PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bills sign another DT?

Scumbag College
10-14-2008, 08:38 PM
With the departure of McCargo to Indy today, will the Bills sign a street FA as the fourth DT in the rotation or just make due for the rest of the year with three? There are a few players I'd be interested in just going by reputation and what they've done in the past. There aren't too many FAs available, but as a short list I would like the Bills to at least consider:

Rod Coleman
Chuck Darby
Antonio Garay

Coleman is a little old and banged up, but could be a good situational pass rusher. Darby is undersized but has a good motor. Garay played under Dick in Chicago i believe.

Again, it's pretty slim pickings out there, but I think the Bills hould have a fourth DT at least to work in there.

pintonick96
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Ed Johnson who the Colts let go for him being an idiot wouldnt be a bad pickup.

Forward_Lateral
10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Ed Johnson who the Colts let go for him being an idiot wouldnt be a bad pickup.

No thanks, he's another Hargrove.

OpIv37
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Does it matter?

If we pick someone up, it's just going to be a body to put in there and won't be a player who makes a difference. All those guys are long gone.

I have no problem getting rid of McCargo but I am a little concerned by the lack of bodies at DT.

Griz78
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Corey Ma$e

BillsWin
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Im pretty sure that they are promoting Mace.

bigbub2352
10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt mind looking at Booger McFarland, he played alot of DT in the Cover 2 Mace is not the answer, he sucked bad in the preseason, we need stoutness against the run

circlethewagons
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
They'll probly either go with Mace, or Jason Jefferson. Jefferson got quite a bit of playing time last year (although he didnt play that well) but whoever they pick up wont be playing much

Romes
10-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I doubt we bring in a veteran. I'd expect them to bring up Mace and sign someone to the PS to develope...possibly Teraz McCray... :idunno:

pintonick96
10-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Jason Jefferson is in Atlanta.

thenry20
10-15-2008, 02:57 AM
I've been wondering what we'd be doing for another DT. Lord knows we need as many competent players at this position we can find.

TigerJ
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
I doubt we bring in a veteran. I'd expect them to bring up Mace and sign someone to the PS to develope...possibly Teraz McCray... :idunno:I think we have a winner. I agree that whatever move Buffalo makes, it is essentially to provide a warm body for emergencies and is not going to make a material difference in how the season plays out. There's just no quality available.

madness
10-15-2008, 08:00 AM
It looks like Rome might be right. Mace will probably be brought up. Either way, I'd rather have a developemental player brought and being inactive on Sunday's then paying a 1st rounder to not dress.

McCargo move a surprise (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2008/10/14/mccargo-move-a-surprise/)

By Chris Brown - Posted October 14th, 2008
There were rumblings early in the season that the Bills were shopping McCargo, but after the preseason came and went and nothing happened it was thought that McCargo was going to be here for the season at the least.
Obviously being made inactive in Week 1 was done to send a message - step it up. McCargo flashed promising ability last season, but it hasn’t materialized this year.
That’s not to say he can’t go on to have a productive career for the Colts, who will plug him into their lineup right away. But he apparently wasn’t deemed a long term fit by the Bills.
That being said, the Colts had to make this deal very attractive in terms of a draft pick.
The question now is who replaces him. My money is on Corey Mace. The former undrafted free agent is a member of Buffalo’s practice squad. He’s a hard working player with very good feet for a defensive tackle and offers some flexibility on run downs to kick outside to defensive end.
We’ll likely know more tomorrow.

eee1776
10-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't think the bills would have made that move by trading McCargo unless they had a plan. They either worked out someone last week that they really liked, or Corey Mace had played well enough in practice to make them think that he would be an upgrade to McCargo.

patmoran2006
10-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Will probably promote mace.

bigbub2352
10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Mace is only 281lbs and was pushed around bad in the Preseason
I truly wish we could get a vet in here with some size, just to clog up the middle
Williams is like 300lbs
Johnsons is 285lbs
Stroud is a monster
Mace is like 280lbs
those are small DTs playing next to stroud
i know there isnt much out there but size can be found just to plug him in in obvious run situations and goaline defense

Pinkerton Security
10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Does it matter?

If we pick someone up, it's just going to be a body to put in there and won't be a player who makes a difference. All those guys are long gone.

I have no problem getting rid of McCargo but I am a little concerned by the lack of bodies at DT.

It does matter because if someone goes down, whoever we promote or pickup will be stepping in, and thats why we need to select who is filling the void carefully. i get what you're saying though, no one we get is going to be an impact player, but we may as well get the most solid non-impact player available.

Mahdi
10-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Mace is only 281lbs and was pushed around bad in the Preseason
I truly wish we could get a vet in here with some size, just to clog up the middle
Williams is like 300lbs
Johnsons is 285lbs
Stroud is a monster
Mace is like 280lbs
those are small DTs playing next to stroud
i know there isnt much out there but size can be found just to plug him in in obvious run situations and goaline defense
Mace is 294... and if the Bills were willing to part with McCargo its because they believe they have good potential waiting in the wings. Mace was a DE but apparently he put on weight. He could be a good pass rushing option at DT.

bigbub2352
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Mace is 294... and if the Bills were willing to part with McCargo its because they believe they have good potential waiting in the wings. Mace was a DE but apparently he put on weight. He could be a good pass rushing option at DT.

I am gonna have to disagree, Mace was an undersized DT coming out of college that could play end just like that bum Jason Jefferson, he has been cut 2x by this team so his potential cant be that hi, i understand the hope, but i watched him play all preseason and he was truly bad

He got pushed around alot, this is looking more and more like a cost cutting move

ALL D
10-15-2008, 10:26 AM
how much money do we save with the departure of McCargo?

mysticsoto
10-15-2008, 10:30 AM
how much money do we save with the departure of McCargo?

I doubt it was a money issue, but this is what he cost for 2006-2007:

<table id="playerDetailGrid" width="638" border="0" bordercolor="White" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="small-copy-sans" width="10%" align="center">Year</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="left">Team</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Base Salary</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Sign Bonus</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Other Bonus</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Total Salary</td><td class="small-copy-sans" align="right">Cap Value</td><td class="small-copy-sans" width="20%" align="center">Position</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table id="playerDetailGrid" width="638" border="0" bordercolor="White" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr nowrap="nowrap" bgcolor="#ffdccb"><td class="front-lede-link" width="10%" align="center">2007</td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="left"> Bills (http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2007&team=3) </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 360,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 0 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 718,720 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 4,173,720 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 1,316,220 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="20%" align="center">DT</td> </tr><tr nowrap="nowrap" bgcolor="White"> <td class="front-lede-link" width="10%" align="center">2006</td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="left"> Bills (http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2006&team=3) </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 275,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 0 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 775,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 1,050,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="15%" align="right"> $ 1,050,000 </td><td class="front-lede-link" width="20%" align="center">DT</td> </tr> </tbody></table> http://images.usatoday.com/_common/_images/clear.gif

I'm not sure about this year, but his contract was likely up in the next year or so...