PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting notes via chat with Mark Gaughn

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/466263.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/466263.html)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Highlights:<o:p></o:p>
On Ashton Youboty also banged up?<o:p></o:p>
Melvin Fowler again was not practicing this morning as the team worked out in the stadium due to a sore elbow. Cornerback is a worry position for the Bills this week due to the strength of the Chargers pass offense and the fact the Bills should be without Terrence McGee again. Ashton Youboty has been bothered by a sore foot, although he probably will play. On the plus side for the Bills, Chargers starting receiver Chris Chambers did not practice again Thursday due to his sprained ankle. Indications from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">San Diego</st1:place></st1:City> earlier in the week were he probably would play. Of course, the Chargers put up 30 points on the Patriots without him last Sunday night.<o:p></o:p>
On Angelo Crowell<o:p></o:p>
Well, this brings up the Angelo Crowell issue again. Crowell had fairly extensive cleanup surgery on his knee after going on IR - more extensive than he would have if he had tried to play later in the year for the Bills. But long-term it's probably better for his knee that he got the "works" done. That's one thing that helped Corto make the team. Another was the fact linebacker Alvin Bowen, the fifth-round draft pick, also went down for the year with a knee injury. .<o:p></o:p>
Tony Gonzalez<o:p></o:p>
From what I understand, the Bills were willing to part with a third-rounder. But the Chiefs wanted a second-rounder. No team was willing to cough that up. .. Gonzalez said at least two teams were willing to give up third rounders. I also was told by one person in the league that Gonzalez was not eager to come to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>. But I think he had his eye on the obvious spot -- the New York Giants. They had the extra picks from the Shockey trade, so it would have been less "painful" for them to pull the trigger. I think if the Bills had offered a second, the Chiefs would have taken it ... would Gonzalez have come? He sure wanted out of KC. <o:p></o:p>
On John McCargo<o:p></o:p>
He was out there practicing again today. I can't see him being on the team much longer. I think they will release him, maybe Saturday. It's obvious they have given up on him. It's obvious he feels unwanted and was very happy to go to the Colts. Bill Kollar is tied of trying to prod him. McCargo, I believe, has tuned Kollar out. The only argument for keeping him, which they might be thinking, is what if Stroud, Williams or Johnson get hurt in the next several weeks? Where do you find a replacement at that position? Nowhere. <o:p></o:p>
On Bills Offensive Gameplan<o:p></o:p>
The Hardy question rasises the big matchup issue of the game Sunday. Bills wideouts vs. Chargers cornerbacks - Quentin Jammer and Antonio Cromartie. I think this is a game in which the Bills will have to do a lot of work in the middle of the field with their "other options" - the RBs out of the backfield, Reed, Parrish, Royal. ... It's fortunate that Parrish is back this week.<o:p></o:p>
ON Whitner<o:p></o:p>
The Bills have had trouble with Antonio Gates in the past. I think Donte Whitner is key to the game plan this week. Expect to see him moved around a bit, either at FS or on slot receivers. The Chargers do not ever use four wideouts, unlike <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Arizona</st1:place></st1:State>. The Bills really could use a healthy Youboty this week. We'll see where he stands.<o:p></o:p>
On only 8 wins this year?<o:p></o:p>
I look at the schedule and see better than that, even if they lose - even if they lose ugly - to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">San Diego</st1:City></st1:place>. ... If they just split with Mia-NYJ-NE and beat KC and SF it's 9 wins.<o:p></o:p>

Ebenezer
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
So, no team was willing to give up a 2nd rounder for Gonzo?? I would agree with that.

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 12:56 PM
IM alarmed about Youboty. If he's not healthy we're in BIG trouble.

Ebenezer
10-17-2008, 12:57 PM
IM alarmed about Youboty. If he's not healthy we're in BIG trouble.
We are in big trouble now. McGee's injury is hurting this team big time.

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 01:00 PM
I’ve apologized for my Gonzo/ Bills FO in here. It was my understanding after listening to KC radio all day on Tuesday they said that per Adam Shefter right after the deadline passed, that nobody offered the Chiefs a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rounder and the best was a 4<SUP>th</SUP> round pick by the Giants. At that point I got real pissed because there wasn’t any reason for the Bills to not go after this man, they could’ve used them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
But to find it that we did offer a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> was very fair on our ends. It shows we made a legit effort. Not given the state of our TE position and the help it would give Evans and Edwards, I may have (IMO) went a little higher. I think he was a game changer for this offense, but you cant get mad at the FO because reportedly they did at least make a legit effort.<o:p></o:p>

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
We are in big trouble now. McGee's injury is hurting this team big time.
No denying McGee's injury has hurt the team, and it does show that he's extremely underated on this defense. He's by FAR our best defender in the secondary.. He also did have two INT's already this year, in a tad over three games.

Could've been headed towards a Cromartie-like, breakout pro bowl season.

The fact he cant even practice yet says he may be missing some more significant time.

trapezeus
10-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Pat, you really like to hit the panic button on anything related to the defense. A lot of teams have nicks and bruises at this point in the season. even the chargers on their side of the ball. youboty is going to play. it seems like the bills pretty regularly get the DB positions scouted well. i have faith in Leodis and corner if they have to be worked into the game to play here and there.

i'm more concerned with our front 4 than our secondary.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2008, 01:05 PM
What worries me is the combination of our #1 CB being out, our #3 CB being banged up, and our best pass rusher likely being out as well. You can get by with a shaky secondary if you put on a lot of pressure. Without Schobel, that becomes less likely. This is worrisome.

Ebenezer
10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
What worries me is the combination of our #1 CB being out, our #3 CB being banged up, and our best pass rusher likely being out as well. You can get by with a shaky secondary if you put on a lot of pressure. Without Schobel, that becomes less likely. This is worrisome.
this game could get ugly simply because of injury. How many teams would be able to lose that, and still have Ko Simpson coming back hobbling, and survive against the Chargers?

Ebenezer
10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I’ve apologized for my Gonzo/ Bills FO in here. It was my understanding after listening to KC radio all day on Tuesday they said that per Adam Shefter right after the deadline passed, that nobody offered the Chiefs a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> rounder and the best was a 4<SUP>th</SUP> round pick by the Giants. At that point I got real pissed because there wasn’t any reason for the Bills to not go after this man, they could’ve used them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
But to find it that we did offer a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> was very fair on our ends. It shows we made a legit effort. Not given the state of our TE position and the help it would give Evans and Edwards, I may have (IMO) went a little higher. I think he was a game changer for this offense, but you cant get mad at the FO because reportedly they did at least make a legit effort.<o:p></o:p>
Sounds to me that KC just wanted to fleece another team.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Another note - can we finally all admit that the Bills FO did a pretty good job in the Gonzalez sweepstakes? While the reports were scattered at first, the media sources now seem to be in agreement that we offered a 3rd (and possibly a player to boot). I am encouraged that we saw the opportunity to improve the team and went after it aggressivey but responsibly--i.e. we pulled the reigns up when the asking price went to a 2nd, too much for a guy with only a season or two left.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM
<o:p></o:p>

Didn't read this before my last post. Nice work. :clap:

Ebenezer
10-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Another note - can we finally all admit that the Bills FO did a pretty good job in the Gonzalez sweepstakes? While the reports were scattered at first, the media sources now seem to be in agreement that we offered a 3rd (and possibly a player to boot). I am encouraged that we saw the opportunity to improve the team and went after it aggressivey but responsibly--i.e. we pulled the reigns up when the asking price went to a 2nd, too much for a guy with only a season or two left.
I admitted it the day it happened.

Saratoga Slim
10-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I admitted it the day it happened.

I wasn't necessarily referring to you Eb--don't even remember what you said on the topic.

My post above was a general one--not really calling out anyone in particular. There were a handful of people castigating the FO without really knowing for sure what the deal was.

Oaf
10-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Who cares about Gonzalez? Who cares about our secondary? If our front 7 doesn't perform exponentially better than they did against the Cards, SD will put up 38 points on us.