X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Cardinals' Wilson fined for hit that knocked out Bills' Edwards

The NFL has levied a $25,000 fine against Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson for the hit that left Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards with a concussion in Week 5.

According to the league, the hit on Edwards violated the rule stating that "a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight." The rule compels defensive players to "strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player's arms."

A penalty was not called on the play.
    The NFL has levied a $25,000 fine against Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson for the hit that left Buffalo Bills quarterback with a concussion in Week 5.

I dont know if I agree with this... the hit looked clean to me!
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: Cardinals' Wilson fined for hit that knocked out Bills' Edwards

Wow.

It was a good, clean hard hit. He was coming at TE at full speed and was trying to stop the pass.

Bad ruling.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

It was a clean hit, but I can see where the fine came from. I know it has something to do with driving him into the ground.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

it definately has to do with his being driven into the ground and it appropriate. I know these guys go after QBs with intent to injure them and take them out of the game. That was what happened here and the league is trying to address it.

Comment

• mchurchfie
          • Jul 2002

Even though it was semi-clean he definitely had bad intentions on the hit. Right at the end he kind of drove his helmet into him.
          My Band
          daveviterna.com

Comment

• ServoBillieves
            The Voice of Reason
            • Jul 2007

The helmet drive was unnecessary, but it was a clean hit otherwise.

This is the NFL taking case against the Cards to maybe even out the fine on the Jets.
            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• m1orenz
              • Aug 2007

Its not for the hit, its for the drive into the ground. According to the rules, it was roughing the passer

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

They should've fined Langston Walker instead for not blocking Wilson on that ****ing play.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

It was a head to head hit. His facemask hit TE in the head. The impact doesn't need to be done with the top of the helmet. These are exactly the hits that should be fined. Mitchell should have gotten fined, too. Either player could have led with their shoulder. The game has changed. In the 70s when I was learning the game we were TAUGHT to lead with the shoulder - protect the player and ourself.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                    They should've fined Langston Walker instead for not blocking Wilson on that ****ing play.
                    and if he blocks Wilson somebody else comes free on the play.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                      I actually think Walker made the right block. When there is a blitzer or if there are more rushers than blockers, the backs and OL's are taught to take the inside man and let the outside man go because the outside man has further to go to get to the QB. If Walker had blocked Wilson, the DE would have had a free run at the QB and a shorter distance to get there. Trent probably wouldn't have even gotten rid of the ball.

The real problem was that the Bills got outcoached. They recognized our protection and brought more than the OL could handle.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        and if he blocks Wilson somebody else comes free on the play.
                        Maybe our o-line should just give back their games checks.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                          I actually think Walker made the right block. When there is a blitzer or if there are more rushers than blockers, the backs and OL's are taught to take the inside man and let the outside man go because the outside man has further to go to get to the QB. If Walker had blocked Wilson, the DE would have had a free run at the QB and a shorter distance to get there. Trent probably wouldn't have even gotten rid of the ball.

The real problem was that the Bills got outcoached. They recognized our protection and brought more than the OL could handle.
                          It was not even that.

The defenseive call overloaded the offense, with two DBs blitzing (Lynch pick up one too).

In that case the WR has to cut-off his pattern (good work Hardy!), the QB has to read it and dump the pass off (Good work TE) and minimize the hit (oops!).

Overall they got outcoached, but not on that play.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

I figured he would get fined. Sure it was a good hit, but it had bad intentions, especially once Wilson decided to drive Edwards into the ground.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                              I figured he would get fined. Sure it was a good hit, but it had bad intentions, especially once Wilson decided to drive Edwards into the ground.
                              bad intentions? Mikey, you can try to hurt somebody by hitting them with your shoulder...that is a bad intention. He hit him with his facemask. i.e., part of his helmet...by rule that is illegal.

Comment

Working...
                              X