PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports: Bills in Gonzo Derby

Meathead
10-11-2008, 01:30 PM
a poster at bbi is reporting that espn is reporting ... ah hell, here it is

Per ESPN. No link because I saw it on television.

Tony Gonzalez wants to be traded to a contender but the Chiefs are looking for the right deal. Trade deadline in Tuesday. The Bills have expressed interest!

This would be huge addition to the Bills and help in TrEd's development. Young quarterbacks need a go to tight end. Please One Bill's Drive, get this done.

:bills:

i got yelled at last time i posted a link so youre on your own

Meathead
10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
even at 80% of classic gonzo youd have to consider the bills a top afc offense contender by the end of the season if that happened

VeggieMan14
10-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I sure hope we go after him

New Ro's Greatest
10-11-2008, 02:08 PM
We need this guy. JP and a 3rd! Get it done Ralph. GO BILLS:D:

Scumbag College
10-11-2008, 02:09 PM
JP and a sixth round draft pick sounds fair to me.

Night Train
10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
JP, Royal, McCargo, Fowler & a large rye bread (Woody Allen reference)

Night Train
10-11-2008, 02:20 PM
This all originates from the Adam Schefter blog from 2 weeks back.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/09/24/could-te-gonzalez-play-for-another-team/

X-Era
10-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Apparently its got legs:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap"> Chris_Brown (http://boards.buffalobills.com/member.php?u=25698) http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1482526", true); </script>
Official Reporter Extraordinaire
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td valign="top" nowrap="nowrap"> Join Date: Jul 2006

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title --> http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/icons/icon1.gif ESPN News report on Gonzalez and Bills
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Though there are no links to any written stories on their website, ESPN News (TV) is reporting that the Bills are one of several teams “known to have inquired about” Kansas City TE Tony Gonzalez. According to ESPN News the asking price is starting at a 1st round pick “and change.” The network did not [...]

Click here to read the latest blog entry... (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/10/11/espn-news-report-on-gonzalez-and-bills/)
<!-- / message --> <!-- controls --> http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1482526)

If Chris is reporting it, he at least verified the source.

X-Era
10-11-2008, 02:27 PM
The blog entry takes it further:

ESPN News report on Gonzalez and Bills

Chris Brown
Posted October 11th, 2008
Tags: Tony Gonzalez (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/tony-gonzalez/)
Though there are no links to any written stories on their website, ESPN News (TV) is reporting that the Bills are one of several teams “known to have inquired about” Kansas City TE Tony Gonzalez. According to ESPN News the asking price is starting at a 1st round pick “and change.” The network did not attribute their report to any of their NFL beat reporters.
Gonzalez has been reportedly interested in making a move to a contending team as the Chiefs are in full blown rebuilding mode. The perennial Pro Bowl tight end is signed through 2011 at reasonable base salaries for a player of his caliber ($1M in ‘08, $4M in ‘09, $4.5M in ‘10, $5.75M in ‘11), though $17M of his most recent contract in guaranteed and could include some of the base salaries listed above.
A first-round pick and then some is a lot to surrender, but Gonzalez has been one of the most durable tight ends in the league and at 32 likely has at least two more productive seasons in him.
We’ll do our best to keep you updated on the possibility of Gonzalez being moved by the Chiefs prior to the Tuesday trade deadline. The Eagles are another team that has been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Gonzalez as well as the Giants.

Meathead
10-11-2008, 02:43 PM
was the extra third the bills ended up with used this last draft or this coming one? i think we spent it but im not positive

Luisito23
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
No way I would give a 1st. or even 2nd...If he was 5 years younger than it's a no-brainer but not at 32...A third is the highest I would go...

shelby
10-11-2008, 02:56 PM
:drool:

Bling
10-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Doubt it happens.

Meathead
10-11-2008, 03:08 PM
you can change the title now

its not a rooomah

http://www.avantfolk.com/disclosure/photos/arnoldcop.jpg

CUHATIN
10-11-2008, 03:09 PM
That would be a great pickup and would improve our offense alot!!!

Gonzo would be Trents go to guy!!!

Mr. Pink
10-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I'd be shocked if Gonzo gets moved at all.

Bunnerjk
10-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Gonzo's getting old, but I'll take him.

yordad
10-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, our line is sucking. He would probably never run a route.

Nighthawk
10-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh my God...I would love to see them bring him in! Go get him...we're 4-1...let's make a run!

OpIv37
10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Bills: "What do you want for Gonzales?"
Chiefs: "A second and a conditional 5th"
Bills: "We'll give you a 3rd and a 7th".
Click.

Don't read too much into this- I see an "inquiry" as an FO just putting out feelers to see if they can swing a deal. I doubt they're serious- just doing their due diligence.

RockStar36
10-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd love this. Royal blows goats.

Patti120
10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Would love it too, but would be shocked if it happened. Even though he is durable and a play maker a 1st rounder is way too much to give up for him. JP and a 3rd definitely though!

patmoran2006
10-11-2008, 04:51 PM
If he gets moved at all, I'd expect him to go to Philly.

and please STOP throwing JP's name out there..
1- Nobody wants JP
2- We need a backup QB, especially with Trent having a head injury.. As much as YOU would be willing to, the Bills are NOT going to have their seasons potentially come in the hands of Hamden.

Ridiculous, utterly for anyone to think we'd trade JP right now.

Dr. Lecter
10-11-2008, 05:40 PM
If they give up a 1st for him, I will kick Brandon in the balls.

T-Long
10-11-2008, 05:40 PM
It says 1st day pick, not a 1st round pick

A league source confirms Gonzalez earlier this week went to Chiefs GM Carl Peterson and inquired about a trade to contender, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. The Chiefs are now open to dealing the star tight end for the right price.

They don't wish to give him away and give the impression that they've completely given up on trying to win now. Kansas City is seeking a first- day pick and "change.

Mr. Pink
10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Is Gonzo really worth a 2nd and 5th or 6th at this point in his career?

Like I said, doubt he gets moved.

Yasgur's Farm
10-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll give them #1 + McCargo and swap #2's... and maybe #3's too.

Philagape
10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Is Gonzo really worth a 2nd and 5th or 6th at this point in his career?

For a contending team that needs a key piece, I'd say so.

X-Era
10-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I'll give them #1 + McCargo and swap #2's... and maybe #3's too.

I hope all of that switching stuff came from adding up all the points

Yasgur's Farm
10-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Just working at giving KC what they want (#1+)... And making it worth it for the Bills.

bills4ver
10-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Just read that the NY Giants offered a 6th for Gonzo, but KC is asking for a 3rd.

I would give a 3rd straight up for him even if he only has 2 years left.

yordad
10-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Just read that the NY Giants offered a 6th for Gonzo, but KC is asking for a 3rd.

I would give a 3rd straight up for him even if he only has 2 years left.Sweet, where did you read that?

T-Long
10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
There is NO reason why we shouldn't offer a 3rd!!!! Get it done Brass!!!

Mr. Miyagi
10-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't think we have a 3rd. We gave a 3 and 5 for Stroud.

Brown42000
10-11-2008, 08:39 PM
If KC is asking for a first round pick then they don't want to trade him. They know a team won't give up a first round pick for a 32 year old tight end.

X-Era
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Time for a title change again, the Kansas City Star is reporting we have interest as well:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/836918.html

"The Chiefs were asking for a third-round pick, and the Giants offered a sixth-rounder.
Green Bay, Philadelphia and Buffalo are other teams to express an interest in Gonzalez."

yordad
10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't think we have a 3rd. We gave a 3 and 5 for Stroud.I believe we gave those picks up last year.

Goobylal
10-11-2008, 09:44 PM
No use in getting my hopes up. If they want him, they can get him. The question is how badly do they want him and vice versa? If I were Gonzo, I'd want the Giants and then the Eagles, then the Bills.

Michael82
10-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I would love to bring Gonzalez aboard..... :drool:

DrGraves
10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
this is a no brainer, bull the trigger front office. why is it taking so long?

Tatonka
10-11-2008, 10:49 PM
the same tony gonzales that *****ed and pissed and moaned about not getting his one catch to get his receiving record, even though the team won against denver?

Mitchell55
10-11-2008, 11:16 PM
the same tony gonzales that *****ed and pissed and moaned about not getting his one catch to get his receiving record, even though the team won against denver?

Link, even though I dont care. 1 quote does not define a HOF career.

Marvelous
10-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Good grief...Can we stamp or label the fans on this board who think Tight End is more impoertant then skilled positions?

clumping platelets
10-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I'd love this. Royal blows goats.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

SquishDaFish
10-11-2008, 11:35 PM
He makes the TE position a SKILL position

Tatonka
10-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Link, even though I dont care. 1 quote does not define a HOF career.

tony is all about tony... but most are i guess.

“I had my family out there. I wanted to do it in front of the fans, in a home game,” Gonzalez said. “It would have been a great way to do it. I’m disappointed by that, for whatever reason my number wasn’t called at times.”

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/sep/30/gonzalez_miffed/

trapezeus
10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
my questions would be the following:

1. what did the saints give for shockey. we should give no more than that. shockey was there for a full training camp and is much younger.
2. how does adding Gonzalez to the team effect the morale of the team? it seems the team has an all for one comraderie from interviews and what you hear. Robert Royal is actually highly respected. to put him on the side may throw off team dynamics. it's a small concern, but the FO brass should know about this before completing any deal.

Marvelous
10-12-2008, 12:19 AM
TE is by no means a major problem with our offense.. Royal catches decent enough. Our pass protection could still use some improvements as the recieving core... I stand by the idea that as long as the Bills have a Fullback on the roster, said FB should have enough speed and soft hands to offer a outlet to Trent Edwards in the flats etc...

-Gonzo might make TE a skilled position but to me it makes -0- sense for us to give up a draft pick for him and disrupt the team which just happens to be off to it's best start in about 15 years....Royal does not suck. If he "sucked" then he would be cut. He's just not Metzelaars, but servicable none the less.. I bet if Trent threw to him 10 times a game he would bring in 8-9 of em and his stats would be through the roof, thus quenching the hunger the majority of teh fanbase has for TE...

Bravo82
10-12-2008, 12:54 AM
:drool:

:monkeyp: :drool:

but in all seriousness....id take him if the price is right :cool:

Lexwhat
10-12-2008, 02:03 AM
my questions would be the following:

1. what did the saints give for shockey. we should give no more than that. shockey was there for a full training camp and is much younger.
2. how does adding Gonzalez to the team effect the morale of the team? it seems the team has an all for one comraderie from interviews and what you hear. Robert Royal is actually highly respected. to put him on the side may throw off team dynamics. it's a small concern, but the FO brass should know about this before completing any deal.

1. The Saints gave up 2nd and 5th round picks, and the trade has been paying off for them. Shockey was still getting comfortable, and improving, but recently got injured and will be out for a few weeks.

Personally, I wish we would have pulled the trigger for 28-year old Shockey, but wouldn't mind acquiring Gonzalez for a 3rd rounder. Anything higher than a 3rd and we are getting ripped off. Gonzalez is already a 12 year vet, and any receiver that old who switches teams, doesn't usually do well with the new team. However, he would be an upgrade and another good option for Trent.

2. You bring up a good point about team chemistry, but 2 things:

A) Gonzalez has good character and great work ethic. I think he would be welcomed here by the whole team.

B) I very, very strongly disagree with your assessment about Royal. Yes, the players like his personality, but come on, this is the NFL. He's a $10 million dollar cheerleader who is a constant liability on the field. Even guys like Coy Wire, Darien Barnes, and Josh Stamer were well-liked, and their asses were kicked to the curb.

Robert Royal has worn out his welcome here, and if the Bills get a chance to replace him, they will.

Lexwhat
10-12-2008, 02:04 AM
:monkeyp: :drool:

:rofl:

Night Train
10-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Many here seem to be quite familiar with the term " No Brainer ". Speaks volumes.

Philagape
10-12-2008, 06:59 AM
TE is by no means a major problem with our offense.. Royal catches decent enough. Our pass protection could still use some improvements as the recieving core... I stand by the idea that as long as the Bills have a Fullback on the roster, said FB should have enough speed and soft hands to offer a outlet to Trent Edwards in the flats etc...

-Gonzo might make TE a skilled position but to me it makes -0- sense for us to give up a draft pick for him and disrupt the team which just happens to be off to it's best start in about 15 years....Royal does not suck. If he "sucked" then he would be cut. He's just not Metzelaars, but servicable none the less.. I bet if Trent threw to him 10 times a game he would bring in 8-9 of em and his stats would be through the roof, thus quenching the hunger the majority of teh fanbase has for TE...

1. How's having a FB worked so far?
2. If bringing in someone disrupted the team, no trades would be made ever in sports
3. Royal sucks as a starter but would make a decent No. 2
4. Nobody has ever thrown to him 10 times a game, and there's a reason for that (see No. 3)

yordad
10-12-2008, 07:25 AM
I think Royal unofficially leads the league in fumbles per catch for last year and this year combined.

SABURZFAN
10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
a poster at bbi is reporting that espn is reporting ... ah hell, here it is

i got yelled at last time i posted a link so youre on your own

i'll believe it when i see it. info coming from Buffalo's Biggest Idiots is definitely not reliable.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 09:35 AM
i'll believe it when i see it. info coming from Buffalo's Biggest Idiots is definitely not reliable.
You should have checked my posts, Chris Brown, and the Kansas City Star are reporting it too.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Damn, I feel like Im digging to China on this one:

From Profootballtalk:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/

Along with the Giants, the Bills, Eagles, and Packers (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/#) are interested in the veteran Pro Bowler, who recently set the career receiving yardage record at his position.

Cntrygal
10-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Just for SAB.... an ESPN link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3638551)

Ingtar33
10-12-2008, 11:07 AM
i don't think Gonzales is a step up from royal... so why would we waste the money and picks?

Nighthawk
10-12-2008, 11:41 AM
If he gets moved at all, I'd expect him to go to Philly.

and please STOP throwing JP's name out there..
1- Nobody wants JP
2- We need a backup QB, especially with Trent having a head injury.. As much as YOU would be willing to, the Bills are NOT going to have their seasons potentially come in the hands of Hamden.

Ridiculous, utterly for anyone to think we'd trade JP right now.

I totally agree that people should stop talking about JP in a trade. However, it is because he has no value and KC wouldn't want him, not because we NEED him if Trent goes down. If Trent goes down for a long period of time, our season is over anyways, so let's not stretch it to seem like JP can keep the ship afloat...HE CAN'T!

Nighthawk
10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
i don't think Gonzales is a step up from royal... so why would we waste the money and picks?

Please tell me you're kidding?!?! If not, then you've lost any credibility with me.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
I totally agree that people should stop talking about JP in a trade. However, it is because he has no value and KC wouldn't want him, not because we NEED him if Trent goes down. If Trent goes down for a long period of time, our season is over anyways, so let's not stretch it to seem like JP can keep the ship afloat...HE CAN'T!

Im so sick of seeing his name at this point. People need to just get over it. We are stuck with the guy until the end of this year.

No, I don't think he can win games for us. I also don't think many other backups could either.

The Bills were smart enough to stay away from a vet as our backup. I think they learned during the Holcomb mess that they need to put there young guy in and stick with him. If he fails, they must go with another young guy, older backups are backups for a reason.

JP is nothing more than a backup, and a guy that cant win many for us. But I dont want some vet in here to come in and win and start the Edwards haters on a new crusade either. It would be nice if we had a backup who could manage the game enough to win a few, but not impress anyone enough to call for Edwards to be benched. We are in a situation where the rest of the units failed us as well, so it wouldnt of mattered who played as our backup QB.

Get a playoff caliper team (I hope wehave it) and then worry about winning games if your starting QB gets hurt.

Ingtar33
10-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Please tell me you're kidding?!?! If not, then you've lost any credibility with me.

have you watched him at all in the last 2 or 3 years?

he's not even their number 1 TE option in the offense... he plays maybe 40% of their offensive plays.

he's a shadow of his former self.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 12:09 PM

he's not even their number 1 TE option in the offense... he plays maybe 40% of their offensive plays.

he's a shadow of his former self.

His shadow can play better than most of the league at TE.

Ingtar33
10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
i doubt it. he looks pretty much done from what I've seen of him.

i think Royal is a far better blocker at the moment... a slightly worse receiver... but probably about the same overall when you factor in speed.

my point isn't that Gonzales can't help us... he might be able to help... it's that he isn't really an improvement over what we have.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 12:17 PM
i doubt it. he looks pretty much done from what I've seen of him.

i think Royal is a far better blocker at the moment... a slightly worse receiver... but probably about the same overall when you factor in speed.

my point isn't that Gonzales can't help us... he might be able to help... it's that he isn't really an improvement over what we have.

Well, at least right now, no 4th rounder or beyond can play at Tony's level.

Even if Tony was nothing more than solid (and Im not buying it), hes an upgrade to Schouman or Fine, and therefore an upgrade overall. Having 2 TE's is a very good thing.

And who knows (well many of us do :up:), maybe we get one helluva TE and he plays better than Royal and helps us a great deal.

PECKERWOOD
10-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Gonzalez is a very smart TE too, he could definately help Trent out upstairs.

TrEd FTW
10-12-2008, 05:32 PM

The last two or three years? Well, in 2006 he caught over 70 passes for nearly 1,000 yards. Last season he grabbed 99 passes (!) for 1,172 yards (!!). This season he has 21 catches in five games, which puts him on pace for over 60. His quarterbacks? Croyle, Huard and Thigpen, none of whom are anywhere near Edwards' level.

You're right. What a useless football player Tony Gonzalez is; he sucks.

Stewie
10-12-2008, 05:32 PM
A 2 te, 2 rb set with gonzo and royal bookending the line, lynch jackson/schouman in the backfield and james hardy split wide would be a real nice redzone set.

SeatownBillsFan21
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Saw this today on a rumor site looks more like if anything happens the Giants would land him but wouldnt mind giving up a 3rd for him hes still very good

October 12 New York Post "The Giants, who head into this weekend with the NFL's No. 1-ranked offense, are interested in trading for Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, according to reports. The Giants dealt Jeremy Shockey to the Saints during the offseason and have received little production from first-year starter Kevin Boss. Gonzalez, 32, has asked the Chiefs to explore trades. The deadline is Tuesday. According to reports, the Giants have offered a sixth-round draft pick, but the Chiefs want a third-rounder. The Packers, Eagles and Bills are also interested but the Giants may be the most interested. ."

X-Era
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Apparently Sirius is now saying Tony is headed out of KC.

Heres the BB.com message board rumor (I know, it makes me :rolleyes:), but maybe its true:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=86591

SquishDaFish
10-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Man do I wish

Typ0
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think a lot of people realize why our TEs don't get that many receptions. It's synonymous with the love fest with JP because he can throw the ball 80 yards in the air. It's exciting to watch that play so he must be good or going to be good some day. Well our TEs must suck because they don't get big catches. The truth is it's our offensive line that sucks which destroys the ability of the TE to catch the ball with any consistency. Even with an unheard of full back we still can't get a decent running game going. Pathetic and destructive to the TE catching balls. We need a pass catching TE like we need a hole in the head.

X-Era
10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't think a lot of people realize why our TEs don't get that many receptions. It's synonymous with the love fest with JP because he can throw the ball 80 yards in the air. It's exciting to watch that play so he must be good or going to be good some day. Well our TEs must suck because they don't get big catches. The truth is it's our offensive line that sucks which destroys the ability of the TE to catch the ball with any consistency. Even with an unheard of full back we still can't get a decent running game going. Pathetic and destructive to the TE catching balls. We need a pass catching TE like we need a hole in the head.

I dont agree man, but I respect your opinion.

Typ0
10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I dont agree man, but I respect your opinion.

thank you. And I respect yours. What do you disagree with though? Our need for a pass catching TE or the situation with our TEs? I could easily revise my statement to say we desparately need a pass catching TE but there is no room on the team for that until our desparate need for blocking TEs wanes :D. Once that happens, the guys we have might start looking a little more fan friendly too!

HHURRICANE
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM

I half agree with you here. If we get Gonzales for a third rounder than I think he improves the offense because he's another target. I think it's incremental at best.

ParanoidAndroid
10-12-2008, 10:52 PM
tony is all about tony... but most are i guess.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/sep/30/gonzalez_miffed/

It looks like he answered an interviewer who asked if he was disappointed. I can't blame him for wanting to do it in front of the home crowd and his family. I also don't think a short pass to the TE is all that chancy.

Typ0
10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
He should be downright pissed about this. He's got seniority over the staff. He's contributed to the franchise in a lot of ways. Not throwing him that football was a slap in the face. A big ***** slap.