PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NFL Free Agents

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Lee Evans: 16 receptions, 432 yards, 2 TDs.
Josh Reed: 21 rec, 237 yds, 0 TDs.
James Hardy: 5 rec, 47 yds, 1 TD.
Robert Royal: 13 rec, 102 yds, 1 TD.

Just thought I would give an update on some Free Agent WRs and TEs mentioned on here before the season started:

Bryant Johnson (49ers): 13 rec, 178 yds, 1 TD. -- (Played in 6 games).
DJ Hackett (Panthers): 10 rec, 131 yds, 0 TDs. -- (5 games).
Ben Troupe (Raiders): 0 rec, 0 yds, 0 TDs. -- (0 games).
Darrell Jackson (Broncos): 4 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD. -- (2 games).
Brandon Lloyd (Bears): 15 rec, 249 yds, 1 TD -- (4 games).
Alge Crumpler (Titans): 7 rec, 61 yds, 1 TD -- (5 games).
Bubba Franks (Jets): 6 rec, 47 yds, 0 TDs -- (5 games).
Ben Utecht (Bengals): 9 rec, 57 yds, 0 TDs. -- (5 games).
Michael Gaines (Lions): 5 rec, 50 yds, 0 TDs. -- (5 games).
Justin McCareins (Titans): 8 rec, 132 yds, 0 TDs -- (5 games).
Ernest Wilford (Dolphins): 1 rec, 15 yds, 0 TDs. -- (3 games).
Jerry Porter (Jags): 1 rec, 6 yds, 0 TDs. -- (3 games).

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 02:47 AM
I really wanted to sign Alge Crumpler and Bryant Johnson before the season began (to short-term contracts).

B. Johnson looks pretty good so far, but Crumpler does not.

Random side note: The Bears got a great deal with Brandon Lloyd.

Night Train
10-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Still, overall it looks like we were wise to stay on the sidelines & not overpay.

bigbub2352
10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, i was pushing to sign half those guys especially Troupe and Johnson
So as i always state i will do i will gladly insert foot in mouth
But i still think we can do better than Reed and Royal

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah, i was pushing to sign half those guys especially Troupe and Johnson
So as i always state i will do i will gladly insert foot in mouth
But i still think we can do better than Reed and Royal

Reed has played well, and I think he is the ideal #3 WR to have. We need someone to step up as a #2, so to take some pressure off of Lee Evans. It seems like it will take Hardy another 2 years to develop.

And you're right about Royal. We need a #1 Tight End badly (maybe Gonzalez? maybe 2009 draft?).

Derek Schouman and Derek Fine can be #2 and #3 on the depth chart. Royal will not be a Bill next season.

mybills
10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Eric Moulds is a FA. :couch:

bigbub2352
10-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Reed has played well, and I think he is the ideal #3 WR to have. We need someone to step up as a #2, so to take some pressure off of Lee Evans. It seems like it will take Hardy another 2 years to develop.

And you're right about Royal. We need a #1 Tight End badly (maybe Gonzalez? maybe 2009 draft?).

Derek Schouman and Derek Fine can be #2 and #3 on the depth chart. Royal will not be a Bill next season.

Problem with Reed is his money he gets paid like a 2 and never scores, i understand his role, but he is invisible alot to
Just think we can do better, Hardy will be alot better as time is given to him
i would luv to have a solid vet with some size to compliment him and Evans, Reed at 5ft 10 is a big dissapointment in the redzone,

Royal is a joke at TE, as a number 1 i would luv him on the team as a 2, but he is just not the safty valve we need
Gonzo would be sick, an day 1 pick at TE would be needed in 09

BADTHINGSMAN
10-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Eric Moulds is a FA. :couch:

So is Andre Reed.

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Problem with Reed is his money he gets paid like a 2 and never scores, i understand his role, but he is invisible alot to
Just think we can do better, Hardy will be alot better as time is given to him
i would luv to have a solid vet with some size to compliment him and Evans, Reed at 5ft 10 is a big dissapointment in the redzone,

Royal is a joke at TE, as a number 1 i would luv him on the team as a 2, but he is just not the safty valve we need
Gonzo would be sick, an day 1 pick at TE would be needed in 09

You're saying you would like Royal as a #2 tight end, but don't you think a #3 WR is more valuable than a #2 TE? If I remember correctly, Reed and Royal are paid the same, and were both signed to 4 year, $10 million dollar contracts.

Like you said, we lack a legit #2 WR at the moment. Hardy needs time. If we had a #2, then Reed could fit the role of a #3, and $2.5 million per year for a slot receiver isn't bad (IMO). Reed has become dependable, and he's always moving the chains.

Your reason to bring in a vet is exactly why I wanted Bryant Johnson for the next 1-2 years. Johnson's agent wanted a 1 year deal with the Bills, but the Bills refused, and he ended up signing a 1 year deal with the 49ers instead.

Is Royal worth $2.5 million as a #2 Tight End?

bigbub2352
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
You're saying you would like Royal as a #2 tight end, but don't you think a #3 WR is more valuable than a #2 TE? If I remember correctly, Reed and Royal are paid the same, and were both signed to 4 year, $10 million dollar contracts.

Like you said, we lack a legit #2 WR at the moment. Hardy needs time. If we had a #2, then Reed could fit the role of a #3, and $2.5 million per year for a slot receiver isn't bad (IMO). Reed has become dependable, and he's always moving the chains.

Your reason to bring in a vet is exactly why I wanted Bryant Johnson for the next 1-2 years. Johnson's agent wanted a 1 year deal with the Bills, but the Bills refused, and he ended up signing a 1 year deal with the 49ers instead.

Is Royal worth $2.5 million as a #2 Tight End?

No not at all, he is worth league minimum on any other roster, we need to get serious about this position cause FINe and Schouman arent the answer either, Reed is making good money to produce first downs, i just think we can upgrade him at that money,but if we dont i am fine with him at number 3,

TE is a serious problem here and Royal is not worth the money, i want a day one pick like a 1st or 2nd round pick at TE next year

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
No not at all, he is worth league minimum on any other roster, we need to get serious about this position cause FINe and Schouman arent the answer either, Reed is making good money to produce first downs, i just think we can upgrade him at that money,but if we dont i am fine with him at number 3,

TE is a serious problem here and Royal is not worth the money, i want a day one pick like a 1st or 2nd round pick at TE next year

I agree. IMO, Reed's contract is about average. Not a steal at $2.5 million, but not bad either. There are several other players on this team not earning their paycheck.

You're right about TE being a serious problem. I didn't like the Derek Fine pick that much. It seems we have been drafting below-average TEs for years now. This is why I am hoping (although not counting on) the Bills trade a 3rd rounder for Gonzalez. Let's stabilize the position once and for all, for at least a few seasons.

bigbub2352
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree. IMO, Reed's contract is about average. Not a steal at $2.5 million, but not bad either. There are several other players on this team not earning their paycheck.

You're right about TE being a serious problem. I didn't like the Derek Fine pick that much. It seems we have been drafting below-average TEs for years now. This is why I am hoping (although not counting on) the Bills trade a 3rd rounder for Gonzalez. Let's stabilize the position once and for all, for at least a few seasons.

We can solve alot of our problems on Offense with upgrades to Center and TE
that being said would luv to grab a Center in this years draft that is a mauler not a ***** like folwer