PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Love

jmb1099
10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
So as of late I've noticed a lot of Cowboy love on this forum and I've got to say I don't get it. Jerry Jones is being heralded by some as a mastermind of an owner and I've been trying to figure out why? Especially as of late.

1) Pacman Jones: Did anyone really think he was going to reform? What did Jerry Jones waste to bring him in? What about the gaping hole that is left in the DB-field now? Doesn't look like a very smart move at this point. Out four games according to some reports, suspended indefinitely according to others.

2) Roy Williams: He has the potential to be a very good receiver, but again is it really all that brilliant to mortgage your future on a receiver that has had attitude and performance issues in the past? Now I suppose this is where people will start citing the QB issues in Detroit or heck every issue in Detroit and that does have some validity. But the cost to acquire Williams, with so many unknowns doesn't look like a brilliant move, especially when you consider...

3) Tony Romo: So far the only thing he has proven is that he is the King of Choke. Yes he pulls off some amazing plays, but so far, in crucial moments, Romo chokes more often then not. Still, he plays well most of the time. But Romo is out for at least 4 weeks with a broken pinky on his throwing hand. I say at least four weeks because when other notable QB's have gone down with this injury it plagued them for multiple seasons (Kurt Warner etc). So who is tossing the ball to Williams and Owens? And when the Back-up Qb doesn't get it to them how long before those two massive egos explode and explode big?

So while I agree that Dallas has a better record etc, I just don't see the recent activity of Mr. Jones as being all that brilliant. I suppose you could argue that with high risk comes high reward, but it does appear with the injury to Romo, the suspension of Jones, and the price paid for Williams that the Cowboys market could be due for a serious crash.

Night Train
10-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Some spot on observations.

Romo got ripped on the NFL Live show Monday. Various ex-players saying is is very talented but makes too many reckless mistakes at key moments. They all thought 40 yr old Brad Johnson may actually bring some positives to the team, like less turnovers and more emphasis on the run. (which will piss off TO) .

With the Roy Williams aquisition, I'm thinking Jones will still order his Wade puppet to throw more than the Cowboys should.

I'm not impressed with a team which makes the playoffs basically every year but hasn't won in the postseason since beating Minny in a 1996 Wildcard game.

That's called choking & the "fans" here would be ripping them constantly, if that was the Bills.

jmb1099
10-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Some spot on observations.

Romo got ripped on the NFL Live show Monday. Various ex-players saying is is very talented but makes too many reckless mistakes at key moments. They all thought 40 yr old Brad Johnson may actually bring some positives to the team, like less turnovers and more emphasis on the run. (which will piss off TO) .

With the Roy Williams aquisition, I'm thinking Jones will still order his Wade puppet to throw more than the Cowboys should.

I'm not impressed with a team which makes the playoffs basically every year but hasn't won in the postseason since beating Minny in a 1996 Wildcard game.

That's called choking & the "fans" here would be ripping them constantly, if that was the Bills.
Good insight as well. I think the powder keg is lit.

Pride
10-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Bills fans won't rip Jerry Jones because he obviously spares no expense to win! He is building a Billion dollar stadium, he makes trades at the deadline, he makes moves on draft day, he markets his own brand of merchandise.

While he may make the occasional bad acquisition (Note: He lost nothing at all by taking a chance on PacMan. The draft picks were returned the second Pac got suspended), he is extremely smart and business savvy. Bills fans respect that because of how poorly the Bills organization is managed.

justasportsfan
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
his billion dollar stadium is now worth thousands with the stock crash Pride.

TacklingDummy
10-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Enter gr8slayer...

jmb1099
10-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Bills fans won't rip Jerry Jones because he obviously spares no expense to win! He is building a Billion dollar stadium, he makes trades at the deadline, he makes moves on draft day, he markets his own brand of merchandise.

While he may make the occasional bad acquisition (Note: He lost nothing at all by taking a chance on PacMan. The draft picks were returned the second Pac got suspended), he is extremely smart and business savvy. Bills fans respect that because of how poorly the Bills organization is managed.

Pacman's suspension cost them a key player so it isn't without cost to the team or a successful season. In short it cost him plenty.

We've been active in the past few years on draft day and while moving to get McCargo didn't pan out, we're still making moves for good, better or worse. So I wouldn't qualify making moves as a reason to sing the praises of only Jones or to declare him superior to anyone.

As far as not sparing expense, we've spent plenty over the past few years on players as well. We resigned Evans, brought in Dockery and Walker and extended contracts. We brought in Bledsoe, Spikes, Milloy, Adams and a host of others which cost us plenty. So I don't see any difference here in what we've done in comparison to what Jones has done. So again I just don't see it. We brought in plenty of "sexy" name players that just didn't pan out.

Now are far as the new stadium is concerned nice move. The economy there supports it so it is a business savvy move. Would the economy in Buffalo support such a project? And if not would building a new stadium in an economy that can't support it be a business savvy move? Hardly. Let's face it, if there was adequate financial reward to be had for Wilson, Erie County, and NYS, they would all be behind a new stadium project. They would all find a way to make it happen. So as far as I can tell this isn't the result of poor management on the part of the owner as much as it is a reflection of the economy in that particular demographic. Sadly, as much as it pains me to say it, without the proper financial base for support, it is the right business decision. So again I see no difference between one smart business decision and another.