PDA

View Full Version : CHRIS ELLIS

Mitchell55
10-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Now that Schobel and McCargo are out/gone, ellis should be active. Right now all we have is Kelsay, Bryan, Stroud, Williams, Denney, and Johnson on our DL. Thats 3 DT and 3 DE. We need at least 4 of each. Cmon Ellis, show us why we got you in the 3rd.

ParanoidAndroid
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
He strikes me as one of those guys who are in it for the paycheck.

Mitchell55
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM

How? Well it doesnt matter because Bruce Smith struck me the same way.

ParanoidAndroid
10-15-2008, 01:16 PM
How?

Interviews, scouting reports, training camp news, the way he carries himself on the field.....

I still hope I'm wrong, though.

bigbub2352
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
well he is suppossed to be able ot get to the QB. lets hope we found a gem cause we need it right now
I really hate our size up front we are too small

ParanoidAndroid
10-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Well it doesnt matter because Bruce Smith struck me the same way.

<!-- / message -->Bruce Smith was not only talented, but had a reputation for being a hard worker. I'm not sure why you thought that about him.
You're not suggesting he has similar talent, are you?

Griff
10-15-2008, 01:20 PM
well he is suppossed to be able ot get to the QB. lets hope we found a gem cause we need it right now
I really hate our size up front we are too small
Stroud... small?

our Oline is huge... how is that working out?

yordad
10-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Schobel hasn't been anounced as "out" as far as I know. :link:

Mitchell55
10-15-2008, 01:38 PM
<!-- / message -->Bruce Smith was not only talented, but had a reputation for being a hard worker. I'm not sure why you thought that about him.
You're not suggesting he has similar talent, are you?

Smith was all about him self and was known for playing alot just for money. Alot of people thought this about him. I mean TO is considered a hard worker.

bigbub2352
10-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Stroud... small?

our Oline is huge... how is that working out?

Wow u got me, Stoud is a monster i apologize for not making that clear but i guess u like the DEs all 260lbs or smaller and the rest of the DTs on the roster to all be at 300lbs and smaller

Our Oline is still building its chemistry and needs size to maul people at the line of scrimmage, usually makes it easier to dominate smaller Dlineman

Hence our Dline which has been getting mauled at the line of scrimmage expecially with its dismal pass rush

THATHURMANATOR
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Now that Schobel and McCargo are out/gone, ellis should be active. Right now all we have is Kelsay, Bryan, Stroud, Williams, Denney, and Johnson on our DL. Thats 3 DT and 3 DE. We need at least 4 of each. Cmon Ellis, show us why we got you in the 3rd.
Where are you getting the Schobel is out nonsense?

Night Train
10-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Schobel hasn't been anounced as "out" as far as I know. :link:

Precisely.

Chris Brown writes he's wearing a protective boot and many start posting he's being fit for a prosthesis and his career is done.

PECKERWOOD
10-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Money is a powerful incentive for anybody. Who here wouldn't like a million dollars right now??

gr8slayer
10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Bills RE Aaron Schobel (foot) was in a protective walking boot Wednesday. He is uncertain to play in Week 7. Schobel still hasn't resumed practicing and Ryan Denney may be forced into starting action against San Diego. The pass-rushing drop off would be big.

TigerJ
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
As I understand it, Schobel has some kind of foot injury, but he had it for the Cardinals game and played. The protective immobilizing boot is to encourage it to heal more quickly, but it is not worse and his availability to play is not in question.

Mad Max
10-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Let's hope your opinion is correct. If so (and he has true talent) then he's going to be a nice asset for us for the duration of his rookie contract (because his rookie contract is peanuts compared to what he'll make in his next contract if he performs well now).

patmoran2006
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Only thing I saw was on ESPN TICKER said Schobel is "Unlikely to play"

Sportsuser101
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Schobel is more of a loss depth wise. His production has dropped off alot this year. Denney should be an upgrade as far as starting but the depth is going to be the question.

patmoran2006
10-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Schobel is more of a loss depth wise. His production has dropped off alot this year. Denney should be an upgrade as far as starting but the depth is going to be the question.
Where you basing that on?

I Wrote this last week, and its not opinion, its statistical.. he's been one of the best DE's in the NFL at stopping the run this year..

"All the talk about Aaron Schobel is largely exaggerated. Yes, he only has one sack. But his 18 solo tackles leads the AFC among DE's and is tied for 2<SUP>nd</SUP> in the NFL. His four run “stuffs” are tied for first in the conference and fourth in the NFL. So going by the numbers, it seems Schobel is having a hard time getting to the quarterback, but has improved his run defense dramatically."

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 10:54 AM
If Schobel hasn't practiced all week I guess it's safe to say he isn't playing and if he is I don't think he's gonna do much.

We couldn't get to Kurt Warner by rushing 4 . Without Aaron, I can see us blitzing Rivers with our lb'ers or Whitner. Could be a long day if we don't pressure Rivers. Our D does not give up a lot of big plays but it is prone to keeping O's on the field via the short passing game.I hope our db's are ready.

Tatonka
10-16-2008, 11:22 AM
i am looking forward to seeing ellis out there. i hope he does well. people are already down on him because he has not seen the field yet. i get that. and as a first day pick, i understand that people have high expectations, but not everyone develops the same. Some guys take longer to get it. maybe he does need to get stronger (although VT has a very good history of weight training). But i have seen all of this kids games. He has the talent and the size to be an excellent defensive end in the nfl. and just because he hasnt had to play in the first 5 games of his rookie year, i am not ready to say the guy sucks or he was an awful pick, like so many.

patmoran2006
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I got no problem with Ellis, can't judge him until he plays, I agree with you.

I just take exception to the idiotic comments that Schobel now sucks.. he doesnt. He doesnt have sacks, but he's been an all around DE this year, something he hasn't done well before this season.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
i am looking forward to seeing ellis out there. i hope he does well. people are already down on him because he has not seen the field yet. i get that. and as a first day pick, i understand that people have high expectations, but not everyone develops the same. Some guys take longer to get it. maybe he does need to get stronger (although VT has a very good history of weight training). But i have seen all of this kids games. He has the talent and the size to be an excellent defensive end in the nfl. and just because he hasnt had to play in the first 5 games of his rookie year, i am not ready to say the guy sucks or he was an awful pick, like so many.

Ellis wasnt a Day 1 pick, he was Day 2.

He is undersized and doesn't have the right technique right now to be an NFL DE, which is something else VT is known for. They rely on athletes over skill to win games. Which is why a lot of their DE's become OLBs on the next level. Ellis isn't quite in the same mold and he does have some skills but he needs a lot of work. Im not ready to write him off, but I dont expect anything from him till end of 2009, start of 2010.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I got no problem with Ellis, can't judge him until he plays, I agree with you.

I just take exception to the idiotic comments that Schobel now sucks.. he doesnt. He doesnt have sacks, but he's been an all around DE this year, something he hasn't done well before this season.

To be an All-Around DE, you have to both stop the run and get the sacks at the same time, you can't just do one a few years and then the other and get that label.

THATHURMANATOR
10-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Ellis wasnt a Day 1 pick, he was Day 2.

He is undersized and doesn't have the right technique right now to be an NFL DE, which is something else VT is known for. They rely on athletes over skill to win games. Which is why a lot of their DE's become OLBs on the next level. Ellis isn't quite in the same mold and he does have some skills but he needs a lot of work. Im not ready to write him off, but I dont expect anything from him till end of 2009, start of 2010.
Ellis went in the 3rd round isn't that day 1?

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:37 AM

No its Day 2 now, just started last season.

Sportsuser101
10-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Nope round 3 is day 2.

THATHURMANATOR
10-16-2008, 11:43 AM
No its Day 2 now, just started last season.
my bad.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:47 AM
my bad.

No big deal, Im betting T just forgot about the change in the draft.

Mahdi
10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Wow u got me, Stoud is a monster i apologize for not making that clear but i guess u like the DEs all 260lbs or smaller and the rest of the DTs on the roster to all be at 300lbs and smaller

Our Oline is still building its chemistry and needs size to maul people at the line of scrimmage, usually makes it easier to dominate smaller Dlineman

Hence our Dline which has been getting mauled at the line of scrimmage expecially with its dismal pass rush
Why would you want your DEs any bigger than 260 anyways? The best DEs in the game are in the 260 or less range. Abraham, Freeney, Mathis, Umenyiora, Strahan... all are 260 or less. And btw Schobel and all of his 245 has been solid against the run and has been one of the reasons for our success against the run this year.

Tatonka
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
No big deal, Im betting T just forgot about the change in the draft.

semantics. sorry.

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Why would you want your DEs any bigger than 260 anyways? The best DEs in the game are in the 260 or less range. Abraham, Freeney, Mathis, Umenyiora, Strahan... all are 260 or less. And btw Schobel and all of his 245 has been solid against the run and has been one of the reasons for our success against the run this year.
I agree. His sacks have slipped but he's been stout vs. the run.

Nighthawk
10-16-2008, 07:49 PM
semantics. sorry.

I agree. A point that really didn't need to be made. If you're picked in the first 3 rounds, then that player tends to have higher expectations on him.

DraftBoy
10-17-2008, 07:17 AM
I agree. A point that really didn't need to be made. If you're picked in the first 3 rounds, then that player tends to have higher expectations on him.

Why would you arbutairly just pick a round and say anybody picked before here has higher expectations, and anybody after doesnt. Well the truth is your not just arbutairly picking a round, you're going by the old draft format and because Ellis was a Round 3 pick (formerly Day 1) the stigma still exists that Day 1 picks should preform in their rookie year. That is more accurate now because Day 1 is just the top 2 Rounds. Few developmental players are taken then, and less risk is involved. After that things get a little more interesting.

Take this year for example:
-Four players were taken from the FCS level (CB Antuan Molden, DE Bryan Smith, DE Kendall Langford, and OG Chad Rinehart). All those guys will need time to develop into better players and to adjust to this level. Only three players from this level went in the first two rounds.

-Other developmental picks included; Chris Ellis, Earl Bennett, Jeff Cottam, Jeremy Zuttah, Tom Zbikowski, JerMichael Finley, and Kevin O'Connell.

Teams take more risks in Round 3 and take players who may not have the most polish but they see as high reward players. Its been like that for a while, some guys got unfair expectations put on them for it. Just over 1/3 of the picks made in that round could be argued as developmental, depending on who you ask. So while you may think the point didn't need to be made in some regard it did, because the expectations are different. Like I said above though I dont think T forgot about the change, I think it was a simple slight mistake. No big deal either way.

Nighthawk
10-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Why would you arbutairly just pick a round and say anybody picked before here has higher expectations, and anybody after doesnt. Well the truth is your not just arbutairly picking a round, you're going by the old draft format and because Ellis was a Round 3 pick (formerly Day 1) the stigma still exists that Day 1 picks should preform in their rookie year. That is more accurate now because Day 1 is just the top 2 Rounds. Few developmental players are taken then, and less risk is involved. After that things get a little more interesting.

Take this year for example:
-Four players were taken from the FCS level (CB Antuan Molden, DE Bryan Smith, DE Kendall Langford, and OG Chad Rinehart). All those guys will need time to develop into better players and to adjust to this level. Only three players from this level went in the first two rounds.

-Other developmental picks included; Chris Ellis, Earl Bennett, Jeff Cottam, Jeremy Zuttah, Tom Zbikowski, JerMichael Finley, and Kevin O'Connell.

Teams take more risks in Round 3 and take players who may not have the most polish but they see as high reward players. Its been like that for a while, some guys got unfair expectations put on them for it. Just over 1/3 of the picks made in that round could be argued as developmental, depending on who you ask. So while you may think the point didn't need to be made in some regard it did, because the expectations are different. Like I said above though I dont think T forgot about the change, I think it was a simple slight mistake. No big deal either way.

Because a player in the 3 round is less likely to get cut than a player in the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th. That's just the way it is...it's a fact.

DraftBoy
10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
And why do you think that is?

Nighthawk
10-17-2008, 07:49 AM
And why do you think that is?

Because a 3rd is considered more valuable in NFL eyes. This really isn't a hard concept.

DraftBoy
10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Yes but why is it considered more valuable. Why is that determined to be the magical cut off point? Who determined this? Trends don't support what you are saying.

Yoy are right its not very difficult at all. I'm just not sure why you aren't getting it.

gr8slayer
10-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Because a 3rd is considered more valuable in NFL eyes. This really isn't a hard concept.
I don't know who told you that but it's honestly not true. There are plenty of teams who draft guys in the third round knowing that they won't contribute for two, three, even four years after they are drafted. Sadly Ellis is one of those guys who was drafted to contribute in the future, not now. Hell, there are guys who are drafted in the first round every year with teams knowing that person won't contribute for a year or two.

I still have no faith in the guy based on what I saw out him in college, he's too small, not aggressive enough, and gets engulfed by larger OT's; unfortunately he's not strong enough or fast enough to beat those bigger OT's either. Like DB said his technique stinks as well so he doesn't have that going for him either. We just have to sit back and hope he's not the bum I think he'll be. I'm more than willing to give him the three years I give every rookie though.

If Ellis is NOT active this week with Schobel being out I'm going to start worrying because that would mean that he's not even #5 on the depth chart.

HHURRICANE
10-18-2008, 02:54 PM

He now sucks?

He sucked last year and is just playing worse this year.

Since DEs are primarily judged on sacks, and that's where the big money contracts got to, than he really, really, sucks this year.

This "complete player" BS you keep piping out is getting old.

He lost 20 pounds and never got his game back. It was no pressure up the middle. Than it was the angle he was taking to the QB. Now he's hurt.

He's a "complete player" when it comes to making excuses.

mayotm
10-18-2008, 03:15 PM
He now sucks?

He sucked last year and is just playing worse this year.

Since DEs are primarily judged on sacks, and that's where the big money contracts got to, than he really, really, sucks this year.

This "complete player" BS you keep piping out is getting old.

He lost 20 pounds and never got his game back. It was no pressure up the middle. Than it was the angle he was taking to the QB. Now he's hurt.

He's a "complete player" when it comes to making excuses.Everybody, we can stop debating this point now. The self proclaimed smartest poster on the site has stated that Schobel sucks, so he must. Case closed. Thanks for setting us straight HH. What would we do without your wisdom?