PDA

View Full Version : Willis close to deal already

BigMike68
04-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Willis could be the #2 pick signed...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

MCGAHEE, BILLS ALREADY FLIRTING?

Three days after the Bills shocked the NFL world by picking Miami RB Willis McGahee in round one of the draft, it sounds like both sides already are maneuvering toward a contract.............

This would be great imagine him in camp on time just to lessen the chance of a McKinnie, Bryant, Ramsey fiacso. You gotta think not signing isn't gonna keep him from anythin, its not like he's out there already trying to start week 1 he's got the time.

SoCalBillsFan
04-30-2003, 08:10 PM
while this could be good, it risks overpaying for him too. WE dont let the market for picks set itself first. We could either save money or lose it by signing him so quickly.

Devin
04-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Hopefully he keeps in mind the risk we took.........

BigMike68
04-30-2003, 08:13 PM
C'mon socal it's TD here overpay? riiiiiight no way Willis gets a penny more than he's worth Rosenhose or not TD is a genius.

Lone Stranger
04-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Sign him ASAP before he thinks too much. A backloaded 6 year deal sounds good to me. Even if his salary is high in year six by that time we'll know if he's worth it.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Who cares!

Go Travis! I'm more concerned w/ what we'll do when Travis puts up near 2,000 yards, 18 TDs, and reduces his fumbling.

WG
04-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Let's draft the top WR next year! Oh boy!

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 08:56 PM
I love Henry....But if mcgahee becomes mcgahee again i feel we gotta dish henry for best of the team

WG
04-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Fine, but this season he isn't going to do anything. And if he does, that'll have meant that Henry and Gary will have failed which wouldn't be good. It'll also likely mean that we'll have had some serious OL injuries, which we had all better pray doesn't happen since we have hardly any depth.

All this fuss over McGahee should be postponed until next season. And then if we do trade Henry, I'm gonna be gasping every time McGahee doesn't get up right away.

Are we gonna talk about McGahee all season long even though Henry will be running fine and McGahee will be on PUP and not contributing?

Let's resume McGahee discussions this time next year. His getting significant playing time this year can only mean bad things for the team.

venis2k1
04-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Go Travis! I'm more concerned w/ what we'll do when Travis puts up near 2,000 yards, 18 TDs, and reduces his fumbling.

Wys posted this same statement last year, only with Shawn Brysons name replacing Travis's.

Schobel94
04-30-2003, 09:03 PM
That is true, Henry is our RB and he's a damn good one. McGahee hasnt even played a down and were talking of trading Henry? Once he shows it, which wont be for at least a year, then we can talk abotu him as if he were Barry Sanders and Emmit Smiths love child.

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
Mcgahee has game you cant deny that. but i still want to see him get a years rest to heal that leg and let TD make the choice he knows. if henry or A healthy mcgahee has the ball in there hand as a buffalo bill i really dont see a problem in that

WG
04-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but even if Henry has a fantastic season and we trade him, you're still gonna be holdin' your breath every single time McGahee doesn't get up right away or is carted off the field. Any such occurrence could end his utility. As a matter of fact, if he were to sustain even another minor knee injury for his fourth overall, he may very well lose enough to disallow him from playing to such a level as we are expecting.

BTW, if we trade McGahee, I wouldn't expect more than a single first rounder for him.

It's funny, b/c I suppose we'd have traded Holmes, Williams, or Tomlinson too, eh. Henry was in that category. Odd, very odd. With so many depth and starter issues on D, it is perplexing. Henry's more than enough to win a championship. If we don't win this year it's not gonna be b/c of our offense. It'll be b/c the middle of our secondary, LBing, and DEs aren't tight.

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 09:25 PM
holmes might not even play again or at that level again. well everytime henry takes a big shot i look at his Hands hoping the ball is still there. henry gets injured alot to not big injuries but he gets hurt so whats the diff ...i know Willis's knee might not be as strong thats why we give him that extra year to get it bulked up

WG
04-30-2003, 09:43 PM
Fine. But suppose Henry then has a 2,000 yard, 20 TD season while curing his fumbling issues and stays healthy. You gonna trade that away and rely on McGahee? That'd be very difficult for me to do as a GM. If we were to do that and all of a sudden McGahee ends his career w/ yet another injury, it will have gone down as one of the worst moves in the history of the team if not the NFL. Meanwhile, if we were to have kept Henry and McGahee played at a stellar level while Henry did too, the downside would be only nominal.

There's no way that you can blame a RB who played the way Henry did last year for the woes of the team.

However, if the fumbles become an argument, then that's fine, but then outta the same side of your mouth you gotta address Bledsoe's INT issues. He doesn't just throw them at inconsequential times. He tosses them at the most inopportune moments costing us games.

Games cost by Henry's fumbles: One (1)
Games cost by Bledsoe's TOs: Seven (7)

It's funny how everyone jumps on Henry for fumbling when hardly any of his fumbles cost us games, but Drew's INTs don't seem to matter at all even though all 15 of them were in 7 losses coupled w/ 3 of his 4 fumbles as well.

It makes no sense.

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 09:47 PM
Well its Diff Fumbles and Interceptions.....if were down the chances of henry fumbling are not likely but the chances bledsoe throws a INT are higher Defenses could sit back in pass defense and just have the Dline rush him so sometimes he had to take chances not all chances work out. he helped us win games with that arm but he helped us loose games. And he didnt Cost the bills games the bills cost themself games. Not playing D, making mental errors its a team game. one person cant go out and win it.

mikemac2001
04-30-2003, 09:49 PM
O also QB's usally throw More int's then there RBs fumble and espically with the offense we had and always having to come back like i said. but about the point about trading henry if he had 2000 and 20 td's i dont know how you could trade him but if you did you get a **** load for him and if mcgahee can be a 1500 15 td man and we get 2 1st and maybe something else i would take that wouldnt you???? 500 yards or 3 potential Starters....????

Tatonka
04-30-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

Wys posted this same statement last year, only with Shawn Brysons name replacing Travis's.

:lol:

i think the same thing every time i see wys repeat himself over and over .. like he did with bledsoe..

he is infactuated with henry at this moment... just like he was infactuated with bryson last year... he named 100 reasons why henry sucked and bryson was the next coming of christ.. and he will do the same thing for mcgahee when it suits his fancy..

i just skim through it and giggle:fartdie:

kgun12
04-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Wys I couldn't agree with you more on every point. I think TD has made so many GOOD moves for this team, that people are giddy with him and can't see this was a bad decision. Even if McGahee was 100% he WAS NOT a need for this team. Period end of story. We could have taken a TE, traded the pick or even picked Kelsay here, than we could have taken best available at every round. BTW nobody will be able to convince me that McGahee was best available with that knee. Remember he may NEVER come back!

Tatonka
04-30-2003, 11:23 PM
kgun :twirl: wys

kgun12
04-30-2003, 11:49 PM
T thank you I would rather side with coomon sense than dance side with maybe's I hope and if he comes back.

You went off the edge when TD took the offer off the table for S. Adams, why cause we needed to make that positon better FOR THIS YEAR. Let me ask you a question, does MaGahee make us better this year ?

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by kgun12

You went off the edge when TD took the offer off the table for S. Adams, why cause we needed to make that positon better FOR THIS YEAR. Let me ask you a question, does MaGahee make us better this year ?

nope.. but i also feel like td improved this team enough via FA that the wm pick doesnt hurt that much.. iand i think he may pull off a couple more moves before it is said and done.

t is a risk.. no question.. big risk.. but i also love vegas.. and the movie rounders.. and collecting from my bookie from time to time :D

i honestly dont think that there was anyone else td wanted there.. he made the pick.. the pick is done.. it is not gonna change.. travis has moved on and so should we.. all the arguing in the world isnt gonna help now..

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 12:08 AM
and it may not help us now.. but it could help us with the second SB in a row in 2004 ;)

kgun12
05-01-2003, 12:16 AM
If you really think Henry is ok with this I hope you don't spend alot of time in Vages! I know one thing if WM doesn't work out and it come time to resign Henry in 05, do you think he will resign, I don't.

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by kgun12
I know one thing if WM doesn't work out and it come time to resign Henry in 05, do you think he will resign, I don't.

oh well.. life will go on..

henry could also get run over by a mack truck tomorrow... you just find another solution..

you can treat some people great and they wont come back.. winfield will be a prime example i think..

The_Philster
05-01-2003, 04:47 AM
I'm with Wys and kgun on this one. There seems to be a large number of the Ostrich Club lately...thinking that everything TD does is perfect.

Ð
05-01-2003, 05:43 AM
Holey mental masturbation, Batman. Just remember, Wys absolutely lovvvved Henry last season. ;)

The season can't start soon enough so we can all get proper perspective. What goes down on the field is what's important, all else is BS.

Earthquake Enyart
05-01-2003, 07:06 AM
To get back to the original topic, it does not surprise me that the deal is done or almost done. In taking this risk, you can bet TD touched all the bases and contacted the psycho agent to get the deal done pryor to the draft.

The more I think about picking McGehee, the more I like it. :up:

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I'm with Wys and kgun on this one. There seems to be a large number of the Ostrich Club lately...thinking that everything TD does is perfect.

your assuming that just because we dont all ***** about the moves publicly that we agree with it...

someone tell me really what the ostrich club is anyway..

:smoke:

Earthquake Enyart
05-01-2003, 08:01 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?threadid=8984

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 08:13 AM

that is funny..

Patrick76777
05-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Wys strikes again.

This guy is completely out of control. He’s all over the board. Let’s look at the facts.

First on making the pick for WM.
-our options at 23,
--then next best DE, Kelsey (didn’t we get him anyway?)
--A TE (in the first round, No thanks)
--The next best WR (not nearly the player WM is)
--Trade down (not going to happen, thin draft, it would have been tough)
IMO, it was a good pick.
Second on Henry’s feelings.
-WHO GIVES A FLYING S#IT, everybody was afraid to hurt PP’s feelings by putting the franchise tag on him. But we did it anyway and it worked like a charm.
-Am I the only one who likes the idea of an angry running back?
Thrid, On Trading Henry.
-Wys, Honestly, I want you to answer this. You believe that WM will not play a single down this season. That is a fact! Do you really think that TD would trade Henry away before his replacement was able to play a single down in the NFL. If you do, you’re crazier then I thought. It’s not going to happen.
-This trade talk is ridiculous. There’s nothing wrong with having 2 quality running backs on one team. (see my next point)
Fourth, the careers of NFL, running backs.
-I don’t know the exact number but the shelf live for a RB is probably about 3 years. These guys just don’t last. Here are the top 5 rushers for each of the last 5 seasons.

R. Williams
L. Tomlinson
P. Holmes*
C. Portis
T. Henry

P. Holmes
C. Martin*
S. Davis*
A. Green
M. Faulk*

E. James*
R. Smith
E. George
M. Anderson
C. Dillon

E. James
C. Martin
S. Davis
E. Smith*
M. Faulk

T. Davis
J. Anderson
G. Hearst
B. Sanders
E. Smith

Of a possible 25 different players, 19 different players appear on the list. Not a single player appears on that list for all 5 years. Not a single player appears on that list for any 4 years. And not a single player appears on that list for any 3 years. Only 6 RB’s have been in the top 5 in rushing twice in the last 5 years. And it’s an impressive list, E. Smith, E. James, C. Martin, M. Faulk, S. Davis and P. Holmes.

My point with all of this is that maybe we’ll be lucky and Henry will rush for 1200 yards for the next 6 years, but chances are he won’t. Nearly every great team in the history of the league has had a strong running game. Was the pick a risk? Without a doubt, but look at the possible gains from the pick. If this guy gets himself back to where he was, we may have one of the best running backs to come out of the draft in years. We’re talking Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas talent here. Guys like that don’t come around often.

What happens if the Raiders grab this guy at 31! Ten years, 16,000 yards, 100 TD’s and 3 Superbowl rings later, we’re kicking ourselves in the behind for not making that pick. Meanwhile, the TE we grabbed at 23 is on his 6th team playing ST’s.

Let’s just see how this plays itself out.

Patrick76777
05-01-2003, 08:48 AM
BTW, EE, I LOVE your new Sig. That was a great episode.

justasportsfan
05-01-2003, 08:50 AM
All I want is a damn SB win! If the drafting of WM pisses Henry so much that he get's fired up and proves that he is a great rb and wins a SB for us, I don't care what he does 2004 or 2005. Just win one before he leaves.

Alluro
05-01-2003, 08:58 AM
LMAO wys ! !! Henry approach 2000 yds? I really think he'll be lucky to match last years effort with the defenses really keying in on him. There is no more double team on the "other" WR so there will be an extra guy in the box to stop O'Henry.

lordofgun
05-01-2003, 10:21 AM
It's all speculation. I highly doubt this contract is anywhere close to being done.

Earthquake Enyart
05-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
It's all speculation. I highly doubt this contract is anywhere close to being done.

You don't know what you are talking about. TD knows all, sees all.

ArcticWildMan
05-01-2003, 11:25 AM
:blah:

Wake me up when it's opening day.

Patrick76777
05-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Here it comes.

cordog
05-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post. Ive been enjoying reading your posts the last few days. By the way wys, you were talking about Bledsoe's ints and Henry's fumbles

Bledsoe's INT % 2.5
Henry 325 carries, 11 fumbles, 3.4% thats pretty damn high

Yeah some of Bledsoe's ints came at inopportune times but to fumble that many times is very very scary.

lordofgun
05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Welcome aboard cordog!

lordofgun
05-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

You don't know what you are talking about. TD knows all, sees all.

Whatever, Mr. "Stars will sweep." :D

cordog
05-01-2003, 12:47 PM
thanks lordofgun, i love your possessed bledsoe, thats awesome

Earthquake Enyart
05-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun

Whatever, Mr. "Stars will sweep." :D

The only person who is right all the time is my ex. :snicker:

Nice stat cordog. :snicker: Better be wearing a cup.

DraftBoy
05-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
Yeah, but even if Henry has a fantastic season and we trade him, you're still gonna be holdin' your breath every single time McGahee doesn't get up right away or is carted off the field.

I dont know about you but I hold my breath everytime somebody gets carted off the field. Regardless your arguments are pointless, your saying stop the arguments. You want to stop them? Shut up. Like you said yourself it doesnt matter this year and McGahee (god forbid, at least in your opinion) may actually be ready say by week 10 and what happens if he beats out Travis Henry for the starting job. What are you gonna do then? Tuck your tail and become a Mcgahee fan after you back Travis for so long? You did the same thing last year with Bryson, we are all sick of it. Keep your negative opinions and stats to yourself for once and maybe we can all just watch and enjoy. It fruitless to bicker about it now. Travis Henry is our starting RB. WM is the future in almost everybody's eyes. If Travis goes and WM busts oh well, ***** happens. If he flourishes then wow TD is correct again.

HenryRules
05-01-2003, 02:53 PM
dude, use the ignore option if his posts upset you that much.

justasportsfan
05-01-2003, 03:34 PM
If Henry has 2000 yards and 20 td's we'll sell McGahee to the Redskins an let Jaded worry about it or a team that has a high pick. Henry stays. In the mean time let's not get ahead of ourselves.

DraftBoy
05-01-2003, 04:29 PM
No because sometimes he has an intellgent fact or two in his posts but what got me off on that rant was the simple fact that he calls for the argument to end when he himself continues to fight in it.

Throne Logic
05-01-2003, 04:43 PM
wishbone

why fight it

colin
05-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
dude, use the ignore option if his posts upset you that much.

I actually do have WYS on ignore, and just reading his posts in quotes shows me he has no freaking clue.

Billsouth
05-01-2003, 09:01 PM
we wont overpay him because we know what #23 made last year and the years before which certainly provides a great gauge. then TD justs adjusts that for the risk by decreasing the upfront money and lengthening the deal.

while rosenhaus is a true snake in the grass scumbag i think that WM is a good kid who wants to do the right thing.

what is interesting is that when WM was drafted he cried tears of joy because he genuinely was grateful for being the first RB picked and for the chance to play in the nfl. rosenhaus cried tears of joy because he recognized that he would get more of a fee from being a parasite. why does WM keep him around? i guess because he is pretty good.

mikemac2001
05-01-2003, 09:52 PM
This Picked Didnt hurt us it can only make us stronger. we still got the guy we might have drafted so its a free pick pretty much If it works out we trade henry for couple 1st if it doesnt we keep henry. i dont see a problem with either option. So lets all Stop complaining about the pick and give it until next year and lets see.

TigerJ
05-01-2003, 10:35 PM
I think Travis Henry versus Willis McGahee is going to be a controversy in the minds of fans at least untill one or the other departs the team. I can see both sides on the Bills decision to draft McGahee. Those who think it was a mistake have this very valid argument: Travis Henry had 1400 yards last year and could easily have several hundred more this year, not counting passing yardage. No matter how good McGahee is, how much more production can he reasonably have? Is the potential difference worth blowing a first round pick on the guy? Had there been a clear cut difference making player available in the draft at a need position when the Bills were picking, I probably would agree with that arguement. I don't think there was.

Mathis was probably a reach at #23. Kelly Washington not only has attitude issues, now it appears he could be a continuing injury risk at least to the extent McGahee is and maybe more so. Dallas Clark a difference maker? Probably not as long as Gilbride is in control of the offensive planning. William Joseph? I have a lot of respect for Ingtar's opinions. He suggested that Joseph would likely be a missfit in the two gap line system the Bills run. His enviable sack record asside, he is a flawed player who would likely have been exposed in Buffalo. It could be argued that Buffalo should have traded up for Haynes or McDougle. I can't say that arguement is wrong. However, I'm not sure how much better they are than Kelsay. Obviously, there was no Julius Peppers in this draft, no one even close. They could have traded down, but that would only have meant drafting more questions.

It may be a couple years before it becomes clear whether McGahee was a mistake or a TD masterstroke. It will prove a masterstroke if McGahee proves to be a top 2 or 3 running back in 2004 and beyond and Buffalo is able to trade TH for adraft pick in the top half of the first round, or the equivalent. That'll be a tough challenge but i think it could happen.

Tatonka
05-01-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I think Travis Henry versus Willis McGahee is going to be a controversy in the minds of fans at least untill one or the other departs the team. I can see both sides on the Bills decision to draft McGahee. Those who think it was a mistake have this very valid argument: Travis Henry had 1400 yards last year and could easily have several hundred more this year, not counting passing yardage. No matter how good McGahee is, how much more production can he reasonably have? Is the potential difference worth blowing a first round pick on the guy? Had there been a clear cut difference making player available in the draft at a need position when the Bills were picking, I probably would agree with that arguement. I don't think there was.

Mathis was probably a reach at #23. Kelly Washington not only has attitude issues, now it appears he could be a continuing injury risk at least to the extent McGahee is and maybe more so. Dallas Clark a difference maker? Probably not as long as Gilbride is in control of the offensive planning. William Joseph? I have a lot of respect for Ingtar's opinions. He suggested that Joseph would likely be a missfit in the two gap line system the Bills run. His enviable sack record asside, he is a flawed player who would likely have been exposed in Buffalo. It could be argued that Buffalo should have traded up for Haynes or McDougle. I can't say that arguement is wrong. However, I'm not sure how much better they are than Kelsay. Obviously, there was no Julius Peppers in this draft, no one even close. They could have traded down, but that would only have meant drafting more questions.

It may be a couple years before it becomes clear whether McGahee was a mistake or a TD masterstroke. It will prove a masterstroke if McGahee proves to be a top 2 or 3 running back in 2004 and beyond and Buffalo is able to trade TH for adraft pick in the top half of the first round, or the equivalent. That'll be a tough challenge but i think it could happen.

tiger.. that is one hell of a post.. i could not have said it any better myself.. i really couldnt have.. nice work.

Throne Logic
05-02-2003, 06:04 AM
TigerJ has it nearly on the nose. Except one minor detail toward the end of that post. TD did look to trade down, however, no one was interested in moving into the #23 spot. Why? Well, basically for the same reasons that Buffalo selected WM. No one else was worth that pick.

BillsFanInMass
05-02-2003, 07:05 AM
Sign him now and get a free agent reciever best available.