PDA

View Full Version : DE-C-OLB...mandatory off season needs

jpdex12
10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
No question about it. We are at the upgrade period of boosting our roster in the off season. No more gaps to fill, just improvements to make at these three positions in the off season.

The real question is what is the order of importance and who will be available where when we can fill these needs in the draft or FA?

I always look forward to the off season rhetoric of making a stronger team on paper at least. It sure is enjoyable to be 5-1 right now and not looking forward to the off season and draft already!

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Im already looking at the draft, I think we go DE and OLB in Rounds 1 and 2.

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Throw TE in the mix too.

Out of those 4 positions, I see 2 adressed with vets and two in the draft.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Throw TE in the mix too.

Out of those 4 positions, I see 2 adressed with vets and two in the draft.

Also throw in backup QB, #2 or #3 WR, OG, S, and DT in the mix as well.

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Also throw in backup QB, #2 or #3 WR, OG, S, and DT in the mix as well.

Back-up QB? Yep.

WR? Not sure why. Evans is the #1 guy. Hardy was drafted to be a #2. And Reed is a fine #3 with Johnson around to develop into a #2. Gotta strongly disagree there.

Guard won't happen either. Dockery and Butler are locked up long term.

Safety - sure. Later on or a depth guy. Wilson and Scott can be improved upon, althought neither are horrible.

DT - I told you that awhile ago and said I was wrong. Flip-flopper.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Back-up QB? Yep.

WR? Not sure why. Evans is the #1 guy. Hardy was drafted to be a #2. And Reed is a fine #3 with Johnson around to develop into a #2. Gotta strongly disagree there.

Guard won't happen either. Dockery and Butler are locked up long term.

Safety - sure. Later on or a depth guy. Wilson and Scott can be improved upon, althought neither are horrible.

DT - I told you that awhile ago and said I was wrong. Flip-flopper.

Reed won't be around for forever and to some degree expecting Hardy to come in and be the #2 next year may be asking too much. In a class loaded with talented WRs to not take one at an opportune time may be a mistake. Plus Im not sold on Steve Johnson even being here next year. I think we can upgrade.

OG-we need backup help here, our depth is what needs work.

S-Agreed

DT-Late Round project type pick, nobody early.

SABURZFAN
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
offseason needs??? we're not even done with THIS season yet. :shakeno:

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
And that matters why?

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Reed won't be around for forever and to some degree expecting Hardy to come in and be the #2 next year may be asking too much. In a class loaded with talented WRs to not take one at an opportune time may be a mistake. Plus Im not sold on Steve Johnson even being here next year. I think we can upgrade.

OG-we need backup help here, our depth is what needs work.

S-Agreed

DT-Late Round project type pick, nobody early.

Then I agree about guard. A back-up is a must. I hope that Bell can be a good back-up next year.

And a WR in the 4th or later is always a good idea, but we also know they will not limit themselves to position at that time.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Then I agree about guard. A back-up is a must. I hope that Bell can be a good back-up next year.

And a WR in the 4th or later is always a good idea, but we also know they will not limit themselves to position at that time.

I dont think we can take anybody who will unseat Butler but at least give the kid a boot in the ass. His play is down this year and even you'll admit that and you're a fan of his.

Yea I wouldn't advocate going WR above Round 4 unless somebody just falls to us. Id like to bring in another 6'2+ guy personally.

X-Era
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Im already looking at the draft, I think we go DE and OLB in Rounds 1 and 2.

I would now say any of the following can be our top 2 picks:

C
DE
OLB
TE

I wouldnt mind any of those positions as #1 and #2.

I really think upgrading Ellison is priority #1, Crowell is gone.

Centers dont normally garnish a 1st rounder, but Fowler may leave and if he does that becomes priority 1a. I just think a C can be had a bit later.

At DE, we are really looking for depth, Schobel will be there as will Kelsay and they will likely start.

TE would be a spot where we may get a true upgrade like Gresham or maybe even Coffman (im warming to him a bit).

X-Era
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I dont think we can take anybody who will unseat Butler but at least give the kid a boot in the ass. His play is down this year and even you'll admit that and you're a fan of his.

Yea I wouldn't advocate going WR above Round 4 unless somebody just falls to us. Id like to bring in another 6'2+ guy personally.

Im a fan of DJ Boldin in the mid rounds.

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM

Butler has regressed.

Sadly, Dockery has been almost as bad.

And I agree with the taller WR.

DraftBoy
10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Im a fan of DJ Boldin in the mid rounds.

Good size, and hands but lack of production and athleticism will have him available pretty late I think, I like him a sleeper but not before Round 5 or 6.

jpdex12
10-16-2008, 10:04 PM
I would now say any of the following can be our top 2 picks:

C
DE
OLB
TE

I wouldnt mind any of those positions as #1 and #2.

I really think upgrading Ellison is priority #1, Crowell is gone.

Centers dont normally garnish a 1st rounder, but Fowler may leave and if he does that becomes priority 1a. I just think a C can be had a bit later.

At DE, we are really looking for depth, Schobel will be there as will Kelsay and they will likely start.

TE would be a spot where we may get a true upgrade like Gresham or maybe even Coffman (im warming to him a bit).

I agree but I would really like to see us take a veteran center that becomes a free agent...not some other team's garbage that they let go. I haven't looked to see what FA centers will be on the market. Not often a rookie center can come in and start. Mangold was an exception!

bigbub2352
10-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I think our biggest offseason needs ar TE, C, OLB, DE, FB, QB
no question about it
We need to get a starting TE and C for sure