• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Whitner Can Shut Up The Critics With a Good Game Sunday

We all know that Antonio Gates is a beast.

We also all know that Whitner is highly touted as a "very versatile safety".

Well, since Whitner is going to be a big part of the defensive gameplan, do you think this is a good game to gauge how much of a "playmaker" Whitner is?

Hence...if Antonio Gates goes wild on us...are we going to make excuses for Whitner, or is he going to be held accountable? Likewise if there are tons of long plays...should be be concerned?

Chris Brown already reported that Ko Simpsons lock on the FS job is in jeopardy (
    Ko Simpson, Trent Edwards and Roscoe Parrish are all listed as probable by necessity since they were listed on the injury report. All three are expected to play Sunday, but Simpson may not have a lock tight grip on the starting free safety role. Sunday’s game will tell us more.
    )...our backfield isn't as good as we thought and I think we'll see Whitner be his typical self...no big plays, no big impact, he'll virutally be non-existant.

Thoughts?
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Whitner Can Shut Up The Critics With a Good Game Sunday

I think he can certainly prove sometihng to us. If he gets schooled, I wont be surprised. Not because Whitner is bad, but because Gates is the best TE in the game, receiving-wise. If he comes out and shuts him down, I'll be extremely excited.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

What critics...oh op?

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
        What critics...oh op?
        haha...I was waiting for that kinda comment.

well you have to admit...Whitner may be leading with his mouth, but he sure aint doing it with any big plays.

Comment

• shelby
          The Vanilla admin
          • Jul 2002

Op won't let us make excuses for Whitner!

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
            What critics...oh op?
            Im a critic.

This is a real good chance for him to step up and make some impact plays.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Holding Gates to 3 or fewer receptions and/or 40 or less yards w/o a TD would be an impact, imo (if he is covering him)
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

yes it would

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• mayotm
                  • Jul 2003

I'm sure Donte's main concern is shutting up the critics on this site.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Unless someone can find me a Bills coach quoted as saying "Whitner will be covering Gates all game long", then I won't judge Whitner based on Gates's stats. It isn't like he will be on him man-to man the whole game. It isn't like others won't have that assignment on given plays. And, if the Chargers are on, Gates can school anyone.

That said, I think Whitner obviously holds a big part in slowing down Gates. If he does good, it will go a long way in helping the Bills win. I just don't think it is as black and white as some will try and say.

When it comes down to it, each could have the game of their lives, or both could suck.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by raphael120
                      I think we'll see Whitner be his typical self...no big plays, no big impact, he'll virutally be non-existant.

Thoughts?
                      Sal told it like it is:

They have only allowed nine plays of 20+ yards through the air -- that's tied for the best in the NFL! And only two of those have gone for 40 or more! Something's got to give. .
                      Whitner can't play up to people's "flashy stat" expectations if no one is throwing down the field against us. I'll take a guy that straight up takes real estate off the field then a guy trying to make big plays while giving up big plays. (see Nate Clements here AND SF. He's probably still rockin' the "playmaker" plates too)

But you're right.... Whitner probably is going to be virtually non-existant.... to the stat whores

Instead, he'll be...helping Leodis out as much as possible while making the calls for the secondary and lining up in the box to help keep LT in check, and lining up at nickelback, and helping either a hobbled Ko or an inexperienced Wilson in the middle...etc.

He may not be the player everyone wants him to be but nobody on defense is more of a "lunch pail guy" then Whitner and I'm glad he's on our side. He embodies the whole idea of putting a team first before padding one's stats.

There's no question how valuable he is among his teammates and coaching staff and Sunday will be just another day where once again he'll be one of the sturdiest cogs in this defensive wheel.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                        • Oct 2002

They have only allowed nine plays of 20+ yards through the air -- that's tied for the best in the NFL

Very true stat coach. Whinter isnt doing anything though. obviously.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                          Sal told it like it is:
                          Those stats are skewed. You can't measure those things and make conclusions when only 5-6 games have been played.

Everyone's level of competition is different. Wait till December at least, when those stats become more normalized.

Regardless, I make my conclusions based on watching the players.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                            Those stats are skewed. You can't measure those things and make conclusions when only 5-6 games have been played.

Everyone's level of competition is different. Wait till December at least, when those stats become more normalized.

Regardless, I make my conclusions based on watching the players.
                            So are you saying whitner is not doing well?

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by madness
                              Sal told it like it is:

Whitner can't play up to people's "flashy stat" expectations if no one is throwing down the field against us. I'll take a guy that straight up takes real estate off the field then a guy trying to make big plays while giving up big plays. (see Nate Clements here AND SF. He's probably still rockin' the "playmaker" plates too)

But you're right.... Whitner probably is going to be virtually non-existant.... to the stat whores

Instead, he'll be...helping Leodis out as much as possible while making the calls for the secondary and lining up in the box to help keep LT in check, and lining up at nickelback, and helping either a hobbled Ko or an inexperienced Wilson in the middle...etc.

He may not be the player everyone wants him to be but nobody on defense is more of a "lunch pail guy" then Whitner and I'm glad he's on our side. He embodies the whole idea of putting a team first before padding one's stats.

There's no question how valuable he is among his teammates and coaching staff and Sunday will be just another day where once again he'll be one of the sturdiest cogs in this defensive wheel.
                              For what it is worth friend of mine, who is from western NY, somehow grew up to be a 49ers fan and has nothing but good things to say about Clements.

Comment

Working...
                              X