• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Gonzalez angered and baffled by non-trade

Gonzalez angered and baffled by non-trade

Tony Gonzalez figured there's no way I'd be writing a story today referring to him as Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez.

But after the NFL's trading deadline came and went and the future Hall Of Famer wasn't moved, he was wrought with a variety of emotions from disappointment to anger to trying to cope with damage caused by his trade request. But more than anything, there's confusion.

Tony Gonzalez: "Nobody is going to trade a second (-round pick) for a 32-year-old tight end." (Kevin C. Cox / Getty Images)

"I'm shocked," he said in an exclusive interview with FOXSports.com. "It didn't make sense not to do this deal. It's winding down for me and this team is rebuilding. If they said from the get-go, 'No, we're not going to trade you,' that would've been better than how this whole thing unfolded. But that's not what happened.
    "Last night I talked to Carl (Peterson, Chiefs President and GM) and I point-blank asked him what it would take to get it done. I wanted to know if it could happen with a fourth (-round pick). He started talking about a second and a fifth like the Shockey deal. Nobody is going to trade a second for a 32-year-old tight end. All along Carl said he would do something that works for both parties. Then he talked about how he traded a third for Willie Roaf, and he made it pretty clear to me that's what was going to get it done. That was certainly fair. "I know teams offered a third and in the end, Carl made the asking price a second. I'm very disappointed that he didn't go through with it after he told me he was going to try to make it happen. I've been around this league a long time, it's a business. There's nothing I can do about it. I was pissed off about it, but I'll get over it. I won't let it affect my play and my preparation."

MORE

It sounds like the rumor that Gonzalez didn't want to go to the Bills could have been just mere speculation. I noticed he said team"s" offered a third. It sure would be nice to know who they were.
  • Dujek
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2008

Re: Gonzalez angered and baffled by non-trade

If they made the asking price a second then the Bills were right not to pay it.

Sounds like the Chiefs got greedy and nobody was stupid enough to take their deal.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Peterson has a rep for being impossible to deal with.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Peterson has a rep for being impossible to deal with.
        So this might not have been Ralph's fault?

Quite honestly if Peterson told the Bills it was a 2nd or nothing, the Bills were right to say no. If they offered a 3rd and were rebuffed, I think they did everything possible.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Like I said in another thread:

Gonzo is pissed that he didn't get a trade.

Chiefs fans are pissed that they have a player who doesn't want to be there and don't have draft picks to rebuild.

Bills fans are pissed that they didn't get an upgrade at TE and Giants fans probably feel the same way.

So everyone's mad and nobody wins. Peterson completely botched this situation.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Gonzalez seems to be a straight up dude. I kinda wish we had gotten him MORE now, but alas.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Some on here are very quick to blame every one of these situations on the Bills. Occasionally, maybe we should wait for all the facts to come out.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                Zero for Zero!
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                Some on here are very quick to blame every one of these situations on the Bills. Occasionally, maybe we should wait for all the facts to come out.
                :db:

It is more fun to jump to conclusions and assume facts not in evidence.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                  1. the facts never come out, at least not all of them.
                  2. the FO needs to earn the benefit of the doubt. Remember, this is the same FO (minus Marv) that was trading a former first round draft pick (that we gave up two picks to get) for a fourth round draft pick while all this TG crap was going on. The reason people are so quick to believe the Bills' FO screwed up is because they've screwed up enough times in the past.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

If you rip the FO for a 1st round bust, then all FOs deserve to be ripped apart. I am not defending the pick, just pointing out that picks do bust.

This is also was not a draft. I think this FO has shown that when they badly want a player, they get him. Stroud, Mitchell, Dockery, Walker, Evans etc. show that. Now the players they go after or extend might be the wrong ones, but they do get the job done.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                      Zero for Zero!
                      • Mar 2003

BTW, from another article:

An NFL source told the Journal Sentinel that the Bills weren’t a factor because Gonzalez didn’t want to play for them.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        BTW, from another article:

An NFL source told the Journal Sentinel that the Bills weren’t a factor because Gonzalez didn’t want to play for them.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=806267
                        Did Gonzo have a clause in his contract that allows him to approve a trade? If not, it doesn't matter if he wants to go to Buffalo or not.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                          Did Gonzo have a clause in his contract that allows him to approve a trade? If not, it doesn't matter if he wants to go to Buffalo or not.
                          If Peterson refused to trade him to a team he did not want to go, it does matter.

Comment

• jmb1099
                            • Sep 2004

Agreed and yet bringing in a player that doesn't want to play for you and has been public about it very seldom proves to be fruitful. Let's all be honest... a motivated Gonzo would have been a force to be reckoned with. His decline in KC is a reflection of the entire organization at the moment. But an unmotivated Gonzo wouldn't have made enough of an impact to justify the asking price.

Comment

• Dujek
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Jan 2008

Yeah, that TO to Baltimore deal worked out well.

Comment

Working...
                              X