PDA

View Full Version : There's one guy other than wys who can't be too happy about drafting McGehee..

Earthquake Enyart
04-30-2003, 04:21 PM
That's good old GW.

Last year of his contract, and TD drafts a guy who may not play this whole year. :snicker:

The Spaz
04-30-2003, 04:27 PM
So he has to concentrate on the team not one player. If he gets fires it's because he failed to coach the players on the field not the one's who will probably be on the sidelines. If we fail to make the playoffs he probably will be gone no matter what. Go Bills!

The_Philster
04-30-2003, 04:36 PM
I think what he's saying is that TD used a draft choice on someone who likely isn't going to help us at all this year. I'm not saying we could have definitely gotten someone who could really help us, but at least we could have gotten someone who can suit up.

justasportsfan
04-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Even without WM, he has enough tools to work with. No more excuses.

ArcticWildMan
04-30-2003, 04:47 PM
TD got Greg Williams Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams. That should make up for any real contribution from our first round pick.

If we aren't as a minimum, in the playoffs this year, GW is done.

Earthquake Enyart
04-30-2003, 05:19 PM
I agree with you all, but look at it from GW's standpoint.

He is on the last year of his contract with tremendous pressure to at least make the playoffs, yet has a 1st round pick who may not play.

GW's days are numbered. If we are under .500 at the bye, it's bye bye GW!

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 05:24 PM
i doubt he fires him after 8 weeks. Then we have NO chance bc team is in chaos. if we dont make playoffs i bet he fires GW and promotes lebeau. he loves him and lebeau might be a good coach with some talent around him

colin
04-30-2003, 06:47 PM
No way we are .500

WG
04-30-2003, 08:03 PM
This is a laugh. The team improved immensely w/o the talent over our last 10 last season. I know the weather was getting a bit rough in mid-October, but... :rolleyes:

There's no way on earth barring injuries out the wazzoo that we're even close to .500 at the bye. Jags, Jets, Cincy, and Washington will ensure that. We should be able to win 2 of the other 4 too.

The only way I see us doing poorly is if Fletcher goes down b/c we have absolutley no one capable of playing the middle well, ergo my wishes for having drafted Henderson. If Adams or Williams gets hurt, same thing. We're right back to where we were last year then except w/ Spikes on the outside.

If we have more than one OL injury, then we're hosed as it stands. This Sobieski has a significant injury history too. :rolleyes:

One WR goes down, what? Anyone trust Shaw or Johnson to fill in as the #2? Not me!

We should have taken Henderson in round 1. I'm fine w/ Kelsay in round 2, although I wouldn't have made that pick. I wouldn't have touched Crowell in round 3 at all. I would have taken Peterson though which G.B. took w/ our pick traded.

Here's his profile:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6845

I like it better than Kelsay's! He sure fits out system better and at least offers us an opportunity that he'd be the speed corner DE that we need. Kelsay doesn't.

I might have looked at Tyrone Calico in round 2. WR, UTenn.

But Henderson in round 1, Calico in round 2, and Peterson, whom we still could have taken in round 3, IMO would have been very useful both this season and for future!

WG
04-30-2003, 08:09 PM
It surely would have filled 3 immediate needs!

Here's what Kelsay's profile says:

"Negatives: Lacks size and will get engulfed by bigger offensive tackles. Relies heavily on his speed. Is not as agile as teams want in a speed-rushing defensive end. Has a recent injury history. Is strong but must get much stronger.

Summary: Though his ability to play the run has improved, Kelsay doesn't show the ability to consistently beat superior competition. His lunch-pail approach makes him a top prospect, but he may not be drafted until the second round because of his measurables."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6822

Does this really excite anyone?

It tells me that if Kelsay relied on his speed overly in college, that he'll get smoked in the pros. His strengths are intelligence, technique, etc. It also tells me that he plays up by outwitting and technique. That and a buck will get him a cup of coffee in the NFL.

He'll need that size that he doesn't have and additional speed to beat all the Ts at that next level who will be worlds above the ones he faced in college.

I'm just not excited w/ him. If we would have taken him in round 1, then I'd have been pissed! He clearly isn't a first rounder.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:29 PM
AND we could have had Rien Long as late as our first 4th rounder!

Can you imagine:

EJ Henderson
Tyrone Calico
Kenny Peterson
Rien Long

That would have given us:

1) the best MLB in the draft and a huge impact player
2) a top prospect WR, great size
3) a speed pass-rushing DE
4) a decent DT

And Long's shortcomings, size, bulk, and strength can easily be overcome w/ some training.

That combo would have helped us this year and in the future. It would have addressed every single one of our needs except for OL depth. We still could have taken Sobieski in the 5th.

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 08:33 PM
That would get us the most overrated players in the draft! Cool! If those guys are as good as you think then Donahoe would have drafted them.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
That would get us the most overrated players in the draft! Cool! If those guys are as good as you think then Donahoe would have drafted them.

According to whom? You! Certainly not according to talent evaluators! Henderson was thought to have gone in the first round and quite frankly, the only reason he didn't was b/c of the run on DL and DBs. Some of those DLs and DBs I wouldn't have taken in the first.

Yeah, and besides, just like he leaped to the front of the line last year and grabbed Denney in the second, who wasn't on most lists until the 4th/5th, right!

Kinda like that???

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 08:43 PM
KInda like when he traded down and passed on Walker (a mediocre tackle) and picked up Clements and Henry. Or kinda like when he drafted 4 starters in rounds three and up, not becuase we have no talent, but becuase they were good enough to earn the spot. One move he made that hasnt made an imediate impact and you're willing to question his abilities? If you were in charge of the draft the Franchise would fold! I wouldnt talk about what TD should have done, he knows waaaaay more than you.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:49 PM
No matter how you slice it, TD's draft after our 36th pick last year has produced nothing if Wire doesn't do much.

I think Peterson in round 3 would have not only met a need, but been a very good pick for mid 3rd.

Henderson would have been solid at 23 overall as well and again, would have filled a need.

Calico in the 2nd, maybe not, but it would have at least filled a need.

And Rien Long in the 4th, the 4th we're talkin', would have been a GREAT pick!

As it stands, our top two picks are injury puppies. Our 3rd round pick doesn't have the size for his position to succeed w/o tons of speed which he doesn't have.

Say what you will, but your main point is baseless. Your opinion is no more valid than anyone else's until things play out.

Even if TD's picks pan out, they DON'T MEET ANY FREAKIN' NEEDS this year!

If Kelsay and Crowell start then you can kiss any chances of a championship out the window! McGahee won't do anything this year and if he does, I'll be VERY happy if he just doesn't even get as much as a bruise.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:50 PM
And if Kelsay and Crowell start this year, then that won't say too much for TD's evaluation of free-agency talent now, will it!

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 08:55 PM
If Wire doesnt do much? What the hell desn that mean? Well, we wouldnt have gotten anything in the 2001 draft if Clements, Henry, Schobel, Edwards, Jennings, Spoon, and Sullivan dont do much. Wire showed immense potential last year, and it is quite uncommon to get starters in the third row, the fact that TD has done it 2 years in a row is phenomenal. Not many teams can claim that. We are getting 3rd, 4th and 5th round starters while most teams are lucky if their no. 1 pans out well. Our talent evaluation is top of the NFL. Oh btw, what about Justin Bannan and Kevin Thomas? Those guys look like they might have some potential too, just becuase they recieved kimited playing time and had a limited impact doesnt mean they wont be good, of course it doesnt mean they will be either.

*Of course they wont start? Whats you're point? You can have good players that dont start.