PDA

View Full Version : The play that is bugging me in the NHL is.........

SabreEleven
10-11-2008, 08:17 AM
the play when a offensive player is going for the puck and is about 5 feet from (hasn't touched it yet) and they are getting body checked by the defensman. Is this not a penalty? Now it is getting where the offensive player has to iniated the hit to keep from getting hit off his feet....This hit shouldn't occur until after one of the touches the puck...

BlackMetalNinja
10-11-2008, 09:39 AM
the play when a offensive player is going for the puck and is about 5 feet from (hasn't touched it yet) and they are getting body checked by the defensman. Is this not a penalty? Now it is getting where the offensive player has to iniated the hit to keep from getting hit off his feet....This hit shouldn't occur until after one of the touches the puck...I believe that was called once during the game last night wasn't it? It's a new rule that is supposed to be a point of emphasis this season.

Nighthawk
10-11-2008, 09:46 AM
It's not a new rule...it is a very old rule that just isn't enforced. BMN, you might be confusing it with the new rule regarding icing which it is now a penalty if you try to check the defenseman going back to touch it up for icing.

As far as SabresEleven's point is concerned, I entirely agree. This is why the NHL will never be more than a side sport and never get national attention like it should. Obstruction kills the speed in the sport and kills scoring. The NHL is one of the worst operated leagues and they just don't seem to get it.

BlackMetalNinja
10-11-2008, 09:57 AM
It's not a new rule...it is a very old rule that just isn't enforced. BMN, you might be confusing it with the new rule regarding icing which it is now a penalty if you try to check the defenseman going back to touch it up for icing.

As far as SabresEleven's point is concerned, I entirely agree. This is why the NHL will never be more than a side sport and never get national attention like it should. Obstruction kills the speed in the sport and kills scoring. The NHL is one of the worst operated leagues and they just don't seem to get it.Ahh yes, you are correct, that is what I was thinking of.

Nighthawk
10-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Ahh yes, you are correct, that is what I was thinking of.

And it is a good rule...it's way too dangerous to allow an offensive player to take a run at a defenseman who is looking down for the puck.