X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckets
    • Jun 2003

Bills' Schobel out to rack up sacks

Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel has just one sack through five games.

“I think I’m getting to a point where I feel like I’m close,” Schobel said. “I know what I need to do. I thought I knew what I needed to do, and it wasn’t right. So I changed up my alignment. It’s all about angles when you’re rushing the passer. I think I was too wide lately, so I’ll tighten down and that helps me get on them quicker.”

By Mark Gaughan -- News Sports Reporter
    Updated: 10/08/08 10:07 AM

DUH!
    He should read the Zone we brought that up a couple weeks ago.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills' Schobel out to rack up sacks

Well he better get on it quickly. I was puking in my mouth seeing him being easily handled by Mike Gandy

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
      Well he better get on it quickly. I was puking in my mouth seeing him being easily handled by Mike Gandy
      Mike Gandy handled him long enough for Warner to throw a slant.... not that impressive really.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Buckets

DUH!
        He should read the Zone we brought that up a couple years ago.
        I fixed it for you.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
          • Feb 2005

The problem i have with Schobel is not his sack total, it is the fact that u never see him around the QB he is being pushed around, and sealed out of the play with alarming regularity, and has been for a few years now

It is also very scary to see him not really contributing to stopping the run, he is small at the point of attack and is being engulfed by Olineman
          Same goes for Kelsay, but Kelsay at least is putting some heat on the QB
          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

I asked him about this like two years ago, and he told me I was wrong. No joke.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by bigbub2352
              The problem i have with Schobel is not his sack total, it is the fact that u never see him around the QB he is being pushed around, and sealed out of the play with alarming regularity, and has been for a few years now

It is also very scary to see him not really contributing to stopping the run, he is small at the point of attack and is being engulfed by Olineman
              Same goes for Kelsay, but Kelsay at least is putting some heat on the QB
              Sorry but this isn't true at all.... especially the part about his run defending. Schobel has been a KEY part of stopping the run for the Bills. Other teams are barely getting any yardage at all running at Schobel and he is second on the team in tackles.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

But the defensive end admits he has missed on a few opportunities.
                “I’ve missed three sacks, so if I had four we wouldn’t be having this talk,” said Schobel. “So when they’re there I’ve got to make them.”
                With respect to the rest of Schobel’s game however, he’s performing well.
                He’s second on the team in tackles with 32. Paul Posluszny is the only player with more (46). Schobel is tied for second on the team in tackles for loss, second in quarterback pressures and tied for second in quarterback hits. No other defensive player ranks in the top two in as many defensive categories as Schobel.
                Though Schobel may not have the glory stat that some people use to rate a DE, he's become a complete player. I've been surprised at how well he's been playing the run and his tackle #'s supports it.

Teams have been countering our defense with the quick passing game so it's no wonder our D sacks aren't piling up. Hopefully Perry will figure out sooner or later to play less man-to-man in those situations so our corners can actually start playing up on the receivers.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  Sorry but this isn't true at all.... especially the part about his run defending. Schobel has been a KEY part of stopping the run for the Bills. Other teams are barely getting any yardage at all running at Schobel and he is second on the team in tackles.
                  He played the run well against the Raiders and made a couple plays in the run game against the Cardinals, but historically he has struggled against the run. Don't let a handful of good games override his entire history with the team.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

If he wants to fix it, add weight back on! Especially in the upper body area, then you won't get pushed around as much.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      He played the run well against the Raiders and made a couple plays in the run game against the Cardinals, but historically he has struggled against the run. Don't let a handful of good games override his entire history with the team.
                      I agree with this assesment.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i read this article and my first impression was this is the kind of thing you hear a player in decline say when he doesn't know he is declining.

"i'm doing the same stuff i've been doing, but it just doesn't seem to work. I don't know what the issue is."

Schobel has always been a good bill, but i don't think he's going to be in a bills uniform next year. that's my hunch.

Comment

• raphael120
                          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                          • Oct 2005

So who is telling him to line up less wide? Is he figuring this out himself or are the coaches telling him to do this because it's something theyve observed? I'd be worried if our coaches didn't advise him to do this because it means our coaches are clueless.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            I fixed it for you.
                            you mean a couple years ago when he had his best year ever (sack-wise)??

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                              you mean a couple years ago when he had his best year ever (sack-wise)??
                              Fair enough. Last year.

But even when he was getting sacks, he was lining up outside and going too far upfield in an attempt to get after the QB. it left a huge running lane between the tackle and the guard.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X