PDA

View Full Version : Packers thought they had deal for Gonzo

T-Long
10-15-2008, 10:48 PM
PACKERS THOUGHT THEY HAD A DEAL FOR GONZALEZ
Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2008, 11:33 p.m.

Wow.

Not only were the Packers serious players for Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, but the Pack also thought they had a deal.

According to Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal, the Packers drew up the paperwork that would have sent a third-round pick to Kansas City for Gonzalez, only to have the Chiefs back out ten minutes before the 4:00 p.m. EDT trading deadline, and demand a second-round pick.

Per Wilde, the Packers and Eagles offered a third-round selection for Gonzalez, and the Giants tendered a fourth-rounder.

The Falcons and Bills were willing to do more, but Gonzalez wanted to play for neither team.

Currently, the Falcons and the Bills have better records than the Packers and the Eagles. In either Atlanta or Buffalo, Gonzalez would have been greeted as a superhero, and we’re baffled by his reluctance to play for either team.

We’re even more baffled by the misguided decision by Carl Peterson to pull a last-second power play. An unrestrained ego is a dangerous thing, and Peterson now must deal with a locker room full of players who realize that, if King Carl is willing to screw Gonzalez, any of them could get equal or lesser treatment.

CUHATIN
10-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow cant belive he didnt want to play for us!!! We our in position to win the East and with him we would only be more dangerous!!!

Michael82
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Again, like has been said before....Tony Gonzalez can go to hell. I hope he enjoys playing with that pathetic team and getting his ass kicked. **** you, TG! :mad:

BTW....the Bills were willing to do more? I knew it. I would love to see a lot of you front office haters eat some crow right now. You *****ed about the fact tthat the Bills were too cheap for pay for Lee Evans, he got a new deal. You *****ed about the fact that they don't care about making this year better...they made the best offer to bring a player to Buffalo that makes the team better. So...enjoy this....

http://www.unitedwildlife.com/images/s_crow.jpg

Stewie
10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Again, like has been said before....Tony Gonzalez can go to hell. I hope he enjoys playing with that pathetic team and getting his ass kicked. **** you, TG! :mad:

BTW....the Bills were willing to do more? I knew it. I would love to see a lot of you front office haters eat some crow right now. You *****ed about the fact tthat the Bills were too cheap for pay for Lee Evans, he got a new deal. You *****ed about the fact that they don't care about making this year better...they made the best offer to bring a player to Buffalo that makes the team better. So...enjoy this....

:bf1:

Bling
10-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Man, it's tough for you guys to get guys. Nobody wants to play in Buffalo, it seems.

thenry20
10-16-2008, 04:11 AM

LOL!

Get back to me when they either upgrade the line or cut Lynch. Or stop posting altogether when they actually allow TE to be destroyed and have his brains scrambled to a vegetative state!

SquishDaFish
10-16-2008, 04:48 AM
LOL!

Get back to me when they either upgrade the line or cut Lynch. Or stop posting altogether when they actually allow TE to be destroyed and have his brains scrambled to a vegetative state!

Cut LYNCH?? WHY??? WTH is your problem? Are you a fan of the Bills?

Yasgur's Farm
10-16-2008, 06:00 AM

BTW....the Bills were willing to do more? I knew it. I would love to see a lot of you front office haters eat some crow right now. You *****ed about the fact tthat the Bills were too cheap for pay for Lee Evans, he got a new deal. You *****ed about the fact that they don't care about making this year better...they made the best offer to bring a player to Buffalo that makes the team better. So...enjoy this...Well said Mikey... But you forgot about all them know-it-alls who think they have the Crowell thing all figured out.

chernobylwraiths
10-16-2008, 06:22 AM
While I am disappointed that he did not want to play here, it was a choice he was obviously given and I really wouldn't want a player here who doesn't want to play here. Add to that it seems as if he choice possibly doomed him to stay in KC as the GM possibly wanted to match the offers he was being given by Buffalo or Atlanta. So, he possibly F'ed himself by limiting his options. Oh well, we'll survive.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 07:02 AM

:rofl:

Mike review your first paragraph and compare to what you were saying just before Tuesday's deadline. Have you heard Gonzalez say that he did not want to play for Buffalo? We've heard so many bad reports about what we did do, or what we didn't you want to take Florio's word for it? Take the crow, and munch on it yourself, you completely changed your tune in the course of 24 hours.

don137
10-16-2008, 07:14 AM
TG should shut up and quit whining about not being traded if he is going to pull this act. What a tool.
Enjoy being on the worst team in the league TG while the Bills go to the playoffs.

Come November 23rd it's Gonzo hunting season and Poz and company guns will be fully loaded.

THATHURMANATOR
10-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Man, it's tough for you guys to get guys. Nobody wants to play in Buffalo, it seems.
Only gay guys wouldn't want to play for a hardcore city

RockStar36
10-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Yeah, real tough.

Stroud and Mitchell had a real tough time coming over.

Evans had a real hard time signing an extension before becoming a FA.

Give me a break.

madness
10-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Poetic justice anyone? Rot in KC, you *****.

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah, real tough.

Give me a break.
Stroud and MItchell came cheap too.

On the other hand, Ricky Williams gets paid enough for his munchies. Maybe the fins should bring in Henry and Pacman .

Bling
10-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Yeah, real tough.

Give me a break.

Stroud didn't really have much of a choice. And Mitchell isn't exactly a shinning beacon of big name player wanting to play here. The only big name players you get are the ones that you draft. Even then, McGahee wanted out.

Face it, when players are given a chance to play for the Bills, it's not a top priority. They rather player for the Packers, Giants, Patriots if they want to play in cold weather. The Bills constantly get outbidded for the good players. It's a fact of football.

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Stroud didn't really have much of a choice. And Mitchell isn't exactly a shinning beacon of big name player wanting to play here. The only big name players you get are the ones that you draft. Even then, McGahee wanted out.

Face it, when players are given a chance to play for the Bills, it's not a top priority. They rather player for the Packers, Giants, Patriots if they want to play in cold weather. The Bills constantly get outbidded for the good players. It's a fact of football.thats very different from some saying "nobody wants to play for the bills" Just so you know, players would also rather play for the giants, Packs and patriots, before they play for your fins.Nobody wanted Chad as well.

Lets not forget that Wanny and Saban quit coaching the fins to coach college .

Mr. Miyagi
10-16-2008, 08:57 AM

Face it, when players are given a chance to play for the Bills, it's not a top priority. They rather player for the Packers, Giants, Patriots if they want to play in cold weather. The Bills constantly get outbidded for the good players. It's a fact of football.
You're right. Buffalo is nothing like Miami when it comes to attracting players like Ernest Wilford, Chad Pennington, and Joey Harrington.

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:03 AM
You're right. Buffalo is nothing like Miami when it comes to attracting players like Ernest Wilford, Chad Pennington, and Joey Harrington.

You guys have some major ADD problems. I didn't say the Phins attract players, I said the Bills have a hard time getting major players. Instead they have to settle for lesser players. It's going to be pretty embarrassing to be in such a easy position for a playoff berth, and a top older player in the league snubs you.

And if you guys want to compare, Ocho Cinco begged Miami to trade for him... even after they went 1-15. Beat that, and I'll leave this thread.

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:04 AM
thats very different from some saying "nobody wants to play for the bills" Just so you know, players would also rather play for the giants, Packs and patriots, before they play for your fins.Nobody wanted Chad as well.

Lets not forget that Wanny and Saban quit coaching the fins to coach college .

You're grasping at some huge straws if you think Wanny quit for that reason.

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
You're grasping at some huge straws if you think Wanny quit for that reason.
I don't care what his reasons were. Point is, don't go talking trash when your own coaches quit on your organization. I don't blame them. Your fanbase blows. Easily the most fairweathered fans in the league.

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't care what his reasons were. Just like Gonzo had his owns reason. Point is, don't go talking trash when your own coaches quit on your organization.

Wait... so you've never said anything about the Patriots?

Again, I reiterate: when was the last time someone begged the Bills to trade for them?

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Wait... so you've never said anything about the Patriots? ?

Yes I have. But you live in a glass house .

Again, I reiterate: when was the last time someone begged the Bills to trade for them?
thats different from "nobody wants to play for the bills". Lets not forget you hired Culpecker who nobody wanted and later wanted out of Miami after he got there.

How's this, nobody wants to coach the fins except for rejects like Sparano? Even Tuna doesn't want to coach the fins.

Didn't Mcmichael want out of miami or was it Chambers?

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
thats different from "nobody wants to play for the bills". Lets not forget you hired Culpecker who nobody wanted and later wanted out of Miami after he got there.

How's this, nobody wants to coach the fins except for rejects like Sparano? Even Tuna doesn't want to coach the fins.

Didn't Mcmichael want out of miami or was it Chambers?

Desperate for material? None of those statements are true. :rofl:

RockStar36
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Mitchell left the defending Super Bowl champs to come play in Buffalo.

I wouldn't exactly base everything off of what McGahee wanted. I think the feeling was mutual till the end. Hopefully he enjoys being in Baltimore because he sure does suck these days.

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Bueller.... Bueller..

Bling
10-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Mitchell left the defending Super Bowl champs to come play in Buffalo.

I wouldn't exactly base everything off of what McGahee wanted. I think the feeling was mutual till the end. Hopefully he enjoys being in Baltimore because he sure does suck these days.

Kawika Mitchell is a nice player and all, but is he really a big acquisition? He left the Super Bowl champs to make some dough that the Giants weren't offering. That's usually what lesser teams do. They feed off the scraps that the winners don't exactly need. I don't know, it's kind of hard to make an argument that Buffalo is a good player market when this seems to happen every year. Every year the Bills are interested, every year you get snubbed.

RockStar36
10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Bueller.... Bueller..

When was the last time someone really begged for a particular team to trade for them? Besides this apparent NY fetish that Gonzalez has.

RockStar36
10-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Kawika Mitchell is a nice player and all, but is he really a big acquisition? He left the Super Bowl champs to make some dough that the Giants weren't offering. That's usually what lesser teams do. They feed off the scraps that the winners don't exactly need. I don't know, it's kind of hard to make an argument that Buffalo is a good player market when this seems to happen every year. Every year the Bills are interested, every year you get snubbed.

Who has snubbed them?

Bling
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Who has snubbed them?

Let me flip it around: when was the last time the Bills acquired a star player NOT through the draft? A game changing player? Marcus Stroud is arguable? Don't say Kawika Mitchell... :snicker:

justasportsfan
10-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Desperate for material? None of those statements are true. :rofl:

Couldn't dispute it huh? Thought so.
Wanny and Saban quit on the fins while under contract to coach college. Those statements are facts.

As for Chad, who else wanted him? No one. He was dumped by his former team for a retired player. FACT!

Here's another FACT . JASON TAYLOR would rather be a dancer than play for the fins. Imagine that, the best player the fins have had over the last decade wanted out of the organization :roflmao:

Even Culpecker wanted out of Miami. :snicker:

chernobylwraiths
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
And if you guys want to compare, Ocho Cinco begged Miami to trade for him... even after they went 1-15. Beat that, and I'll leave this thread.

That's only because Miami has the biggest base of fans that would understand his name change. And most of them would know it is not eighty five too.

realdealryan
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Schefter's entire blog entry....he speaks the truf.

"Had perennial Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez embraced the chance to play in Buffalo rather than reject it, he would have found out what the late, great Tim Russert knew.

Buffalo is a great football town. It reveres its football heroes. And the football team is pretty compelling — certainly more compelling these days than the Kansas City Chiefs.

But Gonzalez has no one but himself to blame. He crossed the Bills off his wish list. He closed his mind to a small town with a big heart. He limited his opportunities and denied the Chiefs the chance to take the third-round pick, and other compensation, the Bills were offering. This is not entirely Carl Peterson’s fault. Gonzalez also is at fault.

Had Gonzalez been more open-minded, he could have spent the rest of this season with a team chasing a top playoff seed rather than a top draft pick.
Gonzalez should have ripped a page out of Brett Favre’s playbook.

Favre was not granted the chance to play in Minnesota or Chicago, as he would have liked. Instead, he accepted a trade to New York and the Jets. But look at him today.

The Jets are competing for first place. New York is a different type of adventure. Favre is beloved in the Big Apple. His season is interesting. Gonzalez’s is not.

Gonzalez can’t have it both ways. He can’t want to play for a contender and then not welcome the chance to play in Buffalo. He can’t question the Chiefs when his decision has to be equally questioned. This is not how it works for Gonzalez.

His bill has come due."

Bling
10-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Couldn't dispute it huh? Thought so.
Wanny and Saban quit on the fins while under contract to coach college. Those statements are facts.

Saban did. Wanny didn't. Wanny retired before getting fired. You're the only one that believes Wanny quit for college football.

As for Chad, who else wanted him? No one. He was dumped by his former team for a retired player. FACT!

That's a fact. I won't deny that.

Here's another FACT . JASON TAYLOR would rather be a dancer than play for the fins. Imagine that, the best player the fins have had over the last decade wanted out of the organization :roflmao:

You're beyond desperate for material. I present facts that players don't want to be in Buffalo, and you can't handle it.

Even Culpecker wanted out of Miami. :snicker:

Yeah, when he was getting fined for not showing up to practice... oh wait... no, he got banned from practice. Sounds like someone that didn't want to show. :up:

Bling
10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
That's only because Miami has the biggest base of fans that would understand his name change. And most of them would know it is not eighty five too.

What does spanish have to do with anything, cherno?

justasportsfan
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Saban did. Wanny didn't. Wanny retired before getting fired. You're the only one that believes Wanny quit for college football.
Eitherways he quit on the fins. He quit on his players. He quit on the fans. He hasn't retired, he's still coaching.

Since you admitted that Saban wanted to coach somehwere else, does this mean that by your same logic, no one wants to coach the fins?

You're beyond desperate for material. I present facts that players don't want to be in Buffalo, and you can't handle it.:You're the only who's desperately trying to get away from what you said.

You said NOBODY wants to play for the bills. Just because Gonzo didn't want to play for the bills doesn't mean that no one wants to play for the bills. Thats like saying that the fins best player the last 10 years (JT) wanted out of the fins therefore no one wants to play for the fins. Are you following me so far Bling?

Yeah, when he was getting fined for not showing up to practice... oh wait... no, he got banned from practice. Sounds like someone that didn't want to show. :up: you're saying a broken down has been didn't want to practice because he didn't want to play for the fins. Thanks.

JT would rather go dance than practice with the fins because he wanted out as well . FACT.

Novacane
10-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Guess Tony was full of :poop: when he said he wanted to play for a contender. I don't hate the guy for not wanting to come here like some of you but he does come across as pretty stupid saying he wants to play for a contender and then nixes a trade here. Oh well....guess winning was not really that important to him afterall.

RockStar36
10-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Just curious, any doubts on Mitchell being a big signing for the Bills?

Nighthawk
10-20-2008, 09:19 AM

That's a fact. I won't deny that.

You're beyond desperate for material. I present facts that players don't want to be in Buffalo, and you can't handle it.

Yeah, when he was getting fined for not showing up to practice... oh wait... no, he got banned from practice. Sounds like someone that didn't want to show. :up:

Wanny did not retire...he resigned because Huizenga was about to fire him, but he chose to let Wanny save a little face and resign.

Bling
10-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Wanny did not retire...he resigned because Huizenga was about to fire him, but he chose to let Wanny save a little face and resign.

Thank you. I used the wrong word. I meant resign. I know he's out there coaching the Panthers into the ground. :ill: