• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Some random observations - game 1

1. For one game at least, the best player on the ice was Paille. He was all over. Physical play. Had scoring chances. Played defense.
    2. Teppo provides stability on defense and is a calming influence.
    3. Miller looks to have gained weight. He was also in great position all game.
    4. Sekera looked very good. If he improves, he could replace much of what was lost when the over-rated Campbell left.
    5. Peters actually played in all three periods. And was not a weakness. Hell, he even had the first SOG of the game!
    6. Max was Max. A few giveaways. Some good plays. Drew one penalty that was not called (a very clear hold). Was blamed by people in the crowd for giveaways that weren't his (one was a bad pass from Kotalik)
    7. The penalty kill was very good. Holding Montreal to 0-6 is damn impressive. And they used a bunch of different guys on the unit, including Vanek and Kaleta (who made some nice plays)
    8. How the hell did Price get beat twice on the same move? He is better than that.
    9. Miller made a nice save in the shootout and then forced Koivu to the outside, where he lost the puck. Smart goalie. They clean the middle of the ice, but Miller forced him to the rougher area.
    10. Lindy likes to shoot first in the shootouts. Odd strategy, but it worked.
    11. The PP was maddening. One time they would shoot too fast. The next time they waited too long to shoot. (Note: I hate fans who start screaming "Shoot" as soon as the Sabres cross the blueline or the puck is at the point even if there is no screen. Idiots. stfu.) It is an unit that is 10X with the strained vagina-man.
    12. C'mon Timmy. Cracked bone in his back? He played 80+ games in his first four seasons. Now he is lucky to play 40. Hopefully this is short-term and then he will be healthy. But I will believe it when I see it. It is to the point that *****ing about it is worthless so might as well laugh. From now on I will picture him like this:

It is only one game and I will leave the over-reaction (positive and negative) to others. There are 81 more games. But it was a better game 1 than last year and Vanek appears to not be pressing as much. The team has the ability to do well this year and if Gerbe plays like it everybody is saying, he will give this team a boost when he gets the call.

It was a fun time, despite sitting next to Meathead.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Some random observations - game 1

Vanek's goal showed maturity, patience and confidence (not to mention the accuracy). I thought for sure he was going to pass it to Hecht, which wouldn't have worked because Montreal was pretty good cutting those off in front.

Except for the SO, Price is the real deal. He got the point for Montreal.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

I agree he got the point for them.

Of course him not winning must suck if he is on one's FHL team, eh AF61?

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Tim missed the game with a bruised vagina.

I agree on almost all your points, especially Sekera.. he actually reminds me of a young Campbell in many ways.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
          • May 2005

Good assessment Doc, Phil too, Price is definitely one of the better goalies in the league.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

I believe it is time for the team to cut ties with the Flower that is Tim Connelly. This guy is an f'n p**sy!

Also, Teppo looked old and really didn't impress me. He looked like a 40 year old who should be playing in a bar league.

Loved Rivet and what he brings to the team and Paille played an excellent game.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Trade Tim. Now.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                • Feb 2008

Its funny how when we have our best player leave, he is immediatley marked as overrated.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  1. For one game at least, the best player on the ice was Paille. He was all over. Physical play. Had scoring chances. Played defense.
                  2. Teppo provides stability on defense and is a calming influence.
                  3. Miller looks to have gained weight. He was also in great position all game.
                  4. Sekera looked very good. If he improves, he could replace much of what was lost when the over-rated Campbell left.
                  5. Peters actually played in all three periods. And was not a weakness. Hell, he even had the first SOG of the game!
                  6. Max was Max. A few giveaways. Some good plays. Drew one penalty that was not called (a very clear hold). Was blamed by people in the crowd for giveaways that weren't his (one was a bad pass from Kotalik)
                  7. The penalty kill was very good. Holding Montreal to 0-6 is damn impressive. And they used a bunch of different guys on the unit, including Vanek and Kaleta (who made some nice plays)
                  8. How the hell did Price get beat twice on the same move? He is better than that.
                  9. Miller made a nice save in the shootout and then forced Koivu to the outside, where he lost the puck. Smart goalie. They clean the middle of the ice, but Miller forced him to the rougher area.
                  10. Lindy likes to shoot first in the shootouts. Odd strategy, but it worked.
                  11. The PP was maddening. One time they would shoot too fast. The next time they waited too long to shoot. (Note: I hate fans who start screaming "Shoot" as soon as the Sabres cross the blueline or the puck is at the point even if there is no screen. Idiots. stfu.) It is an unit that is 10X with the strained vagina-man.
                  12. C'mon Timmy. Cracked bone in his back? He played 80+ games in his first four seasons. Now he is lucky to play 40. Hopefully this is short-term and then he will be healthy. But I will believe it when I see it. It is to the point that *****ing about it is worthless so might as well laugh. From now on I will picture him like this:

It is only one game and I will leave the over-reaction (positive and negative) to others. There are 81 more games. But it was a better game 1 than last year and Vanek appears to not be pressing as much. The team has the ability to do well this year and if Gerbe plays like it everybody is saying, he will give this team a boost when he gets the call.

It was a fun time, despite sitting next to Meathead.
                  1. Agreed
                  2. Disagree- Teppo doesn't finish his checks and got stuck behind the goal and was unable to clear a few times. He and Lydman just don't seem to have the speed to get around guys when they get the puck in the corners.
                  3. Mostly agree- I thought Miller was excellent at the end but looked a little shaky at the beginning. Probably just nerves.
                  4. Disagree- I thought Sekera struggled. He fell on his ass on the PP and coughed up the puck a couple times, plus got tangled with Tallinder on the Canadiens' goal (although I'd probably put that more on Tallinder). Sekera seemed better on the PP and paired with Spacek than he did paired with Tallinder.
                  5. Agreed- I love how Peters hits and finishes checks.
                  6. Agreed. This pretty much goes without saying at this point.
                  7. Agreed.
                  8. I think they had Price scouted well- they must have seen something in previous SO's that showed he was vulnerable to the fake because both Sabres shooters attacked him the same way and it worked both times.

I agree with the rest. I'm not putting too much stock in Gerbe just yet though. It'll probably be a season or two before he does much. But it would be great if he could contribute then we can trade Max for a prospect or a hard-hitting defender.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mitchell59
                    Its funny how when we have our best player leave, he is immediatley marked as overrated.
                    Really? Who did that?

I said Campbell was overrated 3 years ago. You can ask anybody.

And he was never the Sabres best player. Not even close.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

A few replies to Op -

Miller did look shaky in the first. Really the 1st was sloppy all around (look at the penalties) Both teams looked like teams playing in the first night.

Teppo made a few plays that might not have been real clear on TV. Basically the rest of the team looked baffled and were skating around randomly. He got the puck those times and either cleared it or got it up to a skater. Kinda hard to explain.

And I partially agree on Sekera. He did make some mistakes. But he was the only offensive threat on the defense. Basically he looked like a young Campbell w/o being totally worthless in his own end.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

A few more notes:

1. The officiating was terrible. The roughing call Paille drew was very weak.
                        2. Chanting "Ole, Ole" at a hockey game is Richard Simmons level gay.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          2. Chanting "Ole, Ole" at a hockey game is Richard Simmons level gay.
                          you'd think fans of a team called the "Canadiens" would know the difference between hockey and soccer.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Jan 2004

Why does everyone hate Kaleta (the Buffalo Kid) he had a nice hit last night

RJ "Oh what a hit there by Paille as he dropped Andre Kostitsyn, quicker than the Dow!" that was great, only Jeanneret could come up with something like that.

Comment

• hydro
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                              Why does everyone hate Kaleta he had a nice hit last night

RJ "Oh what a hit there by Paille as he dropped Andre Kostitsyn quicker than the Dow!" that was great, only Jeanneret could come up with something like that.
                              Show me where anybody hated on your boy Kaleta in this thread? I will be waiting...
                              BERNIAC!

Comment

Working...
                              X