PDA

View Full Version : Whitner Can Shut Up The Critics With a Good Game Sunday

raphael120
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
We all know that Antonio Gates is a beast.

We also all know that Whitner is highly touted as a "very versatile safety".

Well, since Whitner is going to be a big part of the defensive gameplan, do you think this is a good game to gauge how much of a "playmaker" Whitner is?

Hence...if Antonio Gates goes wild on us...are we going to make excuses for Whitner, or is he going to be held accountable? Likewise if there are tons of long plays...should be be concerned?

Chris Brown already reported that Ko Simpsons lock on the FS job is in jeopardy (
Ko Simpson, Trent Edwards and Roscoe Parrish are all listed as probable by necessity since they were listed on the injury report. All three are expected to play Sunday, but Simpson may not have a lock tight grip on the starting free safety role. Sunday’s game will tell us more.)...our backfield isn't as good as we thought and I think we'll see Whitner be his typical self...no big plays, no big impact, he'll virutally be non-existant.

Thoughts?

Pinkerton Security
10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I think he can certainly prove sometihng to us. If he gets schooled, I wont be surprised. Not because Whitner is bad, but because Gates is the best TE in the game, receiving-wise. If he comes out and shuts him down, I'll be extremely excited.

BillsOwnAll
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
What critics...oh op?

raphael120
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
What critics...oh op?

haha...I was waiting for that kinda comment.

well you have to admit...Whitner may be leading with his mouth, but he sure aint doing it with any big plays.

shelby
10-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Op won't let us make excuses for Whitner!

:up:

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 01:36 PM
What critics...oh op?
Im a critic.

This is a real good chance for him to step up and make some impact plays.

Dr. Lecter
10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Holding Gates to 3 or fewer receptions and/or 40 or less yards w/o a TD would be an impact, imo (if he is covering him)

patmoran2006
10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
yes it would

mayotm
10-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm sure Donte's main concern is shutting up the critics on this site.

yordad
10-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Unless someone can find me a Bills coach quoted as saying "Whitner will be covering Gates all game long", then I won't judge Whitner based on Gates's stats. It isn't like he will be on him man-to man the whole game. It isn't like others won't have that assignment on given plays. And, if the Chargers are on, Gates can school anyone.

That said, I think Whitner obviously holds a big part in slowing down Gates. If he does good, it will go a long way in helping the Bills win. I just don't think it is as black and white as some will try and say.

When it comes down to it, each could have the game of their lives, or both could suck.

madness
10-17-2008, 02:35 PM
I think we'll see Whitner be his typical self...no big plays, no big impact, he'll virutally be non-existant.

Thoughts?

Sal told it like it is:

They have only allowed nine plays of 20+ yards through the air -- that's tied for the best in the NFL! And only two of those have gone for 40 or more! Something's got to give. .

Whitner can't play up to people's "flashy stat" expectations if no one is throwing down the field against us. I'll take a guy that straight up takes real estate off the field then a guy trying to make big plays while giving up big plays. (see Nate Clements here AND SF. He's probably still rockin' the "playmaker" plates too)

But you're right.... Whitner probably is going to be virtually non-existant.... to the stat whores

Instead, he'll be...helping Leodis out as much as possible while making the calls for the secondary and lining up in the box to help keep LT in check, and lining up at nickelback, and helping either a hobbled Ko or an inexperienced Wilson in the middle...etc.

He may not be the player everyone wants him to be but nobody on defense is more of a "lunch pail guy" then Whitner and I'm glad he's on our side. He embodies the whole idea of putting a team first before padding one's stats.

There's no question how valuable he is among his teammates and coaching staff and Sunday will be just another day where once again he'll be one of the sturdiest cogs in this defensive wheel.

BillsOwnAll
10-17-2008, 02:38 PM
They have only allowed nine plays of 20+ yards through the air -- that's tied for the best in the NFL

Very true stat coach. Whinter isnt doing anything though. obviously.

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Sal told it like it is:
Those stats are skewed. You can't measure those things and make conclusions when only 5-6 games have been played.

Everyone's level of competition is different. Wait till December at least, when those stats become more normalized.

Regardless, I make my conclusions based on watching the players.

BillsOwnAll
10-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Those stats are skewed. You can't measure those things and make conclusions when only 5-6 games have been played.

Everyone's level of competition is different. Wait till December at least, when those stats become more normalized.

Regardless, I make my conclusions based on watching the players.

So are you saying whitner is not doing well?

EDS
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Sal told it like it is:

Whitner can't play up to people's "flashy stat" expectations if no one is throwing down the field against us. I'll take a guy that straight up takes real estate off the field then a guy trying to make big plays while giving up big plays. (see Nate Clements here AND SF. He's probably still rockin' the "playmaker" plates too)

But you're right.... Whitner probably is going to be virtually non-existant.... to the stat whores

Instead, he'll be...helping Leodis out as much as possible while making the calls for the secondary and lining up in the box to help keep LT in check, and lining up at nickelback, and helping either a hobbled Ko or an inexperienced Wilson in the middle...etc.

He may not be the player everyone wants him to be but nobody on defense is more of a "lunch pail guy" then Whitner and I'm glad he's on our side. He embodies the whole idea of putting a team first before padding one's stats.

There's no question how valuable he is among his teammates and coaching staff and Sunday will be just another day where once again he'll be one of the sturdiest cogs in this defensive wheel.

For what it is worth friend of mine, who is from western NY, somehow grew up to be a 49ers fan and has nothing but good things to say about Clements.

madness
10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
For what it is worth friend of mine, who is from western NY, somehow grew up to be a 49ers fan and has nothing but good things to say about Clements.

Yes, he's actually having a pretty good season but I watch the 49ers a lot with my neighbor who's a hardcore fan and we both agree he still is prone to giving up the big plays on occasion by being too over-aggressive.

SF's defense is actually painful to watch because they should so much better then they've played but have suffered from a mediocre pass rush and spending too much time on the field. Other than that, their LB's and secondary are really impressive. Their offense has shown some improvement on substaining drives lately but they play some pretty tough teams.

EDS
10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Yes, he's actually having a pretty good season but I watch the 49ers a lot with my neighbor who's a hardcore fan and we both agree he still is prone to giving up the big plays on occasion by being too over-aggressive.

SF's defense is actually painful to watch because they should so much better then they've played but have suffered from a mediocre pass rush and spending too much time on the field. Other than that, their LB's and secondary are really impressive. Their offense has shown some improvement on substaining drives lately but they play some pretty tough teams.

My understanding is that their D-line is really bad, which, as we Bills fans know, makes for a long day.

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 09:44 PM
So are you saying whitner is not doing well?

He is doing okay. He's had a few bright spots this season, but I don't think he's a game-changer. I also don't think he's lived up to his draft status.

Who knows -- maybe he might get better? Personaly, I'm not counting on much improvement though...

Ingtar33
10-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Whitner close down Gates?

Not in a basic Tampa 2 he won't. it's not his job in that defense.

Maybe when we're in man due to a blitz, or when we're mixing coverage to keep Rivers on his toes... but otherwise the only thing Whitner will have in common with Gates is when Gates is lined up on the strong side.

It's a mostly ZONE defense we run, not man.

It's a mostly 2 deep zone defense. Unless you expect Whitner to abandon the deep zone to cover gates on every play this isn't going to happen.

njsue
10-18-2008, 06:00 AM
This defense minus the walking wounded shut out T O & Chad Johnson.

They will step up huge on sunday.

Night Train
10-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Whitner close down Gates?

Not in a basic Tampa 2 he won't. it's not his job in that defense.

Maybe when we're in man due to a blitz, or when we're mixing coverage to keep Rivers on his toes... but otherwise the only thing Whitner will have in common with Gates is when Gates is lined up on the strong side.

It's a mostly ZONE defense we run, not man.

It's a mostly 2 deep zone defense. Unless you expect Whitner to abandon the deep zone to cover gates on every play this isn't going to happen.

:bf1:

Knowledge is painful to some here. Thanks for explaining what is actually going on. :up:

trapezeus
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
i think the main poster is that whitner doesn't come up with a lot of picks. as the leader, if he could have an above average game for even his standards, that would go a long way to helping this team. i noticed in arizona, he was getting torched on the slot receiver. anytime he tried to cover the slot guy, one on one, the ball came his direction. hopefully they fix that and maybe he can jump a route or two.

Griff
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Donte has noisy critics?

Mr. Pink
10-18-2008, 10:41 PM
So one good to great game in an otherwise average career silences the critics now?

Got ya!

How bout Donte puts up a season that mirrors Reed, Polamulu or Sanders. That would silence the critics.