• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Fewell Needs To Adjust The D Scheme During The Bye

The short passing game destroyed us. While reviewing the game, I noticed the CB's were still too far off the LOS, prior to each snap. The WR's were basically getting the ball after taking 2-3 strides. It wasn't rocket science. 17 yards was the longest pass.

Why we didn't make adjustments at halftime seems an honest question. Now the film is available to all.

Another observation was the DL was spead out too much like prior seasons, leaving large gaps for draws/delays or just plain quick hitters up the middle. It also takes away any chance of lineman getting their hands up, leaving easy viewing lanes for Warner. I bet even he was surprised at the opportunities we gave him.

Was Fewell channeling Jerry Gray ? It really didn't make any sense that we didn't adjust after a short period of time.

Strange.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Fewell Needs To Adjust The D Scheme During The Bye

You are on point, but don't expect many changes. Fewell is as stuborn as Fairchild. What's funny is that Dick came on board, he hired two of the most stuborn coordinators possible. We saw how the offense turned out. Fewell needs to follow Fairchild to Colorado.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I never viewed Fewell as stubborn but inexperienced in exposure to various D schemes. He was a secondary coach for Lovie Smith and had no knowledge of any other D outside of the Tampa 2.

It just seems he doesn't know how to adjust, much like Jerry Gray who just keep sending wide blitzes for 2 years, praying something would stick.

In camp, I noticed the CB's playing a bit tighter and the DL tighter in the middle. It worked but for whatever reason, he switched back to the 2007 D in Arizona.(which was terrible)

With a completely level head, I ask " why ? ". It makes no sense.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Some changes are necessary and will happen. Putting more pressure on Rivers then Warner seems logical. However, this defense has to get back to fundamentals. Tackling has been atrocious the past couple of weeks.

Comment

• Turf
          • Jul 2002

The problem with the Bills defense is that any competent QB will rip the secondary apart. There are too many glaring holes in the scheme that are too easy to spot.
          That's why when everyone was gaga about Jauron and extending his contract a couple weeks ago I said let's just hold on and see what he does because this is the type of thing he fails miserably at.
          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• B-DON
            hi
            • Mar 2004

I dont need to review the game, just watching it one time was obvious enough. Our db's were constantly ten yards off the wr. Just terrible coaching. Nothing else to it

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

Screw the soft zone. Doesn't work except for preventing the long pass. I think that's what the plan was since McGee wasn't playing. The scheme needs to be more aggressive.

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X