go QB here but I think they work on the lines. They are in need of offensive line help to help that running game and Croyle still has potential.

2 St Louis - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss

Pace is old and is probably done. They need help at the tackle and Barron really hasn't played that well either. I think its too high for Jenkins or Davis at corner.

3 Oakland - OT Andre Smith, Alabama

3 tackles go with the 1st 3 picks. The Raiders need to protect their investments in Russell and McFadden. There defense looks strong and its too early for any WR to go here. They go with the underclassmen Smith.

4 Miami - CB Vontae Davis, Illinois

Wouldn't be suprised to see a linebacker go here but I think corner is a more pressing need. Davis is right up there with Jenkins as far as best corners but I think Davis gets the nod.

5 Atlanta - CB Malcom Jenkins, Ohio State

Jenkins is arguably the best corner and Atlantas secondary is shaky especially with Hall going to Oakland last year. Would be suprised if they didn't grab Davis or Jenkins if there on the board.

6 San Francisco - LB James Laurinatis, Ohio State

What an impressive young linebacker core the 49ers just built. They have Willis, Lawson and now Laurinatis at linebacker. Nolan loves linebackers and while WR and maybe even defensive end are options I think they go with Laurinatis.

7 Detroit - QB Matt Stafford, Georgia

They are in serious need of a future QB to throw to Williams and Johnson and Stafford fits the bill. They could go defense here but I think they want to make a big splash with Stafford under the new general manager.

8 Cincinnati - RB Chris Wells, Ohio State

With Johnson being released and Perry not getting the job done Wells looks like an obvious choice here. With Palmer, Johnson, Houshmanzadeh and Wells it looks like a dangerous offense.

9 Houston - LB Rey Maualuga, USC

Maualuga goes with another good young linebacker in Demeco Ryans to form a dangerous group on defense with Williams, Johnson, Okoye and Weaver on defensive line.

10 Washington - S Taylor Mays, USC

With Taylors death the Redskins need help in the secondary. Mays is a physical freak and will help the Redskins in the secondary.

11 Denver - S William Moore, Missouri

With Lynch released early in camp Denver definetly needed help at safety. Moore or Mays is the option but with Mays going to Washington, Moore is the logical choice. They need help at running back but this is not a Shanahan type pick drafting a RB this early.

12 Chicago - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech

Chicago is in desperate need for a top WR and Crabtree is a perfect fit. Tebow was looked at but they go with the wideout instead.

13 Arizona - DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Arizona needs help getting to the quarterback and Johnson does just that. A good value pick this late in the draft.

14 Tennessee - WR Percy Harvin, Florida

Harvin is a Reggie Bush type player. He is a special player but he's not a true WR or RB. He's more of a guy that you just want to give the ball to. Should help out Vince Young alot.

15 Tampa Bay - QB Tim Tebow, Florida

Gruden loves his quarterbacks and Tebow is the type of tough quarterback Gruden would love. Tebow will sit on the sidelines while Griese plays next year but Tebow would probably see time.

16 Cleveland - RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia

Moreno is a very talented back and Lewis isn't getting any younger. Cleveland needs a back to take the pressure of what will be Brady Quinns team.

17 Baltimore - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri

They need more targets for Flacco. Maclin is a deep threat and with Flaccos arm and Mason underneath it should make for a nice pick.

18 Philadelphia (Carolina) - OT Jason Smith, Baylor

Both Runyan and Thomas are getting old and Smith is an athletic offensive tackle. They don't really have a ton of needs so Smith seems like a nice pick here.

19 Buffalo - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

Buffalo needs help on the interior line but linebacker is a big need as well with the loss of Crowell. Curry, Pos and Mitchell make for a strong linebacker core.

20 New York Jets - RB CJ Spiller, Clemson

The Jets need help at running back. Jones is solid but nothing spectacular. They need a gamebreaker and Spiller is just that.

21 Green Bay - OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

The Packers line is getting old and Loadholt will add some youth and is a monster at 6'9.

22 New Orleans - OLB Brian Cushing, USC

The Saints did a good job upgrading their linebacker core this year but they still need help at linebacker. Cushing was a top recruit out of high school and has a ton of talent.

23 San Diego - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss

They really need to look at getting somebody to replace Williams who has been a great NT for them for years. He's getting up there in age and would look good with Olshansky and Castillo on the ends.

24 Seattle - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland

Even though injuries killed them they still need help at wideout. Heyward-Bey is an explosive deep threat that they are in need of.

25 Indianapolis - OC Alex Mack, California

With Saturdays age and injuries the Colts need help to protect their franchise quarterback and running back. Mack is the best center in college.

26 Jacksonville - OT Jamon Meredith, South Carolina

I think Meredith is a guard in the pros and Jacksonville needs help on the offensive line to get that running game to go.

27 Minnesota - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State

Minnesota hasn't had a good TE in quite some time. If Jackson is going to be the starter there going to need a big target at TE and Pettigrew is a big time blocker as well.

28 New York Giants - TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin

Boss is not a starting TE in my opinion. Beckum is a great target and Boss is a good blocking TE so Beckum could be split out occasionally ala Shockey.

29 New England - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU

Seymour has been hurt and Jackson is an excellent value here. He is perfect for the 34.

30 Philadelphia - S Rashad Johnson, Alabama

Philly is in need of safety help and Johnson is the smart solid player the Eagles look for. They filled both of their holes in this draft.

31 Pittsburgh - OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

With the loss of Faneca the Steelers are in need of some help in the interior line. Robinson is a great run blocker and with Mendenhall and Parker at running back Robinson is ideal.

32 Dallas - WR Derrick Williams, Penn State

Williams is an explosive wide out and returner. He was the top recruit coming out of high school and would be a nice fit at slot next to Owens and Crayton.

DraftBoy
10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Would love Curry! But don't steal my thunder!!

Devin
10-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah nice Bills pick there!

While DE is a bigger need, thats a solid pick for us.

DrGraves
10-07-2008, 12:22 AM
our offensive line sucks?

PECKERWOOD
10-07-2008, 12:32 AM
our offensive line sucks?

Would love to see us take a LT there!

Oaf
10-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Are there any C's or TE's that have a round 1 grade?

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Would love to see us take a LT there!

What? Why?

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2008, 06:03 AM

There are no centers with a round 1 grade.

There might be 1 or 2 TEs.

New Ro's Greatest
10-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Alex Mack C Cal

Jermaine Gresham TE Okla(the guy i want)

Brandon Pettigrew TE Okla St.

GO BILLS:D: P.S where did you get these draft positions at?

DraftBoy
10-07-2008, 07:18 AM

Only 1 TE and thats Gresham has a Round 1 grade, and he's only a junior so he may not declare.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Where is Beckham graded?

DraftBoy
10-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Where is Beckham graded?

3rd Round but some have moved him from TE to WR. He's so thin and has struggled this year.

Sportsuser101
10-08-2008, 08:20 PM

I think Mack is the only center worth of a 1st round pick. Pettigrew, Beckum and maybe even Gresham could be 1st round picks.

billogic99
10-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I think the Bills really need to fix both lines, they need to find big bodies that actually have talent, not just size. I also think they need to start adding big bodies to the Dline not small quick pass rushers, JMO. As foradding a LB I think the Bills can find a LB in FA, they need to stop people on defense and push people around on offense. I think the skill positions in Buffalo are set, outside the TE position.

Confused
10-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Selvie?! uh hello? I think the infalible d-boy will agree that this class is deep enough @ LB we can wait( specially since we need an OLB and not a MLB) If we dont go OL we need to go DE. Honestly there is a playmaker in the 1st I would love to have here in Buffalo that could be had in the 1st if we had the balls to pull the trigger-----PERCY HARVIN------ In Shoenert's O, He is a tremendous upgrade to Freddy Jackson- the type of back you would LOVE to throw swings and screens to. Could definalty handle more than a few running plays and even a direct snap or two. He is fast a frick and a true playmaker. Lynch/Harvin. has my vote.

T-Long
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I personally think if we are in that range, we go with Beckum! You know we love drafting guys out of Ohio State...and I feel like that is our biggest need...especially with the targets Trent has now, adding one more would make us very dangerous.

Sportsuser101
10-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Selvie?! uh hello? I think the infalible d-boy will agree that this class is deep enough @ LB we can wait( specially since we need an OLB and not a MLB) If we dont go OL we need to go DE. Honestly there is a playmaker in the 1st I would love to have here in Buffalo that could be had in the 1st if we had the balls to pull the trigger-----PERCY HARVIN------ In Shoenert's O, He is a tremendous upgrade to Freddy Jackson- the type of back you would LOVE to throw swings and screens to. Could definalty handle more than a few running plays and even a direct snap or two. He is fast a frick and a true playmaker. Lynch/Harvin. has my vote.

Selvie? I'm lost. Harvin? He's a special talent but I think we have more needs then another WR. Jackson is fine there is no need to add a guy who does similiar things.

Sportsuser101
10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I personally think if we are in that range, we go with Beckum! You know we love drafting guys out of Ohio State...and I feel like that is our biggest need...especially with the targets Trent has now, adding one more would make us very dangerous.

Beckum is from Wisconsin. I'd like to go defense in the 1st round again especially at linebacker.

T-Long
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't know why I said Ohio State...I mean Wisconsin because I was referring to Lee Evans

PECKERWOOD
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
What? Why?

Probably because our starting LT held out this offseason and has played like a bum since he's been back. You're right, I'm probably overreacting though. I still want a quality lineman on the 1st day or early 2nd day. DE or FS could also be reasonable possibilities. TOP FS's are definately worth spending a 1st round pick on, that is one position where you should be making tons of plays at.

Confused
10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Selvie? I'm lost. Harvin? He's a special talent but I think we have more needs then another WR. Jackson is fine there is no need to add a guy who does similiar things.

George Selvie. Junior, Defensive End from South Florida. My pick for no.1 Defensive End taken in the 09 draft if he declares.

Percy, Percy, Percy. Harvin is a playmaker, a luxury pick. by far not the smartest pick, but a sincere upgrade over Jackson. I'd describe him as an RB hybrid. Which is what we use Jackson for except Harvin is a big play type of guy and I personally think and have stated many times that we need a true "burner type" RB backing up Lynch for our 1-2 punch. Look at Lendale White/Chris Johnson, or Deuce/Reggie Bust or LT/Sproles. Jackson is no burner by any means. I bet Harvin runs a 4.35 at least. Great receiver, and has decent size. 5'10 205lbs.
A screen to Harvin would be way more productive than a screen to Jackson.

Enough of that nonsense though, we'd never take a risk like that with our 1st round pick. what a shame.

DE,TE,LB, Backup QB,OL,WR,OL

Sportsuser101
10-11-2008, 08:37 AM
George Selvie. Junior, Defensive End from South Florida. My pick for no.1 Defensive End taken in the 09 draft if he declares.

Percy, Percy, Percy. Harvin is a playmaker, a luxury pick. by far not the smartest pick, but a sincere upgrade over Jackson. I'd describe him as an RB hybrid. Which is what we use Jackson for except Harvin is a big play type of guy and I personally think and have stated many times that we need a true "burner type" RB backing up Lynch for our 1-2 punch. Look at Lendale White/Chris Johnson, or Deuce/Reggie Bust or LT/Sproles. Jackson is no burner by any means. I bet Harvin runs a 4.35 at least. Great receiver, and has decent size. 5'10 205lbs.
A screen to Harvin would be way more productive than a screen to Jackson.

Enough of that nonsense though, we'd never take a risk like that with our 1st round pick. what a shame.

DE,TE,LB, Backup QB,OL,WR,OL

Selvie isn't big enough to be a defensive end in the pros. I think he's perfect for the 34 defense at outside linebacker. I don't think he fits our scheme.

He may be an upgrade over Jackson but Jackson is doing just fine in a backup role. I'm not a big fan of drafting Harvin when we have so many other needs.

Confused
10-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Maybe draft a safety? Taylor Mays?

X-Era
10-11-2008, 02:31 PM
This is based on the projected rankings before the season started. I didn't feel going by current records because I doubt they'll be the same.

1 Kansas City - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia

May go QB here but I think they work on the lines. They are in need of offensive line help to help that running game and Croyle still has potential.

2 St Louis - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss

Pace is old and is probably done. They need help at the tackle and Barron really hasn't played that well either. I think its too high for Jenkins or Davis at corner.

3 Oakland - OT Andre Smith, Alabama

3 tackles go with the 1st 3 picks. The Raiders need to protect their investments in Russell and McFadden. There defense looks strong and its too early for any WR to go here. They go with the underclassmen Smith.

4 Miami - CB Vontae Davis, Illinois

Wouldn't be suprised to see a linebacker go here but I think corner is a more pressing need. Davis is right up there with Jenkins as far as best corners but I think Davis gets the nod.

5 Atlanta - CB Malcom Jenkins, Ohio State

Jenkins is arguably the best corner and Atlantas secondary is shaky especially with Hall going to Oakland last year. Would be suprised if they didn't grab Davis or Jenkins if there on the board.

6 San Francisco - LB James Laurinatis, Ohio State

What an impressive young linebacker core the 49ers just built. They have Willis, Lawson and now Laurinatis at linebacker. Nolan loves linebackers and while WR and maybe even defensive end are options I think they go with Laurinatis.

7 Detroit - QB Matt Stafford, Georgia

They are in serious need of a future QB to throw to Williams and Johnson and Stafford fits the bill. They could go defense here but I think they want to make a big splash with Stafford under the new general manager.

8 Cincinnati - RB Chris Wells, Ohio State

With Johnson being released and Perry not getting the job done Wells looks like an obvious choice here. With Palmer, Johnson, Houshmanzadeh and Wells it looks like a dangerous offense.

9 Houston - LB Rey Maualuga, USC

Maualuga goes with another good young linebacker in Demeco Ryans to form a dangerous group on defense with Williams, Johnson, Okoye and Weaver on defensive line.

10 Washington - S Taylor Mays, USC

With Taylors death the Redskins need help in the secondary. Mays is a physical freak and will help the Redskins in the secondary.

11 Denver - S William Moore, Missouri

With Lynch released early in camp Denver definetly needed help at safety. Moore or Mays is the option but with Mays going to Washington, Moore is the logical choice. They need help at running back but this is not a Shanahan type pick drafting a RB this early.

12 Chicago - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech

Chicago is in desperate need for a top WR and Crabtree is a perfect fit. Tebow was looked at but they go with the wideout instead.

13 Arizona - DE Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Arizona needs help getting to the quarterback and Johnson does just that. A good value pick this late in the draft.

14 Tennessee - WR Percy Harvin, Florida

Harvin is a Reggie Bush type player. He is a special player but he's not a true WR or RB. He's more of a guy that you just want to give the ball to. Should help out Vince Young alot.

15 Tampa Bay - QB Tim Tebow, Florida

Gruden loves his quarterbacks and Tebow is the type of tough quarterback Gruden would love. Tebow will sit on the sidelines while Griese plays next year but Tebow would probably see time.

16 Cleveland - RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia

Moreno is a very talented back and Lewis isn't getting any younger. Cleveland needs a back to take the pressure of what will be Brady Quinns team.

17 Baltimore - WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri

They need more targets for Flacco. Maclin is a deep threat and with Flaccos arm and Mason underneath it should make for a nice pick.

18 Philadelphia (Carolina) - OT Jason Smith, Baylor

Both Runyan and Thomas are getting old and Smith is an athletic offensive tackle. They don't really have a ton of needs so Smith seems like a nice pick here.

19 Buffalo - LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

Buffalo needs help on the interior line but linebacker is a big need as well with the loss of Crowell. Curry, Pos and Mitchell make for a strong linebacker core.

20 New York Jets - RB CJ Spiller, Clemson

The Jets need help at running back. Jones is solid but nothing spectacular. They need a gamebreaker and Spiller is just that.

21 Green Bay - OT Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma

The Packers line is getting old and Loadholt will add some youth and is a monster at 6'9.

22 New Orleans - OLB Brian Cushing, USC

The Saints did a good job upgrading their linebacker core this year but they still need help at linebacker. Cushing was a top recruit out of high school and has a ton of talent.

23 San Diego - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss

They really need to look at getting somebody to replace Williams who has been a great NT for them for years. He's getting up there in age and would look good with Olshansky and Castillo on the ends.

24 Seattle - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland

Even though injuries killed them they still need help at wideout. Heyward-Bey is an explosive deep threat that they are in need of.

25 Indianapolis - OC Alex Mack, California

With Saturdays age and injuries the Colts need help to protect their franchise quarterback and running back. Mack is the best center in college.

26 Jacksonville - OT Jamon Meredith, South Carolina

I think Meredith is a guard in the pros and Jacksonville needs help on the offensive line to get that running game to go.

27 Minnesota - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State

Minnesota hasn't had a good TE in quite some time. If Jackson is going to be the starter there going to need a big target at TE and Pettigrew is a big time blocker as well.

28 New York Giants - TE Travis Beckum, Wisconsin

Boss is not a starting TE in my opinion. Beckum is a great target and Boss is a good blocking TE so Beckum could be split out occasionally ala Shockey.

29 New England - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU

Seymour has been hurt and Jackson is an excellent value here. He is perfect for the 34.

30 Philadelphia - S Rashad Johnson, Alabama

Philly is in need of safety help and Johnson is the smart solid player the Eagles look for. They filled both of their holes in this draft.

31 Pittsburgh - OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma

With the loss of Faneca the Steelers are in need of some help in the interior line. Robinson is a great run blocker and with Mendenhall and Parker at running back Robinson is ideal.

32 Dallas - WR Derrick Williams, Penn State

Williams is an explosive wide out and returner. He was the top recruit coming out of high school and would be a nice fit at slot next to Owens and Crayton.

Aaron Curry in round 1 and a guy like Jared Cook in round 2 would be great
Or
Jermaine Gresham in 1