Bills fans are amongst the worst-behaved in the league.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

Bills fans are amongst the worst-behaved in the league.

According to Wall Street Journal.

One self-admitted laggard is the Buffalo Bills, a team that has struggled to control some of the worst-behaving fans in all of sports. The Bills are aware of the Eagles text-messaging system and would like to have it, but they simply haven't budgeted for it. Buffalo has relied, instead, on old-fashioned shame: publishing the names of those arrested at Bills games in the local paper. But that often isn't enough to keep fans from getting plastered.
    According to Chris Clark, the Bills' security chief, one Canadian fan who was arrested this year came back to Buffalo to appear in court. He stopped by the stadium to apologize and ask Mr. Clark for a tour. "He told me he got on a bus in Canada at 7 a.m., started drinking, and doesn't even remember being in the stadium." Though Mr. Clark admired the fan's candor, he declined to give him the tour.

Also, found this gem from last year.

In Buffalo, the unruly behavior often spills over into the luxury suites, prompting Mr. Clark to post guards outside each one. "Fans would just walk in and use the bathroom," said Bills suite-holder Ed Shill. "In the warm weather, when the windows were open, they'd dive in and grab food and beer. In the winter, when it's 20-below outside and we're in our shirtsleeves drinking hot chocolate, they'd throw things at the windows and give us the finger."
    Night games are the worst. "They drink like it's a one o'clock start," Mr. Shill said.
    That was very much in evidence during the Monday Night game. It was, without a doubt, the drunkest crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event. Many fans stumbling to their seats just before kickoff were absolutely plastered.

• SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills fans are amongst the worst-behaved in the league.

Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Well, I go to every game and have only missed a few in the last 40+ years.

I like the whole tailgating atmosphere myself but without question, the sheer amount of drunks is getting out of hand. Even in the Club Seats, many get up every 15 minutes to get another drink and use the bathroom, returning much worse each trip.

I like beer as much as anyone but I'm there to watch the game.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dujek
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2008

The main reason for sporting events is to give people an excuse to get drunk and shout abuse at the opposition.

Of course there is such a thing as taking it too far.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train

I like the whole tailgating atmosphere myself but without question, the sheer amount of drunks is getting out of hand. Even in the Club Seats, many get up every 15 minutes to get another drink and use the bathroom, returning much worse each trip.

12TH MAN BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WALL OF FAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• BAM
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train

Up until a few years ago I used to get absolutely plastered before every game. I finally realized it's actually a better experience (for me at least) to be able to remember the game. I must say I don't have a problem with anyone that wants to do so though and can't promise I won't ever do it again.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

@ the people grabbing food and beer from the suites. at random people using the washrooms in people's suites.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                at random people using the washrooms in people's suites.
                In the Clubs, they started posting Police at the 2 doors, since many fans were trying to get in and use the full bar & bathrooms. They stamp your hand and you must keep your ticket on you, in case club members step out for a smoke or visit other fans.

But I was told dozens still try & crash the place each game, thinking they'll get in. If they give the police lip, they walk them right to the gate.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                  According to Wall Street Journal.

One self-admitted laggard is the Buffalo Bills, a team that has struggled to control some of the worst-behaving fans in all of sports. The Bills are aware of the Eagles text-messaging system and would like to have it, but they simply haven't budgeted for it. Buffalo has relied, instead, on old-fashioned shame: publishing the names of those arrested at Bills games in the local paper. But that often isn't enough to keep fans from getting plastered.
                  According to Chris Clark, the Bills' security chief, one Canadian fan who was arrested this year came back to Buffalo to appear in court. He stopped by the stadium to apologize and ask Mr. Clark for a tour. "He told me he got on a bus in Canada at 7 a.m., started drinking, and doesn't even remember being in the stadium." Though Mr. Clark admired the fan's candor, he declined to give him the tour.

Also, found this gem from last year.

In Buffalo, the unruly behavior often spills over into the luxury suites, prompting Mr. Clark to post guards outside each one. "Fans would just walk in and use the bathroom," said Bills suite-holder Ed Shill. "In the warm weather, when the windows were open, they'd dive in and grab food and beer. In the winter, when it's 20-below outside and we're in our shirtsleeves drinking hot chocolate, they'd throw things at the windows and give us the finger."
                  Night games are the worst. "They drink like it's a one o'clock start," Mr. Shill said.
                  That was very much in evidence during the Monday Night game. It was, without a doubt, the drunkest crowd I've ever seen at any sporting event. Many fans stumbling to their seats just before kickoff were absolutely plastered.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110010740
                  HILARIOUS!!! I can't say they aren't right though.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BAM
                    Up until a few years ago I used to get absolutely plastered before every game. I finally realized it's actually a better experience (for me at least) to be able to remember the game. I must say I don't have a problem with anyone that wants to do so though and can't promise I won't ever do it again.
                    I am trying to incorporate this into my game routine but it is tough. I was ok for the Opener actually but last game I got caught up in the craziness of the tailgates and was hammered.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

The games are getting worse. If I had kids it would be hard to take them.

It is one thing to relax, have fun and root for your team. It is quite another to be fall down, black out drunk. It is embarassing sometimes. I can't understand why people go to games and get so messed up they don't remember being there. It is an expensive afternoon to black-out and not remember.
                      Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Dujek
                        The main reason for sporting events is to give people an excuse to get drunk and shout abuse at the opposition.
                        No, actually. That's not the main reason for sporting events.
                        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• lordofgun
                          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

This is why I watch on my plasma.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

The drunkeness and rowdy behavior in the club seats generally comes from non-season ticket holders.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mercy
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                              No, actually. That's not the main reason for sporting events.
                              Is it to get drunk and shout out your admiration for your team?

Whatever these people do, at least they're there. While relaxing at home is the choice some people make, it's really not the same thing. There's really nothing like actually being there.
                              Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
                              Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

Working...
                              X