PDA

View Full Version : Bills may let McGee walk after 2009?

Mr. Miyagi
10-17-2008, 06:06 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

2. Hi Chris,

I was wondering about the Ashton Youboty’s contract. Drafted in 06′ how many years does he have left on his deal? He has obviously stepped up his play and one can argue that he has been the best defensive back on the field this year. What are the chances of he Bills possibly extending Youboty before his on the field play continues to excel and warrants more money down the road?

Thanks and Go Bills!

Sean Lindstrom
CB: Ashton is signed through the 2009 season. He was signed to a four-year deal coming out of college in 2006. As for extending Youboty, I think he may have to wait in line. Just at his position alone, Jabari Greer is up after this season and like Ashton, Terrence McGee is also up after 2009. McGee might prove too expensive which may cater to the team extending Ashton.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

Winfield, Clements, and now McGee? Why do we groom these CBs and then let them go when they are matured?

DraftBoy
10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Fair question to ask Miyagi if what CB says is true. Im not opposed to letting McGee walk but it would be a very hard pill to swallow.

mybills
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
****!

B-DON
10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
if mcgee goes, then expect mclevin to be gone after his rookie contract to if he is any good. i know that's a little far ahead but i'm just sayin

mybills
10-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Greer goes before McGee. :pray:

casdhf
10-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Won't McGee be in his 9th year?

HAMMER
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
"It's a business". Free Agency is the worst thing to ever happen to sports.

Kenny
10-17-2008, 08:39 PM
This might not sound too popular, -but so what if McGee goes? As a corner, he's nowhere as good as Clements or Winfield. To be honest, Ive always thought of McGee as a great nickelback, -but not necessarily a great #1 corner.

He's an excellent returner, -but if we already have Parrish and McLovin, than there's no need to overpay for McGee.

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 09:33 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

Winfield, Clements, and now McGee? Why do we groom these CBs and then let them go when they are matured?

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole time !!

I don't think we should have spent a 1st rounder on a CB since we always let our CBs walk anyways.

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I do not like the McKelvin pick for a number of reasons, some that I have not brought up on this board before:

-- This team will never pay top dollar for a CB, and never has, so why select a CB with the 11th pick? If he turns out to be elite, he'll cost a fortune to re-sign. Are we just renting Leodis for a few years? Shouldn't teams draft 1st rounders to be cornerstones of the team for many years?

-- IF we really are willing to pay top dollar for a CB, we could have just re-signed Nate Clements. Clements was proven. (Note: I don't think we should ever pay big bucks for a CB, and thought it was a good move to not re-sign Nate).

-- I think guys like McGee and Greer are the ideal pair of CBs to have: Greer is a solid cover guy, and handles his business. McGee is the playmaker and an asset on special teams. Both are relatively young guys who won't ever cost a fortune.

-- IMO, our main problem with pass defense last year was lack of a pass-rush, not our CBs. I agree we had no reliable nickle CB, and lacked depth. If the Bills thought Youboty was a bust, we could have gotten 3rd and 4th string CBs via the draft or FA. The Reggie Corner pick was a great pick, IMO.

-- I don't believe the Bills will re-sign Greer for the long term, and if that's the case, we have essentially replaced Greer with McKelvin. Not much of a return in my opinion, considering we used our 11th pick.

-- To answer your question, I think we should have traded down. If that option wasn't there, I was hoping for Derrick Harvey, but the Jags already picked him with the #9 pick. My 2nd preference was Branden Albert, who would've looked great next to Langston Walker. IMO, the Bills blew it with Brad Butler. Our run blocking is EMBARASSING.

-- I would have also been happy with tackles Ryan Clady or Jeff Otah. I would much rather get a situational O-Lineman than a situational CB.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=162887&page=3

ServoBillieves
10-17-2008, 09:56 PM
If we still have Greer, McGee walks.

If we lose Greer, McGee stays.

With Ashton, Greer/McGee, Reggie, and McLovin, we'd only need 1 more corner in the draft and we'd be set.

OpIv37
10-17-2008, 10:06 PM
it's a season and 2/3 from now.

If McKelvin, Greer and Youboty develop, we won't even need him. Who needs an old CB anyway?

mybills
10-17-2008, 10:10 PM

With Ashton, Greer/McGee, Reggie, and McLovin, we'd only need 1 more corner in the draft and we'd be set.
I agree.

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 10:13 PM
it's a season and 2/3 from now.

If McKelvin, Greer and Youboty develop, we won't even need him. Who needs an old CB anyway?

Greer is a free agent after this season, and is 26 years old. I'm not sure if the Bills plan to re-sign him or not.

McGee just turned 28. I don't think he's that old.

mybills
10-17-2008, 10:18 PM
It's a season and two from now, Op.

clumping platelets
10-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Is McGee worth $5-6 million/season?

:no:

mybills
10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Was Clements worth the money?

:YES:

OpIv37
10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Greer is a free agent after this season, and is 26 years old. I'm not sure if the Bills plan to re-sign him or not.

McGee just turned 28. I don't think he's that old.

he plays a position where speed is a major factor.

30 is a huge turning point in the NFL.

BTW, unlike Clements and Winfield, at least McGee got a second contract. CB is the highest paid position in the NFL. The Bills are careful not to overpay vets on the downside of their careers.

If Greer is gone and Youboty reverts to 2007 form by 2009, it would be stupid to let McGee go. But if Youboty and Greer and/or McKelvin are serviceable, we won't need him or the huge salary he will command.

gr8slayer
10-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Greer > McGee

mybills
10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Greer > McGee
:moon:

I'll never cook for you!

Lexwhat
10-17-2008, 11:03 PM
he plays a position where speed is a major factor.

30 is a huge turning point in the NFL.

BTW, unlike Clements and Winfield, at least McGee got a second contract. CB is the highest paid position in the NFL. The Bills are careful not to overpay vets on the downside of their careers.

If Greer is gone and Youboty reverts to 2007 form by 2009, it would be stupid to let McGee go. But if Youboty and Greer and/or McKelvin are serviceable, we won't need him or the huge salary he will command.

My fault. For some reason, I was thinking that McGee would only be 28 when his contract was up.

In that case, I agree 100%. There's no need to pay big money to a guy turning 30 (like the Bills did with Schobel).

This is exactly why the Bills should extend Greer. I don't think he'll be terribly expensive, and he will also be in the prime of his career. The Bills developed him as an undrafted free agent, and he is a classic example of the type of player we should keep.

I'm scared that the Bills won't re-sign him though. I hope I'm wrong.

Michael82
10-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Was Clements worth the money?

:YES:
:no: Have you seen him in San Fran? He's nowhere worth what they paid for him. You are crazy if you think otherwise.

Mitchell55
10-18-2008, 01:45 AM
We are turning into those farmers that breed a horse, try to make it a champion racer, then sell it to someone.

gr8slayer
10-18-2008, 01:46 AM
We are turning into those farmers that breed a horse, try to make it a champion racer, then sell it to someone.
Really? Do elaborate.

jimbohastle51
10-18-2008, 02:34 AM
you can bank that only 1 will be with our team in 2 years. mcgee or greer. mcgee wont get the money that clements got but he will be paid well. it all really depends on mckelvin. if mckelvin pans out than mcgee is expendable and resigning greer or youboty will probably happen. if not they might be more inclined to pay mcgee. also keep in mind guys that mcgee was a 4th round pick so the the time NEXT season is done we will have already had ANOTHER draft class in, we might have another young stud CB to look at as well. and corner could pan out... our coaches and FO are high on him and when the guys from sirius radio were at camp they said he looked real good as well.

mybills
10-18-2008, 08:08 AM
:no: Have you seen him in San Fran? He's nowhere worth what they paid for him. You are crazy if you think otherwise.
Not now. I mean when we let him go..he still had a lot of gas left in the tank.

Michael82
10-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Not now. I mean when we let him go..he still had a lot of gas left in the tank.
but he was still NOT worth the money. No way in hell!

chernobylwraiths
10-18-2008, 08:47 AM
None of our CBs deserve huge money. The Bills let Winfield and Clements walk because they were near top quality CBs in fairly weak fields during the offseason. They both got huge contracts that they didn't deserve. I would have kept Winfield over Clements given the chance, but we just weren't going to lay out the coin. IMO none of our CBs are close to to echelon CBs, therefore it won't take huge money to sign them.

yordad
10-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I like McGee. I think he is our best CB. But, 1.5 years from now, I'm thinking he will be expendable. Someone will want to pay him more then what he would be worth to the Bills. We have solid young talent.

X-Era
10-18-2008, 09:29 AM
"It's a business". Free Agency is the worst thing to ever happen to sports.

Whats a better version?

X-Era
10-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I like McGee. I think he is our best CB. But, 1.5 years from now, I'm thinking he will be expendable. Someone will want to pay him more then what he would be worth to the Bills. We have solid young talent.

Someone will want to pay him more then what he would be worth to the Bills.

Thats basically their motto.

Then sell the team because you dont want to compete. Just that simple.

Jeff1220
10-18-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure what other CBs are due to hit the market, but teams often use their franchise tag on the CB position...tag and trade perhaps?

Philagape
10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Greer > McGee

Agreed

trapezeus
10-18-2008, 09:49 AM
the bills seem to do well with drafting CB's as well. i mean we've been getting quality young CB's for a while now. clements clearly wasn't worth8mm a season. if mcgee goes, next year, we have been picking up quality CB's. Youboty was going to be the first bust in a while, but then he came around to being pretty good. plus he has a nose forpicks. (that reads funny) and he tackles well.

CUHATIN
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
We drafted the next stud CB McKelvin, thats why we will let him walk!!!

We are awesome at drafting good CBs and we never want to pay them when its there time!!

So we will be having this same conversation when its McKelvins time for a huge contract!!

Griff
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Its well known that we don't extend expensive CBs, just hope that McGee is willing to take less money to stay with the team.

Stewie
10-18-2008, 07:26 PM
uh, did anyone else notice the blog said nothing about letting mcgee walk?

DraftBoy
10-18-2008, 08:29 PM

You're putting a lot of faith in a guy who hasnt seen the field hardly at all this season, and hasn't made any plays yet.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2008, 10:20 PM
BTW Corners in a Cover 2 system are pretty interchangeable...

If the scheme works properly it doesn't matter the names.

That's true in other schemes too, just look at New England.

Griff
10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
McGee might prove too expensive which may cater to the team extending Ashton.

it was the last sentence it was all bolded...

Oaf
10-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Man, 7 years, 35 mill would be an absolute steal for holding onto Winfield. Winfield and McGee with Greer and Youboty in the slots. :drool:

mybills
10-19-2008, 02:13 AM
:rofl: :hi5:

and yeah Mikey, he was better than McGee. :doh:

Stewie
10-19-2008, 10:01 AM
it was the last sentence it was all bolded...

so, trading him is no longer an option? hmm...