PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: The Bills should have taken Boss Bailey

Ebenezer
04-30-2003, 03:14 PM
On WGR this afternoon, when asked who the Bills should have taken instead of Willis McGahee, Peter King said "Boss Bailey".

To paraphrase:

Bailey would have upgraded the position currently occupied by Jeff Posey. Now the Bills have to wait for a year to collect on this draft where they could have upgraded the defense. This team is this close and Bailey would have vastly improved the defense.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM
WHAT?

We just got Posey. No one knows how good he'll be on our defense, along side with Spikes and Fletcher.

TedMock
04-30-2003, 03:19 PM
and he's 20 lbs. lighter than Posey and has trouble taking on blockers. yeah, that've been just what we need.

Pride
04-30-2003, 03:26 PM
yeah, maybe in round 2.

I usually agree with Peter, but not on this one.

Tatonka
04-30-2003, 03:37 PM
i think peter should have taken slimfast in the first round.

The Spaz
04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
A pack of slim fast at that!:) Go Bills!

Ingtar33
04-30-2003, 03:46 PM
Bailey, a 46 Sam backer? Peter better stop drinking, because that is absurd... I'd rather Bailey at SS in a 46 than at Sam.

venis2k1
04-30-2003, 03:52 PM
If anything, i would have taken Eric Steinbach

Lone Stranger
04-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Picking Bailey would have been worse than McGahee. Talk about an uproar. I still would have liked William Joseph. The Giants apparently agree with me..

DraftBoy
04-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Alot of people say Joseph is a product of his teams amazing DL and LB's. Not to say its true but Joseph is no easy pick to swallow himself.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
WHAT?

We just got Posey. No one knows how good he'll be on our defense, along side with Spikes and Fletcher.

That's right! He could absolutely suck like he did for 5 out of 6 seasons.

Originally posted by TedMock
and he's 20 lbs. lighter than Posey and has trouble taking on blockers. yeah, that've been just what we need.

Funny! But Crowell, who's the exact same weight but only a fraction of the speed and 3 inches shorter is gonna do what for us???

Like I said, a wasted 3rd rounder.

TD is good at free-agency, but his drafts other than top picks are far from anything inspiring at this point!

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Boss Bailey is overrated, he is fast, thats it, he can't tackle for beans. And he is STRICTLY a WLB, so who are we gonna bench, Spikes?!? That would not ahve been a wise choice.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:37 PM
King is right about one thing; we're close!

Henderson would have helped and I agree that I wouldn't have taken Bailey either.

But some players for this season instead of "future years" may very well turn out to be a part of the difference this year.

colin
04-30-2003, 08:39 PM
King is a great writer, and has a good eye for the behind the sceens stuff, but is the worst talent evaluator ever.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2003, 12:25 AM
"TD is good at free-agency, but his drafts other than top picks are far from anything inspiring at this point!"

Yeah this draft was pretty bad!
2001 Pick Name Pos. School
1. Nate Clements CB Ohio State (21)
2a. Aaron Schobel DE TCU (46)
2b. Travis Henry RB Tennessee (58)
3a. Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M (76)
3b.^ Jonas Jennings OT Georgia (95)
4. Brandon Spoon LB North Carolina (110)
5. Marques Sullivan OT Illinois (114)
6a. Tony Driver S Notre Dame (178)
6b.^ Dan O'Leary TE Notre Dame (195)
6c.^ Jimmy Williams CB Vanderbilt (196)
7a. Reggie Germany WR Ohio State (214)
7b.^ Tyrone Robertson DT Hinds JC (238)

I only see 5 starters and 3 backups in that one HORRIBLE!
Sullivan in the 5th? A steal!

This one only had 3 starters in it and 2 backups EVEN WORSE
2002 Pick Name Pos. School
1. Mike Williams T Texas (4)
2a. Josh Reed WR LSU (36)
2b. Ryan Denney DE BYU
3.^ Coy Wire S Stanford (97)
5. Justin Bannan DT Colorado (139)
6. Kevin Thomas CB UNLV (176)
7a. Mike Pucillo G/C Auburn (215)
7b.^ Rodney Wright WR Fresno State (250)
7c.^ Jarrett Ferguson FB Virginia Tech (252)
7d.^ Dominique Stevenson LB Tennessee (260)

Thomas in the 6th and Bannan in the 5th looks pretty decent to me for later round selections.

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 12:28 AM
i just want to see wys type henderson again.. :lol:

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2003, 12:30 AM
What do you mean T?

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 12:32 AM
every post he has typed that has anything to do with this draft has mentioned henderson.. i just think it is funny.. maybe if he keeps saying it.. and clicks his heels together three times.. and says "theres no place like home.. " henderson will appear on our roster.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2003, 12:41 AM
LOL! Its worth a try WYS!

buffaloscott
05-01-2003, 02:53 AM
We all saw Kings reaction on saturday.He had to offer some alternitive..This just proves WM was a sound pick...I wish we could have got Polamalo at saftey...Drafting for the future may do GW no good though...

Lone Stranger
05-01-2003, 04:26 AM
It looks like Thathurmanator has a point so we'll just have to see how things pan out.

casdhf
05-01-2003, 08:56 AM
Henderson would have been a complete waste

Dman
05-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by fmr60
Picking Bailey would have been worse than McGahee. Talk about an uproar. I still would have liked William Joseph. The Giants apparently agree with me..

NO!!!...
Look..any way you cut it William Joseph is still just Billy Joe...and we all remember our last Billy Joe...

:banme:

TedMock
05-01-2003, 09:41 AM
As a Maryland alum I love EJ Henderson but he wouldn't fit anywhere on our defense. He's a pure inside guy and that spots pretty much taken. As far as Crowell goes, I'm not huge on that pick but the big difference is that he played on the strong side where as Bailey didn't and still had trouble with blockers. Crowell will too at this level but at least at SLB he's a little further ahead. I don't think you draft special teams in the third round but essentially that's what we did. Crowell is known as an outstanding special teams player. Let's face it, we could use the work there. Not to mention it's a lot different taking this guy in the third as it is taking Bailey in the first.

Ingtar33
05-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Actually, in college Bailey did play SLB... but that doesn't mean anything, because plane and simple he's not cut out to do that in the NFL... besides, for all his speed he's really not a good pass rusher.

Ingtar33
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Hurtt (assistant coach with the Miami hurricanes) had the chance to play with former ‘Canes greats Edgerrin James (Indianapolis Colts) and Clinton Portis (Denver Broncos). He says McGahee has more talent than either of those NFL stars.

“I’ve seen some great athletes and some great football players pass through here, but none of them could match the talent or the work ethic of this young man,” Hurtt says.

“Everything is a competition to Willis. In practice, he would be running sprints with the wide receivers -- guys like Santana Moss -- and he’d be beating all of them. In the weight room, he’d challenge our offensive linemen in squats and bench presses, etc., and he would hold his own.”

just figured I'd post this... found it on the front page.

TedMock
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
my mistake, I always thought he was WLB. Everytime I watched him he was more of a sideline to sideline guy and not lined up over anybody.

ct bills fan
05-01-2003, 03:46 PM
It amazes me that people can criticize TD's middle round choices. First, as Thurmanator showed above, his track record is excellent. Second, The Bills brass (arguably the best group of evaluators in the league) does this thing for a living - 7 days a week. So, I respect people's opinions (that's what the board is all about), but, when people come across acting like they know more than TD I laugh (it sound so ridiculous).

Billsouth
05-01-2003, 09:08 PM
bailey also has questionable tackling ability and is known to have mental lapses.

honestly, if we did not pick Wm in the first we would have taken kelsay and we got him in the second. so essentially we got WM in the 2nd round.

Dozerdog
05-02-2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by ct bills fan
It amazes me that people can criticize TD's middle round choices. First, as Thurmanator showed above, his track record is excellent. Second, The Bills brass (arguably the best group of evaluators in the league) does this thing for a living - 7 days a week. So, I respect people's opinions (that's what the board is all about), but, when people come across acting like they know more than TD I laugh (it sound so ridiculous).

Shows what a cheap Dell and a phone line does to people- makes them experts on everything