PDA

View Full Version : Peterson "Just couldnt part with Gonzo"

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Peterson just couldn’t part with Gonzalez (http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/14/peterson-just-couldnt-part-with-gonzalez/)Posted: October 14th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Kansas City Chiefs (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/kansas-city-chiefs/), Tony Gonzalez (http://blogs.nfl.com/tag/tony-gonzalez/)
When Kansas City opted not to deal tight end Tony Gonzalez, it was not for lack of offers.
The Chiefs were engaged in active talks with the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Buffalo Bills and Green Bay Packers. One team offered as much as a third-round pick; another offered a fourth-round pick; another offered a pick and a player.
But ultimately, in the end, Chiefs president Carl Peterson, could not bring himself to trade a player for whom he has a personal affection. Teams tried to pry him loose, but Peterson never could commit to dealing his Pro-Bowl, record-setting tight end.
And so while the Lions pulled in a bounty of picks from the Cowboys for wide receiver Roy Williams, the Chiefs opted to hold on to their veteran tight end.

patmoran2006
10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
This contradicts an earlier report that said the best offer they got was the GIants 4th rounder.

So maybe (hopefully we'll find out for sure) that the Bills were the ones who offered the 3rd rounder, or the player (McCargo) and pick.

If so, then I can live with that.. I said for the last week I'd go up to a third rounder for him. Not any higher.

Mudflap1
10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
They tried.

Ed
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
What a surprise. People jumped the gun on bashing the Bills before knowing all the facts, which we probably won't ever really know for sure.

The Chiefs didn't want to trade him and he's not a Bill. So it really doesn't matter at this point who offered what.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 06:27 PM
So it's possible people over-reacted here? Just like many did after the 4-0 start? Or after the lost to Arizona?

Unpossible!

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
This contradicts an earlier report that said the best offer they got was the GIants 4th rounder.

So maybe (hopefully we'll find out for sure) that the Bills were the ones who offered the 3rd rounder, or the player (McCargo) and pick.

If so, then I can live with that.. I said for the last week I'd go up to a third rounder for him. Not any higher.

:rofl: !!!!

Seriously, can Shefler report ANY other possible scenario? What a journalist! He covers every possible situation and says that it happened, while his sheep on this site hang on his every word!

:rofl: What a freaking joke.

PECKERWOOD
10-14-2008, 07:09 PM
So it's possible people over-reacted here? Just like many did after the 4-0 start? Or after the lost to Arizona?

Unpossible!

I believe the word is impossible but I agree with your sentiment, sir.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 08:08 PM
What a surprise. People jumped the gun on bashing the Bills before knowing all the facts, which we probably won't ever really know for sure.

The Chiefs didn't want to trade him and he's not a Bill. So it really doesn't matter at this point who offered what.

People bashing the Bills here? Come on, never happens ;)

Scumbag College
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I still blame Dick, JP, Russ, Marv, Ralph, Fowler, Schobel, Rob Johnson, Hardy, and Jason Peters for this trade not going down.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Unpossible!

how can you say people overreacted to the loss to Arizona until we see if the team bounces back or not? Based on how poorly they played, I don't think it's possible to overreact to a loss that bad.

btw, nice subtle Simpsons reference.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
People bashing the Bills here? Come on, never happens ;)

teams that lose and lose consistently deserve to be bashed.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
getting back on topic:

Gonzo is pissed because he asked for a trade and didn't get it.

Chiefs fans are pissed because they don't want a player who doesn't want to be on their team and they need draft picks to rebuild.

Bills fans are pissed because we didn't get a player at a position of need. I'm sure Giants fans feel the same way.

So, who exactly won in this situation? Seems like a worst case scenario for all parties involved and no one is happy.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 08:58 PM
how can you say people overreacted to the loss to Arizona until we see if the team bounces back or not? Based on how poorly they played, I don't think it's possible to overreact to a loss that bad.

btw, nice subtle Simpsons reference.

It is an over-reaction because how they bounce back is not known. They might be fine. They might not recover. But the season is not over because of it. Good teams can lose ugly and big to not so great teams (See Giants, New York). As one game, it was fugly. But the season is not lost and they are still ahead of any logical schedule for wins at this point of the season. But, just as the first four wins does not guarentee greatness, one fugly loss does not either.

A Simpsons reference should always make the point clear.

Dr. Lecter
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
getting back on topic:

Gonzo is pissed because he asked for a trade and didn't get it.

Chiefs fans are pissed because they don't want a player who doesn't want to be on their team and they need draft picks to rebuild.

Bills fans are pissed because we didn't get a player at a position of need. I'm sure Giants fans feel the same way.

So, who exactly won in this situation? Seems like a worst case scenario for all parties involved and no one is happy.

Chiefs fans will be really pissed if Peterson turned down a 3rd from the Bills or another team.

HHURRICANE
10-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Yeah, give the Bills a pass for an offer that wouldn't of landed him here had he been available.

Ebenezer
10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
teams that lose and lose consistently deserve to be bashed.
4-1. That's not losing consistently...and that lose was to a pretty good team when we had two defensive starters on the shelf and another two injured.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 10:42 PM
4-1. That's not losing consistently...and that lose was to a pretty good team when we had two defensive starters on the shelf and another two injured.

Think big picture- don't take a myopic view ranging over a handful of games to prove your point. This team has lost consistently for a decade. The current regime lost consistently for two years except for a 4 game stretch to start this season.

That loss was to the only good team we played and it wasn't just a loss. It was complete domination.

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2008, 05:54 AM
Back on topic:

Tony Gonzalez figured there's no way I'd be writing a story today referring to him as Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.

But after the NFL's trading deadline came and went and the future Hall Of Famer wasn't moved, he was wrought with a variety of emotions from disappointment to anger to trying to cope with damage caused by his trade request. But more than anything, there's confusion.

"I'm shocked," he said in an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com. "It didn't make sense not to do this deal. It's winding down for me and this team is rebuilding. If they said from the get-go, 'No, we're not going to trade you,' that would've been better than how this whole thing unfolded. But that's not what happened.

"Last night I talked to Carl (Peterson, Chiefs President and GM) and I point-blank asked him what it would take to get it done. I wanted to know if it could happen with a fourth (-round pick). He started talking about a second and a fifth like the Shockey deal. Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end. All along Carl said he would do something that works for both parties. Then he talked about how he traded a third for Willie Roaf, and he made it pretty clear to me that's what was going to get it done. That was certainly fair.

"I know teams offered a third and in the end, Carl made the asking price a second. I'm very disappointed that he didn't go through with it after he told me he was going to try to make it happen. I've been around this league a long time, it's a business. There's nothing I can do about it. I was pissed off about it, but I'll get over it. I won't let it affect my play and my preparation."

Link. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8677684/?MSNHPHMA)

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2008, 05:55 AM
Back off-topic:

Op is the first person I know who makes excuses for the Bills winning. If the Bills injuries last year were not an excuse for them losing why are the an excuse for them winning?

HHURRICANE
10-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Let's all agree that a 2nd is too high for Gonzales.

The way it stands now, and what I've read, it was Green Bay that would had got Gonzales because they offered a third and we offered a 4th.

So how do the Bills get kudos for "trying" when they didn't even give an offer that would have landed him here in the first place?

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Where did you read that? Do you have a link? Did the Bills offer a 4th and were told it was a 2nd or no deal? If so, I really can't blame them for saying no.

Saratoga Slim
10-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Let's all agree that a 2nd is too high for Gonzales.

The way it stands now, and what I've read, it was Green Bay that would had got Gonzales because they offered a third and we offered a 4th.

So how do the Bills get kudos for "trying" when they didn't even give an offer that would have landed him here in the first place?

I haven't seen anything confirming for sure what we offered. The info seems to be all over the place.

If we did offer a 4th--not enough to beat the 3rd someone else was dangling, the Bills nonetheless get SOME kudos for trying. I.e., they were actively looking to improve the team, corectly identified TG as someone that could improve us, and were inherently willing to pay for him if he could be had for what we offered. I think they deserve some credit for trying.

The only way you can FAULT them in this case is if you disagree with their value judgment that a 32 year old TE that described his career, in his own words, as "winding down," was worth a 4th but not a 3rd. While I personally would have been willing to offer a 3rd, I can't fault them for disagreeing--you can make a strong argument either way.

ALL D
10-15-2008, 09:59 AM
It was probably part of the Bills overall plan to trade McCargo for a fourth and pick up Gonzo for a third...

Very good deal if it would have worked out like this...