PDA

View Full Version : Shefter: Bills DID NOT offer a 3rd

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
1- WTF. I been trying to get on this board for 40 minutes to report news. Keeps crashing.

2- I have listened to 810 in KC ALL AFTERNOON long, including the Edwards press conference at 4pm.

3- I have NEVER, EVER EVER heard radio talk show hosts AND fans blast someone like I've heard Peterson get killed today for not trading Gonzo.

4- Last and certainly not least per Adam Schefter.. The final two in the Gonzo deal was the Eagles and the Giants.. NOT The Bills.

The Eagles only offered a 6th rounder and the best offer the CHiefs received was from the Giants, which was a fourth rounder.. Peterson turned it down and said he wouldn't part for anything less than a third.

The Bills did NOT offer a 3rd or a 4th rounder for Gonzalez, if they offered anything at all. It was said that a player like Gonzalez did "not fit the Bills business model". Hmmm I wonder who that quote could've came from.

gr8slayer
10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical.

shelby
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
RALPH IS CHEAP!!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Slim
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
1- WTF. I been trying to get on this board for 40 minutes to report news. Keeps crashing.

2- I have listened to 810 in KC ALL AFTERNOON long, including the Edwards press conference at 4pm.

3- I have NEVER, EVER EVER heard radio talk show hosts AND fans blast someone like I've heard Peterson get killed today for not trading Gonzo.

4- Last and certainly not least per Adam Schefter.. The final two in the Gonzo deal was the Eagles and the Giants.. NOT The Bills.

The Eagles only offered a 6th rounder and the best offer the CHiefs received was from the Giants, which was a fourth rounder.. Peterson turned it down and said he wouldn't part for anything less than a third.

The Bills did NOT offer a 3rd or a 4th rounder for Gonzalez, if they offered anything at all. It was said that a player like Gonzalez did "not fit the Bills business model". Hmmm I wonder who that quote could've came from.

UGH.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 03:49 PM
What it comes down to and im SURE details will come out public shortly, is that the Chiefs wanted a third and nobody would trade a third rounder.. The Giants (4th) had the best offer and it was rejected.

and like I said in another thread, I have NEVER in my life heard talk show hosts and fans blast a GM like I heard today..

Herm Edwards only gave 'one' word answers about Gonzo and said he doesnt plan to talk to him.

So just so its publicly known; the Bills did NOT offer a 3rd.. Had they decided to do so, he'd be a Bill right now. He didnt fit into our team business-wise.

Im pumped we got Evans locked up, but there was plenty more wealth to share.. This is what happens when you have this kind of owner, who's primary goal, even into his 90's, is the bottom line, not Lombardi trophies.

Translation: Wilson blew his wad on Evans. The rest of that cap money and extra revenue is getting pocketed.. Straight up..spin it anyway you like (homers)

gr8slayer
10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
RALPH IS CHEAP!!!!!!

:sarcasm:
Not cheap, we've been over this. The man is just football stupid, not cheap.

Devin
10-14-2008, 03:51 PM
Same old Bills. God how typical.

SABuffalo786
10-14-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm not sure he's much more than a figurehead right now when it comes to football decisions.

I think Russ Brandon is terrific but I'm kind of pissed we played this so conservative after the splashes we made in free agencey this summer.

You wouldn't give up a 3rd to blow the AFC wide open? REALLY???

This would've absolutely put us over the top and it's dissapointing we didn't take the initiative to make it happen.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 03:53 PM

No.. This is not FOOTBALL STUPID.. My 5-year old son knows that Tony Gonzalez with a half leg is twice the TE RObert Royal is.

It's about money, nothing more.. Nothing less. We will spend up to a certain amount of money each year, and then that's that.

We locked up Evans. I dont think we would've taken Gonzo for a bag of slim jims if we had to pay him.

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY who has the gall to say that this trade did not happen because of a "football move" sincerely needs to take their heads out of the sand. This was a business non-move.

zone
What a joke, you would think the old man would do anything it took to win 1 Superbowl before he is 6 feet under.

Forward_Lateral
What I find funny is this is all hearsay. Some posters are saying that Shefter reported that Gonzo rejected a trade to Buffalo, and others are saying that the Bills never offered anything.

It's hard to believe anything, when it's all hearsay, and apparantley Shefter is reporting multiple things.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 03:56 PM
No.. This is not FOOTBALL STUPID.. My 5-year old son knows that Tony Gonzalez with a half leg is twice the TE RObert Royal is.

It's about money, nothing more.. Nothing less. We will spend up to a certain amount of money each year, and then that's that.

We locked up Evans. I dont think we would've taken Gonzo for a bag of slim jims if we had to pay him.

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY who has the gall to say that this trade did not happen because of a "football move" sincerely needs to take their heads out of the sand. This was a business non-move.
That's crap.

The cheapness thing has been disproven more times than the existance of WMD's.

If Ralph is cheap about this then so are the Eagles, Gaints, Bucs, Packers and a total of 31 NFL teams.

If you think it is easy to give up a 3rd for a guy who is only playing one or (at most) two more years your Ralph hating head is in the sand.

While I would have made the move, I do understand why it was not done.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM

So apparently the Eagles and Giants are cheap too because they wouldn't meet what the Chiefs wanted for someone who is on the decline in his career, yet still better than the options they have today at the position, right?

Gonzo > Smith, Boss and Royal...I'd assume you share that opinion, yes?

So that means the Giants and Eagles are also cheap by your logic.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
That's crap.

If Ralph is cheap about this then so are the Eagles, Gaints, Bucs, Packers and a total of 31 NFL teams.

If you think it is easy to give up a 3rd for a guy who is only playing one or (at most) two more years your Ralph hating head is in the sand.

I agree. 31 other teams are cheap because they wouldn't trade a 3rd.

patmoran2006
Here is the KC link if you want to listen to GOnzo talk.. and feel free to call in yourself and ask about Shefter's source that said the Giants offered the best trade with a 4th rounder.
http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4stnr...ayer.php?id=WHB (http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4stnrd/audio_player.php?id=WHB)

gr8slayer
I'm not sure he's much more than a figurehead right now when it comes to football decisions.

I think Russ Brandon is terrific but I'm kind of pissed we played this so conservative after the splashes we made in free agencey this summer.

You wouldn't give up a 3rd to blow the AFC wide open? REALLY???
You might have a point there about Brandon having a bigger role now. But still, Wilson is the owner and has the ultimate word, this should have been a no brainer.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
So apparently the Eagles and Giants are cheap too because they wouldn't meet what the Chiefs wanted for someone who is on the decline in his career, yet still better than the options they have today at the position, right?

Gonzo > Smith, Boss and Royal...I'd assume you share that opinion, yes?

So that means the Giants and Eagles are also cheap by your logic.
Smith and Boss have talent and upside.

Royal is a turd.

I can't fathom a football minded person in our front office saying Gonzo wasn't worth a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, so that leads me to think it was not done due to business.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Even if he only plays this year and next?

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
That's crap.

Our window to win is NOW and for the next 1-2 years. We have almost all our talent locked up for the next few years, and plenty of cap room to spend.

In a few years, guys like Poz, Lynch, etc etc will be free agents and if the Ralphie history is any indication, half of them or more will be gone.

It is easy to give up a 3rd when your LEADING your ****ing division and have a chance to do big things THIS YEAR..

Maybe thats the Bills problem. they dont kNOW HOW TO WIN.. For once, it would be nice to not worry about 2-3-4 years down the line and do WHATEVER it takes to give yourself the best chance to win THIS YEAR>

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Absolutely yes I make the trade even if he only had two years left on his deal..

How could you not? This is a team that can win THIS year.. Again, for once, ****ing GO FOR IT WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR SHOT. We already have plenty of "youth" for the future.

gr8slayer
10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, how big is our window to win a SB? That to me would be the determining factor, would it have been worth it if it meant getting into the playoffs this year? I would have gladly given up a third rounder to have a real shot at a SB.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
And BTW.. I would've been unhappy if the Bills had to pay the farm to trade for him, like Dallas did with Roy Williams.

But to find out that a 3rd would've gotten the deal done? That's freegin ABSURD we didnt get him..

Dr. Lecter
Well, how big is our window to win a SB? That to me would be the determining factor, would it have been worth it if it meant getting into the playoffs this year? I would have gladly given up a third rounder to have a real shot at a SB.

He does not give them a shot at the SB this year, imo.

If he did, I would agree.

Again, had the Bills been outbid I would agree with people. That was not the case. If you want to all the Eagles or Giants stupid or cheap, you have an argument. If you are blaming this on Ralph (with no evidence he had anything to say about this decision) and not seeing that there were exactly zero teams willing to give up a 3rd then you are going into the discussion with your mind made up.

Mr. Pink

Royal is a turd.

I can't fathom a football minded person in our front office saying Gonzo wasn't worth a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, so that leads me to think it was not done due to business.

Every tight end on your roster could be hurt and you're forced to go sign Brad Cieslak and Gonzo still ain't worth a third rounder anymore.

He's old, lost a step, doesn't block and has one or two more years left in the tank.

You don't mortgage your future for a one year quick fix flashy move.

Those are the moves that put your organization in trouble, haven't we as Bills fans already learned that lesson?

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Thank you.

we can and still may very well get in without him, but we were better with him than we are with Royal.. That alone is worth a 3rd rounder.

This FO is just used to having useless TE's.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 04:07 PM
And BTW.. I would've been unhappy if the Bills had to pay the farm to trade for him, like Dallas did with Roy Williams.

But to find out that a 3rd would've gotten the deal done? That's freegin ABSURD we didnt get him..

Dont't you think there is a reason why 31 teams thought he was not worth it?

And I won't even mention that there have been 47 different reports on what was offerred and what was not.

gil
10-14-2008, 04:07 PM

if the Bills made an offer of a draft pick, then doesn't that imply that we were willing to take on his contract?

maybe I'm missing something - I think I need it spelled out in ALL CAPS.

gr8slayer
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM
He does not give them a shot at the SB this year, imo.

If he did, I would agree.

Again, had the Bills been outbid I would agree with people. That was not the case. If you want to all the Eagles or Giants stupid or cheap, you have an argument. If you are blaming this on Ralph (with no evidence he had anything to say about this decision) and not seeing that there were exactly zero teams willing to give up a 3rd then you are going into the discussion with your mind made up.
Ok, a question:
- Are we a playoff team this year?

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Royal is a turd.

31 NFL Front offices disagree with you.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Every tight end on your roster could be hurt and you're forced to go sign Brad Cieslak and Gonzo still ain't worth a third rounder anymore.

He's old, lost a step, doesn't block and has one or two more years left in the tank.

You don't mortgage your future for a one year quick fix flashy move.

Those are the moves that put your organization in trouble, haven't we as Bills fans already learned that lesson?
I heard that about Bret Favre when he was traded to the Jets as well. .Old, washed up, lost a step.. one or two years left at the most.

Meanwhile, though people on here refuse to even acknowledge them, they are one game behind the Bills, and play the Chiefs, Raiders and Rams over the next four weeks sanwiched with a game against us.

Tony Gonzalez is worth a 3rd rounder, and 99% of the people here will agree. Gonzo at 65% of what he was is better than Royal's 100%.

if this was a team that SUCKED like the Chiefs do, I could see your point. But your blind if you say this isnt a playoff team in the making, and having a TE that could actually get open and catch the ball with consistency doesnt matter.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok, a question:
- Are we a playoff team this year?
AT this time...yes.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
31 NFL Front offices disagree with you.
no they dont.
The EAgles and Giants both made offers.. That's two.

SEveral teams, surely unlike the Bills, already have great or at least above average at TE, so why would they want to trade for another one?

SEveral other teams that suck have no reason for trading for Gonzo, as (again, they suck) it would do nothing to increase their chances of being a playoff team.

The Bills are different. They have a GOOD football team AND they have total **** at the tight end position. They also had plenty of cap room to spare so unlike many other teams (lets add them to the list to scratch off), cap room wouldn't be an issue.

Mr. Miyagi
The disappointing thing is, not only the compensation to the Chiefs was cheap (a 3rd), TG's contract is quite cap friendly as well. 1 million this year, 4 million next year, then we can restructure.

Why this wasn't done was absolutely rediculous.

Ebenezer
Tony Gonzalez is worth a 3rd rounder, and 99% of the people here will agree.

Dude....I don't know how else I can say this....

31 NFL front offices, people who get paid to do this for a living, many who have made the playoffs and at least five that have won Super Bowls disagree with you. 99% of the people you quote would not be in agreement with the NFL folks.

Do you get it now?

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:14 PM
If this was 2007 and the exact situation arose, when the Bills were going nowhere with or without a TE, then u dont give up a 3rd rounder.

But when you're 4-1, and the team that has OWNED your division for several years loses their franchise QB for the year, your leading the division, have a great shot at the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, and have all 6 of your division games ahead of you, when a hall of fame TE comes available for a 3rd rounder you take his ass.

Mr. Pink
I heard that about Bret Favre when he was traded to the Jets as well. .Old, washed up, lost a step.. one or two years left at the most.

Meanwhile, though people on here refuse to even acknowledge them, they are one game behind the Bills, and play the Chiefs, Raiders and Rams over the next four weeks sanwiched with a game against us.

Tony Gonzalez is worth a 3rd rounder, and 99% of the people here will agree. Gonzo at 65% of what he was is better than Royal's 100%.

if this was a team that SUCKED like the Chiefs do, I could see your point. But your blind if you say this isnt a playoff team in the making, and having a TE that could actually get open and catch the ball with consistency doesnt matter.

For one, there's a HUGE difference between having an upper echelon QB and an average QB. An upper echelon QB will win you a couple more games a year just on his own merits.

Now you go mediocre TE to good TE....how does this exactly change our team? Would our record be any different right now if we had Gonzo instead of Royal? No. How many more games do you honestly believe we would have won if we had Gonzo on the roster? I'm gonna go with none.

So, now, why would you make this move?

Comparing Favre to Gonzo is laughable at best and you know better.

Ebenezer
no they dont.

Yes, sorry. you are wrong. You insist that he is worth a 3rd and 99% would agree. NOBODY was willing to give the Chiefs that pick or the deal would have been done. Therefore, nobody agrees with you.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:15 PM
If this was 2007 and the exact situation arose, when the Bills were going nowhere with or without a TE, then u dont give up a 3rd rounder.

But when you're 4-1, and the team that has OWNED your division for several years loses their franchise QB for the year, your leading the division, have a great shot at the playoffs for the first time in 9 years, and have all 6 of your division games ahead of you, when a hall of fame TE comes available for a 3rd rounder you take his ass.
Would Gonzo be an upgrade in Miami or NE or for the Jets? They didn't make the trade in the "wide-open" AFC East. They don't agree with you or they don't care about winning. Take your choice.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Would Gonzo be an upgrade in Miami or NE or for the Jets? They didn't make the trade in the "wide-open" AFC East. They don't agree with you or they don't care about winning. Take your choice.

or they're cheap.

You forgot that.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Dude....I don't know how else I can say this....

31 NFL front offices, people who get paid to do this for a living, many who have made the playoffs and at least five that have won Super Bowls disagree with you. 99% of the people you quote would not be in agreement with the NFL folks.

Do you get it now?
Once again.. Why dont you eliminate the following.

1- Philly and Giants, who made offers.
2- Every team in the NFL that already has a good enough tight end that it wouldnt be worth a 3rd rounder to them for another tight end. You expect Dallas to want them when they have Whitten? SD with Gates? NO with Shockey when they gave up a 2nd to get him? SF with Vernon Davis? Would you like me to continue?
3- Every team that totally sucks and is in rebuilding mode, where having a player like Gonzo isn't going to help them win anything anytime soon. (Examples: Houston, Rams, Detroit, etc etc)

now are you still left wit 31 teams? How many you left with?
Name me ONE OTHER team in the NFL that is leading their division, and has the tight end position as one of their arguably two biggest weaknesses (along with center). Then still has the cap room to do it?

schubbard
10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
There is also the possibility that Gonzo didn't want to come here. Perhaps he isn't satisfied with Applebees. If the Bills were told that he wouldn't accept a trade here, why make an official offer? (I did see one source that said he had a no trade clause but I'm not sure if that was reliable...)

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:20 PM
or they're cheap.

You forgot that.
Well, you know the Jets. They'll pay $12 mil for a 40 year old QB but they have scruples, you know.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:21 PM

2- Every team in the NFL that already has a good enough tight end that it wouldnt be worth a 3rd rounder to them for another tight end. You expect Dallas to want them when they have Whitten? SD with Gates? NO with Shockey when they gave up a 2nd to get him? SF with Vernon Davis? Would you like me to continue?
3- Every team that totally sucks and is in rebuilding mode, where having a player like Gonzo isn't going to help them win anything anytime soon. (Examples: Houston, Rams, Detroit, etc etc)

Name me ONE OTHER team in the NFL that is leading their division, and has the tight end position as one of their arguably two biggest weaknesses (along with center). Then still has the cap room to do it?
I don't care if the number is 1. They didn't agree with YOU! It's so funny how the Bills are 4-1 and have never taken YOUR advice. Should they still have given Peters more money this offseason?

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Are you serious? Not every team, in fact none in our division need a TE.

Tony Fasano is tearing **** up in Miami.. Ben Watson is one of the best TE in the NFL who was hurt earlier.. and the Jets got THREE tight ends, including a first round draft pick this season.

NOt every GM in the league has a NEED at tight end.. WE did.. Or did Robert Royal suddenly get good.?

theanswer74
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Has anyone considered that the Bills like Robert Royal? The Bills have not even tried to replace him in any offseason.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM

Arizona, Tennessee, Denver, Tampa all could use a better TE.

All 4 of them lead their divisions and Gonzo would be an upgrade this year. And yes, you can not count Denver because it's the same division if you like.

Every team in the NFL can figure out how to squeeze another million to fit into their cap.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't care if the number is 1. They didn't agree with YOU! It's so funny how the Bills are 4-1 and have never taken YOUR advice. Should they still have given Peters more money this offseason?
Do you think Peters would be playing the way he is if he had gotten more money?

And the Bills have taken my advice, along with the advice of almost everyone on here, plenty of times.

But go put your head back in the sand and think Gonzo wasn't worth a third rounder, a LATE third rounder to this team right now.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Do you think Peters would be playing the way he is if he had gotten more money?

And the Bills have taken my advice, along with the advice of almost everyone on here, plenty of times.

But go put your head back in the sand and think Gonzo wasn't worth a third rounder, a LATE third rounder to this team right now.
Please stop, they have NEVER listened to you or me even once. Without the internet our voices are mute.

Oaf
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Can't wait for us to go BPA in round 3 and get a running back. :puke:

jimbohastle51
10-14-2008, 04:28 PM

Royal is a turd.

kinda have to agree with you here. smith has put up big numbers most of his career and has massive potential and boss has talent he is really, really young so they must like his upside.

blackonyx89
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM

The avatar of Ralphanezer Scrooge, pretty much sums up his inabilty to bring key quality talent to help the Bills win the BIG ONE, this goes all the way back to the Super Bowl years. He wants to get to win the BIG SHOW , but wants to do it on the cheap. This is his history and he is doomed to repeat it.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Arizona, Tennessee, Denver, Tampa all could use a better TE.

All 4 of them lead their divisions and Gonzo would be an upgrade this year. And yes, you can not count Denver because it's the same division if you like.

Every team in the NFL can figure out how to squeeze another million to fit into their cap.
Denver and Tampa Bay need a Tight end??????????????????????????

Philagape
10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't wait for us to go BPA in round 3 and get a running back. :puke:

Yeah, good thing we still had a third-rounder this year or we wouldn't have gotten Chris Ellis :phew:

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, good thing we still had a third-rounder this year or we wouldn't have gotten Chris Ellis :phew:

Or last year.

The Jokeman
10-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Or last year.
We can thank Willis McGahee for that. as we actually traded our third rounder in the deal that brought us Paul Posluzny. I have no issues going after a guy like Gonzalez as he'd open things in the middle as a viable receiving threat which help open up things for Lee on the outside. He's a definite upgrade to Royal in the passing game. I mean hell we gave up a 3rd and a 5th for a guy like Stroud who was a far riskier pick then Tony would appear to be. That said the question is did he want to come here or not.

baalworship
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I watched Adam on NFL network and he said something COMPLETELY different than what you are claiming.

He basically said that Gonzales DID not want to go to any team other than the Giants and Eagles and that another NFL team indeed offered a 3rd but was rejected because of Gonzales! So what my understanding is the Bills were not going to get Gonzales because he and Peterson only had a few cities that could put in bids.

SABuffalo786
10-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I watched Adam on NFL network and he said something COMPLETELY different than what you are claiming.

He basically said that Gonzales DID not want to go to any team other than the Giants and Eagles and that another NFL team indeed offered a 3rd but was rejected because of Gonzales! So what my understanding is the Bills were not going to get Gonzales because he and Peterson only had a few cities that could put in bids.

That makes it a little easier to swallow.

Too bad the KC game isn't in Buffalo so we could hurl abuse at him for it. :D:

DBrown77
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Why do people think 1 player will make us go all the way this year? Its funny how everyone always blasts the front office or chastises them, but when the decisions come out to be right 8 out of 10 times they are geniuses.

I would have loved TG but get over it, NO ONE GOT HIM

Lets move on to the Chargers

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Why do people think 1 player will make us go all the way this year? Its funny how everyone always blasts the front office or chastises them, but when the decisions come out to be right 8 out of 10 times they are geniuses.

best post about the topic.

Goobylal
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM

That's what I heard as well. I'm more inclined to believe that than "Buffalo didn't offer a draft pick at all."

But think about it this way: the Giants thought that a 2nd and 5th from the Saints was good compensation for Shockey. But all they would offer for Gonzalez, who is still a better player than Shockey ever was or will be, is a 4th rounder? Seems like Gonzalez isn't as highly regarded as some would have you think.

SABuffalo786
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM

Because he would've given us another lethal passing thread and would've made our offense not just good but elite.

yordad
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
1. Gonzo is healthy.

2. Last year he caught 99 passes for 1172 yards.

3. He is currently on pace for for 67 catches.

4. The Bills got 55 catches out of out of the TEs and H-backs combined last year.

5. He has missed 1 game his entire career.

6. He has 4 years left on his contract. The next 4 years pay 1, 4, 4.5, and 5.75 respectably, with none guaranteed.

7. Even if he was a cap casualty or retires prior to the 4th year, he is a huge immediate up grade. The value he would add to the team, would be more then any other team. If there was a reverse-MVP award, the Bills have like three positions on offense that arguable have the worst starters in the entire league (C, FB, TE).

8. In addition to the fact the Bills have been inept at the TE position for years, they have a young emerging QB, who would benefit greatly from a talented and experienced playmaker. As I heard someone else on here type the other day "Gonzo makes the Tight End a skill position."

9. How far are we under the cap? I think we could have spared the mil. Where does that extra money go?

10. I compare the value TG would bring to this team over the next years to the value of your average third rounder. And TG compares highly favorably, IMO.

11. That is an Expected value move I would have to make. All day.

Goobylal
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Here's another way of looking at it. The Chefs allegedly only got a 4th rounder as an offer, from the Giants. The Bills just traded McCargo to the Colts for a 4th rounder. So basically the Giants think Gonzalez is worth McCargo?

Meathead
10-14-2008, 09:15 PM
i heard the bills didnt sign gonzo to screw crowell over

HHURRICANE
10-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I gave the deal a 14% chance of happening. The Bills didn't off the 3rd that the Chiefs were coveting but we did trade our bust first rounder.

So all in all we are trying very hard to stay mediocre!!

Goobylal
10-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I gave the deal a 14% chance of happening. The Bills didn't off the 3rd that the Chiefs were coveting but we did trade our bust first rounder.

Even if you believe the Bills didn't offer a 4th rounder, much less a 3rd (which is possible), it sounds like Gonzalez didn't want to be in Buffalo anyway and/or Peterson couldn't bear to part with him. So essentially it was much ado about nothing. Gonzalez should have quietly told the Chefs "I want to play for only the Giants or Eagles, see if they'll trade for me" and left it at that. No one else would have had to know and get their hopes up. Now Gonzalez looks like a jerk and is still in the same crappy spot he was before. And now he realizes just how little trade value he has. I hope it was worth it.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Actually we don't know that. It sounds as if somebody offered a 3rd.

HHURRICANE
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM

Everything I've read is that the Bills wouldn't of even came in second for TG.

The point being that they worked harder to dump McCargo than they did trying to get a guy that could help the team.

How does getting rid of McCargo help us now??

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Everything I've read is that the Bills wouldn't of even came in second for TG.

The point being that they worked harder to dump McCargo than they did trying to get a guy that could help the team.

How does getting rid of McCargo help us now??

You don't know how hard they tried to make either deal. There is another story out that makes is sound like the Bills offered a 3rd or a pick and player. There is also speculation that he did not want to come here.

SquishDaFish
10-14-2008, 09:51 PM
HH drinking some more hateraid

M
10-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Was just watching NFL Total Access and Schefter (sp?) said that someone offered a 3rd and a 3rd plus a player and Peterson just didn't want to part with TG.

Akhippo
10-14-2008, 10:58 PM
What a joke, you would think the old man would do anything it took to win 1 Superbowl before he is 6 feet under.

I think he followed the Al Davis school of thought. He doesnt plan on dying until the Bills have won at least two super bowls.

Michael82
10-15-2008, 01:57 AM
If you were to do more research on this, you would find out that the Chiefs wanted a 2nd rounder and they were sticking to that no matter what. they like Tony and so do the fans. They didn't want to give him away for nothing.

thenry20
10-15-2008, 02:31 AM

Seriously, somebody here tell me how TG makes the team better!!!

He won't help Lynch or Jackson and he certainly won't keep TE from getting new concussions.

yordad
10-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Seriously, somebody here tell me how TG makes the team better!!!

He won't help Lynch or Jackson and he certainly won't keep TE from getting new concussions.What? Was this a serious question?

1. Gonzo is healthy.

2. Last year he caught 99 passes for 1172 yards.

3. He is currently on pace for for 67 catches.

4. The Bills got 55 catches out of out of the TEs and H-backs combined last year.

5. He has missed 1 game his entire career.

6. He has 4 years left on his contract. The next 4 years pay 1, 4, 4.5, and 5.75 respectably, with none guaranteed.

7. Even if he was a cap casualty or retires prior to the 4th year, he is a huge immediate up grade. The value he would add to the team, would be more then any other team. If there was a reverse-MVP award, the Bills have like three positions on offense that arguable have the worst starters in the entire league (C, FB, TE).

8. In addition to the fact the Bills have been inept at the TE position for years, they have a young emerging QB, who would benefit greatly from a talented and experienced playmaker. As I heard someone else on here type the other day "Gonzo makes the Tight End a skill position."

9. How far are we under the cap? I think we could have spared the mil. Where does that extra money go?

10. I compare the value TG would bring to this team over the next years to the value of your average third rounder. And TG compares highly favorably, IMO.

11. That is an Expected value move I would have to make. All day.