PDA

View Full Version : Scout.com - Bills offer third and fifth for TG

guy
10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
scout.com is reporting this. they also state giants and eagles could drive up the price.

camelcowboy
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Don't bother asking for a link it's a pay site. If anyone with a membership can confirm it? Doesn't pat write for them.

JJamezz
10-13-2008, 01:31 PM
To sum the article up...

* Bills offered a 3rd round pick in next years draft, KC wants a 2nd and a 4th

* Giants were offering a 6th, but now are willing to talk about a first day pick

* Eagles don't want the Giants to get TG, so they're in the mix as well

* KC also willing to trade LJ, with Steelers and Seahawks as potential suitors

* Author speculates Bills offering up Fred Jackson would then make sense, and that there may have been more to his disappearance from the bb.com roster and depth chart than a typographical error.. God I hope this isn't true..

* In other news.. NE apparently wants Huard back and is trying to make something happen there

I am all for acquiring TG, a 3rd and a 5th sounds fair.. but once the deal involves Fred Jackson it goes south for me REAL quick..

Bulldog
10-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Buffalo shouldn't offer any more than this.

billsburgh
10-13-2008, 01:34 PM
To sum the article up...

why would the steelers trade for LJ? They already have one of the best backs in Willie Parker and they drafted Mendenahall in the 1st this year, even though he's now on IR.

bigbub2352
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Fred Jackson is on the depth chart as well as the roster now, and i would do it for a 3rd and a 5th in a second

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
To sum the article up...

* Bills offered a 3rd round pick in next years draft, KC wants a 2nd and a 4th

* Giants were offering a 6th, but now are willing to talk about a first day pick

* Eagles don't want the Giants to get TG, so they're in the mix as well

* Author speculates Bills offering up Fred Jackson would then make sense, and that there may have been more to his disappearance from the bb.com roster and depth chart than a typographical error.. God I hope this isn't true..

* In other news.. NE apparently wants Huard back and is trying to make something happen there

I am all for acquiring TG, a 3rd and a 5th sounds fair.. but once the deal involves Fred Jackson it goes south for me REAL quick..

Thanks for posting!

A 2nd and a 4th for Gonzalez is pathetic. I would never do that trade. IMO, a 3rd rounder is fair, but no higher than that ...

The only way I see Fred Jackson being traded is if we trade a 3rd rounder and Jackson to KC for Gonzalez and LJ.

NC-BILLS44
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Acquiring Tony Gonzalez would help this offense immensely!! (A legit TE)
I hope it gets done!

justasportsfan
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
If we don't fix this OL , TG will end up having to block for Lynch as well.

Mr. Miyagi
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
The only way I see Fred Jackson being traded is if we trade a 3rd rounder and Jackson to KC for Gonzalez and LJ.
LOL now you're dreaming.

A 3rd for Gonzalez is fair. I would throw in a 6th if necessary.

That leaves Larry Johnson for Fred Jackson straight up. Are you insane?

First off, we don't need Johnson. All he'll do is create RB controversy. Marshawn is the undisputed starter here so we don't want to upset the apple cart.

Second, if we WERE to trade for TG and LJ it would have to be at least a 2nd rounder or more involved along with Fred Jackson.

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
If we don't fix this OL , TG will end up having to block for Lynch as well.

I kinda agree, but kinda disagree.

Having a legit TE to dump the ball to can help neutralize a pass rush. I think after this bye week, the O-Line will make adjustments and Peters will improve.

CUHATIN
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I can see a 3rd but not a 2nd and 4th!!!

jimbohastle51
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
bottom line is if we are going to be a playoff team or a deep playoff team (second or third round playoffs) it isnt a high second anyway. get it done! 2nd and 4th and play to jesus that gonzo is all that we need for a couple years

Oaf
10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Agreed. And that's pushing it IMO. Again, this happens only if we believe he can make a Stroud-like impact on our O. (thus similar trade value)

CUHATIN
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM
bottom line is if we are going to be a playoff team or a deep playoff team (second or third round playoffs) it isnt a high second anyway. get it done! 2nd and 4th and play to jesus that gonzo is all that we need for a couple years

I agree with you there, we are 4 and 1 and have a favorable schedule

lets get this deal done!!

CUHATIN
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Agreed. And that's pushing it IMO. Again, this happens only if we believe he can make a Stroud-like impact on our O. (thus similar trade value)

I belive he will be a HUGE impact and make our offense alot better!!!

He will be a instant go to guy for Trent!!

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
LOL now you're dreaming.

A 3rd for Gonzalez is fair. I would throw in a 6th if necessary.

That leaves Larry Johnson for Fred Jackson straight up. Are you insane?

First off, we don't need Johnson. All he'll do is create RB controversy. Marshawn is the undisputed starter here so we don't want to upset the apple cart.

Second, if we WERE to trade for TG and LJ it would have to be at least a 2nd rounder or more involved along with Fred Jackson.

Actually, I don't believe that we are even going to pull this trade off.

I don't even know where these Fred Jackson rumors started. I was only speculating that IF Fred Jackson was involved in a trade with KC, then Larry Johnson would come to us. Why else would we give up Jackson?

KC wants to purge their roster of high priced veterans, and I think there was a report posted in the NFL Zone that the Chiefs were shopping LJ.

For the record: I don't think we are going to pull off any trade. But if we do, it will be Gonzalez for a 3rd rounder and some change.

Mr. Miyagi
10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
For the record: I don't think we are going to pull off any trade. But if we do, it will be Gonzalez for a 3rd rounder and some change.
I agree with that. TG for 3rd and change would be about right. No other player exchanges in the deal.

jimbohastle51
10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
i really think this is going to get done. brandon is a different breed than we are used to. he actually has balls! people said stroud was done and he has been a beast. people said we overpaid mitchell and he has been exactly what we needed not too mention poz is blossuming from his learning from mitchell. and everyone forgets that mitchell was a chief for 5 years, maybe he has sold gonzo on this, we are 4-1 favorable schedule and really we are bad a$$ and that is not because i am a fan. look at our roster on offense and add gonzo. that IS championship caliber when our O-Line starts clicking again soon.

CUHATIN
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
yahoo says the Packers are interested also!!

Lexwhat
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
i really think this is going to get done. brandon is a different breed than we are used to. he actually has balls! people said stroud was done and he has been a beast. people said we overpaid mitchell and he has been exactly what we needed not too mention poz is blossuming from his learning from mitchell. and everyone forgets that mitchell was a chief for 5 years, maybe he has sold gonzo on this, we are 4-1 favorable schedule and really we are bad a$$ and that is not because i am a fan. look at our roster on offense and add gonzo. that IS championship caliber when our O-Line starts clicking again soon.

Tom Donohoe had balls too. They were just old and wrinkly.

Mr. Miyagi
10-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Tom Donohoe had balls too. They were just old and wrinkly.
Donahoe was a fantasy football player. He was enamoured with big names regardless of their production and how they may or may not fit with the team.

:monkeyp:TD

jimbohastle51
10-13-2008, 02:05 PM
yahoo says the Packers are interested also!!

of cource they are.... they suck LOL!!! and there coach and GM are fixing to loose there jobs if it doesnt get turned around before favre throws his 30th TD LOL!!! mr. thompson is an idiot... i dont want big name guys like randy moss and crap.... man when he makes a mistake (like trading away one of the best QBs ever still in there prime apparently) he sure backpedals huh LOL!!! hell they would probably sign jerry rice right now if he wanted to play.

Mr. Pink
10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when Gonzo is still a Chief after the trade deadline passes.

jimbohastle51
10-13-2008, 02:10 PM
he may be if they stick 2 wanting a 1st rounder

Mad Bomber
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
If they want a 2nd and 4th, TG will probably retire a Chief.

Sjohnson4Roty
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Come on Front office get this done!

Patrick76777
10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when Gonzo is still a Chief after the trade deadline passes.

Why?

Because people are excited for this possible news? And you want to see them upset that it didn't happen? That's a nice attitude to have.

justasportsfan
10-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Why?

Because people are excited for this possible news? And you want to see them upset that it didn't happen? That's a nice attitude to have.
he's a browns fan.

Goobylal
10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
he's a browns fan.
My condolences.

Patrick76777
10-13-2008, 02:28 PM
he's a browns fan.

I know him and he's also a Bills fan.

It was just a s#itty thing to say. I mean it's a message board for the fans of the team and we're being mentioned as the front runner for one of the best Tight Ends in the league and because he has a "feeling" that it won't happen, he can't wait until it doesn't so that he can see us all upset tomorrow.

Well guess what, I'd love to see this go down and I'm checking in all day for updates, because if it does go down it's a HUGE addition to our team, but if it doesn't go down, we'll just keep chugging along. But to not get excited about the chances of this happening, esp when we're being rumored as the favorites, is silly.

DraftBoy
10-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Price is too high and going to get higher. I'd pull out of this deal.

Dr. Lecter
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Stay in it, but don't go too high. There is nothing to lose by staying interested.

I am not sure they will get a 2nd+ for him.

Patrick76777
10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

And this guy is apperently in the KC war room. He knows what the price is?

This is can't miss Internet in this place today.

justasportsfan
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
I know him and he's also a Bills fan.

It was just a s#itty thing to say.I mean it's a message board for the fans of the team and we're being mentioned as the front runner for one of the best Tight Ends in the league and because he has a "feeling" that it won't happen, he can't wait until it doesn't so that he can see us all upset tomorrow.
so why would a bills fan have a crappy attitude towards the bills then?

Maybe he's a browns fan first and a bills fan 2nd?

patmoran2006
10-13-2008, 02:34 PM
The Bills reportedly are offering a 3rd and a 5th, but will not go higher and get into a bidding war.

Personally, I would do what it takes within semi-reason to get him.. THis guy will put this offense on the map in a big, big way. And Trent Edwards will love it.

ajsdx
10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
so why would a bills fan have a crappy attitude towards the bills then?

Maybe he's a browns fan first and a bills fan 2nd?

There are lots of bills fans with crappy attitudes towards the bills. you know that.

Patrick76777
10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
There are lots of bills fans with crappy attitudes towards the bills. you know that.

The Bills fans doubting this are the type of people who are deadly afraid of being let down. It's easier for some people to doubt then it is to believe and be let down.

Michael82
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
The Bills reportedly are offering a 3rd and a 5th, but will not go higher and get into a bidding war.

Personally, I would do what it takes within semi-reason to get him.. THis guy will put this offense on the map in a big, big way. And Trent Edwards will love it.
I'm willing to do a conditional 2nd round pick if it gets us to host the playoff game.

THATHURMANATOR
10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Why?

Yay Tom why?

yordad
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I know him.My condolences.

Slim
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Here's a thread from Buffalobills.com reporting that espn radio said the bills are the frontrunners...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=86972

Mr. Miyagi
10-13-2008, 02:53 PM
One thing we must consider is Kansas City's motivation to trade the guy out of the conference. I think if it's down to the Giants and Eagles and Bills and the offers are very similar, I'd rather have him to an NFC team.

That's why if we want him I think we have to bid even higher than everyone else. I'd be okay with a 2nd.

FlyingDutchman
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
lets hope TG can help Peters with his piss poor pass blocking, or Fowler with his piss poor everything....

Michael82
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
One thing we must consider is Kansas City's motivation to trade the guy out of the conference. I think if it's down to the Giants and Eagles and Bills and the offers are very similar, I'd rather have him to an NFC team.

That's why if we want him I think we have to bid even higher than everyone else. I'd be okay with a 2nd.
So would I. He makes this team that much better..... :up:

jamze132
10-13-2008, 02:55 PM

What does KC care if TG stays in the AFC? By the time they are competitive, he will be retired.

Mr. Miyagi
10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
What does KC care if TG stays in the AFC? By the time they are competitive, he will be retired.
True, but I don't think they think that.

patmoran2006
10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I dont know anything about a 5th rounder. But I can confirm that Nick Ethan, a 'colleague" of mine on the scout.com network, who I do NOT know personally, is reporting on the record that the Bills have offered a third rounder to Kansas City.

I'll say this about scout.com as well. Coming from a contributing writer, a lot of stuff is screened by higherups before it gets posted. So unlike many other rinky dink football sites, rarely does a story get published without some substantiation.

casdhf
10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Your articles seem to get posted though :ill:

shelby
10-13-2008, 03:14 PM
i have a feeling TG will go to the Giants. Not to pee in anyone's cornflakes.

i do not condone the idea of offering up Freddy Jackson!

Michael82
10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
i have a feeling TG will go to the Giants. Not to pee in anyone's cornflakes.

i do not condone the idea of offering up Freddy Jackson!
You're pissing on my Flutie Flakes. :mad:

Dr. Lecter
10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I would **** on Flutie Flakes.

Michael82
10-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I would **** on Flutie Flakes.
:rofl:

Mr. Pink
10-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Yay Tom why?

Trades in the NFL are extremely rare.

Their asking price is too high - first day pick, pfft.

TG is a player on the decline.

With all these factors, they'll have a hard time moving him.

camelcowboy
10-13-2008, 06:13 PM

With all these factors, they'll have a hard time moving him.Gonzalez on a rascal is better TE by far then anyone on our roster.

jamze132
10-14-2008, 03:05 AM

With all these factors, they'll have a hard time moving him.
It's not so much as hard to move a guy as it is hard for the other team to come to terms with losing draft picks for the player they receive.

NE stole Moss for a 4th rounder. That was definetly an awesome trade on their part as Moss will contribute more over the next 3-5 years than 90% of 4th round picks.

If we traded a 3rd for Gonzales, I say it's worth it fo the simple fact that it will give this team a huge advantage, especially in the redzone and the return on that investment is immediate, much like the Moss trade, instead of waiting a few years for that pick to pan out, if he does at all.

I am all for trading certain picks for established performers. You don't know what you are going to get in the draft but when you have the opportunity to go get Tony Gonzales for a 3rd round draft pick, you go get Tony Gonzales. I seriously hope Buffalo isn't doinking around trying to only give up a 4th.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2008, 03:14 AM
It's not so much as hard to move a guy as it is hard for the other team to come to terms with losing draft picks for the player they receive.

NE stole Moss for a 4th rounder. That was definetly an awesome trade on their part as Moss will contribute more over the next 3-5 years than 90% of 4th round picks.

If we traded a 3rd for Gonzales, I say it's worth it fo the simple fact that it will give this team a huge advantage, especially in the redzone and the return on that investment is immediate, much like the Moss trade, instead of waiting a few years for that pick to pan out, if he does at all.

I am all for trading certain picks for established performers. You don't know what you are going to get in the draft but when you have the opportunity to go get Tony Gonzales for a 3rd round draft pick, you go get Tony Gonzales. I seriously hope Buffalo isn't doinking around trying to only give up a 4th.

Say it is only a 3rd round pick we give up to get him...

A 3rd round pick can be a cornerstone player and contributor to your team for 5-7 years, if not more. Just look at Trent here, if he can stay healthy, he should be around for the next 5 years...if not more.

Meanwhile TG probably only has a shelf life of 3 years. He's already showing signs of slowing down and is in no way the player he was even 3 years ago. Is he better than what we have? Definitely. But is he a guy that's gonna be a huge difference maker? I'm not sure about that. 3 years ago, it's a different story but who cares about then when trying to win now. Sure 20 years ago we can all go brag that we once had a HOF TE on our roster, I guess.

And what I was saying about trades being so very rare at the deadline is there isn't as much time to haggle about picks or players involved in the deals like in the offseason. Teams tend to overvalue their own an want to hold out for the best possible offer. When you're giving yourself a week to make the deal, you're short changing yourself on what the best offer is. Hence why trades rarely get down at the deadline.

I'm doubting they're able to trade him for the reason they overvalue him and want too much. Tight End is not exactly a premium position in the league and the guy they have has lots of wear on him at this point in his career.

Would I be upset if he traded for him? Definitely not. But I won't be jumping for joy right after it's announced either.

jamze132
10-14-2008, 03:49 AM
Say it is only a 3rd round pick we give up to get him...

A 3rd round pick can be a cornerstone player and contributor to your team for 5-7 years, if not more. Just look at Trent here, if he can stay healthy, he should be around for the next 5 years...if not more. You ever heard of Tim Anderson? Wasn't he a third round pick? My point is you don't know what you are getting in the draft. You KNOW what you are getting in Tony Gonzales.

Meanwhile TG probably only has a shelf life of 3 years. He's already showing signs of slowing down and is in no way the player he was even 3 years ago. Is he better than what we have? Definitely. But is he a guy that's gonna be a huge difference maker? I'm not sure about that. 3 years ago, it's a different story but who cares about then when trying to win now. Sure 20 years ago we can all go brag that we once had a HOF TE on our roster, I guess. We are trying to win now. He will get us closer to the light at the end of the tunnel than Robert ****ing Royal. I will gladly give up a late 3rd round pick for a guy who can step right in and show some people a thing or two.

And what I was saying about trades being so very rare at the deadline is there isn't as much time to haggle about picks or players involved in the deals like in the offseason. Teams tend to overvalue their own an want to hold out for the best possible offer. When you're giving yourself a week to make the deal, you're short changing yourself on what the best offer is. Hence why trades rarely get down at the deadline. I agree.

I'm doubting they're able to trade him for the reason they overvalue him and want too much. Tight End is not exactly a premium position in the league and the guy they have has lots of wear on him at this point in his career.

Would I be upset if he traded for him? Definitely not. But I won't be jumping for joy right after it's announced either. I would try to suck myself off!

Dude, we are fans of the Buffalo Bills. Good things rarely happen to us. Tony would be a good thing.