PDA

View Full Version : I need to ask some of you a question

X-Era
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Why are so many so against trading a 4th round or later pick for a proven NFL player?

How many of our 4th round or later players have become anything more than marginal starters? Very very few.

This team has loads of cap room, and loads of youngsters. We have young backups at almost every positon.

Yet we have some here that want to hang on to draft picks like they are gold. All we are likley to get out of those picks is more young players. And they are likley to be backups early on at least.

I would rather trade a second day pick for a proven player who helps us now. We can always draft guys like Schouman or Fine. They are available in almost every draft.

Build through the draft? OK, I agree. But you dont need to get twice as many 2x4's then are needed to build the house. Invest a pick or two into proven players, even if you can only get a few years out of them.

I dont want to be the Patriots and sign every long in the tooth LB that hits the market, but a few vets sprinkled in only helps the cause.