PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Royal

northernbillfan
10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
With all this talk about TG I am wondering if everyone has given up on Royal. He is on track to shatter last years numbers. He is a tough as nails TE who can block and get open in the middle for the tough yards that's expected of TEs.

The TE position is one of the toughest in the game and Royal seems to be getting his groove now. Why disrupt this with Gonzales?

Just throwing this out there for discussion.

raphael120
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Getting his groove? AKA key fumble and stupid drive killing penalties.

mybills
10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Royal is doing much better this year. Bringing in TG is extra better..but I don't think he's coming here. Royal has come a long way and people got mad at that one play so they want him gone. :rolleyes:

northernbillfan
10-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Getting his groove? AKA key fumble and stupid drive killing penalties.Everyone makes the odd mistake.

Nighthawk
10-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Given up on Royal? Doesn't that mean that you had high hopes for him at some point in time? This guy is average...at best! He brings nothing to the table, thus this is why so many people would love to get Gonzo.

mybills
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
An occasional fumble is nothing compared to his rookie mistake of not getting both feet down in the end zone..and he doesn't do that anymore, does he!

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Royal is the classic case of a very good #2 and a mediocre #1. As a #2, he brings blocking ability and leadership as well as the ability to be an occassional receiver.

I do love him at #2 though.

madness
10-14-2008, 12:17 PM
With all this talk about TG I am wondering if everyone has given up on Royal. He is on track to shatter last years numbers. He is a tough as nails TE who can block and get open in the middle for the tough yards that's expected of TEs.

The TE position is one of the toughest in the game and Royal seems to be getting his groove now. Why disrupt this with Gonzales?

Just throwing this out there for discussion.

I still haven't given up on Royal just yet but he's been an above average blocking TE and a sub-avg receiving TE for most of his career. If anything, Royal needs someone like TG to help mentor him in the passing game so that he can become a complete TE. Either way, there's no doubt Royal is essentially still finding his way.

TE depth obviously isn't the greatest either. We have Royal and two very raw prospects. If we add TG, I think Royal will thrive in the #2 spot and Schouman and Fine will benefit from watching one the best pass catching TE's in NFL history.

Lexwhat
10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
To me, Royal is like Fowler, and I expect nothing good out of him.

When the season began, I decided to give everyone a chance (even Fowler), because we finally had some stability.

But Royal, Fowler, Schobel, and Ellison have not exceeded my already low expectations for them.

raphael120
10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Everyone makes the odd mistake.

It's quite the opposite...he may make the odd clutch play.

most of the time he is mediocre and hurts the team more than helps, aside from a good blitz pickup and a 6 yard catch here and there, he's worthless.

Lexwhat
10-14-2008, 12:23 PM
It's quite the opposite...he may make the odd clutch play.

most of the time he is mediocre and hurts the team more than helps, aside from a good blitz pickup and a 6 yard catch here and there, he's worthless.

This is dead-on.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Everyone makes the odd mistake.

the odd mistake? Are you kidding me? Royal cost us at least two games over the last few years- he missed the block on Freeney that led to a fumble and couldn't keep his feet in bounds on that TD catch (I think it was against Tennessee). This guy makes a TON of mistakes at the worst possible times and has consistently proven that he does NOT keep his head in the game. He's neither a blocking TE nor a receiving TE because he's mediocre at both. The guy is another one of Marv's 2nd tier free agents who can't get the job done.

Are we really even discussing this? TG is an instant upgrade over Royal. I'm not saying the Bills should give up too much to get him, but this one's not even close.

eddiehaskill
10-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Take out the first game and his remaining stats in the last 4 games are garbage.

7 catches for 50 yards and a fumble....in 4 games! not really record shattering stats

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Royal is garbage. Period. He can't block, can't catch, can't keep his feet in bounds. When he does manage to catch the ball, he fumbles it carelessly. I can honestly say that anyone who defends Robert Royal as a Bill is either related to him, or Robert Royal himself.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
the odd mistake? Are you kidding me? Royal cost us at least two games over the last few years- he missed the block on Freeney that led to a fumble and couldn't keep his feet in bounds on that TD catch (I think it was against Tennessee). This guy makes a TON of mistakes at the worst possible times and has consistently proven that he does NOT keep his head in the game. He's neither a blocking TE nor a receiving TE because he's mediocre at both. The guy is another one of Marv's 2nd tier free agents who can't get the job done.

Are we really even discussing this? TG is an instant upgrade over Royal. I'm not saying the Bills should give up too much to get him, but this one's not even close.

I have to agree with Opi on this one.

mybills
10-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Royal cost us at least two games over the last few years
There you have it..let's fire him.

PECKERWOOD
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Royal is very serviceable at TE, he is just no Tony G.

jamze132
10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
What is wrong with Royal?

:rofl:

For one, he's no Tony G. And if you can get Tony G. to replace Robert Royal, you get Tony G.

But seriously, if Royal was worth an ass tulip, Buffalo wouldn't even have been mentioned in the same breath has KC and Tony G.

evol4276
10-14-2008, 01:08 PM
uh oh.. prepare to get slammed!

Mudflap1
10-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm.... Robert Royal, or the most prolific tight end in NFL history? Let's think about this one for a minute.

Wait a minute.... Dr. Lecter is right. How about both?!? What a concept. Gonzalez is a huge upgrade, and Royal is a solid #2 guy.

But these NFL midseason trades never happen.

Jon

trapezeus
10-14-2008, 02:16 PM
royal seemingly never has his head in the game. his fumble in arizona. it was a first down play. why was he reaching out for more yards?

Obviously the titans foot call is easily remembered.

he also has a case of the dropsies. this usually comes from him looking up to do more than just catching the ball.

He's a great backup to TE. he's not a real dependable guy. i think QB's lose faith in receivers and throw to them less often. and when they do, they try to finesse it in because you don't want them dropping it. that kind of over thinking can kill the play.

but like i said somewhere else, royal is apparently really well liked in the locker-room and he adds some sort of non-stat value to a young team.