PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts- game 3

OpIv37
10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
-Vanek is possessed- 5 goals, 2 shorties in 3 games.

-the PK is amazing. I believe they're perfect on the season, plus they added 2.

-The PP is looking better- 5 goals in 3 games.

-Sekera is still making too many dumb mistakes. He had the icing on the PP and also turned the puck over at the blue line. He's a good player but he needs to keep his head in the game.

-Tallinder was good at the end of the game but shaky at the start. He hasn't impressed me through the first 3 games.

-Paille is playing well.

-The Sabres struggled with the neutral zone trap and were getting outworked on the dump and chase. If they don't figure that out, it's going to be a long season.

-I have no idea who Matt Ellis is but he did well filling in tonight.

-Drury was pretty much a non-factor.

-I see what Lecter was saying about Numminen being a calming influence. He definitely played well tonight and helped break up several rushes.

-In general, the team is still spending too much time in the defensive zone and not setting up well in the offensive zone at even strength

-How did Kaleta get the Caruba Collision hit of the game when all he hit was the boards? Don't get me wrong- it was a good play because it drew the instigator penalty. I just don't see how a whiff should be hit of the game.

-So long, free Center Ice :sadwalk:. I'll be in Buffalo on Friday so I should be able to watch the game, but after that it will be back to audio, VS, and the occasional Yahoo online feed.

-Speaking of Center Ice, for the last two games they put me in a tough spot. They had the home broadcast in HD and the Sabres broadcast in SD. I watched the Islanders game in HD but stayed with the home broadcast tonight, despite the crappy picture.

hammerbillsfan
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I have Centre Ice.

:lolpoint: :op:

rbochan
10-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I was rather shocked to see the Sabers playing the trap!

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
I think Sekera was worlds better in the 3rd and was probably the best D-man that period. He did have too many mental errors early on though.

Ellis was a waiver pick-up from the Kings. I liked the move at the time - he is a very good 13th forward and can kill penalties while playing on the 4th line. He was with the Red Wings last year.

Paille has been outstanding. Next to Vanek he has been the best player this year.

Tallinder was rough his first shift or two, but really picked it up later. He was strong on the PK.

I like how this looks: 18:10, 21:33, 16:02, 21:24, 22:17 and 20:36. That is the time on ice for the defense. (Tallinder low and Sekera high.

The struggles in the first with the trap I think was as much the pace of the game. 8 total shots? Ugh.

Smart timeout by Lindy halfway through the 3rd.

MacArthur did not look out of place on the 2nd line.

Kaleta can sure piss people off. At some point though, he has to drop the gloves. It was a good decision not to tonight.

Meathead
10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
the sabres have now allowed 3 goals in 3 games, two of those games against nhl powerhouses

viva la boring baby!

SabreEleven
10-16-2008, 02:08 AM
- Paille is a keeper

- Drury is the one who got beat by Vanek on that PK goal...sweet!!!!

RockStar36
10-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Vanek has been amazing but so has Paille. He has been all over the ice. I love it. The whole team is playing great right now.

OpIv37
10-16-2008, 01:14 PM
One thing I forgot: The Rangers were running a set play on the PP. Gomez would take the puck behind the net, the two guys playing deep would try to trap him, leaving space directly in front. The winger would come to the front of the net hoping for a pass from Gomez.

I saw them do it at least twice. The first time, the Sabres were all over it. The second time, the Sabres were a little slow to respond but the winger bobbled the puck in front and it gave the D time to converge and make a play on the puck.

It's something to watch for in the rematches with the Rangers.

Bufftp
10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
the sabres have now allowed 3 goals in 3 games, two of those games against nhl powerhouses

viva la boring baby!
they have scored 11. :idunno:

OpIv37
10-16-2008, 06:11 PM

viva la boring baby!

I'll take boring wins over exciting losses.

****in a, that makes me a soccer fan. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 06:25 PM
I'll take boring wins over exciting losses.

****in a, that makes me a soccer fan. NOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:limp: