PDA

View Full Version : Steelers To Stick With Bettis?

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-30-2003, 08:19 PM
In the wake of a draft that didn't result in a new tailback being added to the roster of the Pittsburgh Steelers, a league source tells us that the team likely will keep Jerome Bettis for one more year -- but at a reduced salary.

And based on ESPN's recent interview of Bettis, we suspect that he'll be so happy for the chance to stay in Pittsburgh that he'll gladly accept a restructured deal.

Still, the Steelers won't make a final decision on Bettis until after they have a full opportunity to monitor his health, fitness, and remaining skills. At 31, he's becoming downright ancient as tailbacks go. Coupled with an overall approach to moving the chains that is founded not on finesse and/or running out of bounds, Jerome has taken more than his share of physical poundings -- and any team would be wary at this point regarding his ability to keep going.

Also, the fact that the Steelers didn't draft a halfback doesn't mean that a new one won't be added. Guys like Ron Dayne and Thomas Jones likely will be available, either for a low-round pick in 2004 -- or for no compensation whatsoever. As June 1 approaches, other names could surface.

http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Cntrygal
04-30-2003, 09:22 PM
I know that he didn't get me the kind of points I needed for FFL. He ended up being benched most of the season.

Luisito23
04-30-2003, 11:02 PM
scooby